AbortedMan

Many Players Do Not Like The Forced Airfield "radar" On The Map In Mp

I've heard a lot of complaints about the map "radar/spotting" of enemy aircraft near friendly airfields on servers configured for expert difficulty. I feel this shouldn't be a forced option and should be able to turn it off on expert servers. There are many other realistic options that are available through the mission editor that better simulates airfield communication of incoming threats (using subtitles for simulated radio calls, air raid sirens, etc). An "all seeing" radar system for every base is overkill and it completely negates being able to sneak up on airfields for coordinated attacks or merely just passing by the area to complete an unrelated nearby objective.

The map provides pinpoint accuracy real-time information on enemies that just wasn't available in the area, time, or scenario that the game is trying to simulate. It needs to be a server-side option that server managers can toggle on or off because it's ruining what could be a fun part of strategic gameplay on expert servers.

• Upvote 8

I've heard a lot of complaints about the map "radar/spotting" of enemy aircraft near friendly airfields on servers configured for expert difficulty. I feel this shouldn't be a forced option and should be able to turn it off on expert servers. There are many other realistic options that are available through the mission editor that better simulates airfield communication of incoming threats (using subtitles for simulated radio calls, air raid sirens, etc). An "all seeing" radar system for every base is overkill and it completely negates being able to sneak up on airfields for coordinated attacks or merely just passing by the area to complete an unrelated nearby objective.

The map provides pinpoint accuracy real-time information on enemies that just wasn't available in the area, time, or scenario that the game is trying to simulate. It needs to be a server-side option that server managers can toggle on or off because it's ruining what could be a fun part of strategic gameplay on expert servers.

+1 I found the position, flightdirection and height revealing radiocalls from i.e. CLOD more realistic.

The Radar sucks. However i understand there has to be some sort of "!vulcheralarm" on the airfields and consider it important.

Oh I thought it was an option selected by the server owner.....is this really forced on by the game??

The radar is ridiculous, apart from being unrealistic it encourages people to hang around waiting to see contacts show up rather than fly proper missions. 

My MP mission that is currently on The Hideout hosted by TWB has simulated radio calls (onscreen) for enemy aircraft. It simply tells that a base is under attack and if someone is interested in helping they can go to the area and search for them...it's usually easy to find them if the flak is still operating, but allows some semblance of "you don't know what you're getting into" instead of knowing exactly the location of enemy, number of enemy, and whether you're heading in the right direction like it is now.

Radar is a normal mode feature stuck/forced in an expert setting.

Edited by AbortedMan
  • Upvote 2

The radar is ridiculous, apart from being unrealistic it encourages people to hang around waiting to see contacts show up rather than fly proper missions. 

I've always thought the "radar" data comes from ground observers with field phones... Both using these for early detection and practice of keeping interceptors on the field, ready to scramble when targets were near rather than wandering aimlessly hoping to run into somebody, is as old as WWI. Only unrealistic thing is we don't get vectors to detected bad guys over the radio after takeoff (may be RoF legacy ;) ).

Battle_of_britain_air_observer.jpg

Edited by Trupobaw

I've always thought the "radar" data comes from ground observers with field phones... Both using these for early detection and practice of keeping interceptors on the field, ready to scramble when targets were near rather than wandering aimlessly hoping to run into somebody, is as old as WWI. Only unrealistic thing is we don't get vectors to detected bad guys over the radio after takeoff (may be RoF legacy ;) ).

Battle_of_britain_air_observer.jpg

You wouldn't be getting all that data for enemies over every airfield and target in real time though.

JTAC communicating with CAS pilots don't even have that kind of capability readily available today on the modern battlefield. A "last seen" notification or information about the general 5km^2 area, sure, but not laser accurate GPS information in 1942.

• Upvote 1

I know what you guys are saying , i would prefer a radio call to home base to ask if fighters were in the area "contacts seen in grid square 920 angles , heading " ect ect , however we do have spotters that relay targets seen in the air , just like the battle of britain style like the picture above , no health and safety them days .

Multiplayer needs some big improvements , I just dont seen all the squadrons that signed up 2 years ago in here .

People are still flying il-2 1946 and have not jumped across .

I agree , but it is not a dealbraker for me, I am just happy for the removal of the gps navigation. But many here are not up for hardcore navigation and prefer aid like this. 

On Cod you got the benefit of coast and landmark, in bos you have very few landmarks to go by

I know what you guys are saying , i would prefer a radio call to home base to ask if fighters were in the area "contacts seen in grid square 920 angles , heading " ect ect , however we do have spotters that relay targets seen in the air , just like the battle of britain style like the picture above , no health and safety them days .

Multiplayer needs some big improvements , I just dont seen all the squadrons that signed up 2 years ago in here .

People are still flying il-2 1946 and have not jumped across .

I hate to be repetitive but I'd wager a big reason for that is that we don't have co-ops and a lobby and at the moment are confined to the perpetual war type dogfight servers. When CLOD came out I knew a lot of people who were waiting for co-ops and VEF type online wars as hope died some of those people went off to do other things. When BOS was announced I had high hopes this part of the old IL2 game play wouldn't be totally ignored (I knew Hyperlobby support was unlikely) and hoped maybe we'd get an in game lobby before entering servers and an easy way to run a co-op mission. Still I've seen members of squads I remember from the old people in game like LLv34, Blitzpigs and even last night I saw someone from ROSS :) Maybe there is hope.

