Sign in to follow this  
SAS_Skylla

BoS won't launch anymore

Hello Gentlemen!

I got BoS yesterday via Steam, installed it without any problems and already flew some sorties (also wthout any problems).

When I wanted to launch it again today, Steam started and showed this:

bweg2wfho9lx.jpg

after that I only get the  "This porgram doesn't work anymore..." window. I tried to reinstall, without any success: same issue as described above. My OS is Win7. Any ideas what I could do to bring BoS back to work?

Best Regards,

skylla

Hi Skyla.

I had same problem I couldn't figure it out either.

But the day after I registered and got an email confirming that, and then The Sim ran perfectly?????.... go figure.

Just think it takes a while to register??

Edited by voncrapenhauser

Well, the weird thing is: I already registered and flew yesterday! I already blew someone ot of the sky! I hope I'm gonna get that mail you mentioned and everything will be fine again, but for now ... I can't even start the game, just before it should launch I get the failure message...

Best Regards,

skylla

Well, the weird thing is: I already registered and flew yesterday! I already blew someone ot of the sky! I hope I'm gonna get that mail you mentioned and everything will be fine again, but for now ... I can't even start the game, just before it should launch I get the failure message...

Best Regards,

skylla

Oh wow that's different.

Are you talking about online here or single?

I found you have to do the early basic interception missions 1st then everything opens up. 

I'm no expert hope this helps, I'm sure some more experienced players will help you if this doesn't.

Good luck. 

I tried both online and single yesterday and had no problems with both ... and, as I said, today I can't even launch the game at all: no starting screen, no menu, nothing

I tried both online and single yesterday and had no problems with both ... and, as I said, today I can't even launch the game at all: no starting screen, no menu, nothing

My early problems were solved with a re install.

Never looked back since.

I would have thought all those problems were fixed by now????

Just had another thought.

I know this sounds strange, but have you got steam activated when you try to play?.

I think if you have bought via steam it has to be activated, I could be wrong on that.

I only had that screen you show when steam wasn't activated.

I just unistalled the game and deleted all files located in the steam folder to be sure, then reinstalled again ... same as before. I had steam activated and running during all my attempts to launch the game

Edited by skylla

Damm, I'm not sure what the problem is there then.

Think you need to contact the customer support

Unless anyone else can help?

Maybe post your thread in FAQ or technical issues section.

Sorry I cant help :(

Ok, I solved the Problem ... I used a previous system backup point to bring my system back on yesterdays status .. all is running fine again .. Let's hope it'll be the same tomorrow....

Best Regards,

skylla

This is why I avoid Steam as much as I can. I wish Steam, UPlay and Origin would just die already. I shouldn't have to log into a service to log into a game just to play it. And you have to be online in most cases to even use them. They are about as useful as a naked firefighter with a gas can in a forest fire.

Edited by SPEKTRE76
  • Upvote 1

Ok, I solved the Problem ... I used a previous system backup point to bring my system back on yesterdays status .. all is running fine again .. Let's hope it'll be the same tomorrow....

Best Regards,

skylla

Sweeeet!

Ok happy landings. :lol:

This is why I avoid Steam as much as I can. I wish Steam, UPlay and Origin would just die already. I shouldn't have to log into a service to log into a game just to play it. And you have to be online in most cases to even use them. They are about as useful as a naked firefighter with a gas can in a forest fire.

I agree I hate that steam is always running in background too but unfortunately ,....no choice.

As useful as chocolate fireguard he jokes :P

Stuff is doing the same weird things again ... grr.. but at least i know that the lately installed Freetrack software is responsible .. before installing Freetrack: everything fine :), after installing FT: BoS won't launch anymore :wacko:  ... Windows tells me that the origin is "KERNELBASE.dll" ... 

Does anyone ever had issues like that before? Is there a solution already known for this?

Best Regards,

skylla

Ok, I looked around a bit, tested, analysed and now (I hope) I can roughly say what happened:

The first time I open Freetrack, I get the Message "Software failed to register". It looks like the FT software tries to register at the KernelBase.dll in my system, but it can't (reason?). Because of that, something inside the KernelBase.dll is changed, and unfortunately this part seems to be needed by BoS, which thereafter won't launch anymore.

After that, FT has no problem with registering when launched for the second time and works fine, but the error in KernelBase.dll seems to be still there.

So here are my questions: Could it be happened as described above? And,does anyone know how I could fix this?  

Best Regards,
skylla

Stuff is doing the same weird things again ... grr.. but at least i know that the lately installed Freetrack software is responsible .. before installing Freetrack: everything fine :), after installing FT: BoS won't launch anymore :wacko:  ... Windows tells me that the origin is "KERNELBASE.dll" ... 

Does anyone ever had issues like that before? Is there a solution already known for this?

Best Regards,

skylla

I don't use free track whatever that is??

If its the problem get rid of it until someone can help you.

The only thing I have used(besides steam) while BOS is running is fraps and no problems there.

I find any other system running in background will eventually cause a crash to desktop, so I keep to a minimum.

I skylla,

i've got the same problem. I've installed freetrack after BOS. Before fretrack BOS was fine. After the freetrack install BOS doesn't run anymore. If I deinstall freetrack all returns fine.

It seems that freetrack is not compatible with the last version of BOS.

Regards

Thank you LALChaps for you reply.

Unfortunatelly I've just followed the posts you link.

Tried to download opentrack, but i'm not able to run it (there isn't a executable file in the downloaded material). Tried to change input dll, tried to change input key, in short tried all the issues but BOS crashes (doesn't start) if freetrack is installed.

After some install and deinstall operations even freetrack crashes if i try to start it.

It seems I can use freetrack :-(

Thank you again!

