Sign in to follow this  
Alesia

Opinions on CH Products FighterStick, Throttle, and Pedals

So I've been looking at getting these to upgrade out of my Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X set but I would like to know this community's opinion on them before I commit to anything.  The fit my $100-$200 price range and seem to be of good quality.  I don't want to dump much over $200 unless the quality is there and I won't spend as much for say, a Warthog or Cougar and I've heard the Siatek Offerings have problems.  So opinions on the CH Products line up and are there any alternatives I may have not seen before?

Stick: http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-200-571-Fighterstick-USB/dp/B00006B84X/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380823749&sr=1-1&keywords=ch+products

Throttle: http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Pro-Throttle-USB/dp/B00006B84Z/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380823749&sr=1-3&keywords=ch+products

Pedals:  http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Pedals-Simulator-300-111/dp/B0000512IE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380823749&sr=1-2&keywords=ch+products

The stick is amazing. I went with the Saitek Combat pedals instead to get more distance between the two pedals.

• Upvote 1

There will no doubt be plenty of people turning up to praise CH stuff... there's no faulting the build quality, you won't find a better put together mass market stick. The HAT switches are particularly nice, not to mention the programming software. If you crack the thing open, the internal components are all top quality stuff.

However, see if you can get your hands on a set before you buy - personally I really don't like the ergonomics, the stick is OK if you're mounting it in a 'pit at hip height like in an F16, but at desktop height I found it uncomfortable.

The throttle though... I guess it's a love or hate thing... Same awesome build quality, but the thing that rules it out for me is that it's a linear slider. Most other throttles follow an arc - so you can instantly tell your power setting by the position of your hand. There's no way of telling with the CH throttle without either looking at the unit itself or looking at your instrumentation. Oh, and there's no rotaries.

Just my personal preference, though. :)

• Upvote 3

Can't speak on the stick and throttle.. but the Saitek pedals are better IMO. They have a smoother throw and a wider  stance.

The Saitek sticks are not bad either. I think the X-52 Pro is a decent stick but CH makes good stuff.

• Upvote 1

The stick is amazing. I went with the Saitek Combat pedals instead to get more distance between the two pedals.

Which model?

There will no doubt be plenty of people turning up to praise CH stuff... there's no faulting the build quality, you won't find a better put together mass market stick. The HAT switches are particularly nice, not to mention the programming software. If you crack the thing open, the internal components are all top quality stuff.

However, see if you can get your hands on a set before you buy - personally I really don't like the ergonomics, the stick is OK if you're mounting it in a 'pit at hip height like in an F16, but at desktop height I found it uncomfortable.

The throttle though... I guess it's a love or hate thing... Same awesome build quality, but the thing that rules it out for me is that it's a linear slider. Most other throttles follow an arc - so you can instantly tell your power setting by the position of your hand. There's no way of telling with the CH throttle without either looking at the unit itself or looking at your instrumentation. Oh, and there's no rotaries.

Just my personal preference, though. :)

The HOTAS X is linear I think with an indent at 50% throttle so it probably wouldn't bother me too bad.  Lack of rotaries doesn't bother me too bad either, IMO.  Thanks for you input.

I have CH pedals and a Throttle Quad. Both work great. The pedals I have had for almost 9 years now and are stilling going strong. Their only drawback is they are pretty close together and do not have  a wider stance. But since space is limited for me inside an Obutto cockpit they work great.

But those Saitek Pro Combat pedals look awesome.

As for the stick it's very smooth, but their aren't as many buttons and rotories like on the Saiteks.

I went Saitek AV8R to X-52 and then to CH HOTAS + rudder. The transition to the X-52 was smooth and I fell in love from the first minute. The CH stuff however took me about 2 weeks to get used to. The build quility and longetivity is legendary and even though it uses pots, it's still very precise. However, there is always the purpouse issue. What do you want the HOTAS/stick for. I bought CH beacuse I was running out of buttons on the X-52 with DCS A-10C and the rudder was mandatory beacuse of no twisty-stick, durability was something that dictated my choice, since apparently even the Warthog breaks. If you want gear just to play BOS/ROF - the X-52 should be just fine, especially that it has those additional axis that can be used for trimmers and zooming (CH seriously lacks in that regard). As for Saitek's durability, my X-52 (non-pro) took 3 years of punishment from me, and now another dude has fun with it in War Thunder and IL-2, but I heard a lot of failure reports - it's still a typical China-made controller.

