Sokol1

VKB Gladiator joystick project

Beware, in Russian forum is said that this project was shared with 3d party* that owns the rights to sell in Europe.

What they will offer is not the same Gladiator VKB - and not be named "Gladiator" - but as use the same molds the result may confuse potential Gladiator buyers.

Will be a "tuned down" version, with potentiometer in twist rudder, simplified firmware with only basic configuration options, no firmware update and maybe not possible connect T-Rudder in joy base.

Pay more but try get a genuine VKB Gladiator. ;)

* Guessing: Tm?  :russian_ru:

Edited by Sokol1

Thanks for bringing this. I now only aim for Galdiator Pro (and slowly collect money for MFG Crosswinds) so it would be terrible to get confused and buy something totally different. 

Also, why would they do that ? I mean why would this be shared with any 3rd party producing a low quality product ... 

Sounds not good. If the Gladiator Pro will be around the 200$ mark as gambled in the russian forum it will slightly overshoot my budget so I kind off have to hope the Gladiator Export version wont be too bad.

As long as it's only the twist sensor that's replaced by cheap potis I'm fine. Don't knwo about the other shortcomings but if it helps reducing the price (which I doubt to be lower than the US version) it's acceptable.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Well, the whole idea of Gladiators was to be a compromise between price and quality - so MARS sensors in small budget stick. Higher price defeats that point completely. I mean, for less than 300 $  you can buy Warthog (I've seen on a discounts Warthogs for less than 250-240 $ sometimes), so I'd see no reason to buy Gladiator Pro for 200 $. My hopes were for a stick in 150 $ range. 

The Gladiator is a compromise between price and quality.

The Gladiator Pro is aiming much higher on the quality side of things with the use of the all-metal cam gimbal setup found in the MUCH more expensive Black Mamba Mk.III and Gunfighter. Which is also vastly superior to the Warthog.

Gladiator Pro for $200 is still an easy choice over any other offering on the market.

Edited by Cyph3r

Based on the former advertisement Gladiator Pro wasnt supposed to be that much higher than standard version. A metal gimbal might be expensive, but at the same time one skips the sensors and whole twist mechanism. 

I simply expected something over standard Gladiator with metal gimbal but not twice as expensive. Especially with additional EU taxation it will make little difference to other competition around. 

Sidenote : Is Gladiator Pro going to have an option for a stick extension or that is not intended ?

Beware, in Russian forum is said that this project was shared with 3d party* that owns the rights to sell in Europe.

What they will offer is not the same Gladiator VKB - and not be named "Gladiator" - but as use the same molds the result may confuse potential Gladiator buyers.

Will be a "tuned down" version, with potentiometer in twist rudder, simplified firmware with only basic configuration options, no firmware update and maybe not possible connect T-Rudder in joy base.

:russian_ru:

Look at "Joystick V6" in this Asian Games folder:

2016_computex_Trailer.jpg

The "Ching Ling" version of Gladiator for Europe, Asian and Latin American markets...   :(

Edited by Sokol1

The "Ching Ling" version of Gladiator for Europe, Asian and Latin American markets...   :(

If we get lucky it is modular.......

My hopes were for a stick in 150 $ range. 

Oh, please, not another toy that's full of compromises. If you want that, buy a Saitek.

Oh, please, not another toy that's full of compromises. If you want that, buy a Saitek.

Silly comments are silly. 

If you want stick without compromises take a shot at Fat Black Mamba or wait for Gunfighter Mk I.

Current way of things looks like this: Gladiator V6 for EU/Asia (<99 $)  -> Gladiator (99 $)  -> Gladiator Pro (250 $) -> Gunfighter MK I (300+ $ ??)

There is no middle ground between Gladiator and Gladiator Pro, since based on initial news Pro model was expected to be that better model but not a direct competitor to Thrustmaster Warthog and other top sticks. And what is worse for me (and presumably many other guys from EU) there wont be standard Gladiator for Europe region, but a cheaper subvariant manufactured by other company with different internals. So its either stick similar in quality to Cobra M5 or a model in range of Warthog price. 

