Sign in to follow this  
VRPilot

Any news for Oculus Rift?

I've got a Rift DK2 since a few day and it is insane good while flying DCS. Even spotting WWII Aircrafts in DCS is totally ok, this shoulb be 10x better in BoS. 

So, how is the status for Rift support in BoS? I can't play in 2D anymore...

It working in BOS (as it always did) but not perfectly technology-wise. We want it to be implemented as well as possible. So as soon we here are pleased with the result - you'll have it.

• Upvote 2

It working in BOS (as it always did) but not perfectly technology-wise. We want it to be implemented as well as possible. So as soon we here are pleased with the result - you'll have it.

Make it perfect for the release of the Oculus Consumer Version. For me that would be priority one.

This will be soooooo awesome!!!!!!!

Still looks like a release for CV1 late this year, early next.

As they're now talking about 1080p instead of 1440 I think a lot of people will be disappointed.

Hopefully CV2 will be the killer with a decent resolution.

Noone talks 1080p! Even Crescent bay already has 1440p.

Its safe to expect 1440 as the very least for the consumerversion.

Anything but 1440p for the CV would be a big surprise, but in any case, i think the chance of a higher resolution is even slimmer than that of a lower resolution.

I've sold my DK2 last month, so now i can wait for proper OR support. :P

Th day the DK2 support is released will certainly be the day I'll re install IL2 BOS! Looking forward to that :)

i wish pictures could convey the sense of being there that u get in dcs with dk2...it really is hard to describe. who would have thought that just looking down the side of your cockpit at the trees and houses passing by on the ground beneath, as you line up for final approach would be such a thrilling experience.

One of my favorite activities in dcs is just landing different planes over and over again. Its such a trip. There is no guess work, you can 'feel' it in. you get the butt sense of ur drop rate, u can whip your head out the side of the cockpit to see past the nose of ur tail dragger as you taxi onto the tarmac.  and you will really have to work your neck muscles as you panic and try to find the bogey that just disappeared behind your tail. It is heady stuff.

i wish pictures could convey the sense of being there that u get in dcs with dk2...it really is hard to describe. who would have thought that just looking down the side of your cockpit at the trees and houses passing by on the ground beneath, as you line up for final approach would be such a thrilling experience.

One of my favorite activities in dcs is just landing different planes over and over again. Its such a trip. There is no guess work, you can 'feel' it in. you get the butt sense of ur drop rate, u can whip your head out the side of the cockpit to see past the nose of ur tail dragger as you taxi onto the tarmac.  and you will really have to work your neck muscles as you panic and try to find the bogey that just disappeared behind your tail. It is heady stuff.

I tried DCS when i still had my DK2. Its really great. However reading the gauges was no fun. The practical use in competetive MP is not yet there due to the low resolution.

I am confident this wont me any issue once the consumerversion comes out.

One thing i know for sure: The moment the "preorder" button becomes available I will press it. Just like with everything that comes from 777 regarding BOS:)

Thanks Zak for the update! That´s sound promising! quality is first, we can wait.

From business perspective it could be more profitable to implement it first in ROF, since it requires less resolution (1080p will be fine)  with less gauges in cockpit. In addition, it will reinforce the ROF sales because every DK2 user with a joystick will want to try it.

Yes, RoF would actually make a lot of sense, it's the perfect sim for the DK2 and I'm really dreaming of the day I'll be able to fly RoF in VR!

Gauge reading is something that can be sorted with a few tricks. The DCOC plugin for Prepar3d lets you bind a coolie hat to quickly zoom on gauges, and using that I've been able to fly big airliners, type stuff in the FMC etc - not perfect as ideally I would prefer not to have to zoom in and out on final approach to look at my speed for example, but it does work, and often if the gauge is of a relatively standard size, you'll see the needle well enough to know your rough speed.

CV1 and eventually CV2 will hopefully completely solve this issue, but as it has been pointed by developpers who started experimenting with the Oculus Rift, jumping in early is the best way to learn how to make a game work in VR and get it right when consumer versions will be out. At lot of things are expected to remain the same from a dev point of view between teh DK2 and the CV1

I have one question about this, how could you access the keyboard with this VR on your face?

I've read that there can be a front facing camera on the OR which could make it transparent or switchable in order to see outside it.

I have one question about this, how could you access the keyboard with this VR on your face?

You can still use your hands and fingers, even with the VR on your face.

After very little time I've gotten used to finding my marks around the keyboard and typing blindly - I can chat, type in system names in Elite Dangerous etc - so when it comes to using keyboard, I don't even feel the need for a pass through camera to be honest. Most of the time I'm using the HOTAS and also voice attack to make it even easier.

Please, Zak, please please please enable it even if it's WIP. Even if the UI doesn't work properly, anything will do. If it works well enough to just fly around in then it's enough for me.

• Upvote 1