Anyway, CH stuff is great, but you need to know, if it's something you really need. If was cosidering an upgrade from Hotas-X, I would probably go T16000M+TrackIR, or save up for Occulus, or make a Freetrack before even thing of an X-52. Unless of course you want something that has 'made in USA' stickers on it - in that case only CH fit the profile. :biggrin:

I've been using the same CH Fighterstick since 2003, and it's still just as good today as it was back then. The build quality is excellent and the programming software is also just as good. The throttle - yeah, like others have said, it's one of those things you'll probably either love or hate. My, my major beef with it is that it has only one axis. I had the pedals for quite some time but upgraded to the Simpeds, because I also disliked their narrow width.

I've had my CH products Fighter Stick Pro, Throttle and Pedels since 2005. I went though several Saiteks in a couple of years. We won't even talk about Logicrap. The reliability is something I appreciate. I've had them go off caliber, but the CH Control manager recalibrates perfectly. The stick's action (X and Y axis) takes a bit to get used to because unlike most other sticks that move on a gimble type system, the Fighter Stick uses opposing linear movement. You'll feel it most when trying to use elevator and aileron simultaneously. Once you're used to it it's not a problem.

The only thing I don't like about the Fighter Stick Pro is some of the hat switches are difficult to reach with smaller hands. So, I set seldom used functions on those hats.

I paid about $300.00 for all three and since they are going on eight years of consistant use, I say Igot off cheap.

I was looking at a warthog back in 05 and didn't like the stiffness at all.

I went Saitek AV8R to X-52 and then to CH HOTAS + rudder. The transition to the X-52 was smooth and I fell in love from the first minute. The CH stuff however took me about 2 weeks to get used to. The build quility and longetivity is legendary and even though it uses pots, it's still very precise. However, there is always the purpouse issue. What do you want the HOTAS/stick for. I bought CH beacuse I was running out of buttons on the X-52 with DCS A-10C and the rudder was mandatory beacuse of no twisty-stick, durability was something that dictated my choice, since apparently even the Warthog breaks. If you want gear just to play BOS/ROF - the X-52 should be just fine, especially that it has those additional axis that can be used for trimmers and zooming (CH seriously lacks in that regard). As for Saitek's durability, my X-52 (non-pro) took 3 years of punishment from me, and now another dude has fun with it in War Thunder and IL-2, but I heard a lot of failure reports - it's still a typical China-made controller.

Anyway, CH stuff is great, but you need to know, if it's something you really need. If was cosidering an upgrade from Hotas-X, I would probably go T16000M+TrackIR, or save up for Occulus, or make a Freetrack before even thing of an X-52. Unless of course you want something that has 'made in USA' stickers on it - in that case only CH fit the profile. :biggrin:

Did you use the profiling SW on the X-52? I only use 3 of the 6 possible modes on that stick but the SW is very versatile.

I have had my CH HOTAS for nine years still as good as the day I bought it, enduring quality. I would be temped by the Hall effect sensors of the Thrustmaster Warthog if the joystick failed.

Edited by TP_No601_Merlin

It's looking like the the CH stick is what I'm looking for as I'm looking for something that would last and the general quality about them appears to be high.

Throttle doesn't appear to be that much different than I already have and I'm probably stuck with the CH pedals because the Siatek offering is just way out of my price range.

Some details about this gear (how important are I dont know :huh: )

They still use a 8 bit controller (256 resolution points) USB 1.1.

Another brands use 10, 12, 16 bits USB 2.0

Some users say that notice difference in control with lower resolution - see topic in RoF forum about Simped Pedal.

They use potentiometers - which better they are, are subject to wear - try buy one ... if you dont are in the "right" side of the world. :sleep:

BTW - I have a 1998 Combatstick that a friend use so much (around 1000 hours in il-2) until potentiometers wear very bad and gimbal shaft created a http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2499/chwear.jpg'>gap of 3/4 mm.

I fix this with acrylic, replace pot' with HALL sensor and a 10 bits USB controller (stick are gameport) and still using today - looks new. ;)

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

Did you use the profiling SW on the X-52? I only use 3 of the 6 possible modes on that stick but the SW is very versatile.

I did, but they I went with modifiers in DCS at least, since I kept forgetting to switch profiles and bad things happened. It did not really make much difference to me, I needed a something with more intuitive binding posibilities at least for modern jets. I am a very happy CH owner now.

