Zak

Pre-order and early access - discussion

It is final.R& is the gift for Founders

Could you respond to some of the concerns raised about the complete restriction of this loadout to founders only?

It's mostly been founders who expressed concerns as well.

To be fair the dev's should give every one the 20mm gun pods BUT because we're special us founders should the only ones that can remove them from their planes!  :P 

+1 LOL :biggrin:

What next? 3,7cm antitank cannon for the Hs129?

Was never used anyway so nobody will miss it.

I don't want to have any advantages over newcomers in the game, so i won't pre-order as i planned to do for this month. It's such a pity since i was really looking forward to play as soon as possible.

I have nothing against it, but this is just not for me.

I really love what the team is doing, this is going to be a great sim, no question! :good: I want to precise that  i'm grateful to all the founder guys that financially helped the team when it counted the most. It is normal that they should be rewarded for their support :salute:  (even if i had prefered the team to find anther way to do that).

Anyway i will purchase 3 copies (one for me, one for my bro, and a last one for a team mate) instead, when the game will be released.

At Least you didn't make a mistake like me and pre-ordered

• Upvote 1

Nah, I don't think so. Pre-order will end soon anyway. So, you consider R7 the most valuable present among the exclusive ones.

All that buzz and negativity because of 5mm difference. Seriously guys, wtf...

Edited by DB605

Can the founders have an exclusive skin for the LA5 that says this in Russian on the fuselage?

That's a great one :good:

All this discussion. Guys should not forget that there ARE actually users that apprechiate the fact that the pods ARE exclusive. Discussing until they are no longer exclusive harms them. I mean that has to be thought of in all the discussion.

And R1 (15mm) is still available for everyone. Do not let those 5mm concern you that much!

Strange that in todays world people are complaining about receiving something for free. In RoF, field mods have to be purchased.

Exactly

Nah, I don't think so. Pre-order will end soon anyway. So, you consider R7 the most valuable present among the exclusive ones.

Then is it safe to assume that MG151/20 gunpods variant for the Bf109G2 will be also available for non-founders?

Then is it safe to assume that MG151/20 gunpods variant for the Bf109G2 will be also available for non-founders?

Look here:

Look here:

Look here :

We've prepared a special gift for everyone who will have purchased a pre-order before it expires. The gift is the R7 weapon modification for Bf.109F-4 - 2х20mm MG151/20 gun pods that you’ll obtain in the game when it’s released. Note that this mod is unique and will only be available by preordering the game and joining the IL2BOS Founders.

@ Mac: Both posts say the same. 20mm Gunpods only if you preorder..

it's a free extra for founders, and it's nice from 1C to consider it, but why not make it accessible to the others via some any other way after the game is launched?!! it's one thing to offer extra non-gameplay influencing extras (like some skin), and a totally other on to offer an exclusive weapon mod.

frankly, by doing this 1C is practically forcing this weapon mod off the game, as you can pretty much bet the majority of the founders will refuse to use it while no one else excepting them can access it.. which kind of beats the purpose of giving it as a free gift..

Disagree 110%.

Sorry, i dont get what you want... this is a quote - like yours - from the official news: "... Note that this mod is unique and will only be available by preordering the game and joining the IL2BOS Founders." Nothing mustunderstandable here? 20mm Gunpods will be founder exclusive. Isnt that what you are complaining about all the time?

Edited by VSG1_Winger

This gunpod, the StuKa cockpit WiP and the Fw.190 helped me over the line and pre-order.

It's beneficial in a Bf.109 "Kanonenvogel" (cannon bird) in a "Panzerknacker" (tank busting) role. I wouldn't want to dogfight with it though.

Sorry, i dont get what you want... this is a quote - like yours - from the official news: "... Note that this mod is unique and will only be available by preordering the game and joining the IL2BOS Founders." Nothing mustunderstandable here? 20mm Gunpods will be founder exclusive. Isnt that what you are complaining about all the time?

As I understand it they will be exclusive only for F-4, not for G-2.

