The Groups Sharing Corner

SYN_Haashashin

AEthelraedUnraed
43 minutes ago, Deacon352nd said:

Please explain how to create an airfield. 

Alright, I'm actually in the process of making a surface editing guide. I hadn't planned to release it so soon, but I guess I'll accelerate the process and release a 0.5 version soon. Please check back in a couple of hours :)

Oh, and I'm also working on a "showcase" campaign that shows some surface editing and what is achievable with it (although no custom airfields, but these do appear in another campaign I'm working on).

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed
  • Upvote 1

This sounds very promising. Would it be possible to add small towns and or villages to a map? :coffee:

AEthelraedUnraed
13 minutes ago, Thad said:

This sounds very promising. Would it be possible to add small towns and or villages to a map? :coffee:

Yup. :)

• Like 1

SYN_Vander
5 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Airfields are possible to edit/create right now. Roads too (I think, but my tests weren't too extensive), but there is no editor or documentation (although it's a rather simple system). Vegetation is editable too, but *very* limited: you can just change the tree colour or make them look burnt.

I know about the surface editor. But can you add these changes to your mission, so to the .list file ? If it's a multiplayer mission, will other clients download the necessary added files? 

Edited by SYN_Vander

12 minutes ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Yup. :)

Outstanding. Oh the joy... the rapture. 😃

AEthelraedUnraed
10 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

I know about the surface editor. But can you add these changes to your mission, so to the .list file ? If it's a multiplayer mission, will other clients download the necessary changed files? 

For singleplayer missions, you can pack these changes with your mission, yes.

I'm not sure about multiplayer missions though. It should definitely be possible to load it if everyone on the server has pre-downloaded the surface files, but I'm not sure if they are downloaded along with the rest of the mission, or how to configure the game such that it does. Please let me know!

Do note however that, from my experiments, it is NOT necessary to have Mods On enabled 😄

SYN_Vander
45 minutes ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

For singleplayer missions, you can pack these changes with your mission, yes.

I'm not sure about multiplayer missions though. It should definitely be possible to load it if everyone on the server has pre-downloaded the surface files, but I'm not sure if they are downloaded along with the rest of the mission, or how to configure the game such that it does. Please let me know!

Do note however that, from my experiments, it is NOT necessary to have Mods On enabled 😄

Yeah I remember from RoF that as long as you only add new stuff it's okay. 

3 hours ago, Deacon352nd said:

Please explain how to create an airfield. 

The simplest is to copy paste from another one somewhere else on the map or another one. You can also add some path etc

AEthelraedUnraed
3 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Alright, I'm actually in the process of making a surface editing guide. I hadn't planned to release it so soon, but I guess I'll accelerate the process and release a 0.5 version soon. Please check back in a couple of hours :)

Oh, and I'm also working on a "showcase" campaign that shows some surface editing and what is achievable with it (although no custom airfields, but these do appear in another campaign I'm working on).

I've just released a beta version:

Hamaha15

Hi,

a couple of airfields added to the Rheinland summer map at its southwesternmost corner. The lowest layer is a transparent 'solid tape' which makes the otherwise soggy ground firm, however, taking off and landing remain a hazard because the soil is bumpy. A tool to flatten the surface would be helpful. And a tree remover tool...

These airfields didn't play a significant role in the fighting. They are intended just to set the stage. One exception: Geinsheim airfield was used by Gen. Patton's 3rd Army for assembly after crossing the River Rhine at Nierstein, just a few hundred meters to the southwest. The farm buildings at the airfield edge were in reality the station buildings in disguise. They are well peserved today and now finally serve to what they always pretended to be: an agriculteral facility - a fish farm.

Making existing airfields disappear is easy and reversible: just set the Opacity value of all textures to zero in the properties dialogue. If you want to have them back reset the Opacity to 1 (except the lowest layer of solid tape).

Of course I'm going to share once the work will be completed...

If I switch the MOD option off the changes to the map are not visible. Maybe that's due to a different approach as I haven't tinkered with the .list files of specific missions. The additions made to the Rhineland map my way are visible in all missions created locally if the map is saved in the graphics folder.

Keen to see more about the subject in AEthelreadUnread's new manual. 😀

Cheers

1543605113_Geinsheimairfield.thumb.JPG.e67e3b85499c2b75a20896c375a00631.JPG

Geinsheim airfield - in the background on the opposite bank of the River Rhine lies Nierstein, where Gen. Patton's 3rd US Army crossed the River hours before FM Montgomery's troops did so much farther in the North. Of course, the nasty wood in the center is not according to the prototype...

DA-Griesheim.thumb.JPG.6e618ea22846bb6aa8157927931bff9f.JPG

Darmstadt/Griesheim airfield - home of the DFS assault glider factory

F-Rebstock.thumb.JPG.1d348a746e54c1b552ff4114ff8daaff.JPG

Frankfurt/Main's Rebstock city airport from the 1920s on until Rhein-Main (FRA) took over in the Fifties

Edited by Hamaha15
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hamaha15

Populating the Netherlands - WIP

some WIP pictures of scenery added to the Rhineland autumn map recently. The work is in support of a future update and extension of the Operation Oyster mission. I will share all scenery groups and updated surface details after the release of the Oyster update, hopefully following immediately the release of the Mosquito. A good portion of older added scenery w/o surface details yet is available with Vander's EMG.

Cheers

Soesterberg_East.thumb.jpg.12d5a43622aa1f7fe3b1645be141bbbc.jpg

Fliegerhorst Soesterberg and town seen in westerly direction

Soesterberg_West.thumb.jpg.e2629a7c2b9c36aad7563b84a25d23a2.jpg

Fliegerhorst Soesterberg and town seen in easterly direction, in the background to the left: town of Soest

Dordrecht_high_alt.thumb.jpg.743ed2717f7099cc38be5a1c4e55c8c3.jpg

The city of Dordrecht with Papendrecht (right) and Zwijndrecht (left) across the River Maas

Dordrecht_low.thumb.jpg.5ac02578fb8d8bfe07e46ed59bf0a3dc.jpg

Low level pass along the River Oude Maas with Dordrecht to the right, Zwijndrecht to the left and straight ahead Papendrecht, home of the Aviolanda aircraft factory

Edited by Hamaha15
  • Like 4