BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 87 - Discussion

Woot! It helps to be stubborn!.. glad I didn't manage to sell my HOTAS+pedals in one day! But still be busy with other stuff for 6+months

No complaints here..... only praise for the team.

I see growth, expansion and determination to produce an ever-growing game that can maybe one day become really substantial. I was worried it would be dropped like CoD was with many, many problems but Battle of Stalingrad is already functioning well - it rarely gives me any problems. BoS has met my expectations and exceeded them and looks set to continue to expand into a really solid sim/game. Well done Zak and co. and many thanks for a great product so far.

Common sense at last re the unlocks, but better late than never. Also great news wrt to Zeus and maps.

Zac, will common sense also prevail on the pilot level. That is what prevents me from playing the campaign. At level 10 it is just too bloody frustrating only being able to finish a fraction of the missions without getting shot down, too unrealistic and gamey.

This is where I am as well. The unlocks button only addresses the needs of those who wish to avoid SP altogether, which is fine for them, but does nothing for me.

Looking at the announcements I ask is there anything here that would make me want to fire up the SP Campaign in the near future. The answer is no. Even with a new chapter, map and (perhaps) new planes coming at some point soon, the answer will still be no.

If we can get the "unlocks" issue out of the way, perhaps we can have a sensible discussion about what practical changes can be made to improve the quality of the SP campaign for those who actually want to play in this mode. At the moment I feel like someone who has been to a burger joint, bought a double burger, found it distasteful, complained, and the manager says "here have another patty and make it a triple burger".

Alternatively we could be told definitively that there will be no material changes to SP Campaign in the roadmap.

• Upvote 1

xzqy4qkw.png Soon

A small step for a dev, but a big for humanity :)

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

2AM RAMBLE

Summer and Autumn maps are a excellent addition,

full mission editor and dedicated server software which will become available to every player -great.

I still am not fond of the campaign design as I much prefer more of a pilot storyline

Following a pilot's career is crucial to many sim or RPG players ability to self identify with the "games" virtual persona.

Realistic features in the setting and backstory, customization of crew, craft and storyline,

even (heaven forbid) unlockables or rank achievements.

There's a question of balance and resources from the "producers" side.

Of course the new economies of micro payments, DLC and free to play have to be reconciled with the expectations of "simmers" buying a $100 game trying to break out of a niche market.

I'm willing to be patient hoping that popularizing this near sim will bring online more resources but my optimism is based on the unleashing of user created assets, map, missions etc.

I see Valve, Skyrims and X-Planes attempt to harness an open source style mod system.

Someone would find fault with that too. Maybe we could all just pool our money and buy them the extras so they'll all shut up. Too bad they decided to buy silver instead of gold. That's life. We all make choices. It doesn't always work out. I'm firmly convinced there is a group of people here who are bent on complaining just to complain. When that wears thin for them, they insult others for taking a positive outlook on today's ( or any other day's) announcement. It's all very tiresome.

Last thing im gonna say about this joke. Are you [Edited] kidding me? Take a look at post 112 and then a good look in the mirror before you spout [Edited] and the politically correct mantra.

Jesus, some of you are truly unbelievable.

But hey, it doesn't matter does it because you as a "community" got rid of yet another "problem" , good for you, you should be proud.

Please check your PMs.

Edited by Bearcat

Actually Baron, I'm inclined to agree with them. Having read your own contributions to the forum I've found you to be consistently unpleasant and I very much hope you do not stay.

Please refrain from making these kinds of statements. This forum is open to all who behave.

Edited by Bearcat
  • Upvote 5

Truly Wonderful  News !

This is a HUGE Developer update for me !

My faith in the future of the game is finally once again on the positive side.

Jason & 777, You have once again regained my finacial support !

THANK YOU !  for listening and making this change for people like me !

Sincerely Desode

Actually Baron, I'm inclined to agree with them. Having read your own contributions to the forum I've found you to be consistently unpleasant and I very much hope you do not stay.

What you think of me is irrelevant. What you write on the forum is and i have never attacked any one member on a personal level.

But seeing what you write to people on a regular basis i wouldn't expect you to understand the difference.

Now, i would appreciate if you keep your personal issues regarding me to yourself and not quoting me or responding to me, ever again. I feel that's the best course of action for both you and me.