What a storm in a water glass! You fighter fellows have from the start a beautiful selection of aircraft, even the Fw190 which is for the setting

out of place and still six pages of squabbeling? :blink:

Maybe the developers should have given you lot all neon pink skins and only founders normal ones? :P

As a bomber pilot I can only smirk. The loud miniority in its full splendor ! :crazy:

Edited by Lord_Haw-Haw
  • Upvote 3

it's a free extra for founders, and it's nice from 1C to consider it, but why not make it accessible to the others via some any other way after the game is launched?!! it's one thing to offer extra non-gameplay influencing extras (like some skin), and a totally other on to offer an exclusive weapon mod.

frankly, by doing this 1C is practically forcing this weapon mod off the game, as you can pretty much bet the majority of the founders will refuse to use it while no one else excepting them can access it.. which kind of beats the purpose of giving it as a free gift..

They could make it available sometime after release, even a week or so later and I doubt many would disagree with that (I honestly don't care either way), but then it doesn't take many to flood the forums with ire, hate and discontent :).

I bet you'll be able to buy them later anyway.

Thanks for the free gift and its looking great, can't wait to fly it...

Hello guys,

As stated by many before,in some stage of the game they will be for sure available for everyone.I see it as a nice gift from devs.I was also supporter of their RoF sim.

But frankly,when you check how many people has preordered the game (those are thousands!) this gunpod will suddenly not seem to you as smtg special.In fact it will not be rare at all.And what is not rare,is not special anymore ;)

Cheers from Slovakia

And R1 (15mm) is still available for everyone. Do not let those 5mm concern you that much!

Actually the 15mm gun pods are the R VII, just like the 20mm gun pods. As mentioned in post #37, I've explained that in greater length in post #5 in this topic.

I won`t use them if everyone can`t have them, if you want to create discontent then give someone a "you`ve paid early" weapon. Paint schemes, little badges and other non gameplay goodies I`ll glady accept but no thanks I don`t want the cannons, and I`ve never complained about this project before.

As I understand it the 20mm Gun pods will be exclusive only for F-4, not for G-2.

+1

Edited by Gunsmith86

Some of you act like this is a secret society where the Founders somehow have an unfair advantage of insider information. This website has been public from the beginning. If someone missed out because they were unaware of BoS, then I'd wager they weren't likely to preorder anyway. Everyone here has had the same decision to make regarding BoS. If that person chose not to preorder then that was their business. These gunpods are a very small consequence of that and likely will be nearly forgotten by final release.  

• Upvote 4

Exactly

Have you read the thread at all? The problem isn't that we're getting something for free, the problem is that every single future potential customer--the group that will eventually make up the majority of players, unless the game is a total flop--has no way to get it at all. I'm sure we're all happy for the availability of the weapon. The problem is the exclusivity. Though the exclusivity of a single weapon may not be a huge deal in and of itself, potential future purchasers may wonder what else a company that is so happy to make most of its customers second-class citizens may plan for the future. Reviewing the thread, this has already turned one preorder buyer off. How many purchases might it cost when preorders close and the buyers in question are the ones made worse off?

But is it really not a huge deal? According to previous posts, the "extra 5mm" historically made a significant difference. A 5mm increase may sound small, but compared to a 15mm cartridge it's a 30% increase in diameter. If we approximate the shape of the cartridge as a cylinder and use the dimensions given by wikipedia for the MG151 cannon, we can see that the 15mm cartridge had a volume of pi * (15mm/2)2 * 96mm = ~17cm3, while the 20mm cartridge had  a volume of pi * (20mm/2)2 * 82mm = ~26cm3. That's about a 53% increase in cartridge volume. That's a LOT of additional explosive load.

Not to mention the fact that the 15mm gunpods were replaced across the entire line of fighters with 20mm because it was concluded that the 20mm cannons were outright superior, becoming the standard for cannon armaments on aircraft including the F-4.