In all honesty, I'm about the only BlitzPig that currently flys online.   Three or four more are flying offline for now.

I too find the early warning radar to be incompatible with the time frame and "full difficulty" game play.  How could you possibly mount a raid on an enemy airfield?

I do admit that I would like to have just my location on the map, at least for now.  VFR navigation is something I am finding quite difficult because of the "newness" of things for me.

I don't have time to be online or offline for hours and hours on end like the "good old days" of original IL2, so terrain familiarization is going to take quite a bit longer than I would like.

I realize that is a pretty "n00bish" problem for an old timer like me, but there are lots of us out here just coming to the sim, and we all have the same issue with navigation on that contrastless expanse of white.

You old timer founders should try to remember your first few weeks/months coming to grips with it.

Oh how easy would it be to solve this issue if we just got proper difficulty (and graphics preferably as well) options like in every other game out there.

I hate to be repetitive but I'd wager a big reason for that is that we don't have co-ops and a lobby and at the moment are confined to the perpetual war type dogfight servers. When CLOD came out I knew a lot of people who were waiting for co-ops and VEF type online wars as hope died some of those people went off to do other things. When BOS was announced I had high hopes this part of the old IL2 game play wouldn't be totally ignored (I knew Hyperlobby support was unlikely) and hoped maybe we'd get an in game lobby before entering servers and an easy way to run a co-op mission. Still I've seen members of squads I remember from the old people in game like LLv34, Blitzpigs and even last night I saw someone from ROSS :) Maybe there is hope.

Wow some from ROSS they were top squadron when i was flying against them years back . I hope too . I did say we need a hyperlobby app for BOS , but it got negative replys .

I agree with OP. The radar is pretty big immersion killer right now.

A system like in CLOD would be awesome. It helps with both intercepts and navigation, without taking the fun out of it.

Edited by Jaws2002

~S~ Fellows,

Flying low enough to negate radar would be cool, if it's implementable. How many times have we heard that cliche'?

Also, Zig-Zagging around Radar sites is a traditional way to avoid detection. A challenge in and of itself, especially near high density areas.

Mission planning is an art form. The stuff of ready rooms and high commanders.

There's a ways to go yet with this bare boned sim, and if modding such things is not allowed, us piping up about them certainly is.

Good post Aborted.

Blue Skies

-Jupp- :salute:

Flying low enough to negate radar would be cool, if it's implementable. How many times have we heard that cliche'?

How about flying high enough to negate human observers? Would still help protect the airfield from raids, but give bombers and such option to sneak through. I don't think there were radars mobile enough to carry them with moving front during WW2, or we wouldn't be having that discussion ...

Getting the less accurate position on "radar" the higher plane is might be ideal ;) . And making the clouds below you reduce accuracy...

Edited by Trupobaw

Wow some from ROSS they were top squadron when i was flying against them years back . I hope too . I did say we need a hyperlobby app for BOS , but it got negative replys .

Yep we (JG5) used to fly against them a lot in the early days, very good opponents....and on your last point....Same here :(

JTAC communicating with CAS pilots don't even have that kind of capability readily available today on the modern battlefield. A "last seen" notification or information about the general 5km^2 area, sure, but not laser accurate GPS information in 1942.

They should get JSTARS.  

:D

No need of Radar Icons.

Neither "I" button of my own position and no airfield observer. Turn it off pls, at least as option

The FuFE62 was quite mobile, but not the logistic behind

http://www.deutsches...ussland/rrus.hm 

The problem here is how this information is show for player - in case a real time moving icon over map...

The problem here is how this information is show for player - in case a real time moving icon over map...

Well i hate to say it cliffs has the right idea for it . All the info there in text format , at the moment we are getting radio calls but they are worthless , dont mean anything , " in contact carry on with mission" !!! ....i hope it will change into some thing worth while and meaningful to the missions , We are not the war thunder crowd here , its time to make this  game a Sim. thats a joke by the way . :lol:

Yep we (JG5) used to fly against them a lot in the early days, very good opponents....and on your last point....Same here :(

I am guessing VEF was it - ROSS , JZG, good old days .

• Upvote 1

I've been preaching this FOREVER! It needs to be removed. Battles rarely happen over the objective anymore as people just stay, or go straight to an enemy airfield. Any bomber is now even more suicide as well. Waste all that time climbing to 4000m only to be shot down over your own damn airfield because theres a GPS tracker on you. It changed the dynamic of expert MP. It used to be more objective based, now it's masturbating to your k/d. It's not fun and is why I rarely play anymore.

Edited by Silky

Please give us the option to turn that nonsense off.

It really really spoils the fun, and we (old veteran Il2 players) feel a bit fooled.

I expected that to be an option in the dedicated server, but it is not.

You can get rid of that radar cheat.

So please give us the option to decide ourselves if we want to nake use of that radar cheat or not.