SOLIDKREATE

Best screen capture software that captures audio?

Hey guys I'm looking for a good screen capture software suite that also captures audio. With all of the brands claiming to be the best, it's a tough decision. Can you guys recommend some to me that don't cost $100.00 USD?

MSI Afterburner

DXTory.

DXTory is my video capture program of choice.

Edited by HippyDruid

Open Broadcaster Software - http://obsproject.com/ 

This is in my opinion best of the free software, it supports streaming as well as recording and compresses while it records. It also has very minimal impact on framerate, unlike Fraps. It supports screen recording so you can record more than just your games.

Open Broadcaster Software - http://obsproject.com/  This is in my opinion best of the free software, it supports streaming as well as recording and compresses while it records. It also has very minimal impact on framerate, unlike Fraps. It supports screen recording so you can record more than just your games.

Very interesting and unknown to me, will check it out thank you very much

MSI Afterburner works perfect for me and is FREEWARE, so just try it and see if it does what you want...

I use VirtualDub for my recording and OBS for streaming. OBS is very good, you can't go wrong with it.

I have Fraps and Dxtory. All of my youtube stuff is done with fraps. Keep in mind that the quality you see on youtube is crap compared to my actual renders. The footage I get after rendering is damn close to in-game quality, youtube screws it all up when I upload.  :dry:

I record full resolution (1080p) @ 60fps and it doesn't bother framerate at all on my rig. 

I would use dxtory if I wasn't so lazy, dxtory is definitely more complex and offers more features, I just never feel like messing with it and setting it up. One of these days....

Edited by [AKA]Kraut

Hey guys I'm looking for a good screen capture software suite that also captures audio. With all of the brands claiming to be the best, it's a tough decision. Can you guys recommend some to me that don't cost $100.00 USD?

DxTory is very good.

Open Broadcaster Software - http://obsproject.com/

This is in my opinion best of the free software, it supports streaming as well as recording and compresses while it records. It also has very minimal impact on framerate, unlike Fraps. It supports screen recording so you can record more than just your games.

with another crazy good benefit, if you choose to stream, you cna record hours of gameplay and store them in the web. saving a lot of computer space. Not the best for video editing, but if you just want to review your sortie once its over, its perfect.

Here's a couple video software I got recently and I like them both: PlayClaw5 for game recording, and MagiX Movie Edit Pro for video encoding/editing. Both from Steam. I used to front Fraps all the time before but it really puts some load on while playing. And it splits up the video files too much in addition to making them huuuuge. PLayClaw makes ONE file for each recording, smaller in size (like 6-7gigs for 15min flying 1920x1080 @ 30FPS) and I cant say I've noticed any performance hits in game while recording either.

For the love of god, do not use FRAPS. It's a rubbish piece of software that hasn't kept up with the times. It's the most expensive software, the most resource intensive, extremely poor codec, raw recordings, extreme lack of options, recording FPS tied to game FPS. People just use it because it's one of the first recording softwares on the market and then they just got comfortable with it. However, there's lots of great suggestions in here.

Personally I can highly suggest Action! from Mirillis. Great interface, more options than you can shake a stick at, the recording codec is by far the best available today and it has great compatibility all-round. 

Dxtory as mentioned is also great, it even has the option of using custom codecs. So if you use the Lagarith Lossless codec you'll get practically no performance hit plus it also has a metric ton of options. My issue with it is the translation, so many obscure options that I have no clue what does because it's not a native English software. So there's probably a lot of options that could benefit you that you might lose out on. I haven't been able to use the screenshot feature of Dxtory because with SLI it seems to capture half of a framebuffer. 

MSI Afterburner has also got a lot of positive feedback, plus it's free. OBS as mentioned I learned has a recording feature that is quite alright. So if you don't want to pay, look into those.

But whatever you do, DON'T USE FRAPS. 

Personally I can highly suggest Action! from Mirillis. Great interface, more options than you can shake a stick at, the recording codec is by far the best available today and it has great compatibility all-round.

