voncrapenhauser

Plastic Modelers in the IL-2 Community

Wow, Feathered. What did you start with for that? How will you do the canopy/turret? I'll be watching this one!

Hi Sallee.  I think I'll be heat forming the canopy and turret from .5mm acrylic the same way I did the Tempest and Shiden a couple of pages back.  I'll add some shots as I go then if you are keen.  So far it's all been plastic card and car bog.  The only kit part I've used was a modified spinner from a Spitfire IX. 

Here's a couple of early shots.  Not much of a looker I'm afraid!

FirUhNe.jpg

GNhEvMX.jpg

yqp1yVl.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 4

Lovely work, Baron.My son would love that para.

Tex, that Jug really looks like 10,000lb of aircraft!

Thanks! Trumpeter did a good job with that kit, they really captured the look of that beast.

Here a few shots of the Fortress build that's a WIP.  It will eventually be part of a dio.  I'm waiting for the Hasegawa Willys Jeep to arrive which will placed in front of the bomb cart.

The crew are a mix between the figures that come with the kit, Verlinden's Bomber crew, and ICM,s USAAF Ground crew.

I've cut out the front hatch, Bomb doors and rear door so they'll be open.

It's very slow work with having to cut and grind bits off and replace it with e PE stuff.

That'll do for now, back to it ;)

Great work on that B-17 crew, that's going to be a nice diorama.

Fantastic work Fellas,Special mention to Feathered,s stunning work on those 1/144 scale kits,Amazing work,And its great to see TexPilot (The artist formally known as JG2) On these boards,A more helpful and talented modeller you could ever hope to meet.

Hey Carts!  Love all of your Alien and Predator work, top shelf. Good to see you around again!

Fantastic work on that Spit Feathered!  I think I would go completely blind at that scale, I'm already needing glasses as it is.  Looking forward to seeing how the Defiant turns out.

Edited by TexPilot

JG2?  Wow.  That means all the major league glue-sniffers from the Ubizoo have found their way here now! :salute:

Well I've started work on the big Hobby Boss 1/32 Ilyushin.  A nice kit with many inaccuracies though. Also a few fit problems, I think this one is going to put up a fight!  I've got a fair amount of scratch building to do on this one also to fix the inaccuracies. The aircraft I'm building will be an IL-2 1941 late all metal fuselage and wings.

The good:

Nice finish of parts minimal flash.

Very nice overall shape.

Smooth fine riveting.

The bad:

They modeled the all metal version of which only 200 were built. If you want a later version you will need to fill in all of the rivets on the rear fuselage and outer wings.

Again, they modeled the all metal version yet they included only the fabric covered ailerons. I will have to make new metal ailerons form scratch.

Metal version of the IL-2 did not use a dust filter so this will have to be removed from the wing since they molded it on there.

They forgot to include the reflector sight. I'll have to make one from scratch.

Rear wing fillet panel lines are not scribed. I've already scribed these in.

If you are building the all metal fuselage version it should have two landing lights. They included two landing lights, both for the left wing. :blink: 

Since it has metal ailerons it should also have mass balancers, these will be made from scratch. 

I'm doing an in-flight model so here is my fearless pilot. He just joined the Twenty Minuters.

MfACPxx.jpg

bdagwEM.jpg

itxBTI5.jpg

ipr933E.jpg

Edited by TexPilot
  • Upvote 6

JG2?  Wow.  That means all the major league glue-sniffers from the Ubizoo have found their way here now! :salute:

It looks like quite a few of the original IL-2 gang are around. Some things never change!

• Upvote 1

Hi Sallee.  I think I'll be heat forming the canopy and turret from .5mm acrylic the same way I did the Tempest and Shiden a couple of pages back.  I'll add some shots as I go then if you are keen.  So far it's all been plastic card and car bog.  The only kit part I've used was a modified spinner from a Spitfire IX. 

Here's a couple of early shots.  Not much of a looker I'm afraid!

Hilariously, I was going to ask, as a joke, whether you had started with a spinner and scratch-built the rest. Really impressive work and far beyond my abilities. Fascinating to see how you built it up. Keep 'em coming!

Your a brave man there Feathered I have done a very little scratch building myself and to say its not easy would a big understatement, I take my hat off to you mate.

That IL2 looks a nice kit Tex, the trestles under are a nice touch too, Il be watching this one closely, Keep up the good work there mate. 