Have a nice day and thx.

Edited by Baron

That's a personal attack...

Who are you to tell who should stay a who should leave?

How about us (all) discussing the game and not the forum members?

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Upvote 1

Great News on the unlocks and maps etc!

Thanks for the update Devs.

Hopefully this gives MP a good kick and we see more people on.

:drinks:

Edited by beepee

All - Cease and desist. Flag a post if it bothers you.

Don't use bad language, even if it's asterisked. If you can't express your comments civilly, don't express them.

• Upvote 1

That's a personal attack...

Who are you to tell who should stay a who should leave?

I'm not telling.  Merely expressing my view of the past and my hopes for the future.

No more unlocks? Now THAT is some good news at last.

Unlocks were never an issue for me either.

Damm and I just cleared the last one yesterday.......Oh well ....... :wacko: LOL

At least its a null point of argument now.....Yay! :biggrin:

Edited by voncrapenhauser

Don't use bad language, even if it's asterisked. If you can't express your comments civilly, don't express them.

:salute:

Cheers, 777.

Finally you see reason. Thank you :)

/edit

Ugh, sucks that I'll still have to grind that boring as hell QMB "campaign" if I want to have anything but the default skins, but baby steps, eh?

Edited by wellenbrecher

February 2nd, 1943 is when the Battle of Stalingrad was over after the surrounded 6th Army capitulated. In the memory of that date we want to share with you at least a part of the plans that our team is currently working at. Let’s start with what is already complete. On Monday, February 9th we’re going to deploy a small update to the official website. As a result, a new item will appear in the premium account profiles - “Activate modifications” button.

+1

Thanks for this very great update and news :salute:

Really excellent news. Looking forward to those new map versions and also a big gratz to Zeus!  :salute:

To Rjel and Feathered_IV.

Havent read the rest of the thread and so i dont know if you responded or not but here it goes.

Sry for waking as an A-hole this morning, luckily the day seems to turn out better than i thought, a 10 month old son tend to have that effect. Iv seen both of you around for as long as i can remember, going back to the UBI days, iirc. I want to apologize for the way i flew of in my previous post. 

Rjel.

Im sry if i inadvertently  made it look like i was targeting you, that certainly wasn't my intention. I just reacted to the sentence i highlighted because iv seen it here before and i got mad because its a gross generalization and simply not true as the post that pushed me over the edge clearly shows. One just doesn't write stuff like that for everyone to see. Again, i apologize for you taking the flack for it.

Feathered_IV.

Maby you dislike me, i can live with that. Maby i come of as unpleasant, but i only express myself the way im used to from where i come and it isn't meant to make people feel bad. All i can say is that its a ongoing project since i realized years ago that one can, by using even a single carefully selected word instead of what pops into ones head at the moment will get you closer to where you want to go more often than not. Maby it doesn't hurt to be reminded of that from time to time. 

To the Devs.

While i certainly don't agree on a number of choices uv made i at least try to understand why (not that im successful mind you  ;) ) you make them. Sadly iv come to the realization that what IL2 evolved into, turned out not to be for me. I do hope, for those that do like BoS, that the choices you made and make, will turn out to be the correct ones.

Anyways, ill let all of you get back on topic and wish you all good luck.

• Upvote 2

It's all good news as far as I am concerned, especially the FMB and new maps, thanks DEVS.

how can a 4 month delay be good news i ask you?

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to the new maps. Especially Autumn for some reason... I think that will be exciting. I'm hoping that future development will also include some aircraft types that fit well into the Summer and Fall scenarios. I'll be pretty happy with that and hopefully the mission editor lets us do some cool stuff without too much of a learning curve.

Good job guys.

It's a bit late considering all the bad rep that's been piling up over these past few months, but hopefully it's just the first of many good decisions.

how can a 4 month delay be good news i ask you?

There was no delay, everything is and was perfect, on plan and the best it ever was anywhere.

• Upvote 1

There was no delay, everything is and was perfect, on plan and the best it ever was anywhere.

A few days ago zak says fmb is targeted for march. Then with this update it is april/may. Think it will slip again?

A few days ago zak says fmb is targeted for march. Then with this update it is april/may. Think it will slip again?

