[Pb]RedeyeStorm

Single player experience?

This is getting nauseating. SP in BOS is the shallowest I have ever experienced in any Flight Sim.It is so non immersive that I have 5 total hours of flight time, and each time that I update BOS I just can't force myself to experience its boring non immersive repetitiveness. How anyone can honestly say that it is good and that it is immersive is beyond me. I sincerely hope that once the FMB is released that some good SP content is produced.

I'm sorry if reading views which differ from yours is making you feel unwell. :)

This is getting nauseating. SP in BOS is the shallowest I have ever experienced in any Flight Sim.It is so non immersive that I have 5 total hours of flight time, and each time that I update BOS I just can't force myself to experience its boring non immersive repetitiveness. How anyone can honestly say that it is good and that it is immersive is beyond me. I sincerely hope that once the FMB is released that some good SP content is produced.

If the game is making you physically ill I would suggest that you seek medical care.  

• Upvote 1

Railways were the most efficient and heavily-used method of getting supplies of all kinds to the area of operations so I'm surprised you find the level of railway activity unrealistic. And I would also be suprised if every real CO is going to pat you on the back for bringing a plane back damaged, without something to show for it, or sometimes even if you have. My CO in first few missions of the IL-2 '46 campaign I'm playing now, 'Blinding sun', was a complete A-hole. :biggrin:

Yes the mission goals are rather artificial (tho perhaps less onerous than, say, CFS2) and unlock-oriented which we don't like, but they don't stop us from enjoying what IS there...unless we let them.

Actually I don't know how much rail traffic was actually in use at the time in theater, hence my question how many were used.

As to not having anything to show for my damaged aircraft, and body, well I totally destroyed the train and a couple other ground units nearby, and managed to bag one of the 109s that were milling about, so I had a LOT to show for that mission, and it was all lost because of a bent prop?  Even though I was wounded?  Nonsense.

Guest deleted@30725

SP is rubbish, but with a little imagination it can be fun.

I just like the flying to be honest and the SP campaign is just like practice for when my internet goes slow.

The OP asked if the SP is any good. I guess he'll find out if he plays it.

It has to be said it's slightly deeper than DCS, but then DCS makes no bones about SP. Buy your favourite toy. Master it in missions and then go online or with friends. You have to enjoy flying for that game.

Were it not for unlocks I don't think people would have such a strong opinion. You either like the unlock challenge, don't care or think you're money is not worth enough. I was gutted when they locked the game down. I had been so super excited with the development and then boom. Unlocks. Nooo. We paid early. Damn your coding fingers. I didn't play the game hardly at all after that till I took a deep breath this weekend and wasted some well earned free time to unlock most of the stuff. By the end it was hell. Now I can appreciate the art that is presented before me. Just... unlocks. Just no OK. Unless it's part of the story or you get special credit or you need it for a mission. We know Battlefield 2 was all like 'lets do unlocks to keep everyone playing' and now every game is like 'heyyy. Lets do unlocks to keep everyone playing'. But all they really do is give you something for free that's just as good as what you can unlock so when get your unlocks you wonder why you bothered unlocking in the first place. BOS is case is point. You don't need the unlocks, but most people will still go through the pain of unlocking them.

If your product is that good then people will love it and play it because they want to. EA like. Here, have $50. Wow. what a cool game! Oh wait. I have to unlock everything. Wait, didn't I just pay you? Wait. What? $50 is not enough? You have an option to PAY to unlock stuff. Here. Have another $30. While you're at it, why not have another $100! for premium Wow, cool skins. What a cool spend of $100. Huh? You want some more. F2p? What? No. I brought this game fran. It's not f2p. Yeah, yeah. Get it? You buy the game and then you have to unlock stuff. Jeeze fran! Sit, watch this. You sit here doing the same repetitive stuff all day and then you unlock stuff. It's really cool see. What? It's not cool? I, I could just play without unlocks. But all my friends have them. Look, look. watch this. You watching fran? HAHA! Did you see that fran?! Did you freaking see how awesome that was?! I.. don't know how to say this fran. I... ...paid $200 boo yeah. Who's the greatest fran. Look at my unlocks. Beautiful. Yeah, yeah, but then I won't have the unlocks if I give the money back. See fran. This is why you're over there and I'm over here. Not buts. You there, me here. I'm so cool doing unlocks. Stupid publishers think they have me hooked. Repetitive. What does fran know? Hey look, more unlocks. Hey fran....! Can you sell your car? I have to spend $300 on some unlocks. Either that or keep me supplied with food, water and caffeine. Huh? Yeah. I have to play for 60 hours today, but it's totally cool fran you get unlocks.

I just like the flying to be honest and the SP campaign is just like practice for when my internet goes slow.

