T-oddball

Next Fighter for BoS

Next Fighter for BoS  

562 members have voted

1. 1. What fighter would you like to see in BoS that revolves around the battle

• I15
    • I16
    • P40
    • BF110
    • YAK7b

i16 gotta have it in this sim ..and a Mig3 . Should be something Russian or German , not American . P40 = yawn

Edited by 6969pencon

Not really interested in any of these. Im looking forward to the c202 and Id buy a p39 and an IAR 80. Maybe a p40 if it was cheap and on sale.  Thats about it though ,

I don't know why you would think the P-39 is only in War Thunder. It was a real plane in real life that fought in WW2.

The MiG-3 still kicks ass whether it was at Stalingrad or not. Just like the vast majority of normal people are happy to have the Macchi 202, I am sure the MiG-3 wouldn't send people into a deep depression.

I referenced War Thunder because a P-39 over Stalingrad as of right now, would be as absurd as a Spitfire or I-16. Edited by Silky

I referenced War Thunder because a P-39 over Stalingrad as of right now, would be as absurd as a Spitfire or I-16.

That may be true, but there is nothing to say that a new aircraft could not also come with a map that it historically flew on...

At Some point the devs will need to open a new front and to me that implies a new map.  P-39 should absolutely be a player for any new map, whether it be on the Eastern Front, Med, or Pacific.

Bf 110 would be the most unique out of these options. P-40 would be nice too and useful for future theatres.

I see no reason whatsoever to include the I15 and very little to add the I16. Unless the next theatre would predate the BoS by at least a year, which i highly doubt.

Yak 7b should be added eventually, but it's pretty close to the Yak-1. I would rather see a Yak-9 instead.

110 doesn't do anything that the Pe-2 doesn't do already. 

I guess at least 90% of the still missing planes which were present during the BoS don't do anything that at least one of the planes avaliable right now do already.

Edited by Matt

I voted for the Bf-110 because there was no other plane that was still missing in the game and important to the game. :huh:

Sure, it's the symbol of the Jg.5 "Dackelgeschwader" with a german Dackel crushing an I-16 :biggrin:

cache_2438645095.png?t=1387940462

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

Yes the 110 is the one I really miss, it would be a easy target for the yak and LA-5 and a target even the LAGG can reach up to achieve . My mention of the P-39 and HS-129 is simply because I do not waist my time in pure fighter role, it need to be objective oriented. And I really hope for a KURSK map coming some time later.

Tank battles and ground pounding with fighters on your ass :) would be nice

Oh man this is a tough call. I would love to see a 110, I-16, and P-40 all in this sim.

The marketing nerd in me wants to see a P-40, to make this sim appeal more to US and UK simmers. I love Eastern front WW2, but it's not very popular over here compared to Western front.

However the flight sim nerd in me wants to see some planes that aren't as common in sims like the HS-129, any biplane, Ju-52.

I want P-40 too

I like the P-40 but it's my second choice. 110 is number one so far at 1 vote.

@Jaws it's worth the fun if nothing else of seeing what we each would like from the choices. IF we give the Dev's a hint they take up, all good and well. If not, it's good fun.

Chief

Edited by -NW-ChiefRedCloud

I voted p40 as well, although i eat Germans for lunch in the yak...... imagine the p40 in game too, what a great turn and burner.... take the b & z away from the axis aircraft and they are in bad shape... I think the p40 would get equal footing in the b & Z dept. Very interesting scenario.... 

I voted p40 as well, although i eat Germans for lunch in the yak...... imagine the p40 in game too, what a great turn and burner.... take the b & z away from the axis aircraft and they are in bad shape... I think the p40 would get equal footing in the b & Z dept. Very interesting scenario.... 

Turn and burn is a slang term for running away, ie: Heading in the opposite dirction as fast as possible, with afterburner engaged.  It in no way describes close-in dogfighting.