I would say the odds would be good on that one.

I do hope however, this means they are really revamping that thing, to allow for true campaign building and a more user friendly gui.

If after all the delays it comes out and is nothing more than the ROF ME, going to be some disappointed folks I would think.

With the current campaign system as it is, it really needs a good FMB, especially if they are not going to do any more campaign work and are relying on user made content.

Full mission editer, Standalone, Maps, :):salute::good:  You little ripper, (aussie saying for very, very happy) This is fantastic news :good:

You guys are the best!

It's nice to see this product developing to right direction. And having those summer and autumn maps will make it possible to follow German advance towards Stalingrad and the bitter end in there all the way through. Hopefully we will get couple more planes also at some point. All in all, news here were very positive.

P.S. Having read this thread I think I will go back to not reading anything but posts from devs and checking custom skins. Life is so much better that way ;)

I was saying my own expectations, then I was given an official date. that's just it.

This would be great news, but unlocks only for premium members??? You are keeping the skins locked??? What is with you devs??? I am a premium owner, but if I was a non premium owner I would be pissed. If you carry forward with this plan you just devide the Community again and piss off a bunch of people. Just unlock for all game owners, unlock the skins and see your PR take a nice swing in a positive direction. This isn' t that complicated, just do the right thing and be over this nightmare product release. Do not force part of your customer base to buy more product to receive equal treatment to the premium owners. It is pretty easy to see, if you just open your eyes.

S!Blade

b769e5c99f9441e5bfd96687128eff71a75ba76a

She or he is not a real player she or he has no joystick.... :lol:

Edited by senseispcc
  • Upvote 1

This would be great news, but unlocks only for premium members??? You are keeping the skins locked??? What is with you devs??? I am a premium owner, but if I was a non premium owner I would be pissed. If you carry forward with this plan you just devide the Community again and piss off a bunch of people.

I tend to agree with this, while I am glad I as a premium owner will be able to do away with the unlocks, it would be fair to extend it to standard owners as well, and to include skins, to get rid of the unlocks altogether. Except for the cheap Russian version, where it is more understandable.

The difference in the price between standard and premium, was in number of airplanes, never had anything to do with unlocks.

The difference in the price between standard and premium, was in number of airplanes, never had anything to do with unlocks.

Not originally, but then the unlocks came along. So, that is the situation as it is now.

Personally, in this case,  I agree with the decision to allow the unlocks for premium players only.

Since in my interpretation, 'premium' is not the same as 'standard' and therefore when you pay a premium price you get a little bit extra for your support.

Edited by beepee
  • Upvote 1

Rjel.

Im sry if i inadvertently  made it look like i was targeting you, that certainly wasn't my intention. I just reacted to the sentence i highlighted because iv seen it here before and i got mad because its a gross generalization and simply not true as the post that pushed me over the edge clearly shows. One just doesn't write stuff like that for everyone to see. Again, i apologize for you taking the flack for it.

NP

She or he is not a real player she or he has no joystick.... :lol:

I noticed that, but I figured he/she was simply waiting for mouse control to arrive in BoS like it just did in RoF  :biggrin:

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 1

Guess he desperately bought both premium planes to get rid of unlocks and totally forgot about being too low on cash for a joystick afterwards. :P

This would be great news, but unlocks only for premium members??? You are keeping the skins locked??? What is with you devs??? I am a premium owner, but if I was a non premium owner I would be pissed. If you carry forward with this plan you just devide the Community again and piss off a bunch of people. Just unlock for all game owners, unlock the skins and see your PR take a nice swing in a positive direction. This isn' t that complicated, just do the right thing and be over this nightmare product release. Do not force part of your customer base to buy more product to receive equal treatment to the premium owners. It is pretty easy to see, if you just open your eyes.

S!Blade

It is a moot point for me since I just followed my own advice and just got the unlocks done but I think this move should have been done for all founders.. Premium or Standard.. All those who cared enough to buy in early. That not being the case I still think a good move would be to just have a sale for the next few days...  I see no problem with keeping the skins locked.

This shouldn't come as a surprise, really; flight sim devs, bless their souls, can't seem to even ballpark dates with any degree of accuracy.

Just kidding ... just kidding :lol:  :salute:

Chief

• Upvote 1