It has to be said it's slightly deeper than DCS, but then DCS makes no bones about SP. Buy your favourite toy. Master it in missions and then go online or with friends. You have to enjoy flying for that game.

Were it not for unlocks I don't think people would have such a strong opinion. You either like the unlock challenge, don't care or think you're money is not worth enough. I was gutted when they locked the game down. I had been so super excited with the development and then boom. Unlocks. Nooo. We paid early. Damn your coding fingers. I didn't play the game hardly at all after that till I took a deep breath this weekend and wasted some well earned free time to unlock most of the stuff. By the end it was hell. Now I can appreciate the art that is presented before me. Just... unlocks. Just no OK. Unless it's part of the story or you get special credit or you need it for a mission. We know Battlefield 2 was all like 'lets do unlocks to keep everyone playing' and now every game is like 'heyyy. Lets do unlocks to keep everyone playing'. But all they really do is give you something for free that's just as good as what you can unlock so when get your unlocks you wonder why you bothered unlocking in the first place. BOS is case is point. You don't need the unlocks, but most people will still go through the pain of unlocking them.

If your product is that good then people will love it and play it because they want to. EA like. Here, have $50. Wow. what a cool game! Oh wait. I have to unlock everything. Wait, didn't I just pay you? Wait. What? $50 is not enough? You have an option to PAY to unlock stuff. Here. Have another $30. While you're at it, why not have another $100! for premium Wow, cool skins. What a cool spend of $100. Huh? You want some more. F2p? What? No. I brought this game fran. It's not f2p. Yeah, yeah. Get it? You buy the game and then you have to unlock stuff. Jeeze fran! Sit, watch this. You sit here doing the same repetitive stuff all day and then you unlock stuff. It's really cool see. What? It's not cool? I, I could just play without unlocks. But all my friends have them. Look, look. watch this. You watching fran? HAHA! Did you see that fran?! Did you freaking see how awesome that was?! I.. don't know how to say this fran. I... ...paid $200 boo yeah. Who's the greatest fran. Look at my unlocks. Beautiful. Yeah, yeah, but then I won't have the unlocks if I give the money back. See fran. This is why you're over there and I'm over here. Not buts. You there, me here. I'm so cool doing unlocks. Stupid publishers think they have me hooked. Repetitive. What does fran know? Hey look, more unlocks. Hey fran....! Can you sell your car? I have to spend $300 on some unlocks. Either that or keep me supplied with food, water and caffeine. Huh? Yeah. I have to play for 60 hours today, but it's totally cool fran you get unlocks.

Nice parody Bugs  :biggrin:

For the record....I hate the unlocks and like the poll question..."it effects how I feel about the product" :angry:

Actually I don't know how much rail traffic was actually in use at the time in theater, hence my question how many were used.

As to not having anything to show for my damaged aircraft, and body, well I totally destroyed the train and a couple other ground units nearby, and managed to bag one of the 109s that were milling about, so I had a LOT to show for that mission, and it was all lost because of a bent prop?  Even though I was wounded?  Nonsense.

I think part of the problem here is that many combat flight sims - and perhaps, players - get too hung up on the concept of mission success or failure.

In ground operations it's usually fairly clear - eg your platoon has to take and hold a particular geographical area and either you do that or you don't.

In air warfare, it's rather different, and at any level, success of failure is not so cut and fast. As RAF Battle of Britian Spitfire pilot and later Wing Commander HR 'Dizzy' Allen put it in his intriguing book 'Who Won the Battle of Britain?' when talking about success or failure at air superiority level, there is no hard and fast measure; there can only be an assumption that you have gained air superiority, and that assumption could be wrong.

OK so in your terms the mission was a success. Fine. So the sim told you it wasn't. Should we really care overmuch? In the excellent and under-rated WW1 sim First Eagles, you get standard Strike Fighters mission success/failure judgements but I ignore them. If I made it back alive, good; brought my men back alive too, better still; did some damage to the enemy as well, excellent.

We don't need to get hung up on what the sim says at the end of a mission (especially if we have enjoyed the mission), which assessment can be artificial at the best of times, espcially if the sim, like some CFS2 campaign missions, has rather arbitrary mission goals; in BoS it's just somewhat more so. So what if you don't get a new skin or the ability to remove a bulletproof headrest? sometimes real life is unfair too.

It hasn't been my experience that damaging your plane slightly on landing, without more, causes mission failure. If that happens sometimes or often, I agree it's unsatisfactory and merits a fix, but it's not the end of the BoS world.