The P-40 usually used to turn once and burn if you know what I mean :biggrin:

It surely was everything but a good climber and turner....makes me wonder what it actually was.

The P-40 would be the better choice, the Russians need somthing powerfull. 

But I want my 110 :rolleyes:

Zak, you are my hero.

Ok, let's dispell some P 40 myths here, and discuss the truth of the aircraft.

Right out of the gate, it was not good in the climb, it's no interceptor and was not designed as such.  To fight the P 40 properly you will need to start back from the front
(typical for now DF scenario) and gain altitude before engaging.

The P40's bad reputation in the turn, which is a falsehood BTW, was gained when it was initially engaged with Imperial Japanese aircraft. Unless you are in a biplane I can't think
of any Western Allied aircraft that could out turn a Ki-43.  Now back to European aircraft and things change, the Hawk 81 series could out turn a Spitfire at or below the P 40s critical altitude (roughly 15,000ft.), and it could out roll just about anything I can think of, till the FW 190 came on the scene.  Even in the later and heavier Hawk 87 series, the P40 was still very capable in the turn, and had roll rates of just over 90 deg/sec.  The P 40 was far from a flying brick in terms of maneuverability.

It really was not that slow either.  At least in it's optimum operating area, again, at or below 15,000ft.  At these altitudes we are talking as fast or faster than a Spit I, which
puts the Hawk in the same ballpark as most of the faster planes of it's early war timeframe. It also had a fairly high cruise speed and a longer range than it's European counterparts.

Then we get to what most people get right about the P 40, it was very good in the dive.  It's predecessor, the Hawk 75 (P 36) was the first American fighter to have
an indicated VNE because it could be dived so fast.  No, not as fast as Curtiss claimed in the oft quoted dive tests for the Armee de l'Air, but none the less it was quite good in
the dive.  And the P 40 did it without shedding parts and tearing itself to bits in the process, which lead to the next area of discussion...

The Hawk 81 and 87 were very robust airframes.  Which meant that not only could they take a fair amount of combat punishment, they survived well in less than optimum field
conditions.  True cold was an issue for the cooling systems, but other than that they were a very strong, well built aircraft, with the side benefit that they held up well
in emergency landings too.   Several VVS pilots also discovered that their very strong wings were quite good for Taran attacks as well.  Not something I'll be trying but there you go.

The Hawk's abilities also made it a very good performer in the ground attack role. The VVS had good success with the P 40 in the attack role, and it served very very well for
the Austrailians and New Zealanders, as well as the USAAF, in New Guinea as a superb ground attack platform.

Now am I biased?  Sure I am, the Curtiss Hawks are my favorite aircraft, of all time really, but, I don't gloss over their weaknesses.  They were not perfect, no aircraft was or is.  However, if you fly them to their strengths, and don't play your opponent's game, you will find success with the P 40.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Upvote 3

The P-40 was a mediocore plane by that time. It's an as pathetic match against the Bf 109 as it is against the Zero. The germans surely didn't coutn it as a threat to their latest models of 109s and 190s.

It wasn't terrible, sure, but not very capeable either. Performance wise it should be quite similar to the Lagg-3 with probably somewhat higher topspeed at pressure alt. Still not the burner some people seem to expect it to be.

After all you have to  wonder why the US retired their P-40s from global service and exchanged them to the UdSSR via the Lend-Lease Trade. It was the best way to get rid of them.

Unlike in Europe the P-40 has the advantage of being more suited fopr the eastern front due to the generally smaller and lower clashes happening there. Still it's not going to be superiour to current VVS models ingame.

• Upvote 1

From what I have seen so far it really doesn't matter what we vote for anyway

But wishing for the 110

P-40 to draw in the American market! That will help immensely to balance the teams which have most often been German favored.

P-40 to draw in the American market!

Yep.  Judging by the results of the last poll  we're simply in a hunt for dollars now.  What happened to the "we will release theatres and planes together" idea? 