Tex, I have one of those monstrosities in my stash as well. Keep us updated.

Edited by sallee

Wow looking good feathered ive never tried to scratch build a whole plane before...my hat goes off to you sir.

JG2 ( i remember you m8 :) ) wish i could build in 1/32 scale but i have not got the room for that scale that`s why i`m stuck to 1/48......

Smouch iv`e a B17 as well , its half built as iv`e a fair few pieces missing, namely most of the clear parts...

Smouch iv`e a B17 as well , its half built as iv`e a fair few pieces missing, namely most of the clear parts...

I've contacted the manufacturers a few times with bits missing from kits and offered to pay for them, but have them sent free of charge. I think it is dependant whether the kit is in production at the time.

Still plodding along with the base PE parts...

Tex, I have one of those monstrosities in my stash as well. Keep us updated.

Make sure you have some patience for the engine and cowling. I was lucky on the cowling as I had not fit issues, getting the engine in was a different story. Also you will have a gap behind the rear canopy if you build it as instructed. I solved the canopy problem by trimming the cockpit mounting tabs and sliding it backward. It's a nice kit but, it's not one of those that you can throw together quickly. It's not Tamiya quality that's for sure!

Wow looking good feathered ive never tried to scratch build a whole plane before...my hat goes off to you sir.

JG2 ( i remember you m8 :) ) wish i could build in 1/32 scale but i have not got the room for that scale that`s why i`m stuck to 1/48......

Hey Buglord! Love your work, glad to see almost everyone from the old fourm is still around.

Your a brave man there Feathered I have done a very little scratch building myself and to say its not easy would a big understatement, I take my hat off to you mate.

That IL2 looks a nice kit Tex, the trestles under are a nice touch too, Il be watching this one closely, Keep up the good work there mate.

Thanks! The trestles have come in very handy on a number of projects.

Edited by TexPilot

Didn't get as far as I wanted this week thanks to the difficulty I had fitting the engine and firewall in. They chose a very odd way of mounting it and it caused me a lot of grief. Hopefully the worst is behinf me and I can speed this build along.

Here's the engine, too bad it will never be seen. I had too remove the exhaust stacks after installing as I would never be able to mask them. Hopefully this won't cause me trouble later in the build.

BRXNqLn.jpg

I used Aires resin exhaust.

SYGJt7K.jpg

The fairing for the tail wheel extends back too far so I trimmed it back quite a bit. Some filling will be required around the mount.

5YahMDj.jpg

This is the Aires resin pilot. I had to trim the instrument panel a bit so he would sit correctly.

z9TiOsV.jpg

I used the Eduard cockpit set although not much will be visible once the armored canopy is in place. I still need to make the reflector sight.

ujAZ88X.jpg

I'm so glad I got the fuselage joined, hopefully I can get more done next week. Despite the fit problems this is till a very nice kit. The wing fit is very tight and should have no gaps to fill.

6r5GmbX.jpg

Edited by TexPilot
  • Upvote 5

Tex, that is looking very good, and thanks for the tips above. You're right about the engine, it's a shame to hide it, but perhaps more of a shame to leave the cowling transparent!

Love the Sturmy.  The single seat version always looks the best to me.  :salute:

The Defiant is going well.  I really need to decide whether I'm going to go for a Mk I or Mk II though.  Currently it is a long nose Mk II, but I kind of feel that the Mk I is the recognisable shape.  I'd be curious to hear what other people think.  Should I try for the Mk I and suffer the difficulty in painting the correct sized squadron codes, or go for the easier Mk II but have to commit to making the wing and fuselage radar aerials?    :huh:

D6zovop.jpg

nga5PcO.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 5

Quite beautiful. It seems a very difficult one to get right, judging by some of the kits there have been in the past, but that looks pretty much spot on. The answer to your quandary is obvious; make both!

• Upvote 1

Oh God, not two...  :o:

I'm not getting any younger, so if I can make just one that I can look at without regrets that will be enough.  I know what you mean about the shape.  It's very difficult to capture.  I can see a kink on the port side of the lower engine cowl that shouldn't be there.  Plus the starboard outer wing has a slightly off taper along the leading edge.  These aren't too hard to fix, but I also noticed this evening that the angle of the fuselage sides behind the turret are slightly too acute as well.  That will set me back a bit.  Still enjoying the challenge though, and its nice to daydream about other projects, now that I know what can be done.  I've always fancied the Bristol Bombay...

