Sokol1

VKB Gladiator joystick project

Gladiator Light update:

post-979-0-91332500-1435734518.jpg

post-979-0-56792000-1435734533.jpg

post-979-0-59794200-1435734547.jpg

The input "Pedal" is for connect the VKB T-Rudder pedal (version without Tiny Box) or RDR MK18-MKXXI.

The input "SYS" can handle (VKB) additional button box.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

Can you use other rudder pedals that wouldn't plug into that unit?

Wow I may hold off on my warthog purchase.

Also, does this stick lend itself to stick extensions?

This is a budget stick, but it will be an amazing budget stick. The stick itself does not detach.

Jason

Russian built mars sensors and mechanics are superior to those found in premium stick (like warthog). BTW, Warthog is nice (shiny metal etc) but its "heart" is still made of plastic and mars is more precise. With that siad I think only stick which deserves premium tag is VKB Mamba.

Ok. I've been wondering why someone doesn't do this. It's not like the components are necessarily all that expensive. Just needs a good engineer and cheap mass production.

Doesn't sound like an ffb2 replacement (that would be an unreasonable expectation, given the competition), but I really, really like the input design and layout. Compact and functional with inputs for everything you need.

This hardware takes care of any non-clickable cockpit concerns. Really looking forward to seeing this progress. Would be neat if they can come up with some way to switch between left/right, not just for those who are dominant left, but also for dual-joystick games like starcitizen.

So true. But as much as we want to pretend we're virtual pilots, that's all it is. Please don't tell me I can train myself to fly right handed. Thanks but I'm not interested in that. I get to use tools, equipment and even simple household items like scissors right handed. This is a hobby to me, not something I wish to add further frustrations to everyday life. And honestly, if you or any of our other right handed brethren are so inclined, please fly left handed for a couple of weeks and come back and tell us all how enjoyable it was.

I do sometimes! It is indeed frustrating and I'm somewhat ambidextrous compared to some.

They seem pretty set on replication. Either I'm being stupid, or there's no easy way of making this design work for both. Maybe they will consider another version along the lines of the 'Saitek Cyborg 3D'. Looks weird but works surprisingly well. I guess then there's the problem of button and throttle placement, but detach could solve that.

Edited by e345spd

Actually, based on those last images, they could just put another button on the right in the same spot as the one on the left and call it done. Looks comfortable enough, bit of ergonomic tweaking for both in mind going on, maybe? Just flare out the hand rest on the left a bit more.

Since this design is symmetrical an neutral will be not difficult for the manufacture provide option for configure for left hand, just fit place for bolt the HAT block in right side, the (removable) hand rest with option for fit in both sides, and fit the throttle slider and the "eject" button in blocks for allow change sides. So the mold for injection - the costly party - remain one.

ambid.jpg

Probable people will make DIY mod's in this way.

VKB "button box" kit - dont find big image:

KITpanelMAXs.jpg

The controller (NJoy32) inside Gladiator has ability for handle additional buttons, axis, encoders.

Other possible options - dont know if available for buy:

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=878&sid=05262ee77d8d811f70b0784b38b771ad

Edited by Sokol1

Yes, those are good points. This looks like it would be pretty comfortable in left exactly as it is now in for me when using two sticks. I completely missed the detaching HAT block and handrest, nice and modular.

Everything I've seen from these guys looks really well engineered. The button box kit definitely included.

Sort of off topic: Did you modify an x45 into a button box?

Edited by e345spd

I can tell you guys from using both a VKB joystick and rudder pedals that this equipment is very high quality and well-worth the cost. I'm patiently waiting the day I can replace my CH Pro Throttle with a VKB model.  :gamer:  

It does look well engineered and solid indeed. My last concern with this stick is it's movement range compared to for example X52. It's hard to tell with the rubber covering the mechanics.

I looks amazing! Tho the plastic looks weak..or I might be wrong ? 

Also the rudder (XY axis) I feel like it might be a bit hard using if you have slippery hands. But would still give it a try :)

I looks amazing! Tho the plastic looks weak..or I might be wrong ? 

The plastic is very sturdy.

Consider too that this version is 'mockup' for evaluation, the final molds should have better finish.

The base plate is going to be full metal like the M5 Cobra from what I've read on the russian forum so I don't really think structual strengh is a big concern :)

Is there a shedule when we can buy it? It looks great.

The base plate is going to be full metal like the M5 Cobra from what I've read on the russian forum so I don't really think structual strengh is a big concern :)

I do also hope they add so that you can remove the throttle and move it to a diff location on your table x) 

Let's not let this thread die :)

Some small update on the Gladiator Pro version:

post-979-0-03959300-1437050604.jpg

Increased slightly body.

We have removed the two levers raznotyaga. The reason - hlipkovaty. And the ergonomics suffers from traznotyaga.

But the function will raznotyaga. This horizontal wheel encoder. Turn it "spreads" the balance between the engine, pressing the wheel (like a mouse) resets raznotyag.

Added buttons (it was noticed the lack of buttons while writing profiles)

Removed trim the encoder. There is no place.

At the end of the handle ore discovered hut. Shed likely to make positional 4, 8 positions will be uncomfortable.

Looks like the idea with the split throttle has been abandoned. It's also said in the russian forum that the "light Gladiator" will be on display at the Gamescom 2015 in Cologne.

Is there a shedule when we can buy it? It looks great.

This.

Can't wait for it, as BoS ist "sleeping" for the time being due to the lack of a decent hotas system. Saitek X-55 was a disappointment to me :salute:

I`m in when this stick is released. X-52 pro that I`m currently using is showing its age, not very precise movement anymore.

From Russian Forum (GT).

A budget joystick "WWII style".

And here I was coming to the tread hoping for a production Gloster Gladiator style spade grip joystick....

Any updates on when this will become available?

Promise to start production in September.

• Upvote 1

Google Translator

In September production.

To test Gladiators from the first small party will appear in Russia until the end of September. When the supply of - is the timing can not say. "Jumping" is not conducive to the ruble. Most likely, the first to buy Gladiators will be or from China or from Europe.

Link: http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/2579-gladiator-novyj-byudzhetnyj-dzhoj-ot-vkb/page-37?do=findComment&comment=326506

Update from VKB. Name of Gladiator versions has changed:

Gladiator - the compact model: http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_09_2015/post-979-0-54211700-1442238778.jpg

Gladiator Plus - with attached throttle, extra axes: http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_09_2015/post-979-0-58911200-1442238822.jpg

And latter will be version PRO of this two models.

Speculation: PRO version with contactless sensor in twist axis?

Gladiator Plus PRO with metal KG12 grip?

The pre-production model of Gladiator are now in test.

Gladiator Plus PRO with metal KG12 grip, the stick of my dreams...   :) 

The key for me is...... strong smooth gimbals

......smooth transition thru X/Y axis

.......adjustable spring tension

.......accurate sensors

I like the gimbal system in the high end stick, but wasn't able to get my hands on one.  What kind of gimbal system is in the plastic model?

I just hope the pre production models do well. This could be a nice early christmas present :)

Maybe they can do a WWII themed throttle and mixture/prop pitch controller as well some day, that would be awesome! (heared lots of negative stuff about the saitek ones and they're pretty expensive).

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

I have a Saitek AV8R-01 joystick - unable to align pitch - even when re-doing my PC setting. The stick is about 8 years old -Does this matter