One thing worth mentioning with CH is the software. It's not the easiest to use, but very powerful and has the ability to combine all three controllers to be visible in system as one - this rocks if you want to play some vintage simulators.

One more here that loves the stick and pedals, but had to get an X45 to use as throttle. I want rotatries at my finger tips and unfortunately, CH never bothered adding rotaries to the throttle in hopes of us buying the quadrant.

I was thinking about the quadrant really hard, but it had to fight for desktop space with the beer and obviously the extra throttle unit lost. :P

If CH ever brings a new, modern, throttle unit to the market, I'll be the first to get it.

I've got the Fighter Stick, Pro-Pedals and Throttle. My only negative comment is that its not the easiest thing to configure and the software that is used with them can be a bit odd sometimes. 

However they're rock solid, I've had the throttle and pedals for 8 years now and they work exactly as they did when I got them out of the box. If I was to get a whole new HOTAS I'd almost certainly consider them again, but the Thrustmaster warthog is also worth considering.

I have stick and throttle. Dumped my x52 pro.

In favor: Very well made. Precision. Reliability. Simplicity. Independent USB plugs.

Cons: stick is for big hands; throttle is a love or hate thing (i love it)

Cheers!

I have Fighterstick+pro throttle+pedals. Solid system, but I recommend trying out the stick before buying if possible, it is quite big and not necessary for everyones liking.

I have Fighterstick+pro throttle+pedals. Solid system, but I recommend trying out the stick before buying if possible, it is quite big and not necessary for everyones liking.

Yah, no where in Spokane (that I can find) that has good quality joysticks on display or even in stock/avalible to start with so I'm kind of stuck with buying blind.  A big joystick shouldn't bother me though.

Fightestick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals here and I wouldn't change them for anything else.

Not a problem with the stick, I'm perfectly comfortable with its size but my hands are big.

Now, if only CH finally decided to build a split-throttle...

Edited by Picchio

Hello,

Fighterstick,pro-throttle,throttle quadrant,pro pedals, mutli function panel from CH.

As said, very reliable (9 years of use for FS,PT and PP) a good choice for me.

Programming is not that difficult. See here for a lot of information : http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php

Have fun

Can anyone very kindly describe for me how the CH throttle feels?

Is it possible to move it lightly and precisely with one hand and not get it snagging then shooting on past silly detents? Is the static cohesion very much greater than the moving friction?

My TM Cougar is not possible to move smoothly even when holding firmly with both hands, breathing out smoothly through gently pursed lips and moving from the waist.

Fightestick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals here and I wouldn't change them for anything else.

Not a problem with the stick, I'm perfectly comfortable with its size but my hands are big.

Now, if only CH finally decided to build a split-throttle...

I have the exact same setup as you and fell the exact same too. Somewhere buried I have a serial port CH pedals, would use them still except for the serial port interface.

CH stuff LASTS !

Can anyone very kindly describe for me how the CH throttle feels?

Is it possible to move it lightly and precisely with one hand and not get it snagging then shooting on past silly detents? Is the static cohesion very much greater than the moving friction?

My TM Cougar is not possible to move smoothly even when holding firmly with both hands, breathing out smoothly through gently pursed lips and moving from the waist.

No detent on the CH throttle none.

It is as precise as you need it, slightly stiff (I want that) but easy to move with 1 finger. I was used to rotaries with my Saitek X 45 but have since gotten over it, the CH buttons are so much higher quality than the X 45's !

Can't speak on the stick and throttle.. but the Saitek pedals are better IMO. They have a smoother throw and a wider  stance.

The Saitek sticks are not bad either. I think the X-52 Pro is a decent stick but CH makes good stuff.

I have to disagree.

The Saitek Pedals are quite a good quality, but the pedal's dust covers over the slider rails produce quite a loud and nasty clacking when you fast-reverse the rudder. Besides that CH and Saitek Pedals are quite similar in durability and quality.

The Sticks however, are a different story. Both Saitek and CH Sticks are made out of plastic, but the CH Sticks feature better axle bearings and the center springs are way more endurable. I've had one CH Flight Stick and four Saitek Sticks and while the CH Stick is still operational, the Saiteks have all lost the much-needed accuracy in the center region - or simply broke on the axle bearings.

Within your price range I'd buy CH products since Logitech and Thrustmaster are clearly beyond your limit.

Edited by 1./JG42_SchwarzerPrinz