Edited by 33lima

PS in my experience, this is what usually happens, if you crack up on landing, short of killing yourself in the process - in other words, you get 50% of the points, but the mission still rates as a success. Perhaps we're describing different phenomena here.

xpost-66801-0-76374700-1419371530.jpg.pa

We don't need to get hung up on what the sim says at the end of a mission (especially if we have enjoyed the mission),

You care a lot more if the only reason you're grinding through SP missions is so that you can use the mods that you earned in MP.

Don't try to sell the unlock feature as a good idea,  It's not.  It's a terrible idea, and it creates more problems for the developer that they obviously did not consider (like the fact that default skins are summer, which means that custom skins will also show up as summer if the person viewing that skin hasn't downloaded it, thus screwing the person using the custom skin).

However, it's also not the disaster that some people seem to think it is.  It doesn't ruin the game.  But it's absolutely a really terrible idea.

Edited by BraveSirRobin

You care a lot more if the only reason you're grinding through SP missions is so that you can use the mods that you earned in MP.

Don't try to sell the unlock feature as a good idea,  It's not.  It's a terrible idea, and it creates more problems for the developer that they obviously did not consider (like the fact that default skins are summer, which means that custom skins will also show up as summer if the person viewing that skin hasn't downloaded it, thus screwing the person using the custom skin).

However, it's also not the disaster that some people seem to think it is.  It doesn't ruin the game.  But it's absolutely a really terrible idea.

Agreed, re all of the above. And I'm absolutely not trying to sell the unlocks, but being an SP only player, I tend to forget the MP side, where they may be more than the relatively minor irritation that they really represent, to the rest of us.

FWIW I think the lack of the ability to create and track individual pilot profiles, allocated to historical features, is a much worse feature (assuming the lack of a feature, can be a called a feature) than ever the unlocks could be. That doesn't ruin the game either but it certainly knocks it back.

Edited by 33lima

This, a thousand times this.

FWIW I think the lack of the ability to create and track individual pilot profiles, allocated to historical features, is a much worse feature (assuming the lack of a feature, can be a called a feature) than ever the unlocks could be. That doesn't ruin the game either but it certainly knocks it back.

I would have sacrificed every friendly bot in the mission for a few extra points even if they were named after my father, brother, and dog.

How many trains did the Germans operate around Stalingrad?   From the number of times I have had the repetitive mission to take out the train they must have operated a time table to rival the New York Central in the late 30's.

Honestly, the campaign is boring and repetitive, and some of the "mission failed" parameters are very bizarre.  You nurse a wounded aircraft (and pilot) all the way back to your base, leaking fuel and engine running poorly the whole time.  On final the engine expires, but you get the thing down safe except for a bent prop, and it says you failed the mission.  Utter nonsense.  You should get an HSU for an effort like that, returning a precious airframe that can be repaired,  not be thanked by having to run the mission over again.

It's a grind for unlocks, nothing more.  A placebo to keep us interested till more content is released.

Hard to argue with this. I have never finished a campaign in a single title, there is nothing about this particular iteration that will change this.

Well I did it. Bought the game. Haven't seen much of the game yet but visual and sound are great, I'll pick up some flight hours over the weekend.

I like what I read about the generetad missions of the campaign, I like it that there is randomness in it which should make the missions different every time even if the target is the same (eg the train). I agree that having a pilot career is definitly needed just like in ROF but in the interim I find random missions more importent imho,

I find the ' unlocks' an odd feature for a flightsim but I can't see any big issues with it. The only thing is that they can lead to different aircraft types. Like the 37 mm BK guns for the Stuka. I do believe that they more only fitted on the Stuka G model and not on the D-3 model. I can see that it would be a bad thing if you just want to play mulitplayer and be forced to play single first. But as I am totally not interested in MP it is not something that I think will bother me (the discernable reader will note that I can reverse my opinion anytime on this :) ).

Further this sim has ROF as it's pedigree and that for me counts for something, I am really impressed with the single player aspect of that game and have an expectations that BoS will improve in due time. If not then to bad and lesson learned.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input,

RedeyeStorm

I would have sacrificed every friendly bot in the mission for a few extra points even if they were named after my father, brother, and dog.

Well I'm just glad you're happy, applying your newly-unlocked skin, your conscience untroubled by the untimely death of Feldwebel Rover who laid down his virtual life that you might do so. :biggrin:

Well I did it. Bought the game. Haven't seen much of the game yet but visual and sound are great, I'll pick up some flight hours over the weekend.

I like what I read about the generetad missions of the campaign, I like it that there is randomness in it which should make the missions different every time even if the target is the same (eg the train). I agree that having a pilot career is definitly needed just like in ROF but in the interim I find random missions more importent imho,

I find the ' unlocks' an odd feature for a flightsim but I can't see any big issues with it. The only thing is that they can lead to different aircraft types. Like the 37 mm BK guns for the Stuka. I do believe that they more only fitted on the Stuka G model and not on the D-3 model. I can see that it would be a bad thing if you just want to play mulitplayer and be forced to play single first. But as I am totally not interested in MP it is not something that I think will bother me (the discernable reader will note that I can reverse my opinion anytime on this :) ).

