S!

It would be nice if someone with an SLI setup could do a fast test. I have the impression that I get about 5-10 FPS more (constant, not peaks) if I turn SLI of and just use one GTX 780. Tested this on Balanced settings (so that the GPU is not working at the limit) on the LD and Syndicate server.

So is anyone else getting better FPS if he turns SLI off? Im still struggling to get constant 60 FPS on Syndicate server, when it is full and I fly at 500m.

Zettman

Tried turning SLI off and can't say this is true on my end. Maybe it's holds true for three cards but I only have two.

I have a four monitor 1920x1080 setup running 2 780 gtx ti (SLI)on ultra settings and I get between 40-60 fps with dips in the 30 flying very low with explosions.  you should be killing this game with that card 1920x1080?  I will say make sure you set your profile in NVIDIA inspector if you have not.  I also make sure both cards are running using MSI afterburner and my G13 display so its easy for me to tell.  Let me know if you need my NVIDIA inspector settings.

Edited by PimpSauceMadVed18

I have a four monitor 1920x1080 setup running 2 780 gtx ti (SLI)on ultra settings and I get between 40-60 fps with dips in the 30 flying very low with explosions.  you should be killing this game with that card 1920x1080?  I will say make sure you set your profile in NVIDIA inspector if you have not.  I also make sure both cards are running using MSI afterburner and my G13 display so its easy for me to tell.  Let me know if you need my NVIDIA inspector settings.

S!

Well I won't get more FPS cause the game is CPU bottlenecked, I will get the same results with two or all three GTX780. But that was not the point, I already know that I wont get more FPS without a faster CPU. It is not a problem with the Nvidia Control panel. All three GPUs are running at about 30-40%  during gameplay, so SLI is working. My point was just that I felt like we got "negative SLI" again, like we had in the early stage.

Zettman

My point was your hardware is fine and my 2 cards and "weaker" CPU are getting same frames as you and im running 5920x2180 so it seems you may have a messed up nv control panel or inspector setting.  SLI can work but if the nvidia inspector profile is out of wack it may explain the prob you are having.

My point was your hardware is fine and my 2 cards and "weaker" CPU are getting same frames as you and im running 5920x2180 so it seems you may have a messed up nv control panel or inspector setting.  SLI can work but if the nvidia inspector profile is out of wack it may explain the prob you are having.

S!

Well It can not hurt to try. So if you could post your settings I can try for my self. Would really appreciate any help, even if I'm not sure if it will help.

Zettman

Will post as soon as I am home tomorrow...but I will say the "magic" setting for me was to make sure under sli settings is too make sure you choose single as your render method...for example it will say afr, afr2, single ect. Choose the single option. Make sure the number of cards is also correct. For you of course that option should be "three" since you have tri SLI. Sorry if you know all this already but I hope you f out nd some of this helpful. I will check back as soon as I arrive home.

2 x 780 Ti, SLI is about 40% faster than single card. No issues here.

S!

On which altitudes and how did you test it.

Of course mine are faster in other games tow, but in BoS you are limited by CPU on the ground (only 50-60 FPS). So I don't get more FPS with SLI there. On higher altitudes (less stuff for CPU to do) I notice the difference between one are all three cards.

Also what is your GPU usage during gameplay?

Zettman

S!

Thanks for the settings. I have only used Nvidia Control Panel so far, where is the difference two Nvidia instructor? Just more options or anything else?

Zettman

Hello Zetterman,

I believe the Inspector tool is geared to us with SLI setups.  I would say to change all of the SLI settings to what I have with one exception.  The three settings asking for number of GPUs for you I would make this THREE since you of course have 3 cards.  Also go to the search bar up top and you will find a IL2 BOS profile.  This is the one you want to change and do not forget to APPLY the settings at the top right of the window.

Hopefully you already got this going good.

Hello Zetterman,

I believe the Inspector tool is geared to us with SLI setups.  I would say to change all of the SLI settings to what I have with one exception.  The three settings asking for number of GPUs for you I would make this THREE since you of course have 3 cards.  Also go to the search bar up top and you will find a IL2 BOS profile.  This is the one you want to change and do not forget to APPLY the settings at the top right of the window.

