was excited to see the wargrounds server there, knowing about the RoF wargrounds fame, but i was only able to find 2 or 3 other players on ONCE. the rest of the time it is 0. shame, too, as the popular servers have a MUCH larger ping time than this one for me.

i thought the mission was interesting but, with only a few players it just wasn't active enough. one of the other players had a derogatory remark for the server, but didnt state his reason for saying such (maybe just not enough activity?) 

personally, i just got into this game, coming from RoF, and thought id see more old RoFers here since i heard such chatter about it 6-8 months ago. i think ive only seen one so far (riderocket). i know the snow maps in RoF get criticism (but some say its for weather visibility) so i wonder if there will be more BoS wargrounds activity when the green maps appear?

some comments about the mnission: i liked the idea of the supply field capture. i tried it a few times and suceeded (sparse population).

i wasnt sure what was going on with the Ai "bombing raids" as i could never find any bombers in those areas. there was an icon on the map occaisionally that i never could catch - Ai or real? 

realisitc servers need a critical mass to get going. WoL seems to have a path worn to it now and everyone seems to just head there for realistic or the "normal" server (DeD?) for the icon'd dogfights.

....RoF shows the same tendency, with Wargrounds being the familar realism server and aces falling (and some NFF) being the icon'd dogfight. syndicate gets some business because of special missions/campaigns (i havent noticed a parallel in BoS).

...all in all, i think variety is important. so different servers are good. BUT BoS magnifies the need for a critical mass on a realistic server, and even seems to need larger numbers. BoS planes are much faster and harder to see than RoF planes. Also, the map takes longer to memorize

i would like to try my hand at mission building one of these days.... when i can find the time....yeah, right.

Thanks for your comments Gump. At the moment we do not have a full time mission maker for BoS. But we welcome ideas and thoughts on things and we also invite those that are making mission but do not have servers to place them on to submit them to us for review. If excepted we will place them in rotation on our servers.

Chief

Okay, had a lot of fun on my first foray on Wargrounds. I did some taxi practicing using QMB and when I felt comfortable I went on to Wargrounds and flew what was for me a test flight. Selected my trusty Yak, got her started up, managed to taxi onto the runway, and took off into the wild blue yonder...in other words I had no idea where I was going. Did some checking on the map and finally found Stalingrad, flew in from the east and headed south along the river bank, saw two planes coming in, got one, unfortunately it was friendly. Decided to see if I could find my way home, which I did by tracking landmarks along the river. Found my base, circled around and lined up for the landing. Managed to bounce (practice needed) and pranged the prop. Overall a most fulfilling flight. Made a couple of mental notes about navigating and ID'ing planes. I am now looking forward to more flights! For those that haven't ventured out to an expert server this is a good one to get started on. Now to get TS set-up.

I can't say again how badly needed servers in the US are.

I would seriously love to see a modified version of the wargrounds mission that uses AI to transport planes to turn the neutral airfields. I wish I could do it myself, but I'm not as skilled with the editor yet.

I did do some tweaks to a sweet dogfight mission that I found on the STG server. I has 4 vs 4 AI spawning planes on the lapino map, I put this mission up last nite on my own dserver to do some solo target practice and a dozen players came in over the course of the evening. This example of small map high action for 6 to 20 players is what needs to be up on these empty servers during off hours.

Even when I went to bed, there were still 5 guys furballing around until I had to pull the plug. If you want I can send you a copy to put up on the wargrounds server ?

So the interest is there for the small US player base, they just need a server. Playing on the WOL server at US evening times is not cutting it, that map is way too big for 4 to 6 guys and no AI.

Edited by Skoop

I can't say again how badly needed servers in the US are....

This example of small map high action for 6 to 20 players is what needs to be up on these empty servers during off hours.

Generally this is what is needed anyway.  if you think back to old IL2 the maps were smaller but with less players online per map they felt just as frenetic as a large map with huge player numbers.  Lots of action and many giggles. 

Small maps + lots of ground targets + 15 pilots per side = lots of action + fun.

