Quax

Smoke and Cloud rendering

After doing some dogfights over Stalingrad, I realized, that what I thought should be an visual effect of an "inversion layer", which affects clouds and smoke, seems to be a graphical glitch instead:

I made some pics of the smoke. I climb through this series. The top level, to which the smoke is rendered, is climbing with me. If you fly on the deck , the smoke is gone completely. If you climb it suddenly appears.

Perhaps it is like that since a longer time, but I don't think it was like that in the beginning.

Clouds%201_zpsvprjqji6.jpgClouds%202_zpsitcrub8l.jpgClouds%203_zpsnu9xovxw.jpgClouds%204_zpsnbo0gkzw.jpgClouds%205_zpsyftmlxiv.jpg

In the last picture it does look perfect. Plane is above the top level. 

Aaaargh! I inadvertently uninstalled everything! 

Just discovered it now. I had been deleting some old games recently and must have mixed up IL2 1946 and Il2 BoS - or just seen Il2 and clicked "uninstall" because they're both gone. 
And I have to remap everything again!

• Upvote 1

I have noticed odd glitches with the clouds for a long period of time now. They can sometimes appear to be very "flat" and one dimensional. Another thing that I have noticed on and off is if you are flying above a very heary cloud layer and looking down, they appear to "stutter" somewhat.  

Aaaargh! I inadvertently uninstalled everything! 

Just discovered it now. I had been deleting some old games recently and must have mixed up IL2 1946 and Il2 BoS - or just seen Il2 and clicked "uninstall" because they're both gone. 

And I have to remap everything again!

Off topic but check if windows made a system restore point when you uninstalled it, you might be able to undo it. 

Quax, this is definitely not expected behavior.

Have you made any .ini file changes? 

What kind of graphics card are you packing?

I made no changes. I will update the driver (g-force Titan) first, if you don't experience this.

I think, I found out, what is going on:

Smoke and clouds are only rendered up to the horizon when I am looking down on them. If looking up at the clouds the are rendered down to the horizon.

So the horizon is a magical rendering border. 

I am pretty sure, that haven´t been like this from the beginning. Maybe it was the outcome of a patch with new FPS optimization work ?

Perhaps it is not like that for everybody. If someone does not have this weird thing, could you please state your specs ?

I checked this now with three different computers with all graphic presets. And I tested different driver versions of nvidia. The screenshots are taken with a GTX 580 / v 347.88.

1. Above clouds:  clouds are rendered up to the horizon. Clear sky above. This line is not the top of clouds at a specific altitude !!  It moves with my view at the horizon !

Horizon%201_zpsxklkrctx.jpg

2. Altitude at the top of clouds. Clouds vanished totally. They should still be visible below me at this moment, but they are not rendered, because they are below the

view line to the horizon.The smoke is below the horizon, so it is rendered up to the horizon. Therefore there is this unnatural top line of rendering.

Horizon%202_zpscxx54ehg.jpg

3. A bit lower now. The clouds are rendered again above the horizon. No faulty rendering anymore, because they are above the horizon. But now there is this gap

between the top of the smoke and the clouds.

Horizon%203_zpslmszyeai.jpg

4.  Gap getting bigger, as the smoke is rendered only up to the horizon. Clouds stay good as they stay above the horizon all the time.

Horizon%204_zpsflfpiw0b.jpg

5. Getting really ugly now, when flying low, as the smoke doesn´t get above the horizon: (flying on the deck, the smoke vanishes completely)

Horizon%205_zpsmq1hwnxs.jpg

Edited by Quax

780Tis in SLI with latest nVidia drivers. Ultra settings 2560x1440 and 4x FSAA. Screenshots taken with nVidia 3D Vision enabled which causes some anomalies around the gunsight.

post-9266-0-36279700-1427044501_thumb.jpg

post-9266-0-12705100-1427044507_thumb.jpg

post-9266-0-38500900-1427044515_thumb.jpg

I just found out, that I have the correct graphics in SP, and if I connect to a Stalingrad server, it is correct as well !

So, it is no problem with the graphics - it was a faulty MP mission design (pics have been made in a MP mission), but I couldn´t imagine, that this could have an influence on the graphic rendering.   :wacko:

The topic could be deleted now, as it is misleading .... 

• Upvote 1

I just found out, that I have the correct graphics in SP, and if I connect to a Stalingrad server, it is correct as well !

So, it is no problem with the graphics - it was a faulty MP mission design (pics have been made in a MP mission), but I couldn´t imagine, that this could have an influence on the graphic rendering.   :wacko:

The topic could be deleted now, as it is misleading .... 