Hello Duccio_71,

do you get a message when BoS crashes? If yes, what does it say? What is the reason, where does it come from?

I'm on it currently, but I need to replace some .dll in the Windows\System32 folder and it's gonna take me a while, but if I get it solved I'll write the solution in here

Best Regards,

skylla

Thank you skylla for your answer and for you interest.

The first time i istalled freetrack an issue occured: something regarding the right installation an the question about a new and correct installation. I gave no substance to this message and I followed the on screen instructions to complete the installation.

When I start BOS the initial splash screen is ok, but when I click "play" the program stops working and I get the following message:

IL2 has stopped working

Windows: there is a problem that prevents the program works properly. If a solution exists the program will be closed and a notification will be sent.

(mor or less this is the traslation of the message)

I'm not able to ask more info to the system. Now even if I start freetrack I get a similar message. All turn to work fine if I deinstall freetrack. Note that no issue is got with the installation of facetracknoir (but I prefer freetrack.....)

Thank you again for you interest.

Regards

That does sound very similar to my problem;

If you get this "Il-2 has stopped working" window, please click on the "Problem details" button (should be on the bottom left of the window in Win7), and tell me the Problem name and the Problem origin (sorry, I can't translate that properly, called  "Problemereignisname" and "Fehlermodulname" in German), or send me a screenshot.

l12lc9iwlooa.jpg

Best Regards,

skylla

There isn't a "problem detail" button in the little window's message. The only button in the bottom right of the window message is "close programs". If you click such button you return into desktop. In the bottom bar the splash screen of BOS is still active and you can click it to return to the game intro window and click "play" again. And you'll get the error message again...

Il-2.exe

549beea6

KERNELBASE.dll

53159a86

0eedfade

0000c42d

ec4

01d027b8a55b5026

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game\Il-2.exe

C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

e33c68f4-93ab-11e4-b3b8-1c6f65ced91d

I did my homework! Above the error specs from the event register. I hope it will be usefull.

Thank you!

Regards

Ok, you seem to have the very same Problem that I have. I'm on a solution, but it will take a while. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Best Regards,

skylla

Yep, I'm on it Mike, I got your file (thanks for that again!) and currently trying the tricks you send me. However, my system still didn't let me touch that file. another thing making me hesitate is, that this file is a system file and I don't know what's going to happen during the replacing process.

Best Regards,

skylla

Since it's a system file, it is always recommended to keep a copy of the file you currently have in a safe place.

If anything goes wrong, you can always restore the old status then.

Best regards - Mike

I got an idea, but i'm not keen on OS so I put it here for an opinion: without freetrack installed kernell.dll is ok for BOS. So something happens in kernel.dll when freetrack is installed. If I remove freetrack all turns ok. This could mean that the "something" in kernell.dll is scratched when freetrack is removed. What about copy kernel.dll when freetrack is uninstalled (BOS is ok), install freetrack and overwrite the "old" kernel.dll?

Yep, that's excatly what I've been trying all the time. The Problem is that my system won't let me touch that file. There are some tricks you can look up in the web to go around that (neither of them worked for me before). Another problem I see and which is making me hesitate at the moment is: "KernelBase.dll" is a system file, and I don't know how a potential loss will affect my PC. As overwriting didn't work before, deleting the old one with a programm capable to do that would be an option, BUT: If this is an essential file for the OS, it may force the whole system to crash at the point when no "KernelBase.dll" exists in the System32 folder, and I can't afford that at the very moment.

As Mike said before: IN EVERY CASE you should make backup copys of your system and boot in safe mode when trying to change anything at "KernelBase.dll".

Best Regards,

skylla

Edited by skylla

It might be that FreeTrack is not working with BoS at all.

Do we really have evidence that there's any FreeTrack user out there who's running FreeTrack with BoS successfully?

If so, what was there installation procedure?

The reason I'm guessing that there might be unrecoverable issues is this:

Duccio_71 mentions that the game starts fine when he uninstalls FreeTrack.

FreeTrack seems to modify something concerning "KernelBase.dll", which gets loaded by IL-2.exe

Since it's pretty unlikely that FreeTrack applies binary modifications to the "KernelBase.dll" file (for the beforementioned reasons, it's really not that easy to modify windows system files which are under file protection by Win 7 and the like), I'd rather bet that FreeTrack hooks up some other less protected DLL which gets loaded by the games too (dinput.dll as a wild guess) and furtheron injects code into the game's process memory, hitting the KernelBase.dll area here.

That might not work with IL-2.exe.

I have just tested another application which uses DLL injection mechanism too (it's an app which can be used to manually bind another application to a specific network device, in case you have multiple network connections on your PC).

While the app works with any other application tested so far, IL-2.exe refuses to start as soon as it's launched with this DLL injector.

I've tried with a manually "placeholder" injecting DLL too and got the same results: As soon as IL-2.exe code is hooked, IL-2.exe refuses to work.

It seems like IL-2.exe is using an "executable encryption" mechanism which relocates memory contents at runtime, therefor it doesn't qualify for use of DLL injection.

Best regards - Mike

I just tried following those posts without success. Anyway even in the mentioned posts it seems that some issues occur. Freetrack is a very common tracking sistem.

I think that fixing such issues could be an apreciated work for BOS developer team (probabilly not an huge work).  What about start a petition?

Regards

Now that those suggestions for Freetrack users are based on the release of 1.005 patch, which brought back TrackIR 3 support and with it the old TrackIR protocol, maybe 1.008 broke that support of the old TrackIR protocol again?

Best regards - Mike

The solution is so simple, that I feel veeery dumb now ... just run IL-2 as Administrator and it launches without problems... silly me, why haven't I tired that earlier...

Best Regards,

skylla

It works. You have to run both freetrack and BOS as administrator. Thank you to you all.

Best regards.