BlackSix

Game version 1.010 discussion

Install was easy & appreciated , But the 190 is still all over the sky  with FFB stick.The only way I can hold on to a steady shot is in a hard bank & this risks secondary stall.It is so frustrating having a heavily armed brute like the FW and not being able to fully use it. :angry:

I don't fly much, but I have had the impression for a couple of years that FFB and "accurate" flight models will play well together less and less. I have the MS FFB2, which seems to work on the principle: I move the stick, the game calculates what resistance I should feel, I attempt to resist that force, THEN the stick position input is finally applied to the control surfaces. It feels like a control loop that influences the plane too late and comes in all at once. I'm always behind the curve. I noticed that BoS implements a bit differently, as it actually influences the stick position from trim. It seems ALMOST correct in that regard, but you literally use up too much (in my opinion) stick travel. This is my very uneducated guess, but I think FFB of this type has no future. Then again, I think center slop from wear may be a major factor, and mine certainly has some of that.

Edited by buster_dee

I tried a FFB stick once. The G940. I realized it would be impossible to aim accurately with it and retuned it. FFB feels like a bunch of cheap DC motors pushing on the stick and made the action really rough. I suppose it could have been defective. When accurate FMs and the sensitivity of a small tabletop stick are considered I figure FFB is a no go. It might feel "realistic" and I actually like the rumble effect of console controllers. But aiming accurate is more important to me.

Edited by SharpeXB

Sharpe, I use G940 with FFB and it works very good.

You just have to find the right settings.

I have centering string unchecked (off), but centering force (which increases with speed - like IRL) makes a huge difference in making the plane much more stable, diminishing all that wobbling.

Maybe you had the other two options (not at my gaming comp ATM) set too high, making the stick shaking when firing.

Try to set them lower and play with the centering force and you won't regret ;) 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the FFB controls in BoS are different from RoF, so you can adjust the centering force and the rumble effect (guns etc.) seperately and turn it almost all the way down. I never had issues with accuracy with my FFB2 in RoF and it also didn't have a rough action (can't say anything about the G940 though).

In addition to the fix on the stutters, was their any other optimization tweaks?  I would swear that my frame rates are up from 1.009.  Rose colored glass effect or is anyone else seeing this?

I have centering string unchecked (off),

Where is that option? I would love to turn that off! That is not an in-game option is it? So, I assume that is a Logitech software option? Note, I did not install the Logitech software, and I assume that option is in there somewhere? If so, I guess I can install it.

but centering force (which increases with speed - like IRL) makes a huge difference in making the plane much more stable, diminishing all that wobbling.

Bingo!

That and 'feeling' the force get lighter as you adjust the trim is so realistic! That and a FFB stick gives you a 'sense' of 'e' related to 'speed' because the stick forces get lighter the slower you go and stiffer the faster you go.. I have been using FFB sticks since the mid 1990s, my 1st FFB was the old CH FFB stick, which was pre-usb and used the old game port connection. Than the Microsoft FFB and FFB2, stuck with the MSFFB2 stick for over a decade.. Still have two new in the box! But, when the Logitech G940 came out, I figured I would give it a try.. Sadly the throttle and rudders were totally worthless crap in the early models! Due to noisy feedback. I heard they fixxed it in later models, but, too little too late, the stick got such a bad rep that they discontinued it.

On that note, is there anyone out there making a FFB stick today?

Maybe you had the other two options (not at my gaming comp ATM) set too high, making the stick shaking when firing.

Ill bet $100 that was his problem! I turned the shake down to zero, in that I don't need it messing up my aim. All I want is the force so I can 'feel' the trim setting and 'e' state

Sharpe, I use G940 with FFB and it works very good.

You just have to find the right settings.

I have centering string unchecked (off), but centering force (which increases with speed - like IRL) makes a huge difference in making the plane much more stable, diminishing all that wobbling.

Yes I hear good things about the 940. It's possoble mine was just defective.

I tried a FFB stick once. The G940. I realized it would be impossible to aim accurately with it and retuned it. FFB feels like a bunch of cheap DC motors pushing on the stick and made the action really rough. I suppose it could have been defective. When accurate FMs and the sensitivity of a small tabletop stick are considered I figure FFB is a no go. It might feel "realistic" and I actually like the rumble effect of console controllers. But aiming accurate is more important to me.

The G940 out of the box was one of the worst sticks I've tried and I was devastated when I got it. It felt so rough almost like I was grinding the gears every time I tried to move it and it was like set in concrete or someone put some gravel or sand in it before shipping it to me  :wacko:. It also had a huge FFB dead zone in the middle that made flying accurately impossible. 