This is good info to have though, in case someone else runs into it you know?

Maybe a moderator could rename the thread to like [FIXED] Cloud/Smoke rendering issue and move it to the bug forum?

I did have the same problem on SP and other servers. I don´t think it had to do with your server or mission, Quax. Did you update or fiddle with NVidia settings in the meantime ? Could be a coincidence with your mission ?

Finally it is solved. Thanks very much Stick !!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why I didn´t have the bug in SP, but in MP on my server, but not on other servers. Only there I used TS. But never ever I would have thought about TS overlay. 

• Upvote 1

hello 

i doo have this bug since a long time but i just ignore it but now it start to anoye me so bad

i would like to know HOW to fix it because in this tread nobody found a way to fix it...

plz help im desesperate

srry for my bad english

It seems to be overlay related. I can confirm this, I put the steam overlay for fps on and the cloud and smoke rendering was terrible until I turned it off.

Edit: i5-4690k @ 4.0 ghz, gigabyte 280x OC gpu, 8 gb 1866 cas9 ram.

60+ fps on ultra

Edited by Porkman
  • Upvote 1

i have the FPS overlay that show my fps on a corner and the steam overlay that make me able to press Shift+tab and then talk to my friend without ALT+TAB ima give it a shot and if it work you are my here STALIN! thanks

never thinked it would be that easy...

Thanks man  i was thinking i was going to face a issue like CLOD and the stutter but seems like it was a 2 click fix :) very happy whit that thanks! thanks! and thanks again now im happy i can play with a beatifull graphicall scenary"""

Hi all, I have been playing clod and bos for a while, but im a bit of hack when it comes to pc stuff. heres machine specs  i7 3770 3.4Ghz/3.9Ghz   RAM: 8GB  Intel 120GB SATA3 SSD  Hard Drive SATA3 High Performance 7200RPM GPU nvida 660ti (now a MSI gtx970)

I recently changed my monitor from an old aoc 1600x900 to an ASUS vx238H 60hz. after the change I noticed a few tiny stuuters so up graded to the MSI GTX 970.

Both Clod and BoS ran well on the old mon with 660ti.

With the GtX 970 in BoS im seeing some jumpy cloud rendering just at the whispy bits at the top and some kind of concentric patches of colour in the sky and in smoke, game play is smooth as always up round the 60 fps no matter what alt im at even over Stailingrad

I dont run team speak overlay.

In the blue sky I see the same kind of pixalated colour change in Clod too. Its kind of minor I guess but just its irritating.  i also get jaggy shadows in cockpit.

I run Bos at 1920x1080 and changing down or up doesnt make a diff, I run generally on High graphis setting , just because the weird shimmering of a plane against clouds doesnt appear so strong, game still runs smooth on ultra too so no complaints there.

Any ideas?....... I have some pics... but im to stupid to see how to post em :wacko:

I left the NVCP at default for testing...ive mucked with it a bit but I dont seem to notice any real changes with it.

Hope some one out there with a big pc brain has some hints for me..... sorry if I sound silly in my explainations

Brief Description: Ripping of clouds and a temporary loss of graphical AA

Detailed Description: Particularly when I select average clouds... I run 1280 / 720p resolution on a 42" Toshiba monitor. I've found a file titled 'me_weather_presets'...and I wondered if this file can be adjusted for the cloud particles that are displayed...?? Since I have a middle of the road system pertaining to graphics (Radeon 8670HD), can this file be adjusted so that I won't experience stutters as the processes are delivered to the screen? My system is an HP Envy 700-216 running Windows 8.1 (64bit) Thank You Most Kindly! 

post-64404-0-44232300-1431836340_thumb.png

post-64404-0-55216400-1431836348_thumb.jpg

Edited by CuMelter

By rippling do you a kind of jerky render at the tops and a blotchy apperance? Thats kind of what i get. Does you game run otherwise smooth?

It runs smooth once I figured out that BoS doesn't want any input from my Radeon graphic settings...other than to select MultiSampling or SuperSampling on the AA....but BoS wants control of the Alias and the Anisotrop. I have exhausted myself to find that BoS will run fine on my system albeit there is a bit of confusion on what to do with the particle code IMHO. And I believe its BoS handshaking with Radeon and Radeon doesn't know quite how to handle the particle code...particularly the cockpit shadows used in CoD & Bos....the shadows appear ripped (large cubing) and I see the same thing with the horizon with cloudy or average clouds.  Definitely my system stutters when I select overcast conditions. So I either have a junk system or I merely need an honest $300 video card which will have to wait since home repairs come first.  IL-1946 never looked so gorgeous before my eyes with this system and Wings of Prey/War Thunder are absolutely stunning with maxed settings & no stutters whatsoever.  I've been working with computers since 1981...yes....81 with a 19 in front of it. I would have thought that, by now, all graphics trials & testing would be completed. Here's the power switch...here's the mouse....click program....look great. No more musical chairs with video settings.  Its silly to make so many different levels of architecture today. Make one killer motherboard, killer processor....killer integrated graphics....butt load of ram and be done with worrying about cost control.

