71st_AH_Mastiff

Looks like the final straw for any flight sim

looks like more people want boring flights and flying real photo realistic area's than any combat.

To me as a business prospective this is dismal numbers.

or look at changing the way flights have to be flown. maybe some planes that don't have combat, but you can fly and still enjoy the scenery?

in photo realistic environments, and still keep the combat side of things?

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/63950,265930,307960,314160#3m

Edited by 71st_Mastiff
  • Upvote 1

There's a sure-fire way to increase those numbers:

a.) Remove unlocks (or at least allow XP grinding through multiplayer)
b.) Increase server count on multiplayer

I've left out the FMB and Dserver because we know that they're coming.

Let's hope the devs are fairly flexible when it comes to changing those two aspects of the game, because from what it seems, it isn't all too popular right now.

Edited by 19te.Leaf
  • Upvote 10

The multiplayer layout of this game is seriously not appealing at all.

Where is the ability to make your own pirvate server and just fly with some buddies? Incredible that this has been overlooked this far down the line.

The small numbers "enjoying" this game is everything it deserves in its current state. I hope it changes for the better I really do.

• Upvote 3

I agree, Leaf. MP allow points and the unlocks to work in Multiplayer sessions.

This would make it a much better marketing scheme and bring more to the MP side.

I hope 1C is listening. they put a big amount of money into this.

• Upvote 3

I agree with the overall point about the game design of BoS not being overly exciting in the long run, BoS is a great sim but a mediocre game.

However: Do take into account, that that graph only shows the people playing who actually bought BoS therough Steam. It completely leaves out the vast majority of the really dedicated simmers, who bought at some point during early access as well as anyone else who bought BoS via the website since then (which is not a small number, I personally have adviced several potential buyers to purchase via the website and not Steam)

I would wager, that the actual number of BoS players lies closer to Flight Sim X in that graph. Still not nearly good enough.

Edited by Finkeren

The other side of the coin when in a niche market cost go up.

i.e. Steel Beast Pro PE. $150 dollars and upgrade cost avrg. $30 dollars

So I see a price increase with the amount of work and a customers, IL2 BOS price increase about the same $150.00.

Look at how much Misrosofts office cost. and I think that's high they have far more customers.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

Naww, combat flight simming is just going through some phases, it may be simmering right now but I don't believe it is dead or dying. As long as high performance computer enthusiasts are out there, primarily for gaming, there can be a market for it. Obviously the computer hardware industry is doing pretty good, several brands continually coming out with the latest and greatest for the enthusiast. Obviously peripherals are doing ok, CH, TM, Saitek - still heavily involved in the market .  And what do most of those enthusiast do? Game.

Companies just have to find what works in the current day for the niche they are in. I think BOS has missed out so far on that, and based on what I am seeing ( those charts a good example), a return to how combat flight sims used to be would seem to be what many folks want. And eventually, some company is going to take advantage of that.

No, I don't believe combat flight simming is dead or dying by any means, just in a lull for now.

There's a sure-fire way to increase those numbers:

I've left out the FMB and Dserver because we know that they're coming.

Let's hope the devs are fairly flexible when it comes to changing those two aspects of the game, because from what it seems, it isn't all too popular right now.

We are way past "or at least allow XP grinding through multiplayer". At this stage a complete removal of XP in any shape is the only thing that have a glimmer of hope getting back the lost customers. Will it happen, not in a million years, not even if their business depended on it.

​Unfortunately, XP/grind is only a drop in the bucket for many. Well, a glass half full in the bucket to be fair.

Looks like some potential for the Goat Simulator though...It's not all bad....

Do not , i repeat do NOT trust a chart that you have not written yourself.

• Upvote 1

Do not , i repeat do NOT trust a chart that you have not written yourself.

pessimist you must of worked in the government?

It aint over till the fat lady sings........The next few months....could make a big difference.

• Upvote 2

Not sure if a) would help, as for b), there are already more than enough empty servers around and afaik, if you ask the devs nicely, you can get access to the dserver anyway (unless i'm mistaken).

http://online.il2forever.com/

At this point in time war thunder gives the end user more options for creating missions, campaigns, ect - which is pretty sad when you think about it.

As long as the only content this game has is a lackluster single player offering and mostly empty mp servers with the same scenarios over and over then there isn't much to do.

Oh and about the numbers;

Steam says that there are 90 people on BoS while online.il2forever shows 93 people playing online mp right now. Some of those steam players are almost certainly in sp, but it looks like a rather close correlation between the two.

Interestingly CloD is at 130 on steam but atags site shows 203(!) playing mp right now. I guess quite a few have pirated that game or are using no steam cracks.

I wonder how many of these play full real sim battle in planes today? Anyone know? :Puntitled52sfo.png

Its usually a few hundred but I haven't played that game in months.

"Final Straw" may be a little alarmist. Kind of up there around the "Y2K End of the World" thing. After having experienced years of the Maddox IL-2 adventure plus the Cliffs of Dover saga, I read Jason Williams announcement of the collaboration with 1C and 777 back in 2012 with somewhat raised eyebrows. Since that event, I have lurked the forums, watched the YouTube videos and generally tried to stay up to date with BoS.

What I see is a dedicated group of very talented people (devs, programmers,etc.) pouring their heart and soul into a labour of love. They've raised the bar in community relations with regular weekly updates. They've met their milestones. They've engaged their customer base. In turn, the general maturity level of the community at large has been also impressive. It is rare to see immature, self-centered idiocy manifested in these forums.

At Christmas, I threw my hat in the ring and purchased the game, not the base game but the premium addition. Why?

This is a niche market and a business. This level of quality deserves my support because I'm a dedicated flight simmer and as such, these folks won't survive without my financial support (and that of many others).

