Sign in to follow this  
Crow

Allow users to edit posts

Seriously guys. What modern forum doesn't allow users to go back an edit their previous posts? This makes a few things impossible:

1) Collecting information in a single post. Most forums have stickied threads where industrious members have gathered information and collected it into a single post for others to benefit from. This is a huge help to new people and keeps information from having to be rehashed in multiple threads.

2) Updating informational posts. Squadron posts are the most immediate example. How is a squadron supposed to provide you with up to date information if they can't edit the root post to potentially remove old links/info? Other posts might be tutorials or links to a tutorial video series.

3) Removing flame posts. Sometimes users are genuinely sorry about something they said and would like to remove it or issue a retraction.

4) Removing misinformation. Users may want to edit an old post if they accidentally gave out misinformation about a subject.

And on and on the list could go. These are just a handful of the reasons. PLEASE, let us post like adults. If you need more moderators, sign me up. I'll glad help if that's what it takes.

• Upvote 5

i dont mined it :) 15 min delay is good for any grammar mistakes to be edited

i do mined deleting someones posts without even explaining to that poster why it was deleted :)

I like the locked post after 15 mins, plenty of time to edit and reflect on your post.... If you do something crass and regret it, then by all means retract it and apologize, but if it is there to be seen, maybe it will lead to cooler thinking before doing it again  :) accountability and being responsible for our actions are valid. 

It is all too confusing to read an old thread that has been judiciously edited by the original posters, and find it makes no sense.

Re-writing posts is a bit like editing history......something I would have thought is not condoned by members LoL  :P

However For threads needing to be updated for information this can be difficult, What would be perfect is for Squadron/Historical info pages to have editing permissions and general discussion/hot topics to have the current limit

Cheers Dakpilot  

Edited by Dakpilot

I agree with the OP. The 15 min limit is ridiculous. If something gets your so riled up that you start flaming, it'll take a lot longer than 15 minutes to calm down.

• Upvote 1

Just the sort of reasoning that calls for leaving flaming post to be judged by history.....LOL  :)

Everyone is focusing on the flaming, but honestly that's the least of my worries. The old ubizoo and yellow boards had great threads full of useful information that was compiled by people who spent a lot of time and effort to help out the community. If someone wanted to do the same thing here, it would be impossible.

It's about the community aspects more than anything. It's important for members to be able to help each other, the devs can't be there to solve every little problem. We need to be able to communicate efficiently with people who are new to the game or people that need help. Currently, that is very difficult if not impossible.

Edited by Crow
  • Upvote 1

A perfect example of editing posts was Bearcat's thread on the SimHQ forums called "The Nugget's Guide" which covered huge swathes of information about how to get the best out of Il2.

I can appreciate a thread like that being difficult with a 15 minute rule.

Cheers, MP

• Upvote 1

Gentlemen, anyone who what's to have a useful thread and wants to keep it updated - just tell me and you'll get necessary rights. Some users already have them for their helpful posts in the Developer assistance thread.

Gentlemen, anyone who what's to have a useful thread and wants to keep it updated - just tell me and you'll get necessary rights. Some users already have them for their helpful posts in the Developer assistance thread.

Zak, with all due respect, this is exactly the problem with the current method. As much as we appreciate what you do for us, you can't be available 24/7 to help us and give us permissions on a case by case basis. There will hopefully come a time where the boards have so many members that this method of moderation will be impossible (because the game sold so many copies! :biggrin: ). We need to be able to help each other without unnecessary restriction.

Edited by Crow

Flaming - you can always delete your posts.

That said, I'm with Crow. It's another barrier between posters and useful info compilation.

• Upvote 3

Surely not being able to edit posts will lead to less time spent moderating...(for when BOS is a success and the boards are full,and the new flame wars have erupted :rolleyes: ).the evidence is clearly available, so moderating does not have to be done in "real time"  :cool:

If you have a valid thread that benefits from update's then you will be given permission, if it is useful and used, you do not need to have instant editing rights, and a simple copy paste will sort things out later..

Cheers Dakpilot

Absolutely agree with Crow on this one.

It's childish to lock away someone's posts. I frigging hate it.

I'm many times posting from my droid. I may be pressed with time and the bloody small keyboard is anoying. From the cellphone sometimes I don't have access to a lot of info that I may want in the post. On other forums, when I get to my computer I can edit my post with additional info.

I have another good example. Few months ago I changed the host for a bunch of my images. All images posted before then, now have the red x instead of the image. On some forums I could simply go back and edit my links so the images still show.

That can't be done on this forum.

We are not children. Well, most of us aren't. There's no reason to treat all posters like kids or thieves. We are responsible for what we post and if we think editing our posts will allow us to bring out more accurate information, we should be allowed to do that.

You should treat all users as mature and honest people and punish those that aren't, instead of treating everyone like a potential offender.

• Upvote 1

Surely not being able to edit posts will lead to less time spent moderating...(for when BOS is a success and the boards are full,and the new flame wars have erupted :rolleyes: ).the evidence is clearly available, so moderating does not have to be done in "real time" :cool:

If you have a valid thread that benefits from update's then you will be given permission, if it is useful and used, you do not need to have instant editing rights, and a simple copy paste will sort things out later..

