IonicRipper

Wider FOV?

Is there any way to make the FOV wider? I like to fly with as much periferal vision as possible but the currect limits as of now still seem a bit to norrow. Any suggestions?

pause track ir if using.

then hit hot key F10

then use your INS, Home, Page up, Page Down, Del, End, keys to adjust.

then hit the F10 key once more to save.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

I have done that but I'm trying not to move the pilot's head to far back or I'll be blided by the head rest when looking back.

What I'm looking to do is set the FOV limit wider then it currectly is. So that instead of being limited to what it is now (lets say 90 degrees) I can set the FOV to say 110 degrees.

Edited by IonicRipper

So it's like in Dcs? Please not! Thats one of the most annoying things in Dcs, also unrealistic like hell (don't tell me that the humans field of view is 160 degree - it actually is, but no way that you see a plane far away when it's not within your ~30degree focus)

Agreed Celestiale, and we can already snap our heads back as fast as an owl.

That head rest almost did blind the pilots in real life.

So it's like in Dcs? Please not! Thats one of the most annoying things in Dcs, also unrealistic like hell (don't tell me that the humans field of view is 160 degree - it actually is, but no way that you see a plane far away when it's not within your ~30degree focus)

You can adjust the max FOV in DCS to make it smaller.

you also could deactivate your radar marking in BoS when it was still there. But all the other guys don't and then have an unfair advantage against you. Same here :rolleyes:

I'd like to widen my FOV a bit more aswell. It's not a big deal though.

Don't see why folks are hating on big FOV's, some of us have big moniters. :cool:

I'd like to widen my FOV a bit more aswell. It's not a big deal though.

Don't see why folks are hating on big FOV's, some of us have big moniters. :cool:

it's not the FOV itself, it's the 2D-fisheye looking vision..everything just gets stretched on the edge of the monitor, and it looks so unnatural. In DCS you can make a screenshot, where the Dora wing covers 3/4 of the monitor in fully zoomed out mode. Looks like a square shelf and not like a wing

Personally I would love adjustable FOV (aspect too). My screen res is 7680 x 1440 and I can't use it.

it's not the FOV itself, it's the 2D-fisheye looking vision..everything just gets stretched on the edge of the monitor, and it looks so unnatural. In DCS you can make a screenshot, where the Dora wing covers 3/4 of the monitor in fully zoomed out mode. Looks like a square shelf and not like a wing

Thats a problem of projecting what should be spherical volume through a frustum onto a flat viewport and then displaying it on 3 physically offset screens. This would not be an issue if the engine allowed multiple viewports (1 for each screen). But I doubt anyone would bother with Rift being so close to prime time.

What would happen if someone used a 21:9 monitor. LG makes a 30" curved one that looks like it would be awesome. But what FOV would you see?

What would happen if someone used a 21:9 monitor. LG makes a 30" curved one that looks like it would be awesome. But what FOV would you see?

In my testing what you see is the same FOV as everyone else with the top and bottom cropped off such that the absolute width and aspect ratio of the viewport is preserved but projected onto your wider screen. Short answer - pretty crap.

yeah you are right..with such a monitor it would make more sense. Think i have to revoke my opinion from before. Should be an adjustable option like "what monitor do you use?" and as presets 16:9, 21:9, tripple screen, and oculus, and then a naturally looking adjusted FoV for each of them.

how is this possible? just looked over the options but didnt find anything..only thing possible would be to set a deadzone to the zoom-slider, but you would have to do this for each plane severally?

I have done that but I'm trying not to move the pilot's head to far back or I'll be blided by the head rest when looking back.

What I'm looking to do is set the FOV limit wider then it currectly is. So that instead of being limited to what it is now (lets say 90 degrees) I can set the FOV to say 110 degrees.

It's called "Zoom" in BoS. By default you control that with + and - on the numpad.

Widest FOV you can get that way is 150 degrees.

S!

That is what heppens. First pic starting position, second pic fully zoomed out.

post-14028-0-00265200-1420800673_thumb.jpg

post-14028-0-49466700-1420800680_thumb.jpg

Would be nice if someone could post some 16:9 pictures to compare them.

Zettman

S!

That is what heppens. First pic starting position, second pic fully zoomed out.

attachicon.gif2015_1_9__10_46_16.jpg

attachicon.gif2015_1_9__10_46_21.jpg

Would be nice if someone could post some 16:9 pictures to compare them.

Zettman

Looks way wider than I get on max zoomed out on 16:9 monitor, don't have any good comparison pic here at work but I only get small fish eye effect on max zoom out on 16:9 ratio, your second pic has more lensing on the sides but I guess that's in your Peripheral vision anyway with a monitor this wide? Head zoom probably controls vertical FOV which is locked to the same values for all users but with a wider aspect ratio you would naturally then get way wider horizontal FOV.

Wish I could afford a 1440p 21:9, Must be great flying like that.  :)

Borrowed a pic I used earlier:

2a7sgb.png

Edited by =LD=Penshoon

yeah you are right..with such a monitor it would make more sense. Think i have to revoke my opinion from before. Should be an adjustable option like "what monitor do you use?" and as presets 16:9, 21:9, tripple screen, and oculus, and then a naturally looking adjusted FoV for each of them.

how is this possible? just looked over the options but didnt find anything..only thing possible would be to set a deadzone to the zoom-slider, but you would have to do this for each plane severally?