I don't think using a large map with concentrated targets works as well for some reason.  Maybe because in expert mode people can get lost or just because the scale of the map gets into one's head.  For me the large maps work very well for co-op style play with squad mates.

von Tom

As you may have noticed, our website has been AWOL. eek.gif

We did discuss that in some detail on the Rise of Flight site last week, when it occurred, but it didn't get posted over here (sorry about that!).

First and foremost, the site IS online. For the short term, just tweak your bookmarks to replace .com with .org and it should all work as before (sorry for the inconvenience).

The basic gist of the issue occurred when ownership of New Wings changed (about a year and a half ago). Unfortunately, the domain registry didn't get transferred, and was forgotten about entirely, until much to our chagrin (and surprise), it expired about a week or so ago. Thankfully, that only affected our website and forums, and by the next day, we were able to switch our secondary url (newwingstraining.ORG) to be our primary address (hence the need to tweak your bookmarks slightly).

Going forward, we will be working to get the old url transferred and renewed as soon as we can contact the former owner (who's relocating atm). Once that happens, your old bookmarks should work properly once again as well.

Regards,

4 <S!>

PS>  (@von_Tom, Skoop & Gramps)  I chatted with -NW-Leigh about some of your map / mission suggestions. Hopefully, if / when he gets some time away from RL, he'll look at some of those ideas. I won't pin him down with any promises or an ETA, but hopefully he'll start looking at it when he gets a chance.

This is an excellent idea as having a nice training server is much needed to work on specific tasks that may not involve PVP.  Once the BF-110 along with the P-40 and other aircraft are released, please update your server for training.  Thanks for your support. 

Hi Pilots!

Is their any Statistik on New Wings server?  Like RoF

No.  As far as I know, the statistics package for BoS is still in development by Vaal, and hasn't been released for general usage (that I know about).

Going forward, a decision hasn't been made on whether we'll be adding stats or not -- the next poster's note notwithstanding, we haven't been seeing anywhere near the volume of players in our BoS servers, as we do in RoF Wargrounds.

1 Sortie, two 1800 kg bombs, a Heinkel and two targets Altitude 4 000 mtr and 4,5 km  :biggrin:  . But I have problems getting in, I need up to 10 attempts if server is 50 + people. Is this my end/ connection or is it normal? Love flying in your server and wish you host two similar servers missions since they are often full

That's a surprise to me -- Personally, I've *never* seen New Wings BoS Wargrounds reach the player limit...  I can look at raising that, but 90+% of the time I check on the server, it's empty. Are you certain you're not mixing us up with a different server?

Regarding connection problems, I'm not sure what to tell you there -- I've not heard complaints in that area, and I was in both of our servers last night (verifying some minor changes) without experiencing any issues. 

If you're having persistent connection trouble, I'd recommend some testing (traceroute, WinMTR, etc.) to help determine what the issue might be.

In any case, sorry you had some connection difficulties -- I hope they're just temporary and they sort themselves out for you...

Regards,

4 <salute>

Edited by -NW-FourSpeed

~S

Hey FourSpeed,

What triggers the AI planes to spawn on the Training server? I flew into both circles and nobody spawned. Thanks. Jaeger55

Hi guys just wanted to say your training server is great fun and the best way to practice in this game in my opinion, but since the update your ai aircraft are not spawning in when u fly over the markers. would be great to see it working again and to see the p40 added also. keep up the good work. beaks

~S

Hey FourSpeed,

What triggers the AI planes to spawn on the Training server? I flew into both circles and nobody spawned. Thanks. Jaeger55

Hi guys just wanted to say your training server is great fun and the best way to practice in this game in my opinion, but since the update your ai aircraft are not spawning in when u fly over the markers. would be great to see it working again and to see the p40 added also. keep up the good work. beaks

Thanks guys!

We're aware of the issue and expect to be addressing it soon.  The pertinent thread on that is over here --->  thread

With today's update, we'll be patching the servers first (should be tonight), and then fixing the map issues...

