Sign in to follow this  
Streiff

Oculus drops DX9 support

Shame, considering this game is DX9.

Isn't every flight sim out there DX9 ??

1946, Clod, FSX, ROF BOS are all DX9 or am i wrong?

Cliffs of Dover is backwards compatible with DX9, however also supports and utilizes dx10 and 11.

1946 is openGL but has a DX8 wrapper option.

What about DCS? Is it DX9 also? That would suck if Oculus stopped working with DCS! Because, it is pretty dang cool! We tried it out at work, and I decided I would wait to get the next Oculus with higher resolution, because that was the only thing I didn't like about it, everything else was hella cool

DCS will be DX11 once Edge is released soon enough. And they're working closely with OR. You should get a good OR experience with DCS. Though I'd imagine we'll all need beasts of PCs to run OR CV1 on any flight sim. 

DCS will be DX11 once Edge is released soon enough. And they're working closely with OR. You should get a good OR experience with DCS.

That is good news! Now, if the new EDGE graphics engine fixes the spotting/seeing of planes at a distance.. Than DCS will have fixed one of the two major issues with DCS that has kept it from being a viable combat flight sim.. and by combat I mean dog fighting.. The other (2nd) issue that needs to be address is the online warping.. There is no way you can simulate dog fighting with the amount of warping one sees in DCS online.. The two issues, viewing planes at a distance and warping were not a big issue for DCS when all it simulated was modern Beyond Visual Range (BVR) fighting, but now that DCS is moving into the WWII market they have to address the warping issue to be a valid combat flight sim.

Though I'd imagine we'll all need beasts of PCs to run OR CV1 on any flight sim.

Enhh the PCs we got at work are about a year old motherboard wise and have good but not top of the line NVIDIA cards and the OR worked fine.

Ohoooo. This is an issue. The sim that will support OR natively will be the only sim that remains on the market. A sim that doesnt support OR will die.

thats as sure as the amen in the church.

777 is not dumb. I believe they know how important OR support is and will most likely do everything necessary to have their sim modified so it will be able to stay competetive.

And upgrade to DX 11 cannot be THAT big of an issue - eh?

• Upvote 1

Bad news for a lot of game developers. There are a ton of games out there using DX9 that were intending to make use of OR.

Ohoooo. This is an issue. The sim that will support OR natively will be the only sim that remains on the market. A sim that doesnt support OR will die.

777 is not dumb. I believe they know how important OR support is and will most likely do everything necessary to have their sim modified so it will be able to stay competetive.

100% agree!

According to the fact data from polls, most of BOS simmers want OR support. (And I think that the one who don´t like it is simply becasue they have not tested it)

777/1C will need to decide what to do about OR and let the users know their future with BOS.

I only have installed in my home PC three games: BOS, ROF and Elite Dangerous.

I will hate to install DCS since this will take a good numbers of hours to learn it properly, but if OR will not be supported in BOS/ROF I will probably uninstall it and will go full for DCS.

Another option would be that 777/1C decide to create a new flight sim with native OR support from scratch, and where planes from BOS/ROF can be used and they incorporate other English/US planes like Spitfire or Mustang in another WWWII scenario. They could earn a lot of money!

so wait a min, you really think it wont be backwards compatible?

because all game use DX9 which is all the way updated to dx11.

so really dx11 is dx 9.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

There are lots of differences between DX9 and DX11. Oculus does plan to remove DX9 support from LibOVR for the Rift.

I suspect that there may be some wrap around ways of getting DX9 to work in extended mode post the removal of DX9 support, but that really misses the point. Such shenanigans will not take full advantage of the Rift and are likely to remain somewhat complicated to get going and as such are not really not part of the future of VR.

Well to be honest, we urged BOS team to make BOS with DX11 as DX9 was already old tech! ;) This is kind of expected...

• Upvote 1

well I still do not see any differences with any game that supposedly say they are DX10, or 11..unless I'm not playing any thing that supports it say train simulator. don't see any thing different in that game.

well I still do not see any differences with any game that supposedly say they are DX10, or 11..unless I'm not playing any thing that supports it say train simulator. don't see any thing different in that game.

And you won't when they aren't using it for advanced rendering options, shading options or things of the like... Then again, that's not all that they are used for...

Later versions of DX are more scalable, more open to optimization, utilize hardware better, etc.

Two things that we know here ... 1) BoS needs to be complete before they can pay attention to such as Oculus ... and 2) not everyone can afford $300 + dollars for such as this. On top of the fact that a computer has to be pretty up to date to run it.

I believe Jason has indicated that though it has been said that it has been binned or shelved for now, that they will make attempts in addressing Oculus in the future. After all, Jason likes it. It's just not time for it right now.

Chief

I doubt that OR will change the users predilection to play in one or other flight sim.

Not all people will purchase one OR, and isn't a priority to play at flight sims.

How much people will play at flight sim with OR? (make numbers, people with OR and people with a normal screen)

and How much people will play with his console with OR?...or Sony PS4 Morpheus...?

I think that our problem it's the competition from these enterprises to sell the first final product of RV, and I think that the real and potential clients are the users that play with console and the games that pass from console to PC, not us.

I love OR, but only I'm trying to be realist about our future and RV, maybe I'm wrong in this thinking, I hope, because I want one OR, but I think that will be a bad purchase considering this situacion (not DX9 for OR)

Evolution might push people to use a device or not, to play a sim or another. With the upcoming of dx12, vr, octingenticore processor… Who knows…

any game/sim that has 6DOF support for TrackIR has only a very small adjustment neccesary to fully support Oculus.   Oculus support isnt hardware-level support, its simply an exposed API for usage like TrackIR works.  When the hardware ships, you will find most sims instantly roll out support for it

which, personally, is why i prefer using my large 4k monitor and TrackIR then the Oculus my work gave me.  Oculus is fun for about ten minutes, but extended use shows its conceptual flaws pretty quickly.  maybe someday when its light and ubiquotious, but as is, its pretty heavy and impossible to say...sip your drink while flying.  and i dont know many flight-sim pilots that dont drink while flying  :P

• Upvote 1

VR is the future of gaming, but we don't know yet if the first consumer versions from Oculus, Sony, Nvidia, Valve, etc etc will be good enough.   Saying that the first consumer version won't be good enough because the prototypes aren't good enough is a flawed analysis.  Either way, eventually VR will be more than good enough, and make the gaming industry even bigger, with a large influx of new people who never had any interest in gaming doing so because of VR.   VR will make it much easier for most people to imagine they are at 3000ft in an aircraft, than a monitor, and TrackIR can ever hope to accomplish.   Track IR was the best thing that ever happened to flight sims, but its days are numbered as the go to immersion hardware for the genre.

• Upvote 1

Current VR requires very highend systems, and highly optimized gaming software.  I can see a VR optimized version of DX12 being the best solution when consumer versions of VR hit the market.  AMD appears to be backing off Mantle, by recommending developers to use DX12.   Of course that won't stop modders from making software that allow VR to work with older games.   VR will be working out the kinks for sometime, but even then I'm sure VR will be very interesting by the end of this year.