(Source: Anthony G. Williams (2002). Rapid Fire: The Development of Automatic Cannon, Heavy Machine-Guns and Their Ammunition for Armies, Navies and Air Forces)

Edited by Ralith
  • Upvote 2

Also note that over the course of this thread, the people indicating that they'd prefer everyone to have access (a group consisting almost exclusively of founders, who have access regardless) and the people who have indicated that they don't care either way far outnumber the number of people who have indicated that they'd prefer them remain exclusive. I'd encourage the developers to put it to a poll, but I doubt they'd abide by the result. It's not as if they haven't already ignored the numerous reasoned arguments presented here, suggesting that this is nothing but a questionable grab for a few more last-minute preorder dollars, perhaps to the long-term detriment of the game.

Edited by Ralith
  • Upvote 2

Game isn't even out yet and already had it's trolls. Freakin pathetic.

When someone tells you your looking well today do you correct them and ask not too be patronized, or do you say thank you?

If it really bothers you maybe you should get a refund of your our order? Vote with your dollars.

Edited by CWMV

is this still a complaint thread?

how can it be?

...seriously, how is a gifted mod, for preorder customers only, a problem..?

Thank you to 777 1c for the gift - I appreciate this symbol of regard for your advance customers - 

with it I hope to blast many a regular customer out of the sky with very short bursts...of laughter

it will serve the late comers and doubters right...especially the doubters  

• Upvote 1

Also note that over the course of this thread, the people indicating that they'd prefer everyone to have access (a group consisting almost exclusively of founders, who have access regardless) and the people who have indicated that they don't care either way far outnumber the number of people who have indicated that they'd prefer them remain exclusive.

You're making the usual forum mistake of assuming that a small number of people shouting very loudly is representative of the majority opinion.

Perhaps the solution is to make the gun pods single player only. That way, the people that appreciate this gesture from 777 can enjoy it without negatively impacting the balance of multiplayer.

Win/win, right?

Edited by Pizzicato

Thank you so much for the gun pods on the F4. By limiting these pods to just the founders you have successfully found a way to lessen the proliferation of a mod that was hardly equipped/used on the F4 while keeping it still there and present, as I hardly believe that all founders will be on at all times to "effect" the balance assuming we also play the Russians not just the Germans. There might be 4-6 guys with it equipped at most on average in a match I can hardly call that an "advantage". Team work and skill will win the day not just the bigger gun, it does help but, it is not needed.

This squabbling is the equivalent of complaining about a kickstarter that you invested enough money to get a unique character or item designed for you and then complain that this unique character that was made for you seems too good you should let everyone have access to it because I don't want to seem like I have an advantage. Do not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Game isn't even out yet and already had it's trolls. Freakin pathetic.

When someone tells you your looking well today do you correct them and ask not too be patronized, or do you say thank you?

If it really bothers you maybe you should get a refund of your our order? Vote with your dollars.

If someone has a magic machine that can give everyone in the world a cookie, but they only give one to me, I point out that everyone might be better off if they went a little further. Doesn't mean I won't eat the cookie.

is this still a complaint thread?

how can it be?

...seriously, how is a gifted mod, for preorder customers only, a problem..?

Thank you to 777 1c for the gift - I appreciate this symbol of regard for your advance customers - 

with it I hope to blast many a regular customer out of the sky with very short bursts...of laughter

The reasons why it's a problem have been exhaustively enumerated. Do you have a counterpoint? The only argument I see presented is that you feel that your having an in-game advantage is justified as "serving them right" for... having reservations about the IL-2 franchise after CloD? Not being able to afford the preorder price? Simply not knowing about BoS until too late? Yours is not a sense of justice I understand.

You're making the usual forum mistake of assuming that a small number of people shouting very loudly is representative of the majority opinion.

Perhaps the solution is to make the gun pods single player only. That way, the people that appreciate this gesture from 777 can enjoy it without negatively impacting the balance of multiplayer.

Win/win, right?

Do you have a better way to measure the majority opinion? I'm all ears. That's not really the main point, though; you might want to consider the argument presented in my other post.

Making gunpods singleplayer only would indeed resolve the problem as far as I'm concerned. It'd still leave a bunch of people marginally worse off for no particular benefit, but at least it wouldn't affect other people's games.