Not heard of this one, will have to check it out. Unfortunately I am one of those that decided upon Fraps a long time ago, and stuck with it; never had a problem with it though, I must say. Will definitely look into Action! though, thanks!

Wow, I really enjoyed that...one of the best I've seen.  Thanks JW

I use Fraps, and i have nothing against him, but i'll have a look on Action, and other solution.

I use DXTory for my videos. I filmed this video all with DXTory. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrreykjPXA

Jason

Jesus, that looks great! What are your render settings? Your videos hold so much more quality on youtube than mine do. Mine look like crap after uploading  :(

If you want to spend few extra dollars and get hardware that will not affect your performance at all, I recommend using Hauppauge Siena Video capture.  Here's a short video from DCS World using M2TS 1080P and 12MB (max settings ei source). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anT3kx-ci3Y

Edited by SimFreak

Been using OBS and must say it is very very flexible ( uses layers on the fly ! ) plus quality is not short of fraps or dxtory.

Bandicam or DXTory (or ShadowPlay if you have nvidia gpu) - avoid Fraps since it eats CPU alive...

Jason

Any chance you would share settings and give some tips? I can't get such nice quality when uploading to YT and my recordings are looking great before upload (it seems like YT just chews them after upload :/)

Asking so we could provide best visuals to everyone while promoting IL2: BoS that is :D

Edited by Marrond

... avoid Fraps since it eats CPU alive...

Really? I've never had a problem with Fraps, with regards to CPU usage, even back when I had a Core2Duo. On recommendation from this thread I recently tried DXtory; love the recording of separate audio streams but the video capture seems a bit flaky. For now I'm sticking with tried, tested and stable Fraps but will continue to evaluate DXtory, it certainly has potential!

Love this thread (and any other useful resource helping to discover new things)

I'm actually trying Action! by Mirillis and looks great so far so I may consider buying the full version for just 19 dollars.

Thanks to Sethos for the advice.

Oh wow thanks for the information! I just so happen to have a PNY GTX650 Ti!  :salute:

• Upvote 1

Anyone with an NVidia GeForce GTX 650 or higher can get a free screen recorder/broadcaster FREE with their graphics driver's software suite.

With on-the-fly hardware encoding and audio capture I'm really impressed with it.

Check it out at: http://www.geforce.co.uk/geforce-experience/shadowplay

Actually I've read something about it, and I have seen it in the gpu software, or through the geforce experience stuff, right?

Is it that good?

If so, I'd like to use an integrated solution for my movies, with no need for third party softwares.

Jason

thats a great film  i would love to make one that good, it showed all of rise of flight in one short hit , what map is that bridge in, and what map is the cruiser in  , ill fly under it and ill bomb that ship.

ya im gutted i got two asus gtx560 ti

Don't be, you're not missing anything. Unless fumbling for alt-F10 in the middle of a dogfight is a challenge you'd enjoy.

I don't want to record one-hour+ footage every time I play, which is why I have it on manual. Neither do I want it running permanently in order to save a last bit of it, it'll run the card hotter I expect.

Unfortunately, when I try to assign my space-bar for the capture key, the box comes up with "none" in it.

Half-baked flakey software that works for some, not for others.

Edited by II/JG3Siggi

Well, during the considerable time I've spent trying to find a solution to the problem I've come across numerous posts on various forums from people having a range of issues with Shadowplay, so it's not exactly "one person" having a problem.

And I'd rather have to turn SP off between flights rather than not have the use of the space-bar. Unfortunately some genius at Nvidia thought it best we not even have the option. Probably wanted a fat bonus before he'd include the rest of the keyboard. Or couldn't be arsed to make the effort. Or didn't know how.

It's the usual f**k-wittery one comes to expect from these clowns.

Suprisingly alt-space works! Thought I'd tried that already but hey ho. Cheers dude. :)

They still suck wad though. Code DX inputs into it so gamers can use frikkin' gaming controllers.

• Upvote 1

See following lists:

1. Joyoshare Screen Recorder

2. ActivePresenter

3.OBS

Try each one to decide the most suitable one.