vonPilsner

Quick start guide to skinning with GIMP

10 hours ago, =BLW=Tales said:

My skin not showing in IL2. What I get wrong? .dds extension... only show the template.

Have you followed all steps in this topic?

Maybe the size of the template? I had this problem before....

Send me the template through "WeTransfer" and I'll try to help...

Email:

mcpraxed@uol.com.br

9 hours ago, Skywarp said:

Have you followed all steps in this topic?

Maybe the size of the template? I had this problem before....

Send me the template through "WeTransfer" and I'll try to help...

Email:

mcpraxed@uol.com.br

Thank you for your answer. I managed to find the solution: I needed to flatten the image and to add an alpha layer. Now it is working. The DEVS will not include our skins to the game? Or at least an option to servers host our skns at to load it to incoming players? What is the purpose to fly with skins not appearing for others players. All officlal skins are from staffen fuhrer. I'm not a staffen fuhrer, I need to customize my skin with my markings. 

Yes in all sims I know it is that way... at least if your squad have all skins downloaded, you can fly together seeing each other...

On 12/15/2018 at 7:53 AM, pjmack11377 said:

My first paint and I owe you a beer.  Great guide to make what was frustrating to be simple.  I do also have a follow up question...how does one reduce the shine on the aircraft?  Thank you.

I had the same issue when using Gimp. As I didn't want to mess around with the alpha channel, I tried to use Photoshop CS2 (it's for free) and there the default alpha channel works perfect without any further editing. 

It seems that PS CS2 doesn't support the latest Nvidia DDS plugin, so I had to use a different one, e.g. from 

http://www.deadbored.net/qt3/DDS Plugin/

Edited by 41Sqn_Banks

16 hours ago, 41Sqn_Banks said:

I had the same issue when using Gimp. As I didn't want to mess around with the alpha channel, I tried to use Photoshop CS2 (it's for free) and there the default alpha channel works perfect without any further editing. 

It seems that PS CS2 doesn't support the latest Nvidia DDS plugin, so I had to use a different one, e.g. from 

http://www.deadbored.net/qt3/DDS Plugin/

I've found this alternative to be rather good (for CS6 to CC rather than CS2 though). I swapped to this a while ago as seemed better than the NVIDIA one to me (cant remember exact reasons) and I also seem to remember that it's last update was more recent than the NVIDIA one.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin

Edited by Oliver88

Is there a way to open an existing DDS skin and view it full color, to match color with an existing skin? Trying to make a Jasta 5 skin, and want to take pointers from some of the ones that others have made.