Lupson

[Release] Simple 3rd party Mission Builder for BoS

Lupson, it depends if you use the command Spawn or activate.

With Spawn command, you have to set a waypoint to every entities. They don't work as a team, it's a limitation we would like dev change. With activate, every entities work as a group, so you have to set waypoint to the leader.

Edited by Habu

This is just what we needed to get some enthusiasm back into the game and with the impending update coming up....I'm feeling pretty positive again....Thanks again, Lupson.

• Upvote 2

This is just what we needed to get some enthusiasm back into the game and with the impending update coming up....I'm feeling pretty positive again....Thanks again, Lupson.

I agree, JagdNeun. 

• Upvote 1

- Waypoints are now impossible to select so I cannot assign actions to them. I can't find any way to select them now. If I assign two airgroups on each side, deselect, select, export, reload etc and try select it is not working. I would say this is a priority to fix right now.

In the first try they are unresponsive, but select the flight again and double click on waypoints work OK. No problem to select waypoints after this.

Seems like the program are searching for instructions in first try.  :)

BTW - Whit this latest update.

Edited by Sokol1

Generated my first simple mission....and this thing works really well for me.  If I can get the hang of it.....trust me....anyone can.

Trucks (column) search for the nearest road with waypoints.

trucks2.jpg

Where is the Ground Object Katyusha? :)

Edited by Sokol1

Trucks (column) search for the nearest road with waypoints.

trucks2.jpg

Where is the Ground Object Katyusha? :)

Yes, fixed the follow roads issue with the first update.

Regarding ground objects, feel free to search your .Mission files (or other game resources, if possible) for their script and model paths and post them to this thread or send me a PM, e.g:

script = LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Blocks\static_opel.txt

model = graphics\blocks\static_opel.mgm

Then I can add them easily.

In the first try they are unresponsive, but select the flight again and double click on waypoints work OK. No problem to select waypoints after this.

Seems like the program are searching for instructions in first try.  :)

BTW - Whit this latest update.

Well, I didn't actually change anything regarding to waypoint selection in the first update. Will however try to find time to redo it ASAP. I think the problem may be that for a waypoint to be selectable/draggable, its parent object needs to be selected first. Originally, one could drag and/or select any waypoint at any time but it made it really hard to find the right one when several waypoints from different flights or ground units were placed in close proximity to each other.

This is wonderful addition to BOS.  It should be incorporated right into the game.

Although currently this is for Single player only, is there any thought of making it capable of creating Multi-player missions in the future?

This is wonderful addition to BOS.  It should be incorporated right into the game.

Although currently this is for Single player only, is there any thought of making it capable of creating Multi-player missions in the future?

Perhaps coop missions. According to the RoF manual, it should be sufficient to change a parameter on that "Options" object, but I strongly suspect there is more to it such as defining which flight(s) that a human should be able to join etc.

Complex MP missions for red on blue, capturable airfields, objectives etc etc is with high probability much too complex for SMB. Better let the FMB handle those.

With Spawn command, you have to set a waypoint to every entities. They don't work as a team, it's a limitation we would like dev change. With activate, every entities work as a group, so you have to set waypoint to the leader.

Thanks for the info.

I looked at the code now, I am triggering the first waypoint of every group by creating a chain like this:

MCU_TR_MissionBegin -> (target link) -> MCU_Timer -> (target link) -> MCU_Waypoint -> (object link) -> MCU_TR_Entity -> (MisObjID) -> Plane/Vehicle leader of group. Also, the MCU_Waypoint has a (target link) to the next MCU_Waypoint - UNLESS it has a command such as (ATTACK_TARGET, ATTACK_AREA, COVER).

I can try a 10-plane AI group and see if they follow a route properly. If there's some hidden limitation of 6 planes it is probably a BoS engine limitation.

I know I issued a ATTACK_AREA command to a 12 plane group of IL-2's during testing and they all attacked ground targets IIRC.

I havn't used MCU_Activate or MCU_Spawn at all yet. When I look at QMB or Campaign missions they seem to use proximity CLOSER/FARTHER triggers together with MCU_Activeate/Deactive and MCU_Spawn to "spawn" AI units whenever the player gets near and then deactivates them when the player moves away again. Would be sweet to be able to automate that behaviour in SMB.