Knowing the EU marketing policy the EU variant even if feautering inferiour electronics will likely be sold for the same price or higher. Unfortunately Stratojet des not ship outside the US/Canada and shipment from Russia is going to increase the cost for the Gladiator a fair bit, too, so there's likely no way around it.

Have to say I find this very disappointing after awaiting this stick for nearly a year now. Let's hope the damage done isn't too bad and that the costs will be appropirate to the lowered quality.

Edit: For the price of the Pro you could get a Warthog Flight stick with extension. As much as I anticipate the gladiators design and think a more sufisticated version is great it's price is targeting the wrong (high quality gear) audience which needs are already met with the TM Warthog, Black Mamba and later this year Gunfighter.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Current way of things looks like this: Gladiator V6 for EU/Asia (<99 $)  -> Gladiator (99 $)  -> Gladiator Pro (250 $) -> Gunfighter MK I (300+ $ ??)

There is no middle ground between Gladiator and Gladiator Pro,...

This "Ching Ling" V6 for EU/Asia/AL will cost less, I guess in 60$ range. Is the price for Defender Cobra M5 (now available in Amazon.UK), is high probable that V6 share the same (cheap) electronics and sensor of the version of M5 made be Asian Games.

In between Gladiator and Gladiator PRO price will fit the Gladiator PLUS - the console/monoblock "HOTAS" that was postponed for redesign, in Russia forum is say that are doubts if the market want this version... Anyway their production depends on Gladiator market success.

Unfortunately Stratojet des not ship outside the US/Canada and shipment from Russia is going to increase the cost for the Gladiator a fair bit, too, so there's likely no way around it.

VKB don't have warehouse or shop in Russia - the local economy/government taxes/market rules don't make this viable.

If you buy from VKB (Russia) is send from China, not sure but  shipping cost around 30/40$ (for T-Rudder pedal). Anyway this will make a Gladiator (basic) cost ~120$... Add to this that payment need be through bank transfer, that tends cost expensive. No PayPal/CC option.  :mellow: 

After all "hype", no good news...

Edited by Sokol1

Gladiator cannot be sold in Europe, but Gladiator Pro can. Reason VKB Gladiator not sold in Europe not VKB's fault. Such situations will never happen again.

We had no problem selling out our Mambas with our new gimbal. Many people do not like the Warthog internals. This is why many Warthog users buy our sticks and place Warthog grip on our base. When we start announcing our new grips and more customers use our gimbals the market will change.

But we will still have a range of products from low price to high price with features and quality no one else has.

:salute:

Jason

So what is the reason that Europe customers can't buy the Gladiator?

I'm totally puzzled. Where can I find a link to the sticks that can already be ordered in Germany?

I'm totally puzzled. Where can I find a link to the sticks that can already be ordered in Germany?

Same here. FSC's website still doesn't list them.

https://flightsimcontrols.com/store/joysticks/

Do I need to go through guys from the US or Canada to get my hands on the Pro-version?  :(

S.

The Ru/US versions are advertised to be availavel for June and Jason already confirmed that the European market version will be availabel a fair bit later than that.

So what is the reason that Europe customers can't buy the Gladiator?

Simple: to help finance Gladiator production VKB need made a partnership with the manufacturer Asian-Games (TW) - see their folder above - this reserve the rights for sold for their version of Gladiator (the basic model) in Asia, Europe and Latin America markets. Money dictate the rules. 

Their "gladiator" (dont will use this name*) that they will sold in these markets is one that fit in their profit margins, maybe not necessarily the best compromise price/quality follow by VKB...

Generally this class of joystick are made OEM and the local distributor sold under their brand.

