Sign in to follow this  
coconut

How To Generate .list Files?

Hi,

It seems that for multiplayer missions, .list files must point at the localization files, including a checksum. How do I compute that checksum?

To clarify, below is an example content taken from some random dogfight mission on my hard-disk:

filename="multiplayer/dogfight/firstmap-wl-009-01.eng","20af7858"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/firstmap-wl-009-01.ger","0f2e3f94"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/firstmap-wl-009-01.pol","8d5eaba9"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/firstmap-wl-009-01.rus","2520023d"

Where does the second field come from?

Mission editor ( FMB) did it when the mission builder saved the mission.

If you were to join that server again, running the same mission, your game would check to see if the file id's of what it is about to download for the mission matched what you already had on your computer. If it finds these files already on your computer,  it would check to see if the checksum matched too.  If both match, it assumes you already have the exact same files on your computer, and will not re-download them.

@sittingduck The problem is that this file is empty after I save my mission in the editor.

going to guess that you are trying to have your game and FMB running at the same time.....

if that is true, that is why your list file is empty.....the files that FBM needed are locked out by the game.

If you are in fact doing this...after you are satisfied with your mission, kill the game, kill FMB, then restart FMB again and save the mission one more time.

Interesting theory, you got me thinking. But that's not the problem. I don't run the game client and the FMB at the same time. Actually, you can't the launcher won't let you.

I thought for a moment that it might have been the server and the FMB running at the same time, but that should not be a problem, as the editor works on a different copy of the files (under "My Documents"). To test the mission, I copy the files to the game's installation dir (in a subdirectory of data/Multiplayer).

Unfortunately, the .list file is a must have. Without it, players get error messages (something like "can't save files"). A work-around is to get players to download the mission files outside of the game, but that's not a good solution.

Not sure what's the problem. I'm running on Windows 8.1, by the way.

EDIT: Solved!

The problem was working outside of the game's installation folder. If I open the copy of the mission files that are under the game's directory, the file is properly created.

Edited by -IRRE-coconut
  • Upvote 2