Oh God, not two...  :o:

I'm not getting any younger, so if I can make just one that I can look at without regrets that will be enough.  I know what you mean about the shape.  It's very difficult to capture.  I can see a kink on the port side of the lower engine cowl that shouldn't be there.  Plus the starboard outer wing has a slightly off taper along the leading edge.  These aren't too hard to fix, but I also noticed this evening that the angle of the fuselage sides behind the turret are slightly too acute as well.  That will set me back a bit.  Still enjoying the challenge though, and its nice to daydream about other projects, now that I know what can be done.  I've always fancied the Bristol Bombay...

Oh, go on. In for a penny! Bombay? How do you pretend to be able to reproduce such beauty?? Interesting choice.

Voncrapenhauser. At that scale, I hope the stereo works?

That`s some scale von.. looking great thou...

6 months to make, 1st bi-pane, 1st torpedo bomber, 1st time working with rigging. It tested my patience lol.

FAA 825 SQN HMS Victorious Lt.Commander E.Esmonde.

post-799-0-89822100-1500239540_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-41359200-1500239542_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-03673200-1500239545_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-48717000-1500239575_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-06875000-1500239578_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-03392200-1500239619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buglord
  • Upvote 6

Thought you'd gone bit quiet, Buglord! That is beautiful, even ignoring the "first biplane, first rigging" thing. Lovely work.

Heyho, nice pics. ;)

A long time ago as a kid i did the same thing, nice memories of sitting unpatiently waiting for the glue or the paint to dry so i can go on with it.

Excellent Stringbag there Bug. I like it.

Oh, go on. In for a penny! Bombay? How do you pretend to be able to reproduce such beauty?? Interesting choice.
Voncrapenhauser. At that scale, I hope the stereo works?

Lights, steering, doors, engine sounds all worked from the actual switches on steering wheel controls and pedals but sadly no stereo, :(

It tested my patience lol.

B ut worth it Buglord!  Its a beauty :salute:

• Upvote 1

Love the Sturmy.  The single seat version always looks the best to me.  :salute:

The Defiant is going well.  I really need to decide whether I'm going to go for a Mk I or Mk II though.  Currently it is a long nose Mk II, but I kind of feel that the Mk I is the recognisable shape.  I'd be curious to hear what other people think.  Should I try for the Mk I and suffer the difficulty in painting the correct sized squadron codes, or go for the easier Mk II but have to commit to making the wing and fuselage radar aerials?    :huh:

I would stay with the MkII it's such a great looking bird.  How do you make the canopy so perfect, vacuform?  Can't wait to see how she turns out.

6 months to make, 1st bi-pane, 1st torpedo bomber, 1st time working with rigging. It tested my patience lol.

FAA 825 SQN HMS Victorious Lt.Commander E.Esmonde.

Another beauty Buglord!  Fantastic!

Edited by TexPilot

Sorry to be a stranger around here been very busy with work and a remodel of the old homestead.  I've still been working on the IL-2 though. As I predicted this model is going to fight me until the end. The center wing section mounts as one unit and needs lots of trimming and sanding to get a decent fit, the wheel bays are going to be a problem too. Rest assured that I will see this project through though, I fight for the Motherland! :biggrin:  I'll have a better update soon.

Just to show I'm not slacking on this build. I've got the fuselage rescribed and all rivets restored after joining the halves. Working on the center wing section and ill fitting wheel bays. I've scratch built the antenna and tail mount from brass and also the mount since this model will be wall mounted in an in flight display. Lots of brass parts are going into this beast.

Pardon the mess. The center section of the wings isn't mounted yet, still working on the fitment. I also need to add details to the radiator as the kit part is very plain.

loXYQTu.jpg

kOTxR9b.jpg

You can see that the filter has been removed in this shot. This is a 1941 late model and the dust filter was not common at this time. Photos of the crashed "White 33" which is the subject, shows the filter removed. It also had dual landing lights and aileron mass dampers which I'll have to make from scratch.

2ITYMkF.jpg

Edited by TexPilot
  • Upvote 6

Thanks everyone :) .

Looking good tex.....

Recently acquired these to my stash... ill be doing the GMC Bofors next. :)

20170220_234700_zpsrgfuttxd.jpg

love seeing the work that everyone is doing.

Nice work on the Sturmy so far Tex.