Examples: This joystick - that show some "inspiration" in Logitech and Saitek molds - was solder under several names through the last 10 years in "periphery" markets.

joystick-manche-trust-gxt555-vibration-p

EDIT - * Probable Cobra Joystick V6:

The 32 bit ARM controller show in the promotional video is good thing, indicates that at least dont will use obsolete ATMEGA8  like in Defender Cobra M5 V3.

Rest know if this Cobra V6 will use a simplified version of VKB Njoy32 and digital MaRS sensors or like in M5 V3 will use the more cheap and analog contactless sensor possible...

Simplifications/restrictions in firmware settings mean less post sales support for vendors...

BTW - Their promotional video result better than the official.  ;)  :biggrin:

Edited by Sokol1

Same here. FSC's website still doesn't list them.

https://flightsimcontrols.com/store/joysticks/

Do I need to go through guys from the US or Canada to get my hands on the Pro-version?  :(

S.

FSC will eventually list the Glad Pros. if they don't for some reason we'll make sure you can get one. VKB is expanding and will be building a much larger international presence.

Jason

• Upvote 1

I just pre-ordered mine ...it was easy but perhaps that's because I'm in the U.S.? :mellow:

I just pre-ordered mine ...it was easy but perhaps that's because I'm in the U.S.? :mellow:

Yup. Stratojet only serves US and Canadian customers. Us Euro-types have to go through a different vendor.

FSC will eventually list the Glad Pros. if they don't for some reason we'll make sure you can get one. VKB is expanding and will be building a much larger international presence.

Thanks Jason!

Although I have to say that I had forgotten about the Gunfighter. I *think* I might wait until you guys announce the exact pricing/release-date on that thing before I make my decision. Metal-baseplate looks much nicer than the G940-looking base of the Gladiator.. :D

S.

Although I have to say that I had forgotten about the Gunfighter. I *think* I might wait until you guys announce the exact pricing/release-date on that thing before I make my decision. Metal-baseplate looks much nicer than the G940-looking base of the Gladiator.. :D

Well, Gunfighter might be easily over 300 $ judging the way Pro model is charged. I'm going to give a try to the Pro, the type of base they use for Gladiator must be solid enough since they came with an idea to put into it metal gimbal. And its claimed that you still can put extension there. So if its possible it must have been tested by them and deemed safe. 

Does anybody know what company will release the Euro version of the Gladiator (or however it will be called for Europe) and when approximately it'll be released?

You see, my old joystick went to the bones and it would be stupid to buy another one now as I'm waiting to buy the Gladiator. In the mean while I haven't flown for months. 

:salute:

Well, the things for "peripheral" markets don't looks too bad, I asked for UIV (VKB) if "Cobra V6" will use MaRS in X-Y axis (for twist rudder and throttle is know that will use potentiometer).

The answer indicates that will use.

So this "Cobra V6" don't will be a Cobra M5 (V3), a reasonable descent stick transformed by distributor in generic product in their quest for profit and now practically dead in their target market (Russia/CIS).

Q - This Cobra V6 for Europe, Latin American ... markets will use the same MaRS sensors of Gladiator in X, Y axis or a dumb down version?

A- Difference:
1) Cobra V6 use potentiometer for twist (rudder). Gladiator - MaRS. *

2) Firmware for Cobra V6 is simple (only calibration, deadzones and precision functions).

* In both the throttle axis use potentiometer.

So even this "Cobra V6" version can be a good "entry level" joystick, better that any on the market  - for the rudder axis DIY users can make

a HALL sensor conversion, like people do in Cobra M5 when the pot "goes south".  ;)

For most users this firmware restrictions* is not issue, they just set buttons in game GUI and go play.

The options available (only calibration, deadzones and precision functions) is similar to options in T-Rudder T.Link software.

The NJoy32 PRO firmware in Gladiator/ Mambas is very powerful, allow programming similar to TARGET - with the benefit that don't require software running in background (TARGET, CH Manager, SST...), profiles are saved in controller memory - but is more complicated than BoS ME.  :lol:

* This mean less post sales support for the brand - VKB small staff is plagued with dumb questions about Cobra M5 settings, despite this is not its official product.