Sounds like similar too me, funny thing is I dont remember it being like this with my old 660ti.I cant imagine why a 970 would run worse. I ran the 3D mark benchmark thing last night and got 9902 and 10003 the two times i ran it aprently in the top 90% of tests.

I get pretty good frame rates everywhere but its just the jerky top whisps of the cloud that seem to be haveing trouble. I wonder if the blotchy colour in smoke, sky and clouds is more something to do with the monitor than the card?

Is it odd that the GPU never really runs more than 60% often down around 40% and might spike to 85% down low in stalin grad with 4 planes.

How do I up my screen shots with the stats from MSI afterburner on to this forum page? I jst dont see an icon to do it with....Im very likley just being forum ignorant.

If CPU would you get if you had my system? maybe its a bottle neck?

Mon :asus vx238H

- CPU:  22nm Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770 3.4Ghz/3.9Ghz turbo core x 4 Quad Core LGA 1155 8MB Cache Super Processor.

- Motherboard: Asus / Gigabyte New B75 Chipet, LGA1155, ~USB 3.0 & SATA3 6Gb/s

-RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 dual channel

-Intel 120GB SATA3 SSD

-Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB ( 1000GB ) SATA3 High Performance 7200RPM , 6.0 Gb/s --> Double SATA2 's bandwidth

-GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 256 bits

-Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550 Mid Tower Elegance Case, . one USB3.0 , one USB 2.0, Audio & Mic

-PSU: Top brand Acbel iPower G600 Black Color 600W 12cm super quiet cooling fan high performance Power supply , 80 plus ( 80% efficiency) certified.

The AMD Radeon on my system has a power adjustment (1800-3700 MHz)...I noticed that if I slide it down to 2300 MHz minimum, things ran super smoothe. Which in my lay understanding, the processor takes a break on cached moments, then new image processing creates the stutter due to a lag coming back up from idle speeds. But at any rate of clock, my system shows tearing where the clouds meet the Horizon. On Clear, Cloudy or Average, my system can juggle it fairly well. But after average, forget it. I can't stand a stuttering flight sim....or any stutter for that matter.

Fixed the weird blocky circles in the blue sky, seems it was a gamma correction. not the in game one but I used "quick Gamma" and it disaperared in bot Clod and BoS :)

but the tops of the wispy clouds still render in jerky stages, Im thinking this may have alwyas been there but i didnt notice on the smaller low res screen....clod clouds seem much better the tops are not animated and this gives a better effect, whwn doing  a 150kts past clouds in real life you dont notice the movement of the rising air in the cloud topsjust your own realitve movement too the cloud itself. does anyone else notice this cloud glitch?

Well I have to stand corrected with regards to the Radeon 8670HD capabilities. I made a mere switch over to 'High Quality' and now my clouds no longer rip/tear and stutters are gone. Took it all the way from Average Cloud to Overcast...this middle of the road system juggled it just fine....and makes me a proud owner of BoS. I still need to install weaker springs in my flight stick to fly campaigns!

For Google's Records, anyone using the AMD Radeon series and needs help achieving a good smooth BoS screen would do well to remember the following-

Let BoS handle anti-alias and anisotropic settings.....

Anti-Aliasing Mode  -Use App Settings
Anti-Aliasing Samples  -Use App Settings
Filter  -Standard
Anti-Aliasing Method  -Multisampling
Morphorlogical  -Off

Anisotropic Filtering Mode  -Use App Settings
Anisotropic Filtering Level  -Use App Settings
Texture Filtering Quality  -High Quality
Surface Format Optimize  -Off

Vertical Refresh  -Off
OpenGL Triple Buffering  -On

Tessellation Mode  -AMD Optimized
Maximum Tessellation Level  -AMD Optimized

post-64404-0-95432900-1432048469_thumb.png

I have this same issue still.  Was there any solid solution found?

I have it in SP and MP. 

hmmm, I don't have any overlay enabled, not steam not teamspeak, nothing. Everything else looks great but just the very whisppy edges of the clouds stutter in their rendering. Im all ears if anyone has any ideas. Its small detail but Id love to fix it.

Cheers