Regards,

4 <S!>

i'm guessing that you'll want to put a summer/fall map(s) on the wargroung server as fast as possible, as that is generating quite a bit of fervor right now and maxing out the wol at the new 84 limit. i'd suggest getting in on the 'window of opportunity' to 'train a path' to wargrounds while opportunity presents itself.

also, i've heard complaints a few times about having no 'my plane' icon on the map for navigation - you might want to reconsider that one at least until the server gets busy.

i have also heard, and have considered it myself also, that a lower-count server would probably benefit from having close-together mission objectives to concentrate the activity in a smaller area.

i recall chief? saying that you didnt have a mission/map builder at present - maybe you could get coconut to make something real quick with the new green maps? 

The Wargrounds maps are up to QuQi - WG is his baby...  :)

I'll (hopefully) be getting fixed maps up on the Basic Training server in the next couple days.  As far as icons -- there aren't supposed to be any, of course, on Wargrounds (expert mode), but on the Basic Training server they are supposed to be there (just like our RoF Basic Training server).

Unfortunately, they've *never* worked properly there (from Day 1 -- I made several posts about it, and never got a workable reply) and I'll be damned if I can figure out why -- they DO work just fine on my test server... I've compared the .sds files for each server and (apart from account details and passwords), they're the same, so Go Figure. 

I'll take another peek at it, while I'm looking at maps, because they *should* be on, in the Training server, but I'm not sure I'll get it fixed, tbh.

We'll See.

Regards,

4 :salute:

i was speaking of wargrounds...havent looked at basic training.

haven't seen any posts by QuQi....is he active? guess i'll have to take a look...i did notice WG was locked today at lunch (12pm MST), so maybe some work being done.

He's active -- I'm not sure how much RoF or BoS time he gets in, but he can usually be found on our TS fairly often (usually on weekdays or Saturday).

If WG is locked, it's a pretty good bet he's working on that today (though I don't have any insight into his plans for WG).

Regards,

The Basic Training missions are fixed now, and the AI Circles should be spawning AI planes properly now -- I'll look into making some summer versions of those missions this weekend.

Cheers,

4 <S!>

WoL has a US (east coast) server now that has a low ping for us in the US, and it was already generating a good crowd last night. NW Wargrounds was still locked. the new summer/fall missions in WoL are encountering some issues, and have implemented some new restricted loadout scenarios that are not necessarily being accepted by all (so there may be some traffic looking for another alternative during those times).

I just wanted to drop in say how much I like the New Wings Warground server.  I logged into it the other day for the first time and was the only was on the server, but still had plenty of fun while capturing a base with a Pe-2 and then flying an IL-2 out of the same base to bomb a depot.  I'm looking forward to when it once it's available again :salute:.​

I'd very much like to play somewhere other than WoL.  I find both the ping and the clientel somewhat unsavory.

Look forward to Wargrounds being updated. Not much expert MP experience here but looking forward to learning. Thanks for the update. 

I've not heard back from QuQi (as yet), but I'll pass along your interest ... and then put some pressure on him to get it back up  :P  (I'm sure he'll be *real* happy with me about that part).  :happy:   In any case, I'm sure he'll be looking at it soon.

In other news, I've made my changes to the New Wings - Basic Training server (details here), so while you're waiting for New Wings - Wargrounds to get updated, by all means, take a flight or two in our newbie-friendly training server.

Cheers,

FYI,

I updated the Wargrounds server over the weekend, and it is now back online.  The rotation consists of a summer and winter version of the Stalingrad mission that was on there prior to the 1.103 & 1.104 patches. Please let me know if you encounter any problems with either of them.

I still haven't chatted with QuQi yet, so I'm not sure what all he has planned for Wargrounds going forward, but in the meantime, it's available to fly on -- Enjoy!

Regards,

• Upvote 1

i flew wargrounds briefly this weekend on one of the new (summer/fall) maps.. flew a 109f4 with 250 bomb....discarded bomb when i spotted enemy fighter (who did the same) ... but... the guns fired (noise) but nothing came out of them. 

Hmmmm... Sorry to hear that Gump.