After installing the latest firmware & lowering the FFB strength from the default Hulk mode it became perfect. Close to no FFB dead zone and just as smooth as the MSFFB2. (Much smoother than any of the spring stick I have as all use that stupid plate under the spring to center the stick)

Where is that option? I would love to turn that off! That is not an in-game option is it? So, I assume that is a Logitech software option? Note, I did not install the Logitech software, and I assume that option is in there somewhere? If so, I guess I can install it.

Not at home but I'm pretty sure you'll find it in= Start->Devices & printers->Right click joystick ->Game controller settings->mark g940 stick and click properties->Settings=

post-20914-0-49362700-1426860730_thumb.jpg

Recommend trying out having the overall one to 150% and spring around 80% , 0% damper & turned off centering spring Then lower the ingame forces and shake until it feels good for you, you can alt tab out of the game and change it on the fly.

With the g940 ghetto stick extension mod and ingame settings around 40-50% force gives me smooth movement around combat speeds and very hard stick when picking up too much speed in dives. 

Not at home but I'm pretty sure you'll find it in= Start->Devices & printers->Right click joystick ->Game controller settings->mark g940 stick and click properties->Settings=

attachicon.gif18895i2695E2E0E73EB2C6.jpg

Thanks Penshoon!

I just did that, and, as I expected, looks like Ill have to install the Logitech sofware.. I try to avoid doing that when ever posable, but, in this case looks like Ill have to. Thanks for the screen shot, now I know what to look for once I install it.

Thanks Penshoon!

I just did that, and, as I expected, looks like Ill have to install the Logitech sofware.. I try to avoid doing that when ever posable, but, in this case looks like Ill have to. Thanks for the screen shot, now I know what to look for once I install it.

I have it installed and I always close it down after restarting the pc. Not much for Logitech software. 

Thanks Penshoon!

ACE, these settings work for me:

18ezxh.jpg

o8bdac.jpg

Ofc, every stick is different (ladies would confirm)

I'm glad to have gotten some joystick feed back here even if it is a bit OT.Let me take advantage of your expertise & go into more detail.It may help in finding a solution or if I need to get a new joystick in time for BoMoscow release."

I have  Microsoft FFB 2.It is old but still functions well with the old Il-2,CloD & RoF.Most of the time I play these sims with what might be called "Custom settings ( i.e.Stalls & spins off &/or simplified physics etc.) I am not so dedicated as to fly full real except here in campaign mode here I fly the next best thing..."Normal".Although challenging I can handle all the aircraft fairly well with my current joystick except the 190 which seems unstable in nearly every axis .It wobbles all over the sky in every axis & only responds to the most gentle of stick inputs.Anything violent &say good bye to control.... except in tight banks for some reason.. It has been thus since it was first introduced. I have just managed to make it work in campaigns but it drives me crazy.If I play in the Single"Missions"  I check "simplified Physics & rudder Assist" & the beast becomes managable again.Still not as steady as the 109's but flyable & a killer. Of course as all of you know there aren't too many missions for the 190 (yet?) so it is somewhat limiting.( Don't get me started on the quanity &/or quality of the missions avaiiable,with the exception of Veteran's efforts.)

I just checked and my FFB has no real advanced settings beyond calibration.I have fooled a bit with the "curves &sensitivity "settings in "Controls" of the 3 axis's of the stick and to be honest there has been a bit of improvement ( I think) but not much with the 190.As a matter of fact I don;t get much of the FFB effects in this sim even tho I have it "pegged to maximum effect.in settings.

Four months ago I bought a Logictech stick, but it had no appreciable improvement ( maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance & I didn't play at all with its settings.) I returned it within a week.

So there you are -as complete a description as I have time for. I like the trusty old FFB for my other sims and for this one too as long as I stay away from the 190 ( which as mentioned is pretty sad,) Perhaps the above will give you an idea of what i should buy when the ol'FFB wers out or when enough new features in BoS or BoM make it worthwhile....or perhaps you'll have a way i have not thought of to make the FFB2 work a bit better with BoS?

The G940 out of the box was one of the worst sticks I've tried and I was devastated when I got it. It felt so rough almost like I was grinding the gears every time I tried to move it and it was like set in concrete or someone put some gravel or sand in it before shipping it to me :wacko:. It also had a huge FFB dead zone in the middle that made flying accurately impossible.

After installing the latest firmware & lowering the FFB strength from the default Hulk mode it became perfect. Close to no FFB dead zone and just as smooth as the MSFFB2. (Much smoother than any of the spring stick I have as all use that stupid plate under the spring to center the stick)

18895i2695E2E0E73EB2C6.jpg

Recommend trying out having the overall one to 150% and spring around 80% , 0% damper & turned off centering spring Then lower the ingame forces and shake until it feels good for you, you can alt tab out of the game and change it on the fly.