Here's my settings in the DCS menu

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2286120#post2286120

Your second pic has more lensing on the sides but I guess that's in your Peripheral vision anyway with a monitor this wide?

S!

As I got the Monitor, I sometimes noticed the effect. If I flew close to other planes, they seemed very big because of the effect when they were at the edge of the Monitor. When I turned my head and they were in the center of the Monitor, they seemed to shrink a bit. But I got used to it and now I don't notice it anymore.

Zettman

The evolution of this topic quite confused me..

So...is it possible to change the field of view (not the zoom) or not?!?

The evolution of this topic quite confused me..

So...is it possible to change the field of view (not the zoom) or not?!?

Zoom is FOV

Yes the correct term for zoom in game should be FOV, I think there are limits to changing FOV wider because the view gets so distorted , different design teams have different view on what they consider optimal,

so to confuse the issue of naming  ;) actually there is no zoom in game

Cheers Dakpilot

Understood, thanks :)

Then, if i can express mi opinion, i think that maybe 10 deg more of FOV would be perfect

Below are the widest and narrowest FOV available in game.  I have a 16:9 monitor.

Widest

20922615399_1014cd39cc_h.jpg

Narrowest

20488341033_1578b0e1c6_h.jpg

You can Save the FOV anywhere in between these two as your "normal" FOV with the F10.  This setting will be the FOV that will load and is aircraft specific  See Page 40 of manual.  Here is an example.

20488339953_fc5aac4c75_h.jpg

Once an FOV between the narrowest and widest is saved as your normal setting, the zoom in/zoom out works within these restraints, that is, the zoom out will be restricted to that point but the zoom in point is also affected.  That being said if you have TrackIR you can still achieve the narrowest or widest FOV (up to those shown above) by leaning forward or backward.

Edited by VR_Stick

BTW, the above are full size, unprocessed screenshots, i.e., no cropping, etc.

Also, the FOV setting only controls your position/perspective in the cockpit, not the closeness of the terrain which is controlled by the zoom in/zoom out camera setting.

Edited by VR_Stick

One of the problems using a 'very wide' field of view is that you will get the impression you are flying one of these :)

post-6177-0-43988100-1441279385_thumb.jpg

The forward swept wing view is too much of a tradeoff and spoils immersion completely for me, but I guess that is truly dependant on personal preference

An alternative  to get wider view without distortion is to set up a custom monitor resolution in 21.9 ratio and set to - perform scaling by GPU (Nvidia CP, adjust desktop size and position) rather than display, this works in other games, but not sure if this is possible in BoS, you will get bars along the top but the wider view a 21.9 monitor would give you (pseudo triple screen) is a trade off

I would test myself but due to a well known UHD/HDMI 2 info sharing issue the option is greyed out for me with my HDTV/Monitor (select GPU)

I have seen this setup on other rigs and it can be good, at least an easy way to 'test' ultrawide 21.9 aspect ratio  monitor, maybe this will be of use to someone, but as I said I don't know how this works with BoS

**there are better guides online than my fumbled explanation**

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

I know what you are saying Dak but if you sit fairly close to a large monitor the outer sections that appear distorted are not really as they are almost in peripheral view, it's when you either view a video like mine or look at a screenshot on a monitor that is not the same size. For example if I sat back 1 m from monitor it might look a little fish-eyed but since I don't it looks really good and closer to realistic than the default 'zoomed in' view which is like looking through a diving mask and obscures things I certainly could see in RL.

I guess the great thing is we can adjust this stuff to suit different monitor sizes and seating positions. 

Yep, I was mainly referring an example if we had a wider FOV available ;)

the first and last images in this article show the advantages of 21:9

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-ultrawide-21-9-cinematic-pc-gaming

It would interesting if anyone can set this for BoS on a 16:9 monitor, and if it would be any good, bars on top but better view...probably work better on a larger screen

or people experience with genuine 21:9 monitor experience with BoS, and the ability to use narrower FOV with wider view

Cheers Dakpilot

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-ultrawide-21-9-cinematic-pc-gaming

It would interesting if anyone can set this for BoS on a 16:9 monitor, and if it would be any good, bars on top but better view...probably work better on a larger screen

or people experience with genuine 21:9 monitor experience with BoS, and the ability to use narrower FOV with wider view

Cheers Dakpilot

I tried setting up a custom 2560*1080p resolution on my 2560*1440p screen for that 21:9 aspect ratio but wasn't worth the loss in image quality from lower vertical resolution. 

I think the current FoV span works good. remember that the higher the FoV the harder it is to judge how far away things are in the distance as the image gets warped. 

I get the impression that it is infact a disadvantage in BOS.

Just compare my field of view (21:9) with the one of VR_Stick (16:9).

post-14028-0-49466700-1420800680_thumb.j

Below are the widest and narrowest FOV available in game.  I have a 16:9 monitor.

Widest

20922615399_1014cd39cc_h.jpg

It looks like 21:9 is just cut out of the 16:9 image for me and therefore reducing the field of view for 21:9 users.

Zettman

That does look just like a 'cut out' of the 16:9 image and not "real" 21:9 aspect ratio, have you tried setting it to 'scaling by GPU" rather than display and the other settings under Nvidia CP -  adjust desktop size and position

Sorry if I am telling you things that you have already tested ;) , however it may just be that BoS does not support Ultra wide screen, many titles don't, maybe there is some help here?

http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

Cheers Dakpilot