Just how should I fly my Yak-1 in an air-quake?

I usually fly 'normal' server.  I am sticking with the Yak-1.  I know it can beat the 109-s in a sustained horizontal turn fight.  But, really - in an air quake doing so is just a death sentence.  I can't climb as fast as either 109-s and any decent 109 pilot is always going to be diving on me.  Do I dare try to do a head on with either 109?

If I can catch a 109 lower than I and dealing with another fighter I have a chance on getting him.  Other than that I am not sure what to do.  

Not that I'm very good with the Yak, but I'd say low and fast. Make sure you go so low that a bouncing 109 from 2000m can't get a first shot without lawndarting. Once he's down to your level win the energy game in a few sharp turns or loops (just remember not to put too much air beneath you) and rip off his wings in short deflection bursts.

Mostly get a couple of wingmen. I've seen some really amazing pairings on the soviet side.

Yes! It is amazing what you can do with good wingmen, and a lot of patience.

I am no expert in dog fighting but staying fast and switching targets often has always helped me  

Not that I'm very good with the Yak, but I'd say low and fast. Make sure you go so low that a bouncing 109 from 2000m can't get a first shot without lawndarting. Once he's down to your level win the energy game in a few sharp turns or loops (just remember not to put too much air beneath you) and rip off his wings in short deflection bursts.

I appreciate that quite a few people who fly Soviet planes on 'normal servers' tend to stay low for some reason but I've never understood why.  I've also noticed a lot of guys on ATAG who flew Spits and Hurricanes often did the same thing.  Not all of them of course but quite a few.  It's as if they think that aircraft that are described as 'turn fighters' must be flown in such a way that tempts the enemy into a low level horizontal turning contest.  

To me, this sort of approach seems to be right on the edge of full-blown insanity.   If you fly low, you are always going to be preyed upon by those people who occupy the airspace above you.  It is those people who hold the tactical advantage because they have the ability to convert their altitude into speed.  Sure, you can 'turn' to avoid attacks from above but more often than not you'll probably get clipped at some point - particularly if you're attempting to manage two or more enemies at once.  Turning, as the Squadron Leader (Wing Commander???) famously once said, 'doesn't win battles'.  And that's because turning is defensive. If you stay low you just limits your options.and make yourself a target. 

Edited by Wulf

Lots of good advice in this thread. You pretty much have to fly the Yak on the edge of the envelope, so you really need to become familiar with what it can, and cannot do. Watch the long turn fights and try and stay aware of other enemies around you. I usually get clobbered when I remain too focused on the plane I'm after and someone sneaks around on me. But most important...have fun!

Well so far if I want to fly seriously I fly into the battle area at about 2,000 meters.  I usually find a 109 up there, often a G-2.  That keeps the chaos down and I can usually keep track of the planes up there.  yet it is not so high as to miss out on any combat or be able to dive down with out diving so far down and fast to again not be able to engage.  But those 109s can still out climb me and out run me.  So I often run away and they chase.  When they get about 2,000 meters away I can turn around and do a head on.  Sometimes I win that.  But regardless I keep on flying in that direction and wait tell the 109 gets again about 2.000 meters away.  Some times they are so well above me all I can do is slow down to 350 and wait tell they are in a dive about 1,000 meters above and then make as sharp a turn as I can and then try to run away again.  Some times I can turn down on them and get in a quick burst.  But I am not that good at doing that yet. 

I am not satisfied with being on so much defense but that is the best I can do for now.

Tonight was the first night to play using 1.009.  And with my new joystick a Thrustmaster t.1000m and changing what keys for zoom in and out. 

Well, I could actually have a real furball with Sapsan777 or same fellow close to that name.  I consider him a very good pilot.  For the first time I felt I could actually engage and have a long fight.  Great fun!

If I stay low and fast I can avoid attacks from 109s until they actually commit to following me and hence a turn fight starts. If they keep to bz like any good 109 pilot should do I can avoid all day long but can't really be offensive hence I will take greater risks to get off a shot.

I find keeping a medium altitude is urbest bet, don't try climbing with a 109 and don't dive after and follow them. Just try and time it so u meet at a point in space for a shot if u miss don't follow just get some space and try to start again

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 1

Any fighter, heck even bigger planes can do a lot more if they have altitude. Just because the Yak is known to be a low altitude fighter, it doesn't mean you are not better off at 4000 meters than at 400 meters.

Ask Rambo to take you with him for a couple of sorties and you'll change your opinion about where the Yak belongs and what it can do. :)

Edited by Jaws2002

Yeah, bloody old Rambo.  He's one of those irritating nemesis players.  God knows how many times he's shot me down but it's beyond counting.  Let's just say that if I had a dollar for each occasion he's shot me down my life would be wall-to-wall hookers and E by now.  Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the cash.  

Damn you Rambooooooooooooo.....wa.!!!!!!..   :salute:   

Edited by Wulf