Juri_JS

How Does The 'ai Return To Base Decision' Option Work?

I usually enable 'AI Return to Base Decision' for planes in my single player missions, but so far I have never seen a damaged AI plane trying to return to its airfield. Is there any additional setting necessary to make the option work?

I think it has to have an airfield set to return to, which I'm assuming is done by its takeoff/landing commands. It also has to reach the damage threshold you set for it (defaults at 50%) it won't consider itself damaged enough to RTB until it hits that number...at least I think that's how it works.

I leave the return to base decision off. The AI return to base for some really minor/strange reasons sometimes.

I have takeoff/landing commands and a damage threshold, but the  planes never try to return to their airfield.

Hmm...I'm not sure. Someone with more sp experience will have to chime in...I only found out about this behavior by accident in my MP mission, and I didn't want them to return to base so I made it stop anyway I could.

The AI in sp is for want of a better word a bit "wonky" patch 1.09 I think addressed some issues but not all.  AI wingman still attack before given the order, they don't seem to return to base when you order them or if they are significantly damaged. Enemy AI is a bit flawed at times too. I was at 5000 metres and attacking a LaGG-3, I got a couple of good hits on it when suddenly it's navigation lights came on and it dropped landing gear (landing at 5000 metres!). Overall the AI is not bad in sp but definitely needs work.

I have takeoff/landing commands and a damage threshold, but the  planes never try to return to their airfield.

What did you set in Damage report. You have to select Damage threshold and set a damage report.

You can also use Add event in the plane advanced properties, and select on damage, then a RTB landing command.

Edited by Habu

What did you set in Damage report. You have to select Damage threshold and set a damage report.

I use Damage threshold and 50 in Damage report.

I guess 50 means 50% damage, right?

Yes and it's very high, because, with 50% of damage you can say that the plane is dead.

Edited by Habu

I have also tried 10%, but the result was the same, the aircraft did not return to their airfield.

Sorry for the delay Juri, i have to checked. So, what i said is wrong.

The damage report is a percentage of damage which will activate report on damage and not activate a return to base. The AI return to base when they are severly damage. I invit you to read the documentation on the RoF Mission Editor at page 52. You will have more details.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y6lo0pd3kktw8oc/ROF_Mission_Editor_User_Manual_eng.pdf

If you want your AI return to base before they are severly damage, you have to use the Add event and select On Damage, then link it to a waypoint or a command land.

Again, i apologize for the wrong information. :unsure:

I'm away from my computer right now, so I can't check, but doesn't the formation command have a damage adjuster? Maybe that could be used to target an RTB waypoint? I'll check later.