Sign in to follow this  
MrHemlocks

Is This Game Still Around??? I Thought It Died Years Ago!

I played IL2 when it first came out and all the way up to the Cliffs of Dover. It was my understanding that soon after the Cliffs of Dover the game went belly up and no more support was to be given toward the game. Now, by accident, I discovered this site and the game looks like it is still be played.

Who is running the operation and how many players are there? Was it Maddock (spelling?) that made the original game and are they back in business? Who funds the game and what gives.....????

Edited by MrHemlocks

Cliffs of Dover support stopped a couple of years ago. Oleg Maddox left before the bitter end.

This game is built by the team that made Rise of Flight and I think is at least partly funded by 1C. A couple of the CoD team joined this team.

Your in for a treat....listen to me very carefully MrHemlocks, drop everything in your life at this present moment and download this game, strap yourself into a Bf109 F4 and get yourself into the air immediately, it would be a great moral indecency to do anything else..forget your family, your friends, your job, everything....get the game now, you dont know what you have been missing

• Upvote 1

You can have lots of fun on the forum, too! If you can think of it, we can bicker and squable about it!

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 3

CoD was abandoned while it was still incompleted and this was a big concern for me when I was looking at BoS because I was worried the same thing would happen. Although not completed to many simmers expectations, BoS is really stable and flyable with loads of fun to be had even if it just entertains you for a month or two. It really is an impressive SIM/game. Probably has some of the best graphics ever too, it really feels like you are flying over Stalingrad in winter '43.

Edited by DendroAspis

So, there is only one version...no expansions? What happened to all the other expansions?

Also, can you have an IL2 with a back gunner in BoS? That plane, forgot what version of IL2 fighter, was my favorit! Think something in the lines of IL2M...?

Edited by MrHemlocks

Yes you can.... in multiplayer you can have another human pilot man your rear gun..... lots of fun.

All most talked me into buying this game) What version of IL2 can you fly, in multiplayer, that has the rear gunner?

Il-2, He-111, Pe-2 and Ju-87 Stuka got rear gun. However you need to unlock the rear gunner in the Il-2 or if you buy premium you can skip it.

I suggest you to buy it. Lots of fun and the game is very promising as the devs is working on a new Il-2 called Battle of Moskva that will be integrated in BoS of i understodd correctly.

I think there is a sale going on now here and steam. Buy it :)

The game is tons of fun and really stable. It is still in the early stages so there is still development and bug chasing going on but for the most part it is a complete game/sim now. Be aware this is a completely new design team and game engine. It is not an expansion of the game you played previously. The next series/follow on game, Battle of Moscow, has been announced and will be a merge-able or stand alone game with additional aircraft and content. Although there is a lot to read you should start with the Developer Diaries - you can see where we started, where we occasionally lost our minds and tempers, and where we are headed now.

Buy it! You won't regret.

It doesn't deliver everything you could hope for. The SP content is still very basic and we'll have to wait for community-generated content to truly bring it to life. In terms if the sim itself however, it's absolutely awesome and more than a worthy successor to the IL2 franchise. It surpasses Cliffs of Dover in every aspect except cockpit details and is leaps and bounds above what IL2 1946 delivers even in fully modded state.

Best of all: BoS continues to have full support from the devs, so not only is there a lot more content coming in the form of BoM as well as summer and autumn versions of the maps (right now we only have winter) we can also count on the sim recieving gradual improvements and upgrades along the way.

There is no real campaign and not a lot of Single player missions. There are a few usermade Missions which are really great. 

Aside from that, the sim is truly stunning. IMO it has the best graphics, fms, dms and it runs really well without bugs etc...

Be sure to buy the premium else you'll be forced to unlock all of the field mods and ordnance for aircraft by playing the abysmally boring SP campaign.

I played IL2 when it first came out and all the way up to the Cliffs of Dover. It was my understanding that soon after the Cliffs of Dover the game went belly up and no more support was to be given toward the game. Now, by accident, I discovered this site and the game looks like it is still be played.

Who is running the operation and how many players are there? Was it Maddock (spelling?) that made the original game and are they back in business? Who funds the game and what gives.....????

buy it and buy it now while you get it for half the price!

All most talked me into buying this game) What version of IL2 can you fly, in multiplayer, that has the rear gunner?

There's "one" version of the IL-2 represented in IL-2 Battle for Stalingrad. That's the IL-2 AM-38, 1942 model. It actually ends up representing a couple of sub types as it is initially equipped with 20mm ShVAK cannons and ShKAS machine guns. But then you get the 23mm and 37mm variants and the field modified rear gunner station. So you can choose to fly with or without the gunner and with a bunch of gun (and bomb) options.

Also in terms of expansions IL-2 BoS represents a fresh start for the series so nothing of the old remains. It's all new. The next installment is due out at the end of this year and its called IL-2 Battle of Moscow - set in the late 1941 and early 1942 time period in the lead up to and battle around Moscow. At the moment the Stalingrad scenarios are limited to the November 1942 to March 1943 time (Stalingrad winter!) but summer and fall versions of the maps and campaigns will be available later this year too.

I'd say its worth jumping into it. If you're a fan of the old then this represents the next step. The feeling of flight is incredible and the visuals are impressive - it has some issues but its nothing show stopping.

Hemlocks a few months ago i would say wait. But now the game is shaping up very well, and the future is very promising. Buy premium!

Also reinstall CLOD and install team fusion patchs!!! you wont believe its the same sim!

How long do steam sales last?  This sale was started on steam and extended to the company store.  When the Steam sale ends, the sale in the company store ends.  Got to disagree with my squad mate above though.  The full mission builder was just released and we will be seeing a growing stream of user made missions and campaigns.  Now is the perfect time to jump in.

How long do steam sales last?  This sale was started on steam and extended to the company store.  When the Steam sale ends, the sale in the company store ends.  Got to disagree with my squad mate above though.  The full mission builder was just released and we will be seeing a growing stream of user made missions and campaigns.  Now is the perfect time to jump in.

If the store can hold me a premium edition still the middle of next week, when I have some spending cash, I will buy one. If not...(((((

Also, I have an older joystick and was wondering if it would be up to par for this game.  Saitek AV8R-02 http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/av360.html  

It works/worked for the Xbox 360 and PC.

Do a lot of reading about this game before you just buy. Lots of people are saying just buy, but don't get buyers remorse by blindly making a purchase.

Make sure you know what you are and are not getting with a purchase. Make sure it is what you are wanting in a combat flight game. If you are going off of old IL2 and wanting the same kind of thing you might want to do much more reading. There are many sources of information out there on BoS.

BOS is a decent WIP sim, that could eventually earn the IL-2 name, but is not the original developer, but a derivative of the ROF game engine.    CliffsOfDover  is also a decent WIP sim being optimized, and content added by a mod team called Team Fusion.   IC dropped support for the real IL-2 developer, and partnered with ROF's 777Studios, for the development of BOS on an older DX9 game engine.  

BOS is currently developing an addon called Battle for Moscow, and COD is developing a new addon rumoured to be in the Med.   All combat flight simmers should have BOS and COD, but I'm looking forward to COD's addon with IMHO a "currently" more capable DX10 game engine.  I have high hopes for both developments.

What we pay for these sims is insignificant, compared to the man-hours of entertainment value.

Edited by JG27_Chivas