Doing proximity checks is probably necessary if one wants to build missions with hundreds of AI air/ground objects. I accidently generated 6 FLAK units for every bridge in SMB last week. I got 1-2 fps in mission then...

I notice that when a friendly AI flight reach the first waypoint a white on screen message pop-up informing this event - like in Veteran66 campaigns.

I notice that when a friendly AI flight reach the first waypoint a white on screen message pop-up informing this event - like in Veteran66 campaigns.

Yes, I have added an MCU_TR_Subtitle triggered by reaching waypoint for all friendly AI flights.

[FLIGHT NAME] ([TYPE]) has reached waypoint [N]

I'm planning on making those optional by a checkbox on each group. There should also be a message when an ATTACK_AREA command expires after 20 minutes:

[FLIGHT NAME] ([TYPE]) attack time period expired, resuming route.

Making the expiry time configurable is yet another thing to fix...

New update, 2015-02-22

* Added weather editor

* Fixed waypoint selection bug

Latest zip, install over existing installation: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/da8484aic2hh249/bos-smb.zip?dl=0

Latest .war application file, just overwrite your existing one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iumhephqzyv4os1/bos-missiongenerator-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war?dl=0

screenshot6.jpg?raw=true

Not 100% sure how all that weather stuff works - only way I can get it to snow this far is by using the "Overcast" cloud config, precipitation type SNOW and precipitation 100.

I also tried maxing out turbulence and winds. Yikes... that was shaky.

Having some problems exporting the mission to folder....Was wondering if anyone else if having any problems...?  I can do a simple mission...no problem, but the more complicated mission will not export.  Not sure why just yet..

Edited by JagdNeun

Happens there, in case a plane the culprit was a flight without waypoints.

My actual mission has:

2x 6 He 111 groups flying close - 100 meters altitude difference - they fly nice staggered formation, but became a "flock of scared seagulls" on fighters presence... (1CGS please, fix this!!!).

4 Bf 109 takeoff from Gunrack - they "scramble" in B of B style (has someone mapped the runways directions? :), think that in wind direction.

4 Yak-1 searching for He 111 - but most times detect and engage the Bf 109 and are wiped out (same skill)

4 La-5 (&player) patrolling above Yaks, I draw the AI for He 111 - is not easy find the He 111 with all clouds (no "labels)

A truck column (5) following a road to He 111 planed landing area (rarely some landing - outside runway)

Some FLAK on the right side of Volga

Random FLAK on map (think set be Mission Generator) - sometimes one appear in middle of runway and prevent Bf 109 to (try) land - engage planes near

Heavy clouds from 800 - 2000m, 2 m/s wind from various directions

Much better than QM generated "Airquake" .

I figured it out...I was giving it a waypoint action, but was not giving it a target......I think that was the problem....

Hi.

Is anyone else getting the error that : 'Stalingrad_ALL_AIRFIELDS.eng is missing/does not exist' when trying to export the mission to disk?

I have checked the BOS data folder and it appears to be there.

Hi.

Is anyone else getting the error that : 'Stalingrad_ALL_AIRFIELDS.eng is missing/does not exist' when trying to export the mission to disk?

I have checked the BOS data folder and it appears to be there.

That error occurs if your config/application.properties file with its property 'bos.data.directory' doesn't point at your BoS/data folder. Some other poster had forgot to change c:\\Program Files\\... to c:\\Program Files(x86)\\ for example.

Happens there, in case a plane the culprit was a flight without waypoints.

My actual mission has:

2x 6 He 111 groups flying close - 100 meters altitude difference - they fly nice staggered formation, but became a "flock of scared seagulls" on fighters presence... (1CGS please, fix this!!!).

4 Bf 109 takeoff from Gunrack - they "scramble" in B of B style (has someone mapped the runways directions? :), think that in wind direction.

4 Yak-1 searching for He 111 - but most times detect and engage the Bf 109 and are wiped out (same skill)

4 La-5 (&player) patrolling above Yaks, I draw the AI for He 111 - is not easy find the He 111 with all clouds (no "labels)

A truck column (5) following a road to He 111 planed landing area (rarely some landing - outside runway)

Some FLAK on the right side of Volga

Random FLAK on map (think set be Mission Generator) - sometimes one appear in middle of runway and prevent Bf 109 to (try) land - engage planes near

Heavy clouds from 800 - 2000m, 2 m/s wind from various directions

Much better than QM generated "Airquake" .

