Zak

Developer Diary, Part 89 - Discussion

And i almost forgot. With the FME and Dserver. People can finally make Coops. We can lay that one to bed.

Is this 100% correct?... The editor with the Dserver will guarantee this?

Is this 100% correct?... The editor with the Dserver will guarantee this?

You still need a PC to host your server, you can't start a server from within the game and be the host yourself while playing at the same time like in Il-2 or ROF....

Lots to like here I think. I expect to see 100s of new missions cranked out by next weekend.

You still need a PC to host your server, you can't start a server from within the game and be the host yourself while playing at the same time like in Il-2 or ROF....

Clarification of this would be useful. Certainly in my squadron, many of us have assumed that a player would be able to host missions as well as participate. It would be inconvenient for some if this was not the case.

Edited by No601_Swallow

Clarification of this would be useful. Certainly in my squadron, many of us have assumed that a player would be able to host missions as well as participate. It would be inconvenient for some if this was not the case.

Not sure 100% about this but I don't think you'll be able to run dserver and game client on the same PC...

a bloody big WOW to this upcoming update, lovely set of fixes and new features

enjoy your well deserved long weekend

Not sure 100% about this but I don't think you'll be able to run dserver and game client on the same PC...

:( If that is the case, then having the dserver.exe will be marginally useful for small squads like mine, where players host games for coop play and have no interest in airquake action. I hope you are wrong. The rest of my group (5 folks to be exact) are waiting for this feature to buy IL2BoS. 

Is the oxygen mask modeled on the pilots or only a mechanical feature?

Excellent change log. Keep the good work!

???

It is now possible to set a pool of missions to put the to rotation on a ranked server. To add a mission to the pool you need to contact us

So does that mean that unranked servers have to change to another mission by hand?

If yes, why? Mission cycles and rotations are fundamental for interesting long play scenarios as long as it is not yet possible (will be?) to dynamically change the frontline in a running mission. Don´t get me wrong, I really enjoy BoS and the upcoming changes, but why do I feel again like a dog leashed with a lead when it comes to creativity?

• Upvote 1

Every aircraft in BOS, except IL-2, is equipped with an oxygen system. It’s designed to provide normal breathing for a pilot on high altitudes. Flying higher than 3000m with a malfunctioning oxygen system or without one is dangerous due to chances of falling unconscious and lowered tolerance to overloads.thread

3000 m seem to be a pretty low altitude to get the first symptoms of hypoxia leading to unconsciousness.

At 4500 m (15000ft.) the time of unconsciousness is still 30' or more.

The table below reflects various altitudes with the corresponding average TUC (Time of useful consciousness) for healthy, young military pilots:

post-911-0-94719900-1424445276_thumb.jpg

Rmk: 8000 ft. (~2500 m) is a common cabin altitude for passenger aircraft flying at 41000 ft. (Ex: B737)

Note:  I remember flying an unpressurised twins with some friends from KRAP to KPUB above the Rockies at 15000 ft.

We (3 healthy, young, pilots) flew 0200 hrs. above the south eastern range high Grid MORA and we didn't get any hypoxia symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Anyway great update ! Thanks !

Edited by Rodolphe
  • Upvote 1

Any enthusiasm for me is rather dampened by the news that the mods-on mode will not be included. I really don't want to be one of those whiner types, but have to say I'm not really feelin it right now.

Completely understandable. You had pinned quite a lot of your hopes on the modding community. While I recognise this as a bad decission, I really don't think it's gonna matter much to me personally, because I've always been too lazy to be an extensive mod user.

Doesn't mean this update isn't a whole truckload of good news, but I understand why some would not feel like rejoycing.

A wonderful plethora of additions and fixes that will enhance and expand BOS.  Tip of the hat to the devs!

Looking forward to the many new missions that the talented community members will bring to mp.

:( If that is the case, then having the dserver.exe will be marginally useful for small squads like mine, where players host games for coop play and have no interest in airquake action. I hope you are wrong. The rest of my group (5 folks to be exact) are waiting for this feature to buy IL2BoS.

The dserver doesn't need a gaming PC. If one of your squad has a notebook, that will be good enough. You can run the dserver behind the same router as the gaming PC. The advantage of that setup is a stable host. I prefered this setup even when just flying duels. Edited by BlackDevil

51. It is now possible to set a pool of missions to put the to rotation on a ranked server. To add a mission to the pool you need to contact us;

Why is this option limited to ""ranked" servers only? We can't use custom skins in ranked servers, why is this option not available for all servers and why do hosts need to contact you to add missions to their servers?