Cheers Dakpilot

Why do people always have to look at the worst side of things? There's so much more to communicating on a forum than a few bad apples causing problems. They can still do that within 15 minutes if they want.

Why punish all the community for a few?

It's like saying to NSA, " please record all our phone calls and internet activity, because that way you may catch a terrorst at some point.

This is just wrong.

Edited by Jaws2002

If we can vote on this I vote to edit posts.  I had to PM Zak to get permission to update my recruitment thread,  that's a ridiculous way to run a forum,  very offputting to even use the place tbh.

Absolutely agree with Crow on this one.

It's childish to lock away someone's posts. I frigging hate it.

I'm many times posting from my droid. I may be pressed with time and the bloody small keyboard is anoying. From the cellphone sometimes I don't have access to a lot of info that I may want in the post. On other forums, when I get to my computer I can edit my post with additional info.

I have another good example. Few months ago I changed the host for a bunch of my images. All images posted before then, now have the red x instead of the image. On some forums I could simply go back and edit my links so the images still show.

That can't be done on this forum.

We are not children. Well, most of us aren't. There's no reason to treat all posters like kids or thieves. We are responsible for what we post and if we think editing our posts will allow us to bring out more accurate information, we should be allowed to do that.

You should treat all users as mature and honest people and punish those that aren't, instead of treating everyone like a potential offender.

Yeah, I don't quite understand the mentality of "we are the guardians of morality and righteousness, so we will lock all threads that don't conform to our CPVPV standards."  Arguments happen in real life, there's no reason why people can't debate on the internet.

Honestly between the old RoF boards and this forum, they are two of the worst managed and structured forums I've ever participated in. Unfortunately, they have monopolies on the particular subject matter, so what can you do? I'd chalk it up to poor admin, but experience has shown that other companies like Gaijin and Wargaming.net use the same sort of approach to forum management. I'm beginning to wonder if Russians have very different standards about what is acceptable behavior from an admin/moderator/member on a forum. I think that might be the sticking point. Perhaps we need some native English speakers to moderate the English boards? I'd happily volunteer.

• Upvote 1

I'm beginning to wonder if Russians have very different standards about what is acceptable behavior from an admin/moderator/member on a forum. I think that might be the sticking point.

I'm not russian, and still think this kind of comment is unacceptable.

Could I have the right to edit this post please:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/27-5jg27/

Thank you.

@Farber

Better send a PM to Zak.

I'm beginning to wonder if Russians have very different standards about what is acceptable behavior from an admin/moderator/member on a forum. I think that might be the sticking point. Perhaps we need some native English speakers to moderate the English boards?

Our moderator Bearcat is from the U.S. in case you don't know.

Once in a while I take a glance on the Russian BoS forum to see what's going on there and people are allowed to go quite far in their comments.

(Makes me think we the "western front" members are just a bunch of friendly sissyboys. :biggrin: )

I haven't noticed any difference here in moderating compared to other WWII related flight sim forums though.

The 15 minutes time can be annoying but on the other hand I understand.

If members keep on changing their comments the replies to it don't make sense anymore.

"The 15 minutes time can be annoying but on the other hand I understand.

If members keep on changing their comments the replies to it don't make sense anymore."

This  :)

History is history, if you want to change a post after 15mins a copy paste and edit or retraction is fine, Are people wanting the ability to re-write or edit history?  :biggrin:

and if you want a thread to edit for useful purposes, how hard is it to send a PM, if you are going to be editing a thread anyway..... :cool:

Cheers Dakpilot

Yeah, I don't quite understand the mentality of "we are the guardians of morality and righteousness, so we will lock all threads that don't conform to our CPVPV standards."  Arguments happen in real life, there's no reason why people can't debate on the internet.

Honestly between the old RoF boards and this forum, they are two of the worst managed and structured forums I've ever participated in. Unfortunately, they have monopolies on the particular subject matter, so what can you do? I'd chalk it up to poor admin, but experience has shown that other companies like Gaijin and Wargaming.net use the same sort of approach to forum management. I'm beginning to wonder if Russians have very different standards about what is acceptable behavior from an admin/moderator/member on a forum. I think that might be the sticking point. Perhaps we need some native English speakers to moderate the English boards? I'd happily volunteer.

Wow really... Look guys as it is now you cannot edit your topics beyond 15 minutes.. under normal circumstances. I didn't make it that way but that's how it is so get over it. I am not sure of the details as to why that happened but I imagine it is to make people more accountable for what they post since in the past we have had too many people shoot from the lip and then edit their post and then turn into owls... ("Who..? Me??!!) . Think before you hit send and make sure you are saying what you want to say ... While there are some threads that I agree need occasional updating and editing I am sure if a poster has proven that they are responsible and actually contribute to the forum their ability tio edit useful threads they start can be modified.

As for the last part of your statement.. it speaks for itself and it's author about one of the possible reasons why the forum is set up the way it is.

Not only that considering this:

gump_zpsb748d132.jpg .. That's all I have to say about that....

End of discussion .. move along folks .. there is nothing more to see here.