Bug, great looking Stringy, did you use the kit supplied stuff for the wiring or use something like Ezi line?

Feathered I'm envious of your patience to scratch build mate :salute:

Here are some updated shots of the Fortress.

Interior Green down and adding the detailing PE bits, very slow and fiddly work.

The dio will be titled "Before the Fateful Flight".  From what I have found out, 'Chow Hound' was shot down over France in '44.  so it'll be depicted on the ground undergoing final arming and last minute briefings.

post-1265-0-49539900-1489227584_thumb.jpg

post-1265-0-61508300-1489227594_thumb.jpg

post-1265-0-12705900-1489227606_thumb.jpg

post-1265-0-99362000-1489227614_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Fabulous work gents.  Lovely Swordfish and a great choice of scheme Bug.  Are those streamlined raf wires as part of the rigging?

The sturmovik looks more like a full size restoration at first glance.  I'll have to pinch that trestle idea at some stage!  :happy:

Here's some more progress on the 144th Defiant.  I spent quite a bit of time on the rear fuselage to get the contours right.  Plus remade the turret ring as a 3-piece assembly.  The turret itself was .5mm undersized so I replaced that too.  I've cut the basic slots in for the guns, and will open those up properly later.  Also made a pair of later style fishtail exhaust stacks.  They were a real challenge and I could feel myself "level up" once completed as I sat back to look at them!

I also made the fillet behind the gun, and test fitted the props while thinking about scribing panel lines.  That will come later though, and I'll spend some time detailing the inside of the turret first.

XJoEuYc.jpg

ZglWFaW.jpg

Btw Tex, thanks for the kind words on the glazing.  It's plug moulded using 0.5mm acrylic sheet.  It's better than acetate and whatnot as you can file and sand it as well as polish it to a very high shine.  I usually carve the solid plug for the canopy then subtract about 0.3mm of its overall surface to allow for the thickness of the clear plastic.  This leaves the canopy a little fat all over on the outside by about .2mm and gives me some leeway to cut and polish to the final shape.  There's still some work to go on them yet, but I'll leave that until later when I don't have to handle them so much.

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 4

Quite fantastic, Feathered. The glazed parts really are something. When does modelling become sculpture?

Thanks again all... Smouch...Feathered... the bracing is a tamiya add-on set but all the elevator & rudder controls are scratch made out of electrical wiring :)

Defiant is coming along nicely i see feathered :)

B17 is looking great m8 .. I have stopped myself buying big kits now as space is a issue... 

Edited by Buglord
  • Upvote 1

Just a word of appreciation - I have not made a plane model for decades, more of a miniature soldiers fellow myself, but I do love them. Ships are also good - wonderful miniature ship museum in Chanea in Crete, BTW, if you get the chance to go there.

The work you chaps are showing here is amazing. I hate to pick out anything - Feathered's models look almost absurdly small! - it is all good, but I have a special admiration for the Swordfish.  And the people who actually flew them of course. (All bonkers).

Lovely thread - thank you!

• Upvote 1

Interesting! I do use oils, but not for whole shebang. My models ain't no oil paintings.

20170220_234700_zpsrgfuttxd.jpg

Really hope a lot of enjoyment for you... my stash has some challenging objects too as the MIG 23MF Flogger B from Trumpeter for example.

Btw. I built the Tauro model of the Macchi MC 205 20 years ago... my god, very frustrating project which landed right away on the kitchen wall

just before the final touch. Hope your model won't end up like mine...

Cheers

HI guys I’m just about to start a B-17G build. I was initially looking to go large scale and I checked out the HK 1/32 kit,

I thought yep that’s the kit until I saw the price, (£260) yikes! I therefore went to the opposite end of the spectrum and went for the new 2016 tooling of the humble 1/72 Airfix kit. As I handed over my £27:99 I was thinking this isn’t going to be that great but upon opening the kit at home, I was pleasantly surprised as for the money it’s not too shabby at all.

The one downside is that there is no rivet detail on the model at all. I understand that this is the case for all the currently available kits of the fortress in this scale.

I have armed myself with the appropriate Dousek rivet tool but was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I can find some reference materials/plans that show the rivet placement, in high detail. I have done the usual google searches but have not found anything useful.

Any help on this would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Custard

I see that Texmex is working to his usual massively high standard,Feathered is producing scale modelling goodness that would make a god weep-and Buglord is teasing us with an excellent stash,All is well in the world.

• Upvote 1