Sign in to follow this  
D3vil

Oculus support?

Hey all

very tempted to get this game in the next seven hours (Steam discount) but I have alot of other stuff to play, such as CLoD with the TF mod and four different DCS planes. My wallet is hurting.

The thing that would tip me over the edge here is if the promised Oculus implementation was on the horizon, as that would put this to the front of my gaming queue.

Any word on that?

I'm not sure if it's in there or even if it's going to happen soon but apparently it will happen at some point.

Ps buy this game and u will not regret it even if u have to wait a bit for oculus

Don't know about it's current state, only that there are new lines of code appearing in the startup.cfg. file:

or_enable = 0
or_ipd = 1.00000

or_lens_offs = 1.00000

They've been there for some more than a month now and I don't know if anybody had tinkered with it already.

Don't get my word on that though as I dont own an OR and haven't tested it. It's not my bad if any errors or graphical glitches might happen ;)

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Better hold of your purchase and wait for the OR support to appear.

Bought! I figured theres a good chance I would not see it down at 23.99 for a while, in any event thats a price im quite happy to pay for a wwii sim. Ive got trackir for my non-OR gaming so I'll still get value out of it, looking forward to giving it a spin. If you see me around, shout hi, unless youre flying german in which case, you wont see me until its too late ;)

• Upvote 2

The huge enthusiasm among the development team for Oculus Rift - as witnessed in many postings - pretty much guarantees that they want to implement it, imho. 

I don't get the need for OR support until OR can support this genre.

Right now, it can't support long range visuals. All of the complaints about the long range visuals so aircraft can be seen from longer ranges are null and void with OR Dev version because it is still incapable of supporting long range rendering due to its large pixels.

I hope the OR can do it, and I hope it can do better 3D than the 3D vision equipment out there.

But if it can't do better resolution to beat nVidia's 3D vision (which does whatever resolution you use, for me - 2560x1440), in combination with TrackIr5, then it is not a purchase I would ever make because it would worse - and nVidia's 3D vision isn't the greatest but at least the resolution is high, the pixel size matches my monitor's pixel size, and it is very fast.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Well said Furiousmeow. The OR isn't ready yet, no matter how much we may be looking forward to it. Nothing but time will solve this issue.

Even those of us willing to shell out coin for a developer version get a sub part experience due to low resolution and inability to see contacts (as reported in other sims). It is for this reason I'm waiting for a consumer version, that is hopefully well received and ultimately supported.

I look forward to developer feedback on the OR implementation as they are able to provide it.

Edited by Beazil
  • Upvote 1

Right now, it can't support long range visuals. All of the complaints about the long range visuals so aircraft can be seen from longer ranges are null and void with OR Dev version because it is still incapable of supporting long range rendering due to its large pixels.

I hope the OR can do it, and I hope it can do better 3D than the 3D vision equipment out there.

But if it can't do better resolution to beat nVidia's 3D vision (which does whatever resolution you use, for me - 2560x1440), in combination with TrackIr5, then it is not a purchase I would ever make because it would worse - and nVidia's 3D vision isn't the greatest but at least the resolution is high, the pixel size matches my monitor's pixel size, and it is very fast.

Happy Christmas 'FuriousMeow'. Nice to know that there's someone as sad as me, posting meaningless **** on a forum on Christmas Day. Halleluiah and God Save the Queen. And those three legs. :)

Edited by Bearcat 12/25/14 1357

I just want to point out here that I have a UHD monitor, games look gorgeous in 4k res. I've been playing ED since premium beta, and ever since I took delivery of my DK2, I can't now play ED any other way. Even with its poor res and screen door effect, there really is no substitute for feeling like your there.

Now Il2 BOS is likely to be a very different kettle of fish, because even though I personally am waiting for rift support until I start playing the game which I bought back in september. Except for joining as a gunner in multiplayer now and again. I imagine I would have a very hard time identifying and reading the instruments with a DK2. Maybe this is one of the reasons, the implementation is being held up.

I look forward to being able to try it though

i've sorta given up hope now with il2. Just purchased the dcs p51, dora, f86 and a10c modules. And boy are they fun in the dk2. Especially the f86vsMig15 duels. They have some issues with the damage model as well, but its just fun to endlessly chase the mig 15's tail.  Landing the dora is also addictive fun, with the constant wrestling with torque at low revs and the sheer terror of having the tarmac disappear beneath your dash, as you flare up to attempt a 3pt. landing.