Hopefully you already got this going good.

I wanted to know what advantages Nvidia Inspector holds over Nvidia CP. Also I didn't gain any FPS by applying these settings. Still stuck to 50-60 FPS on the ground. Well I didn't expect a Nvidia Software to do anything against what looks like a CPU bottleneck to me...  Still thanks for the settings.

Zettman

The Inspector lets you have access to SLI settings and seems to have more options than the standard CP settings. Maybe soneone with some knowledge will chime in with a better explanation. If you are not overclocking a slight 10 to 15% boost on the CPU might get you back to the 60.

Inspector allows access to items not found in the control panel. Also, if memory serves me right, and based on ROF info, that once you make changes via inspector you have to start the game from a direct link to the il-2.exe, if you start via launcher.exe the settings don't get applied. Would imagine the same would apply to BOS. I'm sure someone will chime in with more info. I currently do not use inspector so I have no first hand experience, but that is the way it worked in ROF. FWIW I think it goes like this, if you start via the il-2.exe Nvidia sees it and applies the settings, via the launcher, it starts and then starts il-2.exe when you press play, and it is not seen by Nvidia.

S!

Gave it second try and made sure to start it from the .exe and not the launcher, just in case. No changes. It even feels that it got worse with the last patch. I'm down to 40-50 FPS on the ground now (MP server). GPU usage is at about 30% each.

This is really frustrating, is there any hope that the game will get better CPU optimization? I don't exspect to run 3 GPUs without CPU bottleneck, but getting solid 60 FPS all the time (ground, smoke) would be nice. Custom graphic options would help to turn down CPU heavy stuff and still be able to get most out off the GPU by setting GPU heavy stuff to max.

Zettman

Zettman, you have an Uber machine that I was contemplating building for this sim, so if you can't get steady 60, then there is really no point in wasting the time. I am in the same boat in MP. 5 or more planes close by in MP will bring my machine to a "grinding teeth" experience. Unfortunately DX9, by definition will always use one core as far as I know. You could try using GSync monitor but GSync doesn't work below 30 frames per second.

Edited by roaming_gnome

S!

Got 60-70 FPS on an empty MP server on the ground with balanced settings. So more planes, even if they are not in my view range reduce FPS a lot.

Zettman

S!

A test I did in another section, which shows the problem I have when enabling and disabling SLI.

S!

Ok here are the test I made.

First round, climbing from 6000m to 7000m and going down from there at about 400km/h until ground level. All tests done in Quick Missions.

First screen with 3-way SLI (all 3 GPU show the same usage)

1vUrias.png

Second screen with SLI turned off (only one GPU has usage bigger 0%)

ImJCtvC.png

The pictures show that what I was exspecting. GPU usage is high at the beginning and goes down a bit at groundlevel. Also what ever thread is running on CPU3, seems to be the rendering thread, cause it has the highest overall usage and goes up when I go closer to the ground.

Honestly I was exspecting something similar with your system, but your screens don't show it. So I have no idea what it could be.

Another thing I noticed is, that while using only one GPU, I got better overall FPS. About 80 FPS with one GPU at groundlevel vs 60 FPS with 3-way SLI. Will post this somewhere as a bugreport, cause it seems to me we got negative GPU scaling all over again.

I did a second test where I dived at a higher speed and directly from 6000m down to groundlevel.

First screen with 3-way SLI

16D4pdE.png

Second screen without SLI

3PdzZgT.png

They both show the same results. The GPU usage going down at lower altitudes is a bit easier to see in them. Still getting higher FPS with only one GPU. So it seems that negative GPU scaling is really there.

EDIT: Just noticed we are already in the bug report section, should I still write a PM to a developer about this issue?

Zettman

S!

A test I did in another section, which shows the problem I have when enabling and disabling SLI.

If you do PM a dev, mention there are several forum members interested in the issue. (Me being one...).