Guys there's already a poll about lend lease planes and the P-40 won hands down. If the devs still head for the results of their official polls (which they seem to do judging by the latest Mc 202 screenshots) the P-40 will come anyway. It should be excluded from this unofficial poll therefore to avoid any confusion / misvotes.

P-40 to draw in the American market! That will help immensely to balance the teams which have most often been German favored.

What do you mean with balancing the teams or "German favored"?

What do you mean with balancing the teams or "German favored"?

Because the P 40 would be a popular, choice as it is as famous as the 109. Lots of people will fly it and maybe the teams are more even numberwise

Edited by Saurer
  • Upvote 1

OK, more myths.

The early Hawk 81s that the VVS got were from the RAF not the USAAF. The vast majority of P 40s on strength with the VVS were brand new aircraft, as were the aircraft used by the RAF, RAAF, and the RNZAF.

P 40 production did not cease till November of 1944. Many older P 40s in the US were absorbed into flight training units, and used for single seater transition from the advanced trainer aircraft.

Don't tell the Flying Tigers that the P 40 was no match for Japanese aircraft, their record speaks otherwise, and the 24th Air Force that absorbed the AVG kept P 40s on strength into 1944 and did quite well with them. They were grudgingly replaced by the P 51 very late in the war as most P 51s went to Europe first.  With the proper tactics the P 40 is more than a match for the A6M, the fact that you don't see that play out in sims is more a matter of the nature of the folks flying them, and the typical issues of poor mission building.

Will the Hawks be world beaters? No, but I'd take one over a LaGG any day. And, they are historically correct for this scenario, unlike the Fw 190, which has no place here, except as a money maker for 777/1C.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Upvote 2

You are correct, but the zoom and boom tactics used by Luftwaffe in this game , will be success full against the P-40 also. Like the Allied planes in game already no one can mach the 109 on performance. Witch is pretty historical.

Putting an example as the flying Tigers only shows what you can do with a inferior plane if flown with tactics, pilots and good surveillance . The Zero in 1941 was way better than anything US throw at it.  Hell even P-39 pilots had aces against Zero´s

I do not mind at all Having the P-40 in game, but for my sake I prefer the P-39. Historically wrong but I think this game can do with a little expansion in time period.

Just as a fun fact , I read about a pilot flying P-51 and P-40 for a museum in US said in a interview for Flypast, That he preferred flying the P-40 rather than the P-51 when he did acrobatics. It had a tendency to go into a flatspin, but other than that it was better at it. But that might be his subjective opinion based on favorism. 

But that brings a lot into the debate on how agile it was , I know the russian pilots loved that plane

I hear you, I'm just pointing out it won't provide the VVS with a spectatular performing fighter to face Messerschmitts head to head (even more so if we get the C version) as some in here put it to be. I'll love flying it just as much as I love the Lagg-3, even if it's not really a match for Messerschmitts performance wise.

Yes, the flying Tigers were sucessfull, but moer in a guerillia like combat scenario. Their hit and run tactics aimed for survival, not victory. It's doubtfull they couild have acchieved their records in the pacific, where clashes were much bigger and suprise attacks more difficult.

P40 with klimov engine would make nice east/west compromise :biggrin:

btw largest quantities were delivered  to USSR in 1943 and 44.And USA did not get rid of them.Those were purposedly built aircrafts for VVS.Those ''get rid of them'' might be first delivered british early tomahawks IIb.When soviets got first P40E in spring 1942 it was standard USAAF fighter in pacific.We can say a mainstay fighter plane.No ''get rid of''.

I voted for the BF-110, however since it is darn near tied in votes with the P-40. I say we get both... hehehe

On a separate note, didn't the Red Army have P-39s as well? I would rather have a P-39 over a P-40....

You guys are making a good argument for the P40!  But I still think the 110 would be a more interesting addition.  We already have a good sample of single engine aircraft.