Nice!

All airfields uses the same coordinates for runways, approach points etc. I don't remember from which airfield I copied as base template but it may have been Gumrack and in that case landings and take-offs there should work much better.

Adding randomization is yet another thing on the TODO list. A number of the commands to make groups spawn/do commands etc comes with a random = 100 setting which can be modified beteen 0 - 100.

I figured it out...I was giving it a waypoint action, but was not giving it a target......I think that was the problem....

Generally, if anyone has problems exporting - check the error message (if any) and post it here if it doesn't make sense. Also, check the output in the console window opened by the backend application. Copy the last 100 lines or so and send to me in a pm and I'll have a look.

That error occurs if your config/application.properties file with its property 'bos.data.directory' doesn't point at your BoS/data folder. Some other poster had forgot to change c:\\Program Files\\... to c:\\Program Files(x86)\\ for example.

Thanks Lupson,

I have it pointed to that directory....but I may have the syntax wrong..I only have a single \ in there.  I will retry that now.

Once again,  Thanks.

Thanks Lupson,

I have it pointed to that directory....but I may have the syntax wrong..I only have a single \ in there.  I will retry that now.

Once again,  Thanks.

Yeah, you need to have double backslashes, otherwise Java will interpret the single slash as an escape character. Actually, these days Java handles forward slashes as path separators on Windows pretty well so it may also work like this:

bos.data.directory = c:/Program Files/steamapps/bos/data

Hello,

Nice application.

I have a problem saving mission.

Several days ago,it works and I succeeded to save a mission several times. At a moment I had the message :

"Error saving mission to disk: Index:0, Size:0. Since that, I cannot save a mission.

I have done a fresh install (new version of SMB) but still the same problem when I do an export to disk.

Here is the first lines of the error message in the console.

2015-02-23 11:06:16.006  INFO 5364 --- [           main] se.lu.bos.misgen.Application             : Started Application in 14.001 seconds (JVM running for
14.616)

2015-02-23 11:10:35.779  INFO 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-1] o.a.c.c.C.[Tomcat].[localhost].[/]       : Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'dispatcherServlet
'
2015-02-23 11:10:35.779  INFO 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-1] o.s.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet        : FrameworkServlet 'dispatcherServlet': initialization st
arted
2015-02-23 11:10:35.804  INFO 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-1] o.s.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet        : FrameworkServlet 'dispatcherServlet': initialization co
mpleted in 24 ms
2015-02-23 11:12:27.669  WARN 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-9] s.l.b.misgen.groups.AirfieldNameReader   : Problem parsing line: ´++3:Manoyli
2015-02-23 11:12:51.251  WARN 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-8] s.l.b.misgen.groups.AirfieldNameReader   : Problem parsing line: ´++3:Manoyli
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
        at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)

System info: Window 7 family edition

java version "1.8.0_31"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

I have the full log if you want it.

Thanks for helping

Hello,

Nice application.

I have a problem saving mission.

Several days ago,it works and I succeeded to save a mission several times. At a moment I had the message :

"Error saving mission to disk: Index:0, Size:0. Since that, I cannot save a mission.

I have done a fresh install (new version of SMB) but still the same problem when I do an export to disk.

Here is the first lines of the error message in the console.

2015-02-23 11:06:16.006  INFO 5364 --- [           main] se.lu.bos.misgen.Application             : Started Application in 14.001 seconds (JVM running for

14.616)

2015-02-23 11:10:35.779  INFO 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-1] o.a.c.c.C.[Tomcat].[localhost].[/]       : Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'dispatcherServlet

'

2015-02-23 11:10:35.779  INFO 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-1] o.s.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet        : FrameworkServlet 'dispatcherServlet': initialization st

arted

2015-02-23 11:10:35.804  INFO 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-1] o.s.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet        : FrameworkServlet 'dispatcherServlet': initialization co

mpleted in 24 ms

2015-02-23 11:12:27.669  WARN 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-9] s.l.b.misgen.groups.AirfieldNameReader   : Problem parsing line: ´++3:Manoyli

2015-02-23 11:12:51.251  WARN 5364 --- [p-nio-80-exec-8] s.l.b.misgen.groups.AirfieldNameReader   : Problem parsing line: ´++3:Manoyli

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0

at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)

at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)

System info: Window 7 family edition

java version "1.8.0_31"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)

Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

I have the full log if you want it.