I know that Jason and every member of the team who speaks English reads every post in this forum. They are aware of every "wart" and "bug" that is reported. They are as aware of short-comings as perceived in the game as we are. It's in their best interests to know these things.

Good things come to those who are patient. Things that are broken will be fixed. Or at least 1C and 777 will do their best. Server issues will be solved.

I, for one, am very optimistic about the future.

• Upvote 10

I agree with above poster, 'final straw' seems a bit alarmist and I trust Jason and Co. to keep working and improving BoS over time.

"Final Straw" may be a little alarmist. Kind of up there around the "Y2K End of the World" thing. After having experienced years of the Maddox IL-2 adventure plus the Cliffs of Dover saga, I read Jason Williams announcement of the collaboration with 1C and 777 back in 2012 with somewhat raised eyebrows. Since that event, I have lurked the forums, watched the YouTube videos and generally tried to stay up to date with BoS.

What I see is a dedicated group of very talented people (devs, programmers,etc.) pouring their heart and soul into a labour of love. They've raised the bar in community relations with regular weekly updates. They've met their milestones. They've engaged their customer base. In turn, the general maturity level of the community at large has been also impressive. It is rare to see immature, self-centered idiocy manifested in these forums.

At Christmas, I threw my hat in the ring and purchased the game, not the base game but the premium addition. Why?

This is a niche market and a business. This level of quality deserves my support because I'm a dedicated flight simmer and as such, these folks won't survive without my financial support (and that of many others).

I know that Jason and every member of the team who speaks English reads every post in this forum. They are aware of every "wart" and "bug" that is reported. They are as aware of short-comings as perceived in the game as we are. It's in their best interests to know these things.

Good things come to those who are patient. Things that are broken will be fixed. Or at least 1C and 777 will do their best. Server issues will be solved.

I, for one, am very optimistic about the future.

You've just been hanging there watching things for a couple of years then, and made the move after you saw how mature we've all been here on the forum, and you know that they read every post, and know every bug and wart that is reported...amazing.   Give that man a "gold founders bar" and set em up......"unlocks" for everybody.....

While I don't agree with everything said....I do agree that this one will take some patience....and the next few months are very important.

On a simple analysis of the figures it seems clear that the next BoS update should include a goat. Or several.

• Upvote 8

I don't think it helps that I bought BoS during EA.. then later bought Goat Simulator on Steam not too long ago.

Furthermore, the Spitfire fanboys of CloD have been absolutely relentless in telling people to not buy BoS.

• Upvote 3

the biggest problem of BoS at the moment ist the XP thing.

I have the real pilot license and love WW2 Simulator, even bought every game of IL-2 but there's at the moment no fun, playing the campaign...

You fly over 15 minutes to the [edited] action area to get shot down by three He-111 and two G-2's while bursting about 3 times while getting out of ammo after three bursts... And the best thing... if you land that thing safely on the ground with a damaged plane you didn't even get points...

I've tried this 3 times till I lose the tension to play this game ...

And even when you are successful you need to do this for 10 planes and about, don't really know, hunderets of hours to get every [edited] skin and weapon mod.

thats [edited] is frustrating me!

I really love this sim but this should be fixed quickly!

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Lenguage

Goat Simulator =  > 10$   - whatever it is, we have to admit that it has fun factor x10+ relative to others "simulators".  :biggrin:

Goat Simlulator doesn't require a joystick

Also civ flight sims are really popular.

The X-Plane forum has 10x the members that BoS does.

We could form our own goat squadrons and take over the WORLD!  Special goat skin paks and missions, maybe even a career option with a dynamic campaign generator.....And goats have altered history...I'm sure of it....I've just got to do some reading on this...

Is because the guys (that buy FS/X-Plane) dream in be a pilot, not a "ace" (and dont bother if Bf 109 maximum speed is 0,03KM/H less than some "secret" chart).  :lol: 

I don't think it helps that I bought BoS during EA.. then later bought Goat Simulator on Steam not too long ago.

Furthermore, the Spitfire fanboys of CloD have been absolutely relentless in telling people to not buy BoS.

I'm on the same boat. LOL  :lol:

Also, I guess the primary reason is the price, compared to BoS, the other games on that chart is waaaaay cheaper.

Is because the guys (that buy FS/X-Plane) dream in be a pilot, not a "ace" (and dont bother if Bf 109 maximum speed is 0,03KM/H less than some "secret" chart).  :lol: 

Show me the guns....just show me the guns.... :biggrin:

I agree with the overall point about the game design of BoS not being overly exciting in the long run, BoS is a great sim but a mediocre game.

However: Do take into account, that that graph only shows the people playing who actually bought BoS therough Steam. It completely leaves out the vast majority of the really dedicated simmers, who bought at some point during early access as well as anyone else who bought BoS via the website since then (which is not a small number, I personally have adviced several potential buyers to purchase via the website and not Steam)

I would wager, that the actual number of BoS players lies closer to Flight Sim X in that graph. Still not nearly good enough.

Yes the big majority of our users have purchased outside of Steam. The appeal of Steam is still mixed among simmers. And yes we are more expensive on average compared to the other titles. The Goat Simulator is just a lark, but hell wish I had thought of it.

Jason

• Upvote 2

Goat Simlulator doesn't require a joystick

The X-Plane forum has 10x the members that BoS does.

Neither does Rise of Flight.  :happy:

I joke...

Anywho, I'm sure the game will be around - I've got no doubt about that...

We could form our own goat squadrons and take over the WORLD!  Special goat skin paks and missions, maybe even a career option with a dynamic campaign generator.....And goats have altered history...I'm sure of it....I've just got to do some reading on this...

No. 609 boys and Billy de Goat!

609-sqn-with-their-goat-2.jpg[

FSX was $5 on Steam when it came out, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

• Upvote 1