With the g940 ghetto stick extension mod and ingame settings around 40-50% force gives me smooth movement around combat speeds and very hard stick when picking up too much speed in dives.

Wow. That's interesting. I wasn't smart or patient enough I suppose and just returned it figuring it was defective. Your first impression sounds exactly like what I thought.

Wow. That's interesting. I wasn't smart or patient enough I suppose and just returned it figuring it was defective. Your first impression sounds exactly like what I thought.

It was the first time you tried an FFB stick and you didn't have anything to compare it to. Of course you assumed that's just how it worked and it sucked, I totally understand you and think many reasoned exactly like you and returned it straight away. Along with the pedals not being great range wise and the issues with spiking pots in the throttle it not a product I can recommend unless you just want the stick. 

It wasn't a good idea to have the whole setup tied together. You couldn't for example just buy the stick separatly.

In Logitech profiler click on Device  -> Game controllers ->  Logitech G940 joystick -> Properties -> Settings

and you should be there...

Edited by Koan

Yeah, thanks.. I mess up and dl the x86 version 1st, got the x64 and now I got the options! Thanks again

There are a couple of new-ish FFB yokes (Brunner and Iris I think), but these will frighten your wallet. The "Iris" operates on a principle that I think has the right idea. It uses magnetic fields to resist movement (haven't looked in the Brunner, but its girth implies a similar tech is used). I think control position is more immediately "felt" by the sim, while the resistance works in parallel. Anyway, I wonder if something like IL-2 Joy Control would help.

For the g940 all you have to do is crack open the petals and tighten the wire spades that connect to the pot as they are a bit loose causing spiking. The throttle spiking is the same issue you just need to move a wire and re clamp it so moving the throttle doesn't tug on the wire. It's all really easy to fix despite the fact that it should have been that way new. If you want to go deaper you can crack open the joystick and make some intermediate level mods (new bearings and a custom spacer and some washers) to tighten up the slop. 

I highly doubt dampening force is even applied in this game so adjusting that slider won't do much for ya. Spring effect seems to be the only force this game applies. 

Edited by driftaholic

Interesting on the G940: I have the full three control set up, it was the first FFB stick I had, and at first I shared SharpeXB's experience and found it very coarse so I just switched FFB off. Fiddling around with the Logitech settings finally gave me something I can live with and now I cannot imagine playing without it! Which is a shame as it is starting to make grinding noises on stick forward movements...(:

The pedals are no better than OK, I preferred my old Simpeds but eventually I could not get them to work with a new PC. As for spiking on the small rotary controls: I never use them, too small and fiddly, much better to get the cheap Saitec three throttle quadrant as an add-on, you can reach for the levers and feel where they are or see them at a glance.

"17. AI bombers and attack planes won't attempt to dogfight in Duel missions, they perform evasive maneuvers and rely on their turrets;"

Has someone noticed that?

In my case a He-111 still perform loopings and barel roll ad nauseam in order to chase me...

"17. AI bombers and attack planes won't attempt to dogfight in Duel missions, they perform evasive maneuvers and rely on their turrets;"

In my case a He-111 still perform loopings and barel roll ad nauseam in order to chase me...

I've spent last night attacking 111s and they don't seem to play offensive rolls, but instead perform evasive maneuvers. At least that's my limited experience.

dear developers:

we(lot of payers) realice that the simulator is getting worst in playability. 

The game ( no longer simulator ) looks like a house when you can cry and the developers change what you want. buaaaa my favorite plane does not perform as I want.... dont worry, we can change that. 

In last patch,  the damage of the planes has been modified .... now you can make high Gs manuveur with a wing full of holes.... Are we  crazy ? what we want? a plane shooter? do you think that one plane with a sigle 8mm shot shot on engine block is not enough to stop it? perhaps you need to read more about planes....

perhaps one day you will see a electronic sky fully of german planes becouse no one whats to fly russian.

PDT: the La5 (premium russian plane is a bull shit

you (developers) are loosing players and future inversors for your proyect....

• Upvote 2

Try against the Pe-2, there the difference is huge.

I also didn't notice much difference when going against He-111 and i still have a hard time to believe that they have the same flight model as the player when i see what they can do with 100% fuel and two 1000kg bombs attached to the plane.