I'm not sure what the issue was -- it was working for me, when I was on and testing (isn't that *always* the case?). :cool:

I installed =FB=TL's new DServer release (see thread) last night, and tested things (successfully) again, so give it another try and let me know if you run into any more difficulties.

Regards,

I flew a few sorties tonight on your server and everything ran very smoothly with the summer map.  I did the usual Pe-2 airfield capture followed by an IL-2 fuel depot run.  I do have a question regarding aircraft replenishment though.  I did two runs on the fuel depot; I was shot down on the first, but successfully landed with little damage from AAA on the second.  However, the airfield (Beketovka) still said zero of the two IL-2's were available now.  I was just curious if this was a bug because I was assuming the aircraft would be available afterwards since I landed, shut off the engine, and then ended the mission.  And again, thank you for bringing the server back online!

Thanks to everyone for their comments and heads up on problems and, of course, your patience. We're still looking for a mission editor or two that might want to contribute their time to some new maps and mission. In the mean time, if you want a good laugh, I'm trying to learn this thing called a mission editor to see IF I can contribute something besides words.

Chief

Edited by -NW-ChiefRedCloud

In the mean time, if you want a good laugh, I'm trying to learn this thing called a mission editor to see IF I can contribute something besides words.

Chief

LOL! I tried out the ME once and got thoroughly confused. Now that I am retired I might, and that's a big might, try and learn how to build missions. Even with being retired I still seem to have a full-plate of things to do though.

Yesterday I entered online for the first time in BoS and int was in Wings of Liberty server.

I have been using BoS only for one week and it's been a few years since I used any other sim (x-plane 7 to 10) and years since I use a real plane (PPL pilot) but I have to say that I had a blast and a lot of fun, dieing horribly and trying to kill an IL2 (damn Stalinium...it's hard), protecting JU's and destroying AAA.

A big THANK YOU to everyone involved in making this possible and to everyone who answered my questions. Now that I know there is a training server, I will go there to polish my aiming skills and my navigation (still hard to recognize anything on the ground and having to press "O" everytime to see the map it's impossible once I have to request assistance...).

THANKS!!!

HI Guys,

Just a little heads-up -- I've added a Tank Training base to ALL of the Basic Training maps. It's at the North end of the Bombing / Gunnery Range, and you can use your tanks to plink away at targets in the range...  Watch out for low flying planes!   :lol:

Also, be advised that the two stationary tank platoons in the SE area of the Range are a little trigger happy, and they *will* fire on your tank if they can (they'll remain stationary though).  As they are IN the range, you have full authority to take them out!

One Reminder:  New Wings Basic Training is a  Non-PvP server, so Please Do NOT shoot at other players (you're ALL on the same side) whether they are in tanks or planes -- They're trying to learn their machines as much as you are...

Thanks & Regards,

:salute:

PS>  Whether QuQi adds tanks to his missions or not is completely up to him -- Wargrounds is his baby, and I'll leave it for him to decide.  In the meanwhile, enjoy them in Basic Training!   :)

• Upvote 2

what happen your guys web page its not coming up any long says, OSHA requirements?

Change the  .com  to   .org

Our domain name expired a few months back, and we needed to change to the new one --> newwingstraining.org

Regards,

:salute:

Edited by -NW-FourSpeed

Hi guys i have used your war ground rof servers before and really like them. I really enjoy your war ground maps however quite often not many players are in the server. would it be possible to add some ai in to keep players occupied when not many people in server please? just like in rof.

Hi guys i have used your war ground rof servers before and really like them. I really enjoy your war ground maps however quite often not many players are in the server. would it be possible to add some ai in to keep players occupied when not many people in server please? just like in rof.

Wargrounds is QuQi's baby.  I mentioned your comment to him over the weekend, so he's aware of it, but it's really up to him as to whether AI are added to those missions or not.

On the New Wings Basic Training server, AI targets can be found in the Gunnery Range, and AI aircraft will spawn if you fly into the Red Circles on the map -- There are also a couple bombing targets in the southern portion of the map as well...

Regards,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does the New Wings Il2 server have a Teamspeak or other dedicated voice-comms?

Thanks,