BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 88 - Discussion

I guess the developers are trying to keep the missions playable for people with older PCs like mine. When run on my system the BoS/Rof engine has problems to handle large numbers of AI aircraft. I get a noticeable slowdown effect when more than 20 AI aircraft are active in a mission at the same time. The missions by Veteran are only  barely playable for me. I don't have this problem in multiplayer missions, so I think it is not so much caused by the plane models, but by the calculation of the AI behaviour and the AI commands.

It will be interesting to see with how many AI aircraft newer PCs can cope in a mission. Once the FMB becomes available we will be able to test it.

yes, the AI is dependent on cpu cycles, the larger your cpu and the faster and much easier it is for the software to operate at its fullest. I had a E8800 and immediately noticed how much of a slow down the cpu caused the software to not operate correctly on several games. when I built a fast system I benefitted as well as my software did, and I could see how much smoother everything was and faster and operated correctly.

Aaand now for the Kommissars to come in and remind you that OR is a bottom of the barrel gimmick.

That same attitude existed back in the 1970s when computers and 1st Gen gaming consoles were being developed.

Aaand now for the Kommissars to come in and remind you that OR is a bottom of the barrel gimmick.

so is crossfire and SLI...for that matter.

• Upvote 1

Prediction:

Once the CV of oculus is released each and every simmer that tries a flightsim/carsim with properly implemented OVR support will never go back to standard headtracked simming.

There is a reason why EVERY SINGLE (-1) serious sim that i know of - be it flight or car sim - is working to implement support for the oculus rift.

I agree. Just like TrackIR, there's no going back.

• Upvote 1

~S~ Everyone,

Taking a moment here to pause, and to say thank you all, for not completely shredding my complaint about staying on topic fellas.

Pushing too hard the envelope of imagination, or indeed, our considerable collective knowledge base, kills the germ in the seed of things, in my view of it.

Our military, and many self help groups stress "keep it simple stupid", for that very reason. And so, I shall follow suit in that, and not pontificate, much.

I've been having a tough time of things personally, and was pleasantly surprised to find such well thought out, and succinct, postings about Virtual Reality's future in simming.

I'm all for it myself. In due time, in due time.

Cheers! ;)

Cheers Jupp. I'm sure that makers virtual reality headsets will be as common as grass before long. BoS won't get left behind. ;)

You are able to express critique, when it comes to the sim, which is good. The more I am astonished, how unquestioningly you guys are, when it comes to OR. How often did the multibillion TV industry try to push 3D into the market ? They failed tremendously.

You should be aware, that it may need years, or perhaps it will never happen, before a VR device is more than a gimmick for a dogfight sim. The first impression will be great, I don't doubt that. But there are still a lot of big question marks about several aspects. 777 can't through money out of the window, because they have too less customers for that purpose. If they are smart, they wait, until there is proof, that a big percentage of customers do own a VR device and could use it for a dogfight flightsim.

• Upvote 1

The only aspect holding down this Sim in regards of goggles instead of head tracking is the fact OR will not support the simulators current API.

Devs, is there any word on when BoS will receive a Mods-on mode?  I'm hoping for an arrangement similar to the one which RoF currently enjoys.

Feathered, there won't be a mods-on mode in BOS. It didn't bring much content to ROF within the 6 years, so we find it unnecessary in BOS.

• Upvote 1

All posts about Mods-on mode have been moved into the "MODS OFF" thread HeffMurfs especially created for this discussion.

Please continue this discussion in the specific thread, and keep the current one for other subjects related to DD88.

• Upvote 1

You are able to express critique, when it comes to the sim, which is good. The more I am astonished, how unquestioningly you guys are, when it comes to OR. How often did the multibillion TV industry try to push 3D into the market ? They failed tremendously.

You should be aware, that it may need years, or perhaps it will never happen, before a VR device is more than a gimmick for a dogfight sim. The first impression will be great, I don't doubt that. But there are still a lot of big question marks about several aspects. 777 can't through money out of the window, because they have too less customers for that purpose. If they are smart, they wait, until there is proof, that a big percentage of customers do own a VR device and could use it for a dogfight flightsim.

The biggest turn off with VR for me is the price, hell I thought TrackIR was expensive but maybe I'm just a cheapskate!