The G940 out of the box was one of the worst sticks I've tried and I was devastated when I got it. It felt so rough almost like I was grinding the gears every time I tried to move it and it was like set in concrete or someone put some gravel or sand in it before shipping it to me :wacko:. It also had a huge FFB dead zone in the middle that made flying accurately impossible.

After installing the latest firmware & lowering the FFB strength from the default Hulk mode it became perfect. Close to no FFB dead zone and just as smooth as the MSFFB2. (Much smoother than any of the spring stick I have as all use that stupid plate under the spring to center the stick)

18895i2695E2E0E73EB2C6.jpg

Exactly how i der my one up

The only change i would love to have:

Make the lagg and La 5 nicly balanced like the yak

It seems like both have the CoG modeld 0,5m back off the wingchords line

Over all 1.010 was a huge step for BoS! Its simply amazing!

Edited by =LD=dhyran

dear developers:

The game ( no longer simulator ) looks like a house when you can cry and the developers change what you want. buaaaa my favorite plane does not perform as I want.... dont worry, we can change that. 

In last patch,  the damage of the planes has been modified .... now you can make high Gs manuveur with a wing full of holes.... Are we  crazy ? what we want? a plane shooter? do you think that one plane with a sigle 8mm shot shot on engine block is not enough to stop it? perhaps you need to read more about planes....

perhaps one day you will see a electronic sky fully of german planes becouse no one whats to fly russian.

Are we flying the same "game"? Honest to God, sometimes I just shake my head in wonder at some posts. And this post warranted two upvotes?

• Upvote 5

dear developers:

In last patch, the damage of the planes has been modified .... now you can make high Gs manuveur with a wing full of holes.... Are we crazy ? what we want? a plane shooter? do you think that one plane with a sigle 8mm shot shot on engine block is not enough to stop it? perhaps you need to read more about planes....

65_wat.jpg Edited by forsale
  • Upvote 3

Anybody else notice that the "esc key bug" seems to be back with this latest update?  

I went in to do some testing on the hit sound situation, and at least 50% of the time or more I could not get out of the mission with the Esc key - had to alt-tab out and shut down.

Haven't seen this problem since a while back, but now it's here again, at least for me.

dear developers:

Are we flying the same "game"? Honest to God, sometimes I just shake my head in wonder at some posts. And this post warranted two upvotes?

Go figure.....

Yes, we play same " game" from different perspective. And I still don't know yours.

Total unfair.

But perhaps you need to see forward and ask yourself where the "game" is going.

• Upvote 1

Yes, we play same " game" from different perspective. And I still don't know yours.

Total unfair.

You are making less and less sense with every post you're making in this topic.

Please Tell me please why Am I wrong.

Becouse I can'T say only " oh my god" or shut up!!!

Here's the trick... if, no matter what, all you ever do is piss on what is released... it becomes readily apparent that while you have zero clue as to what goes IN to making something of this scale of complexity, that is not tempering your brain/mouth filter.

This dev team is in full stride fixing, refining, tweaking, and adding free content.

When the people busting their ass to do this are just inundated with this constant. stream. of. nonconstructive. piss. they start feeling like this:

When they start feeling like that, over time, the entire endeavor suffers.

So, step back, look at yourself... and ask "Hey, am I ever doing anything positive?  Constructive?  Is everything I type just urine-text?"  and maybe adjust accordingly.

The "goods" of this sim outweigh the "bads" by orders of magnitude.

• Upvote 3

The "goods" of this sim outweigh the "bads" by orders of magnitude.

My thoughts exactly.

Total unfair.

It's like everything else, whats your evidence?

You keep saying "fair" like it matters. If you think the planes don't fly right please detail how. Luftwaffe types are usually very detailed in regard to lacking performance, the Russians just b@$!h about fairness.

Edited by forsale

English is obviously not Kancers first language -- that's fine, but his point is ridiculous. 
The developers didn't change the 190 based on whining or because a lot of people asked for it, they changed it because of the evidence provided.

We should applaud the devs for that, not criticise them.

English is obviously not Kancers first language -- that's fine, but his point is ridiculous. 

The developers didn't change the 190 based on whining or because a lot of people asked for it, they changed it because of the evidence provided.

We should applaud the devs for that, not criticise them.

I agree, but it's a moot point, after all the 190 wasn't at BoS.  I think after all the updated the Dev's have provided there is little doubt of the time and devotion that they are putting in. Not everyone is going to be happy with certain aspects of the game (I'm one for sure) and a fair number of us have a wants list (I'm realistic and know full well "you don't always get what you want") but I really enjoy the game and look forward to what the future brings. 

dear developers:

You should not have worried. On Soviet aircraft will always fly a lot of players.

La-5 good airplane. It just need to learn how to fly.