Sign in to follow this  
Uriah

I Take It The P-39 Airacobra Was Not In The Actual Bos And Bom?

i see no mention of it ever coming to either game so I speculate it was not used in either battle.  True?

True.

The earliest examples of the P-39 being used were P-400 and P-39D-1 models that saw the most use in the Murmansk area. It didn't see major widespread use until the Kuban battle in the spring, summer and fall of 1943. If you want to talk about its signature battle on the eastern front then the Kuban battle is the moment where it earned its reputation.

something tells me it will be a premium plane in a future expansion. 

IAR 80 and Airocobra would make a good partnership/ twin set of add on planes. I agree. Unless they intend to go Mediterranean on the forth game. In which case they will probably do a spitfire or hurricane. So it can get ported over on 4th campaign.

Still no one says anything about the YAK-9 or if it is still being made..

Are we just getting planes that were not a Stalingrad as add-ons?

i see no mention of it ever coming to either game so I speculate it was not used in either battle.  True?

Early Versions of Airacobra Aircraft in Soviet Aviation

153d (28th Guards) IAP

The 153d IAP, at full strength, was formed on the basis of TOE 015/284 (2 squadrons, 20 aircraft and 23 pilots), under the command of Hero of the Soviet Union Major S. I. Mironov, arrived at Voronezh airfield on 29 June 1942. It began combat operations without any delay, on 30 June 1942. Later the regiment was relocated to Lipetsk airfield, from which it operated until 25 September 1942. In 59 flying days on the Voronezh Front the regiment conducted 1,070 combat sorties with 1162 hours of flight time; fought 259 aerial engagements, of which 45 were of a group nature; shot down 64 enemy aircraft, of which 18 were bombers (15 Ju-88, 1 Do-217, 1 He-111, and 1 FW-198), 45 fighters (39 Bf-109F, 1 Bf-110, 1 Me-210, 4 MS-200), and 1 aerial observation aircraft. Losses during these three months of combat were 3 pilots and 8 aircraft. "These relatively insignificant losses are explained in the first place by the experience of the pilots and the good flight performance characteristics of the Airacobra aircraft." Regiment commander Lieutenant Colonel Mironov, HSU (TsAMO, collection 28 Guards IAP, index 143456, file 1) [TsAMO - central archive of the Defense Ministry].

The cited document gives a an adequate representation of the fact whom did the Soviet Cobras contest successfully. For outstanding combat effort on the Voronezh Front, the 153d IAP was recommended for the "guards" designation.

On 7 August 1942 a group of pilots was selected from the regiment for a special assignment of the command of the VVS Red Army. These eight cadre pilots, led by Major O. M. Rodionov, along with 28 technical personnel, operated independently as part of the VVS of West Front from airfields at Kubinka, Alferyevo, and Klimovo. From 8 August through 11 September 1942, they executed 167 sorties with a total flight time of 190 hours, of which 68 were in combat. They shot down 13 enemy aircraft (9 Ju-88, 4 Bf-109F) and damaged 17 others. Their own losses were two wounded pilots and two aircraft lost. Non-combat losses were one pilot and one aircraft.

Altogether in 1,237 combat sorties the regiment destroyed 77 enemy aircraft, of which one was by ramming. Captain A. F. Avdeev conducted a frontal attack on a Messerschmitt and neither pilot gave way. This was the first ramming incident in an Airacobra.

On 1 October 1942, the regiment arrived at Ivanovo, at 22d ZAP, for re-constitution to TOE 015/174 (three squadrons). Major O. M. Rodionov was appointed the regiment commander.

In connection with the situation at the front, the regiment, without having completed transition training, was thrown back into combat on 27 October 1942 with 32 Airacobra I aircraft. One squadron operated from Lyubertsy airfield and the second from Vypolzovo airfield (North-West Front).

During nine flying days from 31 October to 28 November the regiment flew 94 sorties (91 hours of flight time), of which 29 were in combat. They conducted six aerial engagements, shooting down 1 Ju-87 and four Bf-109F. Two Airacobras were lost.

On 22 November 1942 the 153d IAP received the Guards title and renamed as the 28th Guards IAP. In November 1943 the regiment received the honorific title "Leningradskiy"(28th Guards "Leningradskiy" IAP).

Until 1 August 1943 the regiment flew exclusively in Airacobra I aircraft. The serial numbers included AH626, 690, BX182, 184, 206, 228, 234, 235, 240, 254, BX/AP (?)[12] 264, 266, 268, 271, 272, 279, 282, 285, 305, 318, 324, 338, 379, 381, and 384. On 1 August 1943 the regiment still had 11 Airacobra aircraft on hand.

From 1 December 1942 through 1 August 1943 the regiment carried out 1,176 combat sorties (1,283 hours), fought 66 group engagements, in which it destroyed 63 enemy aircraft (23 Bf-109F, 23 FW-190, 7 FW-189, 6 Ju-88, 4 Hs-126) and 4 aerostats, damaged 7 fighters and one bomber. Aircraft losses were 14 in aerial combat, 4 to airfield bombardment, 5 in accidents; pilots killed or missing in action-10. The regiment was re-equipped with P-39N and Q models beginning on 1 August 1943.

Still no one says anything about the YAK-9 or if it is still being made..

Are we just getting planes that were not a Stalingrad as add-ons?

Lots of us have talked about all of the Yak variants. The Yak-7B, Yak-1B and Yak-9 are all on my list. But I would imagine that if we were to go to Kursk or Kuban after Battle for Moscow then the Yak-9/9T would probably be on the top of the list.

Obviously the focus is now on an earlier time period of late 1941 early 1942 around Moscow.

Yep. its going to be BO Kuban or Kursk. Or BO Mediterranean . Kubans kind of done to death, so my money is on the other 2. with favor to the soviet side. 

When it comes to campaigns its going to be evolution not revolution in plane sets. 

Edited by silent_one

Yep. its going to be BO Kuban or Kursk. Or BO Mediterranean . Kubans kind of done to death, so my money is on the other 2. with favor to the soviet side. 

When it comes to campaigns its going to be evolution not revolution in plane sets. 

Kuban has been done to death?

Kuban has been done to death?

Yeah, kind of suprised as well. In my book there is only one theatre of war which has been ...hrrmm... depicted many times; BoB

Well we will have BOM and for 777 to earn more money my guess will be Kuban and Kursk scenario and P-39 and HS-129 . I would really love both these planes