SemiDesperado

Hosting servers, COOP, and dynamic campaign?

Hi all. I just picked up the game but am mighty disappointed that I can't host a server and play coop missions with friends against AI. What's the deal? Is this very basic feature coming soon? It's pretty much the only way I played IL-2 1946 -- that and the dynamic campaign which apparently the game doesn't have either. Wonderful.

Thanks...

• Upvote 1

The forum is a wonderfull thing for consumer guidande. Merry Christmas btw!

Full Mission builder will be released soon as will the dserver, then you should be able to host custom missions with friends.  

:)

Full Mission builder will be released soon as will the dserver, then you should be able to host custom missions with friends.  

:)

Please expound. The servers are dead. This sim must be a single-player paradise. COOPs will be possible ala IL2-1946/ Hyperlobby? Are the golden days of COOPs and mission building never to touch BoS?

Flyby out

Hi all. I just picked up the game but am mighty disappointed that I can't host a server and play coop missions with friends against AI. What's the deal? Is this very basic feature coming soon? It's pretty much the only way I played IL-2 1946 -- that and the dynamic campaign which apparently the game doesn't have either. Wonderful.

Thanks...

i wonder, did you saw IL-2 name on game and just buy it not knowing mutch about this game ?  :)

Edited by Yakmaster

Please expound. The servers are dead. This sim must be a single-player paradise. COOPs will be possible ala IL2-1946/ Hyperlobby? Are the golden days of COOPs and mission building never to touch BoS?

Flyby out

Servers are "dead" because few servers have interesting Missions. The standard servers have simple dogfights that are not interesting to Pilots.

Why few interesting Missions? because few Gaming Clans/Squadrons have access to the beta Mission builder. there is no official mission builder yet.

so, condensed: the servers are dead because there is no Mission builder. YET. [when?!! - don't know. in the month or two months to come; speculation]

solution =

Play on the DED, Syndicate, Wings of Liberty and the LD server. Those clans have the FMB and are working on figuring it out.

The servers fill up (not enough place, full house,people in queue to get in) on Russian evenings, Europe evenings and  the US East coast is also slowly picking up speed on becoming active online.

Low activity timezones are US West coast evenings, Pacific and Asis evenings.

hyperlobby does not support BoS afaik. BoS has an ingame MP interface so no Hyperlobby needed so far. There is a BoS launcher that looks like HL but does not feature server connections.

I use it to see who is flying (player names) and to see if my favorite enemies are active :)

Coop?

Some Clans are testing Games that are called "Coop". i do not have details if those are technically Coops or if they are Coop-like dogfights with very limited planes and Mission Goals.

The Coops i have seen have been password protected, probably for testing purposes.

Hosting own game? Soon. [when??!! same thing as the FMB - waiting for official info]

No truly dynamic campaign a la 1946 available for one pilot/one squad/ one career.

Edited by Yakdriver

thank you Yakdriver, I wasn't looking to see BoS on HyperLobby, but rather I was reflecting in the many COOPs offered there. Lots of different missions (and planes, but that's not my issue here). I will check out the servers you mention (been on Syndicate and a couple of others, but I'm GMT-5 in the U.S. So I hope those servers come along in numbers and missions, as you suggest.

Do you have a forecast for the future of BoS online gameplay?

Flyby out

As soon as you are handed the Mission builder and the software that lets you run your own missions, there will be a spike on the forums concerning the Mission builder: How to use, difficult, the usual ... nagging? (didnt say it! wasnt me!)

That will last for a month, time for people to learn the new FMB.

so i would say, for Easter at the latest there will be enough knowledgeable people who are able to

-handle a Server as such,

-handle the FMB

and handle the Running of a Server/Community

Easter at latest, and the forums will be empty cuz' People be knocking each other out in missions, not hanging about this place.

If you are interested on how the FMB will work, [its different from 1946, very] - get a head start and grab yourself a copy of Rise of Flight.