Edited by Sokol1

I might sell my 737 yoke and find a high end joystick, right now it can be this Spitsims , Baurs or the Gunfighter . The reason for this is I will fly helicopters and DCS together with BOS.

My question is based on a desire for authentic feel.

Will Gunfighter have metal grip ? 

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18545-vkb-and-stratojet-release-plans-q4-2015-2016/?p=291579

The Gunfighter includes a new, compact and sturdy base that houses our advanced metal gimbal system. The base can be placed on the desktop or easily integrated into a custom home cockpit. 

The default grip of the Gunfighter will be that of the Gladiator shape. The grip will be removable and can be replaced with another style of grip such as the Warthog™ or Cougar™ grip by Thrustmaster™ or future styles offered by VKB. 

old news sokol1 jajajjajajaajj

review.....

VKB Sim Gladiator Pro Joystick: The Good, the Bad, and the Customizable

http://nerdtechy.com/vkb-sim-gladiator-pro-joystick-review

but the Saitek x56 have no bad on the review title......

the site  disclaimer explain why....

This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers’ own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

The owner(s) of this blog would like to disclose the following existing relationships. These are companies, organizations or individuals that may have a significant impact on the content of this blog. We are employed by or consult with: Amazon.com and Google.

Edited by RFCdhrf

old news sokol1 jajajjajajaajj

review.....

VKB Sim Gladiator Pro Joystick: The Good, the Bad, and the Customizable

http://nerdtechy.com/vkb-sim-gladiator-pro-joystick-review

but the Saitek x56 have no bad on the review title......

the site disclaimer explain why....

This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers’ own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

The owner(s) of this blog would like to disclose the following existing relationships. These are companies, organizations or individuals that may have a significant impact on the content of this blog. We are employed by or consult with: Amazon.com and Google.

This is not a review. It is an Amazon affiliate who is just writing out of his ass to generate clicks. Absolutely no one has an actual Glad Pro unit anywhere outside of VKB.

Jason

• Upvote 1

This is not a review. It is an Amazon affiliate who is just writing out of his ass to generate clicks. Absolutely no one has an actual Glad Pro unit anywhere outside of VKB.

Jason

I know, the idea of sharing that Thing in the forums was to show it was fake, UIV was informed, also sokol1 and the old news is because already was exposed.

RGDS Jason

Got it!

glad_zpsxeoiln5l.jpg

Up & operating & trying to go thru all the various key settings- instructions are minimal but with a little experimenting seem to work.Support & software site is alas all in Russian,but am getting help thru their Forum.

I will do a review in a separate post , but the quick word is it is quite a good deal for $99.00 US.It works far better in BoS & BoM than my MS FFB stick..FAR BETTER! It has many programmable buttons( you had better have a good memory for what you have programmed them for!) ,3 of which can be multiple programmed.If I have a gripe & it is a small one ,its buttons on the rear base are ergonomically a bit awkward.

It is definately a good choice for BoS and will do when some sort of VR can be dependably loaded.

Got it!

glad_zpsxeoiln5l.jpg

Up & operating & trying to go thru all the various key settings- instructions are minimal but with a little experimenting seem to work.Support & software site is alas all in Russian,but am getting help thru their Forum.

I will do a review in a separate post , but the quick word is it is quite a good deal for $99.00 US.It works far better in BoS & BoM than my MS FFB stick..FAR BETTER! It has many programmable buttons( you had better have a good memory for what you have programmed them for!) ,3 of which can be multiple programmed.If I have a gripe & it is a small one ,its buttons on the rear base are ergonomically a bit awkward.

It is definately a good choice for BoS and will do when some sort of VR can be dependably loaded.

Got it!

glad_zpsxeoiln5l.jpg

Hi Blitzen,

Nice stick. I have a msffb2 as well. Can explain why it is better? I'm thinking about getting this one or the pro.

Thnx

M