Sign in to follow this  
taffy2jeffmorgan

DCS Mig 21

Hi. I have not been near a combat jet simulation since way back in the days of Jane's and Novologic they took some getting used too, but when mastered they where great fun to fly, I was looking through the

DCS website and they have a swathe of aircraft on offer, and the Mig 21 looks great ! my question is, how difficult are these new jet combat flight sims and are they made to suit the novice and also the expert ?

I have just upgraded my graphics [GTX 970] so that Mig cockpit should look like the real thing ?

Thought I would seek advice from the jet fighter fraternity.

Cheers, :salute:

Edited by taffy2jeffmorgan

I don't know since I don't have and probably never will buy the Mig-21, to many buttons for me to remember , can't even remember what I had for breakfast. Might go for the Mig-16 just out of curiosity. But there is a ton of videos on YouTube, just search for DCS Mig-21.

Master

It seems pretty complex and overwhelming at first but you´ll get used to the MiG 21.

I fly it from time to time and it´s a real joy - even if I don´t know all of the systems yet.

So I´d say you don´t need to be an expert and if you invest a little time you can fly it pretty easily - just takes time to master it.

But then I think every plane demands this.

In my opinion the MiG 21 is pretty worth it´s money and is very well made.

If you are interested in this plane at all go for it!

• Upvote 1

When you start learning, it's as complex as you want it to be. If you want to skip the cold start (for now) and go straight to radar management, you can do that.

Or you can make a cold start checklist, verify it, and practice landings. It's up to you.

And if you use the in-game F10 map, you can ignore the navigation aids. They're easy to use, though.

The tutorials and manual are all well laid out. Making notes will help if you have many days of downtime between your flight sessions. 

Edited by Calvamos

Apart from startup and other head down activity, what is gameplay like outside the cockpit? Is there a campaign, pilot or unit management, awards, kill tracking, debriefings etc.?

if they weren't difficult and complex, they'd be useless, because the game is set in modern times with a modern theater, and a us map coming soon. so now they've thrown some korean and ww2 era fighters in for no apparent reason. they can't do anything and you can't portray a proper combat scenario, just fantasy ones. so the only entertaining thing to do is fly them around and learn what each button does

Edited by johncage

so now they've thrown some korean and ww2 era fighters in for no apparent

You can say that with a straight face ? 

MiG-21 isn't difficult at all. You just need to fly it by the numbers. Take off is simple; throttle up and start applying stick back pressure at 220km/h, nose wheel off the ground at 280km/h, and you'll rotate around 350km/h. Make sure your approach is lined up long before you reach the threshold and don't drop below 340km/h during the approach. When you're over the threshold, make sure your VSI is indicating a descent of no more than 2-4m/s. And NEVER chop the throttle until your main gear is on the runway.

Weapons wise? Straight forward stuff.

Also, I recommend practicing take-offs without afterburner. Anyone can firewall it, so it's better to get proficient when you lack that acceleration.

if they weren't difficult and complex, they'd be useless, because the game is set in modern times with a modern theater, and a us map coming soon. so now they've thrown some korean and ww2 era fighters in for no apparent reason. they can't do anything and you can't portray a proper combat scenario, just fantasy ones. so the only entertaining thing to do is fly them around and learn what each button does

For no apparent reason? People bought them, I think that's a pretty good reason. If you don't like them, don't get them. This isn't complex

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Upvote 1

Apart from startup and other head down activity, what is gameplay like outside the cockpit? Is there a campaign, pilot or unit management, awards, kill tracking, debriefings etc.?

Check this out, dynamic campaign, tracks stats. You play as a MiG-21 regiment protecting Tblisi infrastructure from NATO air attacks.  http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=136618

Edited by Calvamos
  • Upvote 1

I thought the puropse of a flight sim was simulation incl. Flying the aircraft and using its systems like the you would flying the real thing. In DSC youbhave real airoports to fly from or to. Incl nav aids as you have in the Mig21. I bought her. She's a great module but I haven't really flown her since I'm still reading the manuals. Piont is: the DCS manual is almost identical to the original yugoslav airforce manual and the english one.

The MiG-21 by Leatherneck Simulations is an absolute wonder. It's a must-buy.  :cool: And I'm really not that big a fan of russian planes...