smink1701

Post "Kick Ass" Skins Here

Before saving you skin you have to apply the alpha channel over your merged texture. The alpha channel itself is a grey, black and white based texture that tells your graphic program how much transparency it has to apply to certain parts. The darker the area, the more transperency will be applied to it.

Not using PS but Gimp, where you have to right click on your skin layer, "add layer mask" and "apply from alpha channel". The result should be a semi transparent texture of your skin. At this state you have applied the pha channel correctly and can save the skin.

The ammount of gloss applied ingame depends on the brightness of your alpha channel.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Yak1_NN5_1wbug_zps107969b6.jpg

Yak 1 Normandie Niemen No. 5 flown by Roger sauvage.

One odd thing with this skin though.. the nose is not showing up correctly in the sim. The nose on the Yak is not as straight forward as it appears to be but I finally figured out what the problem was. The nose on the NN Yaks was red, white and blue.. and in the skin viewer, in Photoshop and in the hangar this skin shows the correct nose as below...

Yak1_NN5_hanger_zps9bdac7e1.jpg

.. but when I launch a mission I get the red nosed skin you see in the top screenshot.. If anyone figures that out holler.

@ Bearcat every skin has 2 texture parts for propellor hubs. One for the stationary and another one (usually smaller in scale and detail) for the moving prop. You can check the colour of your moving prop in skin viewer by enabling the "Animation" function.

Nice skin btw :)

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

Oh, no! Just another JG 2 skin with the stylised eagle head!! :mellow:

Fw190 A-3 flown by Siegfried Schnell, Staffel Kapitän of 9./JG 2, France, Spring 42. Work in progress:

Schnell_26_12.jpg

• Upvote 3

Is there any section or web page where one could get all the great skins shown above from? If not one should be set up soon :-) 

Oh, no! Just another JG 2 skin with the stylised eagle head!! :mellow:

Fw190 A-3 flown by Siegfried Schnell, Staffel Kapitän of 9./JG 2, France, Spring 42. Work in progress:

Schnell_26_12.jpg

Awesome. :salute:  It was an A4 but who cares. We have F8 official skins already.  :)

Love your RLM76. :)

Edited by Bearcat
Screens with swasticas must use spoiler tag

@ Bearcat every skin has 2 texture parts for propellor hubs. One for the stationary and another one (usually smaller in scale and detail) for the moving prop. You can check the colour of your moving prop in skin viewer by enabling the "Animation" function.

Nice skin btw :)

Thanks!! and thanks for the info I did not know that...

Decided to try skinning for the first time, and came up with this fictional (& personal) one.

ogi076.jpg

2h6zscz.jpg

Edited by Bearcat
Screemns with swasticas must use spoiler tag
  • Upvote 4

Awesome. :salute:  It was an A4 but who cares. We have F8 official skins already.  :)

Love your RLM76. :)

Hi Jaws :salute:

This Schnell's Fw 190 was actually an A-3.

Less known than another "Gelbe 4 + I" flown by this Experte, an A-4, W.Nr. 746, with the same markings.

post-481-0-76088900-1419630250_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Jaws :salute:

This Schnell's Fw 190 was actually an A-3.

Less known than another "Gelbe 4 + I" flown by this Experte, an A-4, W.Nr. 746, with the same markings.

attachicon.gifSchnell's tally.jpg

Wow. Awesome. Didn't know that. :salute:

Sajnálom, rögzített...

2014_12_26_21_44_9.png

Update (Fixed position of the flag on the elevator)

http://uloz.to/xWKri4bD/bf109f4-hungary-dds

Parisek

Edited by Parisek

My first ever skin.

90% fictional and not yet finished.

bsolutely beaufitul, MY kind of skin. Did you use any tricks to get the extra amount of dirt and scratches on the plane's surface????

Hooo

easy there - easy! slow down the production line FFS...

i cannot keep up downloading!

O.o

hoooley smokes!

:D

So, I have that free version of Photosop CS 2 now, and have done a very simple thing of adding my personal number to the Yak 1, just as a trial.  I put the DDS plugin into the program, but I cannot save the work as a DDS.

Sorry for the n00b questions, but I am totally new to Photoshop, as I've used Paint Shop Pro all these years.

It's obviously something simple, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Reboot after installing the DDS plugin.

It should then be as simple as choosing "save as" then choosing your format from the drop down menu.

Some nice skins in here BTW. 

Once all the visiting relatives have been sorted, it will be time dust off the wacom. 

Edited by HippyDruid

Reboot after installing the DDS plugin.

It should then be as simple as choosing "save as" then choosing your format from the drop down menu.

Some nice skins in here BTW. 

Once all the visiting relatives have been sorted, it will be time dust of the wacom. 

wasnt available immediately to me either...

i "think" i had rebooted too.

might be worth a shot, i dunno how i "fixed" my problem with that.

So, I have that free version of Photosop CS 2 now, and have done a very simple thing of adding my personal number to the Yak 1, just as a trial.  I put the DDS plugin into the program, but I cannot save the work as a DDS.

Sorry for the n00b questions, but I am totally new to Photoshop, as I've used Paint Shop Pro all these years.

It's obviously something simple, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

If the the installer installed both the 32bit and the 64 bit version of photoshop, the DDS plugin installs on only one version. just make sure you open the skin with the version you that has the plugin installed.

There's a good chance you have "adobe" folder in both "program files" and "Program files (x86).

Edited by Jaws2002

OK so I unzipped a couple of skins I downloaded from here into the skins folder . How do I get them in the game ? They don't list anywhere ..

in the right folder, the skins/planeneme folder?

then they should appear available via the normal menues in Quick missions, single missions and unranked servers.
above the usual skin list is a new button to switch from official to custom skins.

I know they don't work in the official servers, but in third party servers they are ok.

Edited by Jaws2002

Ok newb Gimp question . How do you open up a template to get started ? When I go to open and navigate to templates there's nothing there ..

Ok newb Gimp question . How do you open up a template to get started ? When I go to open and navigate to templates there's nothing there ..

You have to unzip the file you downloaded first, but GIMP can open .PSD files (you can even drop a PSD file into GIMP to open it).

You will want the DDS plugin for GIMP for exporting: http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Edited by vonPilsner

Thanks Vonpilsner ;) Happy Boxing Day to you

Edited by 6969pencon

You can extract all of them with that ungtp app.

What is thaty.. the  ungt app? I have never heard of it.

Just going off the pace and quality of these skins, is getting a basic skin made much easier than in the old il2?

Yeah, all the panel lines, and weathering are already there as separate layers. 

It's way easy.