I dont feel bad i gave il2 my money, they do deserve it for their hard work...just a wee bit mislead s'all.  Since oculus dk1 support was already in, a year ago, and they were proactively discussing it, dont think dk2 support is a priority anymore.

simming on monitors is about to be over imho.

Edited by Shalimar

Same as Shalimar. I haven't started IL2 since I received my Rift DK2 (in September), and I haven't flown a sim without Rift support. DCS and Prepar3d are just too amazing to describe with words. The fact that long range visuals are difficult with a DK2 is completely offset by the amazing sense of scale and immersion that it creates. All of the dogfighting manoeuvers that we usually do on monitor are mind blowing when executed in the Rift. I have no doubts that simming on monitors is about to end.

They need to hurry up with retail version!

My only concern is that it may increase myopia... I'm at -3.75 contacts but I've been not wearing them for about a month now with some improvement.

All about Moderation :)

They need to hurry up with retail version!

My only concern is that it may increase myopia... I'm at -3.75 contacts but I've been not wearing them for about a month now with some improvement.

All about Moderation :)

In regards to a question about eye strain, an Oculus Rift FAQ page said "With the Oculus Rift, your eyes are actually focused and converged in the distance at all times". However, I'm not sure if this means that it will not cause myopia.

Cheers!

In regards to a question about eye strain, an Oculus Rift FAQ page said "With the Oculus Rift, your eyes are actually focused and converged in the distance at all times". However, I'm not sure if this means that it will not cause myopia.

Cheers!

I dont see how that is possible considering it is less than a foot off your face... Your ciliary muscles will need to stay in squeezed position to see clear that close and that is one cause of myopia. Thanks for the info! Edited by 361fundahl

The huge enthusiasm among the development team for Oculus Rift - as witnessed in many postings - pretty much guarantees that they want to implement it, imho. 

Agreed.  I am hoping that Zak or Jason can shed some light on what is happening with the implementation.   

It is worth noting the history of endless queries regarding Rift support for BOS on this forum and the unmet developer statements fading to silence: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12576-still-no-oculus-rift-support/page-2?hl=%2Boculus+%2Brift&do=findComment&comment=215824

For those genuinely interested in flight related Rift support look elsewhere, Prepar3d is great and DCS also, except for the menu system. War Thunder dropped the ball with its DK2 Rift implementation, but at least they provided something. Though I am not into the whole space genre thing I prefer immersive dogfights with the Rift in Elite Dangerous over the monitor bound BOS, which I have not even bothered with for what must be nearly 6 months now.

• Upvote 1

Oh well, it looks like we can forget about a proper Oculus Rift support in the long term, as the Oculus Rift SDK will remove support for DX9. That pretty much kills any chance for both IL2 BOS and RoF to have great DK2 support. See there: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19489

(in brief: for a while DX9 games compiled with the current SDK will still work but with a bigger latency. It won't be possible to compile with the newer SDK though, and in the longer term, DX9 games might very well cease to work all together)

That's exactly the sort of things that can happen when one chooses to release a game with an API already more than 10 years old though...

Oh well, it looks like we can forget about a proper Oculus Rift support in the long term, as the Oculus Rift SDK will remove support for DX9. That pretty much kills any chance for both IL2 BOS and RoF to have great DK2 support. See there: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19489

(in brief: for a while DX9 games compiled with the current SDK will still work but with a bigger latency. It won't be possible to compile with the newer SDK though, and in the longer term, DX9 games might very well cease to work all together)

That's exactly the sort of things that can happen when one chooses to release a game with an API already more than 10 years old though...

I was surprised that the BOS development didn't atleast upgrade their game engine to DX10,   Microsoft will probably be releasing DX12 this year with Windows 10.   Developments have to make the effort to keep up with change, or they'll just eventually fade away, especially when the development has stated their hope to continue the development of the sim series for many years.   That said I suppose there is nothing written in stone that says that the BOS game engine can't eventually be upgraded.  They have quite a few months before the Oculus Rift CV1 is released.    DCS has been working with the Oculus Rift team for sometime optimizing their new soon to be released beta EDGE graphic engine with OR support.  DCS is positioning itself to be the go to Jet/Helo/WW2 combat flight sim.  Interesting times.

• Upvote 1

I am confident the devs will not miss the oportunity and upgrade the engine so they can keep developing OR support and with that stay competetive.

If bos makes the mistake not to stay on the VR train (like almost EVERY other simdeveloper) they will not be able to stay on the market. Once the CV  1 is out every simmer that tries it only once will buy one. Instantly:)

Personally i am certain i will not keep playing any sim that does NOT offer OR support when the OVR CV1 is out.

• Upvote 1