Appearently that FMB is basically the same.

I don't claim to have a crystal ball, but there are some interesting developments going on right now

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12390-operations-server-ongoing-testing/

which is developed from

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=347&t=44102

And I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of server for 'persistent co-ops' similar to this to be created

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=347&t=41828

and not to forget 69 GIAP squads ongoing testing of 'BOSWAR'

many co-ops are flown in RoF so when the tools become available, that format of missions should become more popular and now with the possibility of historical/squad skins

Cheers Dakpilot

COOPs will be possible ala IL2-1946/ Hyperlobby?

The "plastered" COOP '46 style, no. This "is history".  :)

But will be possible play in COOP when Dserver and ME became available.

Just bear in mind that you will not be able to host and play from the same computer, as the hosting ability is through a dedicated server only.

The Blitzpigs are even now trying to figure out how we are going to host our own missions, as the number of guys who have purchased BoS is increasing by the day.

I don't know if enough of us will want to pay to rent a dedicated server package just to host spur of the moment sessions like we used to do in original IL2/46 via Hyperlobby.

And this of course assumes that at least one of us will have the time and patience to figure out the Mission Editor, as we all have jobs and time is precious.

Just bear in mind that you will not be able to host and play from the same computer, as the hosting ability is through a dedicated server only.

Are you sure that you can't run server and client on same machine?

Are you sure that you can't run server and client on same machine?

can you run one in ROF?

well is this RoF? who says its the same?

yes...this is an expansion of RoF called BoS , or do you think they created a whole new engine in 18 months...now back to my original question ..can you host from your machine in RoF?, i ask because i don't know  but if you can that the option should be available for BoS in the future.

I think RoF includes a listen server so I doubt there is a need... :/

Well I certainly hope we can host and play at the same time.

and imagine they know that.
and imagine they are working  on just that.

the answer is not clear.

I think RoF includes a listen server so I doubt there is a need... :/

Well I certainly hope we can host and play at the same time.

Yes, Rise of Flight had a listen server option and that is why my friends and I play it. It is coop friendly. BoS is NOT coop friendly, even once the mission editor and dedicated server package come out, because my friends aren't going to want to pay for a dedicated server. If Rise of Flight can do it, I can't see why a game built on essentially the same engine can't. And if it requires extra work to get listen servers in the game, then that is 100% worth it.

Excuse my ignorance but what's a "listen server" and why would it be good? Does it allow you to host and play a mission on the same computer?

I think is "Host a local server"... a domestic server.

Wiki

Listen server[edit]

Listen servers run in the same process as a game client. They otherwise function like dedicated servers, but typically have the disadvantage of having to communicate with remote players over the residential internet connection of the hosting player. Residential connections rarely support the upload requirements of games with many players; the typical limit is 16. Performance is also reduced by the simple fact that the machine running the server is also generating an output image. Furthermore, listen servers grant anyone playing on them directly a large latency advantage over other players ("host with most") and cease to exist when that player leaves the game.[1][3]

But listen servers have the advantage of being essentially free and not requiring any special infrastructure or forward planning to set up, which makes them common at LAN parties where latency and bandwidth issues are not a concern. They are also common in console games.

Yup, that's what we had in the original IL2, and what a lot of squads are hoping for in BoS.

The ability to host our own missions, whenever we have the whim to do so.  No rental fees, no remote controls, no server admins, just friends flying together on our own time.

Yup, that's what we had in the original IL2, and what a lot of squads are hoping for in BoS.

The ability to host our own missions, whenever we have the whim to do so.  No rental fees, no remote controls, no server admins, just friends flying together on our own time.

Exactly. It's the basis of any functional coop. It's also the only way I fly in Rise of Flight or IL-2, apart from single player occasionally. Get the guys together, open some beers, take off as a squadron, and clear the skies of bogies. Nothing like it.

no beers if you need to buy dedicated server services... no wasting of money on the beer.