smink1701

Post "Kick Ass" Skins Here

I'm a complete noob at this kind of thing (RoF type skins and DDS files) but I thought I'd at least add a decal or two to the template. Not a huge change but it's a start.

post-12796-0-05234600-1419543014_thumb.jpg

post-12796-0-20390500-1419543015_thumb.jpg

post-12796-0-22295200-1419543016_thumb.jpg

post-12796-0-20691600-1419543017_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2014_12_25__22_13_4.png

2014_12_25__22_10_45.png

My favorite official skin with my personal markings added.  Having a blast playing around with this.  Big thanks to Jaws. 

• Upvote 2

Forgive the probably daft question, but how on earth did you get the official skin?

You can extract all of them with that ungtp app.

Grigoryev - Moscow early 42
new camo/scheme, removal of LaGG S4 artifacts, reduction of Paint chipping

adjusted Alpha against massive reflections, increase of "metal highlights" + fix for Gear Cover

sometime soon...

greg.jpg

• Upvote 1

Apologies to my friends in the teamspeak channel -- the complaining is at an end because I've finally finished this skin, Yellow 7.

post-22725-0-01313800-1419556512_thumb.jpg

post-22725-0-50632600-1419556514_thumb.jpg

Grigoryev - Moscow early 42

new camo/scheme, removal of LaGG S4 artifacts, reduction of Paint chipping

adjusted Alpha against massive reflections, increase of "metal highlights" + fix for Gear Cover

sometime soon...

greg.jpg

I like the scheme but with no reflections it looks like a 2d chalk drawing.

Toning down the gloss is a good idea though.  Many of the aircraft in white distemper/temporary winter finish tend to gleam with a liquid shine that is entirely out of place.

• Upvote 1

oh, there is some shine, some reflection left - i won't go back to FB/1946 days.
But the Chrome is gone... as i doubt these planes were polished.

And besides... the material used on the model ... seems ... to prevent a totally matte surface.

Still - i admit that the reflection thing must be re-learned. last time i did that was a decade ago in CFS3 (*_r.dds and *_s.dds)

matte.jpg
matte2.jpg

painting thru the night... 04.21 local.

next up... Shipov inspired, summer style skin. Back to the Black sea!

FW-190 A3 "Black 13" of 8./JG2. northern France, Spring 1942.

Thanks ! This is the one i was wishing for :-)

What's the drill with skns that are in .bmp format? I tried converting them to .dds using both bmp2dds and dxtbmp and so far I haven't found an option which doesn't greatly reduce the filesize and give me a skin that does show (with no preview in plane setup) in the game but is mixed up, with textures showing in the wrong places.

I remember reading, as a kid, that German factory paints went on fairly glossy and only flattened out after several months in the field. No idea on the source of that info anymore. Agree the whitewashes in the game are too glossy. Yakdriver, I like that second skin. Jaws, your black 13 is stunning.

Edited by HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

Thick paint creates a decent ammount of gloss. It's not like those birds were quickly paintbbrushed and shiped to their airfields, they reccieved several layers of priming, coating and painting.

WIth all those layers of paint even rought surfaces smooth out, which of course provides aerodynamical advantages (most airframes were extremely well smoothened for best aerodynamics).

It's not like a car paint, it's heavy, sturdy paint whistanding a great range of temperatures and even light impacts of objects. To me the ammount of gloss on BoS planes is some too much but very close matching to reality.

What's the drill with skns that are in .bmp format? I tried converting them to .dds using both bmp2dds and dxtbmp and so far I haven't found an option which doesn't greatly reduce the filesize and give me a skin that does show (with no preview in plane setup) in the game but is mixed up, with textures showing in the wrong places.

Post one of these bitmaps... and i'll give it a try,

Post one of these bitmaps... and i'll give it a try,

Thanks...but I can't find them now. I have a funny feeling I was doing something really daft, like getting downloads mixed up and working with skins made for IL-2 '46!! Too much 'Christmas cheer' at this end, maybe...!

That might have been it because IL2 skins are in bmp format.

Some personal skins i've been working on.

post-3376-0-89054100-1419611944_thumb.jpgpost-3376-0-81409200-1419611945_thumb.jpgpost-3376-0-55680000-1419611946_thumb.jpgpost-3376-0-15284400-1419611947_thumb.jpgpost-3376-0-93405100-1419611947_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bearcat
Screens with swasticas must use spoiler tag
  • Upvote 3

Matt, may I ask what font you used for the numbers on the VVS aircraft?

I have been looking for a good one for some time for the Russian birds.

I'm still confused. What exactly do I do with the alpha channel? I've been playing around with it and whatever I change, it makes no difference in the skin viewer. I can turn it off, on, change the opacity, change the grayscale and so on and it all looks the same -- matt with no reflection. 
Edit: I use Photoshop.

Edited by 19te.Leaf

Matt, may I ask what font you used for the numbers on the VVS aircraft?

I have been looking for a good one for some time for the Russian birds.

I couldn't find one either and just painted it by hand. :)

Thanks guys. :)

I made a few changes to "Black13". Was pretty wasted last night and I missed few things. Some stencils had wrong color (thx Yakdriver :salute: ) , the motling done with RLM75 came out looking like dirt, so I changed that, to better match the picture.

Here's the new version, but I gave it a slightly changed name, so if you want you can keep both.

Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/60bv4mcs6a6xiaj/black13_8_JG2_1.dds

New one looks like this:

fw190a3-orig.jpg

Edited by Bearcat
Screens with swasticas must use spoiler tag

Ok so why not get rid of the unlocks for skins now ?What would be the point of continueing them ? Or do you have to also unlock the skins you make up ? ;)

Ok so why not get rid of the unlocks for skins now ?What would be the point of continueing them ? Or do you have to also unlock the skins you make up ? ;)

Because none of the skins we make will be usable online in ranked servers, only official skins can be accessed.  I don't like it either, but that's how it is.

Oh so these are all offline skins?

No, unranked MP and SP. But for MP the skins got to be distributed, as you have to have them on your HD to see them. The community has to organize this.

I'm still confused. What exactly do I do with the alpha channel? I've been playing around with it and whatever I change, it makes no difference in the skin viewer. I can turn it off, on, change the opacity, change the grayscale and so on and it all looks the same -- matt with no reflection. 

Edit: I use Photoshop.

The alpha channel is where the gloss comes from.. I am not sure theoretically how it works.. I just know that is youuncheck it when you save the file the skin will look more like an IL2 skin.. I have not played around with it enough yet but I want to try to get a polished metal look.