Thank you so much for the gun pods on the F4. By limiting these pods to just the founders you have successfully found a way to lessen the proliferation of a mod that was hardly equipped/used on the F4 while keeping it still there and present, as I hardly believe that all founders will be on at all times to "effect" the balance assuming we also play the Russians not just the Germans. There might be 4-6 guys with it equipped at most on average in a match I can hardly call that an "advantage". Team work and skill will win the day not just the bigger gun, it does help but, it is not needed.

This squabbling is the equivalent of complaining about a kickstarter that you invested enough money to get a unique character or item designed for you and then complain that this unique character that was made for you seems too good you should let everyone have access to it because I don't want to seem like I have an advantage. Do not look a gift horse in the mouth.

If you are concerned about realistic quantities of equipment, the 20mm gun pods are unlikely to be your only worry. A more reliable and universal solution, which has been widely applied in past games including in IL-2 1946 itself, is to allow mission makers to limit the quantity of equipment available to suit the needs of each particular mission. It's not right that between two equally skilled players, one should have an in-game advantage (see my previous posts for details) simply because he had the money and awareness to preorder.

I didn't invest money to get gunpods, I invested money to support the development of the game and get early access. I also don't back kickstarters where developers hand out in-game advantages in return for cash. Sadly, there are more kickstarters to choose from than there are promising flight sims of this class. If 777 doesn't otherwise mess up badly, BoS and its expansions have the potential to be the definitive WWII combat flight sim despite this mistake.

I appreciate the work the developers have done to implement the gunpods. However, I do not consider exclusivity, which you'll note is the only thing I take issue with, to be a gift. I don't benefit from it, but a lot of future customers suffer for it. Because I want there to be lots of future customers, so this game can prosper and I continue to have people to play with for as long as possible, I don't want future potential customers to be put off.

Edited by Ralith
  • Upvote 2

(man, I really need to start writing these in a text editor)

In conclusion, some of you keep repeating "don't look a gift horse in the mouth." That expression refers to the rudeness of being unappreciative of a gift for not being what you really wanted. However, if the "gift horse" in question--i.e. exclusivity, not the gunpods themselves, emphasis as I seem to be having trouble getting this across--made tens of thousands of third parties worse off, I don't think whoever first spoke the phrase would object to the recipient being somewhat distressed.

Edited by Ralith

In my opinion it is particulary shallow to view this thread as compaining about the gift horse. It`s simply a shortcut for saying you`re not ok with the constructive complaints layed out. It is perfectly understandable that as a founder, you may feel left out of the discussion that is about a gift you obviously like. I would then expect you to say why you do not like the complaints, without resolving to flatten the issue. It is simply not fair.

As some of you may have noticed, there are some other propositions to accomplish both : rewarding the founders without skewing the game experience at the same time. Custom skins are nice. How about printed manuals? How about different tracer colors?Pilot wear? There are multiple options better in my and others` opinions.

Also, if it is true as to what many of you say about 1CGS lucidity in dev-customer communication, I would expect the devs to disarm the issue by stating simply that it will be a timed exclusive. I didn`t see any sign of resistance voiced for that. Why hasn`t this been done yet, I wonder.

• Upvote 2

I think it's because they don't want to.

They decided on the gift, presumably after a bit of thought, and then gave it.

"Do you have a better way to measure the majority opinion?"

Yes I do.  Lets take the total number of founders and the total number of complainers in that group.  What are we up to now?  About 3,000 founders?  And what, maybe a dozen complainers?  So, by my count it is roughly 2,988 in favor of to 12 against.  You lose.

• Upvote 1

"Do you have a better way to measure the majority opinion?"

Yes I do.  Lets take the total number of founders and the total number of complainers in that group.  What are we up to now?  About 3,000 founders?  And what, maybe a dozen complainers?  So, by my count it is roughly 2,988 in favor of to 12 against.  You lose.

Well, we can`t really assume the opinion of the rest 2988, can we?

• Upvote 1