Why do you need to control what missions people run on their servers?

Why is this option limited to ""ranked" servers only? We can't use custom skins in ranked servers, why is this option not available for all servers and why do hosts need to contact you to add missions to their servers?

Failure of logic, Jaws old chap. The fact that they've enabled this with "ranked servers" doesn't mean they've stopped this being possible on other servers.

I'm not saying it'll definitely be possible, just that they haven't said it won't.

As I say, logic.

Edited by No601_Swallow

Failure of logic, Jaws old chap. The fact that they've enabled this with "ranked servers" doesn't mean they've stopped this being possible on other servers.

I'm not saying it'll definitely be possible, just that they haven't said it won't.

So far we only know it's possible to add missions to the pool in ranked servers and because they want the hosts to contact them, every time they try to add a mission to the pool, there's a good chance they won't do that for not ranked servers.

So, if you don't know exactly if it's possible to do that in not ranked servers, why don't you let them answer the question, instead of throwing guesses in the dark.

any screenshot comparison of the new/corrected La-5 canopy vs the old one?

according to our duscussion with devs on russian forum, visibility through each type of windcreen will be a bit better........

Because they are ranked server, of course they want to control what goes on in ranked servers. That has been the way with all MP games using ranked servers, there has to be standards and controls in place for ranked servers.

Unranked can do whatever they want since they aren't a part of the ranked group.

• Upvote 1

So far we only know it's possible to add missions to the pool in ranked servers and because they want the hosts to contact them, every time they try to add a mission to the pool, there's a good chance they won't do that for not ranked servers.

So, if you don't know exactly if it's possible to do that in not ranked servers, why don't you let them answer the question, instead of throwing guesses in the dark.

My dear Jaws,

Please read your own post. You're the one making guesses. I made no guesses whatsoever. Indeed, I was quite explicitly not assuming anything at all beyond what they've already said.

I do think you should avoid jumping to outlandish conclusions. Someone might think you have some sort of agenda!

Edited by No601_Swallow

That would make absolutely no sense. As long as your computer is powerful enough you'll be able to run as many server as you want.

This sounds like it should have been version 1.0

Then the game would have been delayed six months and the detractors would have been screaming, "Liars, cheats, money back, murderers, etc!"

• Upvote 2

That would make absolutely no sense. As long as your computer is powerful enough you'll be able to run as many server as you want.

Ok, that sounds good, I really hope I'm wrong on this one ;)

I wouldn't say it's a milestone but I'm happy to see you guys are fixing all these issues that must have been there for a while.

Can't wait for more !

Keep up the good work and add some free stuff we can fly :P

Edited by Hauggy

Excellent list of changes, hopefully this breathes a bit of life back into BoS. :)

3000 m seem to be a pretty low altitude to get the first symptoms of hypoxia leading to unconsciousness.

At 4500 m (15000ft.) the time of unconsciousness is still 30' or more.

The table below reflects various altitudes with the corresponding average TUC (Time of useful consciousness) for healthy, young military pilots:

attachicon.gifTUC.jpg

Rmk: 8000 ft. (~2500 m) is a common cabin altitude for passenger aircraft flying at 41000 ft. (Ex: B737)

Note:  I remember flying an unpressurised twins with some friends from KRAP to KPUB above the Rockies at 15000 ft.

We (3 healthy, young, pilots) flew 0200 hrs. above the south eastern range high Grid MORA and we didn't get any hypoxia symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Anyway great update ! Thanks !

You're right of course. The 3km thing is sort of a recommendation. A large number of people regularly hike up the sides of mountains that are well over 3km. I did this as a child with my parents. It is exhausting compared to hiking near sea level, but very much doable without any training. I'd guess anything below 5km is perfectly safe assuming you have healthy lungs. Above that you may need special training but I couldn't say, never hiked that high. With that said, it sounds like BoS will have a fairly resonable modeling of it. We'll have to see for ourselves of course, but I get the impression it won't be some random passout thing but instead places limits on the pilot's ability to cope with G's.That is a very reasonable way to do it imho.

One thing I should probably add is back in the 1940's, practically everyone in Europe and the US smoked heavily. That may have had a significant impact on young and otherwise healthy pilots.