Further this sim has ROF as it's pedigree and that for me counts for something, I am really impressed with the single player aspect of that game and have an expectations that BoS will improve in due time. If not then to bad and lesson learned.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input,

RedeyeStorm

Glad you're enjoying it thus far. Good luck and good hunting!

post-66801-0-48524700-1419292623.jpg

This thread has me Puzzled.

people say either "wait"  "not for you" "pick it up because its cheap and will improve"... and the OP gets a copy... and enjoys himself thus far.

...Huh... wtf...

we need more negativity round here.

what has this forum come to! :huh::(

:P
:)

Glad your enjoying BOS so far Redeye.

I've had BOS a few months now and I just see it getting better.

Sure SP is not the best but it is only covering BOS where as IL2 1946 covered the whole war and beyond.

So looking forward to next campaign, till then there's always MP.

I admit I didn't think I would enjoy MP, not being a glory hound and scoreboard chaser.

I find it just a different way of playing this Sim.

On another thread Devs were talking about a CO OP campaign, I said " Where do I sign up" Fantastic Idea.

Just because a few peoples don't enjoy some of the features, I'm OK with that, but surely that's down to their choice.

Just saying it's wrong because you don't agree with others opinion doesn't make you right, just that you have a different opinion.

I liked the way you made a choice to buy and then you can judge for yourself. :)

Happy landings.

Edited by voncrapenhauser

This thread has me Puzzled.

people say either "wait"  "not for you" "pick it up because its cheap and will improve"... and the OP gets a copy... and enjoys himself thus far.

...Huh... wtf...

we need more negativity round here.

what has this forum come to! :huh::(

:P

:)

Well I did feel a need to buy something.....it is the holliday season after all.

Perhaps  some of us are looking at this the wrong way. Not to dismiss or trivialize anyone's feelings mind you.. If you look at this from the perspective of the SP campaign being the end all and be all of BoS campaigns .. then yes... all the outrage is totally justified  (well the outrage is justified regardless ... but since it has accomplished little, for me it has a limited shelf life )  We.. and I mean a generic, collective "we" meaning all of us.... myself included.. need to look at this from a different PoV whether we like it or not if we are not happy with BoS as delivered up to this date .. either that or just be upset and .. be upset...  because I don't think it is going to change anytime soon. As I have said across multiple forums.. I hate campaigns. I have never ever liked them and actually this is the first one I have ever finished..  When I think SP I think single missions or QMs.  Campaigns were never my thing and being forced to engage in one in order to access things that have been standard fare in every other sim I have ever flown is not something that I am happy about or would ever attempt to justify.  However for me considering that once the ME is released and better campaigns are created you still will not be able to use the locked content in them, the stock campaign should be looked at as a means to an end not as the thing itself.. if that makes sense. Better campaigns will be made once the ME s released.. I have no doubt that better missions of all kinds will become available once the community gets it's hands on the tools and so by the time that happens I intend to have access to everything in the sim that is still unavailable to me at the moment. That is how I look at the SP campaign.. a means to an end. That may not work for some

Were it not for unlocks I don't think people would have such a strong opinion. You either like the unlock challenge, don't care or think you're money is not worth enough. I was gutted when they locked the game down. I had been so super excited with the development and then boom. Unlocks. Nooo. We paid early. Damn your coding fingers. I didn't play the game hardly at all after that till I took a deep breath this weekend and wasted some well earned free time to unlock most of the stuff. By the end it was hell. Now I can appreciate the art that is presented before me.

Hardly anyone likes the unlocks. I say hardly anyone in an attempt to be objective.. but of the folks who have chosen to participate in a poll started by Jason on this forum over 90% said they would like to see the campaign as rendered run differently .. I think it is relatively safe to say that no one likes the unlocks. Having said that... changing that may not be something that is doable for the development team at this point. The unlocks are here and they aren't going away anytime soon .. I'd love to be surprised.. but I am not holding my breath about it. From my perspective the thing that will tell the tale so to speak is what happens moving forward when new content is released.  I would be even more surprised and disappointed if the new content is implemented the same way.. I don't think it would bode well for the future of the sim if say.. IL2 Battle of Kursk had a campaign.. with a slew of unlocks for the new content... and I think.. I hope.. that the devs totally, undeniably and absolutely understand that and incorporate that understanding into their plans for the future.. but in the meantime.. this that we have now is what it is..

+1..