Sign in to follow this  
Rjel

First person bailout...again?

I had this happen a couple of patches ago but I couldn't record it. Tonight I had it happen again. It's still a well done effect but I wonder what happens in the program occasionally so it happens. If I change to an F2 view, I couldn't go back to first person.

• Upvote 7

That is so much cooler! I wish that would become the default again. It's so much more shocking and disorienting initially, then, as you descend, it shows off the map nicely.

• Upvote 5

I remember when that was the norm/  I didn't realize it was still even in the game!  Wish we could bring it back as the bailout view!

Very nice effect and should be a selectable option in the game.

S~

Very nice effect and should be a selectable option in the game.

S~

+1

It's already there, so why not make available (at least as an option). It adds immersion to the game without costs because it's already developed.

Do want this, too.

Also, i wonder how many frozen pilot bodys are buried in the forests near stalingrad in BOS :biggrin:

Do want this, too.

Also, i wonder how many frozen pilot bodys are buried in the forests near stalingrad in BOS :biggrin:

Or under the ice on the rivers! After bailing over a river the pilot floated down and went through the ice to a chilly death.

This bail-out view is really nice! Should be the default.

Edited by Gramps

Absolutely should be the default!!

(And, as you are going to land 200m away from him maybe you can shoot him with your flare gun too!)

...or steer the parachute away from the rivers, trees, people you've just bombed, etc...

Edited by 312_Tygr

How much steerablity did an early (non-paratrooper) style parachute have? I doubt they had L cuts and risers for aircrew in 1942.

Very cool. And I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm riffing on your pain, but I couldn't stop chuckling at the fact that you managed to run into the same enemy airplane twice. Epic collision.

Yeah that wasn't very clever. I did think it was pretty cool when his wing peeled off he rolled right back into me. I haven't watched that track from an outside view yet. It must look pretty cool.

Definitely should have first person bailout. In fact, on a non expert server you should always be able to use all the views.

Considering one of this game's strong suits is immersion and 'little details', this feature is sorely needed (and very cool!). It's one of those things that would set BoS apart. 
I hope the devs consider implementing it again (shouldn't be too difficult... right?)

Going through the multiple archived posts/threads I've opened my yap in and ran across this gem. Totally forgot we had this back in the day. They should definitely bring this back.

Going through the multiple archived posts/threads I've opened my yap in and ran across this gem. Totally forgot we had this back in the day. They should definitely bring this back.

+1

This was one of those "wow" moments for me when this happened. When I made the video of this, it could be replicated by using the lock enemy view and colliding with an enemy plane. I'm not sure if it still works now or not.

Especially if I can whip out my 1911 and fire off the whole clip at the guy who just shot me down while shaking my fist.

• Upvote 1

I want this too!! bring it baack please!

I agree it is way better than the current implementation.

Why not put the request in the Qs for developers thread and get an answer from Han eventually - I doubt any of them will see it here.

• Upvote 1

I think it should be added. Look more immersive when bailing out in dogfight!

Guest deleted@30725

The third person bailout rips you out of the immersion. Should really be an option as I know some people won't like it, but if the animation is all in the game there is probably an easy way for the devs to make it selectable in a simple menu option.

Maybe while they're doing first person bailouts they can spend the resources/time modeling the pilot's body for use in the cockpit too since they'll have already done half the work... Oh wait...

I'd prefer more planes, theaters, maps, simulation modeling and improvements vs. gimmicks.  :mellow:

• Confused 1

If it's as simple as a config change then im all for it. The feeling of vertigo the first time i did it on the Mig 15bis with VR was amazing.

If it requires a lot of work, I'd prefer if they focus on other areas of the game that add more value to the overall experience.

To those who were there when first person bailouts were a thing, did it work with bombers and, if it did, did it work while you were in the gunner's seat for example?

I can see it being easy to implement for fighters since it's all about getting rid of the canopy and pushing your way out but in the He-111 for example the pilot has a bit of a way to go, no? The Ju-88, Pe-2 and A-20 pilots can go outside quickly though, gunners are a different story too.

If they do it, and I do think it's a good thing to work on when the time is available, it needs to account for the differences in certain planes. An Airacobra bailout for example is a much trickier thing than a 109 one.

It would be really funny in the Ju52 with paratroopers on board, looking absolutely perplexed at you, while you walk through them to the door, asking themselves "shouldn't he fly the plane?"

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

I forgot all about this. I'm not sure about the gunners seat, But I'm sure the bombers were the same, you were in the cockpit and next you were hanging in the chute just like a fighter. Its been a while and I have CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t) :P so I'm not real sure.

The thing is it is working already. (padlock a plane and bail out) Thats why it would probably not be to hard to make it an option. I wish for it but it doesnt ruin my fun not to have it.

On 1/25/2015 at 8:20 PM, Rjel said:

I had this happen a couple of patches ago but I couldn't record it. Tonight I had it happen again. It's still a well done effect but I wonder what happens in the program occasionally so it happens. If I change to an F2 view, I couldn't go back to first person.

Wish we had this as an option in VR. Have the devs discussed this? 

(Necro thread but didn't want to start a new thread about an old issue)

Edited by BlackMambaMowTin

I really liked noticing when I hit P47s the enemy clambers out and bails different than other planes.

I hate to throw DCS in anyones face but their bail out works pretty well... Just imo

I like that allot better than our current view!