Thanks for helping

Thanks for the report. You can pm me the full log output. I also have that problem with Manoyli airfield, don't think it matters. It's caused by an invalid character on the corresponding line in that /Template/airfields.eng (or something like that).

Not 100% sure how all that weather stuff works - only way I can get it to snow this far is by using the "Overcast" cloud config, precipitation type SNOW and precipitation 100.

Cloud Height and Cloud Level are tricky options, you can't change it in BoS.

Mission processing engine recognizes cloud config as a preset, which declares all needed data, cloud height/level depends on exact config.

To change cloud settings you need to change cloud config option (there are a lots of it for different weather conditions).

Hello,

For lazy guys like me, you can create a batch file to start 'chrome' in the same batch file :

Write this in your batch file

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
start /b java -jar bos-missiongenerator-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war

timeout 19 >nul

start chrome localhost

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you see a blank page do some F5 to refresh until you see application SMB.

You can set the timeout to the delay you want.

Just for fun

Wondering if the drop down for picking ground units can be more descriptive...

it is hard to determine what most vehicles really are from the current drop down list.

Wondering if the drop down for picking ground units can be more descriptive...

it is hard to determine what most vehicles really are from the current drop down list.

In the FMB, there is a preview which help. Maybe Lupson could had that feature when the FMB will be release.

Cloud Height and Cloud Level are tricky options, you can't change it in BoS.

Mission processing engine recognizes cloud config as a preset, which declares all needed data, cloud height/level depends on exact config.

To change cloud settings you need to change cloud config option (there are a lots of it for different weather conditions).

Thanks for the clarification. I guess precType and precLevel doesn't have any effect either? I'll remove those and the cloud height/level from the weathereditor.

In the FMB, there is a preview which help. Maybe Lupson could had that feature when the FMB will be release.

Yes, I have sort of been planning to add at least a category text and a more "human readable" name for all planes and units. Will be interesting to see how the FMB presents all these things to the user.

Lupson there is a picture out there somewhere that has every airbase and its runway headings.  I have the low res version but I believe there is a high res version too.  If someone can help me out here, Im posting via my phone.

Thinking of my experience with il-2 1946 and COD, perhaps the expectation will be to be using 4-aircraft (maximum) flights.  So a 12 aircraft squadron would consist of 3 groups of 4.

Maybe (?) some of the problems encountered with collisions and formation-keeping are due to trying to set the formation size too big - i.e. coding in an entire squadron-sized formation in what is really only intended for one flight?

Haven't tried it myself so can't say for sure. Keeping my energies for the impending FME.

Edited by kendo

I'm VERY glad to report, that setting 'AILevel = 0' in whatever position in the player's flight lets you fly in that position (AILevel = n>0 for all other positions) :)

I did not test it extensively, but in the mission I tried the "new" leader followed the assigned waypoints and all other planes were following him, not me. Also, the radio menu does not show commands any more, just gestures. I don't know if anything else could cause issues, if I find anything I'll report back. So far so (very) good.

Thanks also for the updates, Lupson!

Edited by yeikov

I'm VERY glad to report, that setting 'AILevel = 0' in whatever position in the player's flight lets you fly in that position (AILevel = n>0 for all other positions) :)

I did not test it extensively, but in the mission I tried the "new" leader followed the assigned waypoints and all other planes were following him, not me.

Thanks also for the updates, Lupson!

Sounds good.  Where do we find this setting yeikov?

In the .Mission file created by the app, under [game folder]/data/Missions/webmissions.

There's a Plane {...} entry for each plane, the one with AILevel = 0 is yours.

Edited by yeikov

Sounds good.  Where do we find this setting yeikov?

I added this feature to SMB yesterday evening, e.g. so one can choose "Position in formation" in the flight where AiLevel is set to 0. Note! Since the flight setting is 0 I just picked 3 (Veteran) for the other planes in the flight.

Also - I discovered that the AI Level for AI flights were hard-coded to 2 (Regular) regardless of whatever one set in SMB for a given flight. My bad, fixed as well...

Will try to release a new update tonight also having a cleaned up Weather Editor removing the controls not having any effect.

You have enviable skills Lupston. Very nice work with lots of potential!

Thanks!