Looking at the Oculus Rift right now it's far too expensive in my view for me. Current price $799.49. I know the price will come down but that is a lot of cash for something that is still effectively in development.

So as not to stray too far off topic for this thread, are we going to have clickable controls in cockpit for BoM  

PS I know I keep asking this ;)

So as not to stray too far off topic for this thread, are we going to have clickable controls in cockpit for BoM

NO, just no.

:)

The biggest turn off with VR for me is the price, hell I thought TrackIR was expensive but maybe I'm just a cheapskate!

Looking at the Oculus Rift right now it's far too expensive in my view for me. Current price $799.49. I know the price will come down but that is a lot of cash for something that is still effectively in development.

So as not to stray too far off topic for this thread, are we going to have clickable controls in cockpit for BoM  

PS I know I keep asking this ;)

What site has it at 799? I got my dk2 for 400. And not to mention the release plan has said they will sell them for just over cost.

NO, just no.

:)

Ohhh darn it :o:  :biggrin:

What site has it at 799? I got my dk2 for 400. And not to mention the release plan has said they will sell them for just over cost.

Amazon

Ohhh darn it :o:  :biggrin:

Amazon

Ah wrll there ys go. Thise are 2nd hand dk's. Wait for the consumer version and dont be suprised to find it at the 300 dollar range.

Ah wrll there ys go. Thise are 2nd hand dk's. Wait for the consumer version and dont be suprised to find it at the 300 dollar range.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on developments.

BOM is now a expansion pack, or a separate game?

It's two, two, two sims in one. Either or. Or both. Whichever way you want it. At least I think I read that somewhere in this thread 10-12 times. Might be wrong.

It's two, two, two sims in one. Either or. Or both. Whichever way you want it. At least I think I read that somewhere in this thread 10-12 times. Might be wrong.

:happy: I saw what you did there... went right over some heads.. ;)

:happy: I saw what you did there... went right over some heads.. ;)

I think we might be a little older than some here. That and I'm not nearly as clever as I think I am.

I think we might be a little older than some here. That and I'm not nearly as clever as I think I am.

A classic that I too can easily remember even tho its wildly OT:

Certs_Mints_Commercial_Two_Mints_In_One_

• Upvote 1

Sweet! We are going to have that lovely Mig-3, after all. It will be neat to joy ride and sight see Moscow with the I-16, too!  :)

:salute: MJ

Edited by =69.GIAP=MIKHA

As far as I understood Moscow will not be on the map. So not sightseeing there.

Why wouldn't Moscow feature in a game called "Battle of Moscow"?

I hope it gets included. I'll gladly defend it with my trusty MiG-3 and P-40.

MC 202 !!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Oh men can't wait really can't wait

Ehrm this time don't forget to AVOID UNLOCKS !!!

Can't wait

Edited by [SGI]Simon1279

I also hope that Moscow will be part of the upcoming BoM map.

But I'm not confident about this.

Paris wasn't part of the west front map and london wasn't part of the channel map in RoF.

But since there were air raids against Moscow, it would make a lot of sense to have the city on the map, even if the ground war stopped at the outskirts .

But I could perfectly understand if the development of such a big city with it's many unique buildings is to expensive.

But then the name would be not a good choise due to it's misleading nature.

Well, let's wait and see. We will know soon enough. :)

Well, I'm hoping for a compromise. Moscow with full historical city area is certainly a potential problem for FPS. A smaller extent with the Kremlin and the red square in the center would I think satisfy most of the players.

I agree. Just like TrackIR, there's no going back.

Fully agree with both.

But in my case, once you try Oculus DK2 with other games/demos I can not use anymore TrackIR with BOS/ROF. It is just quite weird!. 

So do I have to pay another $60 to buy this too or will it be an addon for Battle of Stalingrad?

uh duh, new theater new planes set, yes another $100.00

• Upvote 1

Well there will be other seasons on the Moscow map, not exclusively winter which we're tired of even more than players.

Gezzus, bout time!  Was wonderin when I was gonna be able to wear my camo shorts.  In all honesty, this game/sim is (1 of) the best around but really, really, enough already of the white stuff.  The last time I flew this game 6 months ago I found myself loose depth-of field & contrast in vision to the point where I actually got dizzy - time to drop the gear & gitter down on terra firma.

I know how beautiful European geography can be and the areas we fly is - even in summer.  Can't wait till Spring arrives!