Sign in to follow this  
BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 34

Hi everybody!

Today’s dev blog update doesn’t have much to read, but there is definitely something for you to watch!

First of all, I’d like to note that the biggest game industry event annually held in Russia starts next week. Igromir-2013 gives us a good chance to present IL2:BOS to the Russian press. This is another important milestone for the project, and of course you’ll see fresh media assets published when it’s over.

Meanwhile we have tallied up the poll that allowed all pre-order owners to choose themselves a special skin to be added to the game. More than two hundred candidates applied. We then offered you a short-list of 5 specially selected skins, and you – the Founders – voted and selected the winner.

So here is a video showing how this exclusive LaGG-3 skin was created just for YOU!

Furthermore, the skin has already been added to the game! These recently made screenshots offer proof of my words, and also confirm our previously stated principle – to give Founders the power to actually influence the development process.

prem_skin1.jpg   prem_skin2.jpg   prem_skin3.jpg

And I offer you the traditional record of the live stream that was broadcast on September 25th. Of course, it now has all necessary English subtitles. Please enjoy watching it!

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

• Upvote 4

That was cool to see the skinning process.  Thanks

Looking really good!

My one suggestion is that the taillights on the back of the tanks and cars should also reflect red on the ground a little bit, not as much as the headlights though. Just a slight touch that would look even more cool!

Edited by [AKA]Kraut
  • Upvote 3

First of all, thank you for the very lovely skin. It is not only a very nice gesture, I will get a lot of use out of that skin, while practicing my take offs, landings, and BFM, certainly until my squad has our LaGG-3 skins ready for use and included in the game. Second of all, what a fantastic new template! The template is the best I have seen, yet! I will have no trouble creating skins using the new template. Thank you for the fantastic skin template design!  :salute: MJ

Edited by =69.GIAP=MIKHA

Ahh, just as i was thinking the skintemplate looks very good. Now all we need is the templates and a skinviewer and the forumlandscape could become MUCH more colorful. So please DEVS. Give us skinners our tools.

Winger

• Upvote 1

The video looks so splendid and it makes me wonder...I'm curious how spotting of a/c and ground units at night is modelled in BOS. Will the enemy gunners/fughters see me and be able to e.g. turn fight in the darkest night? Same goes for poor weather. Any info on that?

Skin making-of video was very cool. What we've seen is the actual editing situation?

I mean: when we open a skin or create it from scratch in photoshop, the working table will look that tidy and easy to manage? would be great. another great, great gift would be a skin template with levels for each plane, so users can start playing around as soon as possible. I guess you devs already have your levelled templates so maybe that would only take 2 minutes to recycle part of your kit at our benefit.

And I love that russian yelling in danger situations: ooooy-oy-oy-oy-oy!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

This might be a silly question, but what is the English translation of what is written on the side of the aircraft?  I think it says "TOBAPNW", but what does it mean?

This might be a silly question, but what is the English translation of what is written on the side of the aircraft?  I think it says "TOBAPNW", but what does it mean?

Comrade

S!

Thanks for the video, was a nice one :) Looks like skinning a plane is simpler than in original IL-2 where skinners had to hunt the bits and pieces to get it right. Truly progress there, great job :)

Have a nice weekend all!

Great to see the skinning process. Hopefully that template will be available to the rank and file, like me, who maybe aren't as computer literate as others and may not have as much free time to learn. That video makes it look like even I could design some skins with that excellent template.

This is another example of why this will clearly be the best flight sim ever made.

• Upvote 1

Everything looking good. What a cool update. I love flying at night so I'm really excited about this. The cockpit lighting and nav lights look great.

I thought the star brightness was okay. I was up north recently with no light pollution and was amazed how bright the stars were. Maybe on a moonless night keep them bright but with a moon a little dimmer like they are going to do.

I know they said they are too bright but the flares could use some work. Maybe make them flicker and flash more when their light is reflected on the ground? Make the light dance a little bit, that will make it look awesome. I'm sure they will do this it's still WIP.

The search lights were pretty cool too. When the plane was spotted it was badass. You could makeout the plane, night fighting will be actually fun! When AA is added I'm sure this will look super cool. Did the spotlights look a little too skinny to anyone? I always thought they were a little wider.

Great job! So pumped to fly this thing.

I would love to get my hands on that skin template.

Great stuff! thanks.

I can't resist the seduction either :) not much longer, anyway. 

The skin itself looks very nice but...this skin is NOT the one users have ACTUALLY choosen.

I (and certainly many other founders) have voted for this skin because the original tag "From dev to founders" (or something like that) sounded quite nicely and reminded historical tags on planes that had been ofered to the VVS by workers or paysants.

Changing for a basic "Tovarich" is a TRUE desapointment because it spoils the skins of its orginal purpose.

I really feel cheated and I really hope the the skin will recover its orginal tag.

Thanks in advance.

I also think that a more weathered skin shall be appreciated.

Edited by UF_Zargos
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for the update, very good video about the effects the night and how to create the skins of the aircraft.
Greetings and waiting for the release of the simulator. :pilot: 

I also think that a more weathered skin shall be appreciated.

No thanks, I like the brand new scheme.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update. Thanks in particular to showing some of the effects from further out. Looking forward to seeing them in the final build.

Bug report: There's a bug with the higher LOD landing lights on the LaGG though, if I saw it correctly, both the one from the upper and the lower wing are visible from far away, where only one should be visible. But I guess you saw that as well and it is already fixed by now.

Personally I don't like to have the objects run around alight at night, for exactly the reason you mentioned - they are visible for everyone from far out. Not just aircraft, but also ground forces. It's like a huge "shoot me" sign. I suppose it would be better to have lights off by default, and allow them to be turned on in the mission builder manually.

Thanks again, looking forward to the next update.

Thanks for the update :good:

For the skin's Lagg-3, I find that the skin does not look like the original image.

post-7693-0-63871700-1379675200.jpg
No signature To Founders from Devs is visible on the screens:

post-7693-0-39506400-1380288353.jpg

Is this the final product?

Regards

On the Russian board, the "Founders" are called "Comrades", that's why it's been put on the skin.

Edited by JtD
  • Upvote 1