voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

Waiting for more De Lorean parts to turn up , So I was catching up on my Fantasy figure build in 1/4th scale.

Its a figure conversion with mostly sculpted Appoxi sculpt added deatail.

Never done sculpting on this scale before, It's a real challenge..

Dscf2162.jpg

Dscf2163.jpg

Dscf2164.jpg

Dscf2165.jpg

Dscf2166.jpg

Edited by voncrapenhauser
  • Like 5

That figure looks amazing VC. 

I've been having a go at making my own home-printed decals for the stencil work on the Sparrowhawk.  Turns out it is actually quite easy.

I also discovered I can use painted decal to represent raised panels on the airframe.  A light wash of artist oils brings them to life and it's a very useful alternative to scribing.

2JQajTS.jpg

fjKl6mm.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Feathered what did use you for that wash. An issue I've been having with the mig enamel washes I've tried is that they apply and dry very coarse/gritty even at twice the scale. Perhaps a good thing for a 1/32 tank but not at all what I was trying to achieve. Tried some cheap artists oils instead and they behaved beautifully but took days to dry.

Hi Radek.  I used very dark grey artist oils for the wash, but thinned it down until only barely noticeable on a white surface.  It does take a while to dry, but this is often a good thing as I get to tweak it a bit the next day.  A lot of people use a clear coat to seal it before it fully dries to continue working.  I find that is very helpful, particularly when multiple colours are being used.  That way the previous washes don't melt into one another.

• Thanks 1

Another one finished. I hesitated whether to even upload it here. The kit is such a P.O.S.I was near to throwing it to the ground and stepping on it.

The cockpit was a joke. The material of the kit is a soft rubbery plastic. The instruction manual with several mistakes including incorrect part numbering.

But the worst part were definitely the upper wing supports. None of them fit. With some adjustments and tons of superglue I somehow managed to put it together but had to use filler to give the joints some shape. All of this filling shaping and sanding I was doing with fuselage upper and lower wing already glued together. The result was a mess.

Best description of this kit would be- designed by Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Some parts were nice, and some really horrid (mainly the smaller ones).

Sorry for my whining, here is the finished thing.

Fiat CR-32bis,
"147", I/JG 138,
Luftwaffe
Aspern

1:72 AZ Model

Spoiler

chi08.JPG

chi09.JPG

chi11.JPG

chi12.JPG

chi14.JPG

cr32.jpg

Edited by STN
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well, you do make 'em look good, STN.

And they say you can't polish a turd!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The turd sentence made my day. Thanks sallee :)

• Haha 1

That's one good looking turd all the same STN.      I've had afew kits in the past that would test the patience of a saint.    Great out come all the same.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, sallee said:

Well, you do make 'em look good, STN.

And they say you can't polish a turd!

Stole the words right out of my mouth Sallee!

Come to think of it, we have a saying with similar meaning in Slovakia.

"You won't weave a whip from a turd."

There goes my theory about Walnut Whip.

I like that one. I'll have to remember that.

• Haha 3

You got me to google what a Walnut Whip is. Love Your twisted sense of humour :D

And now for something completely different...

hor00.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeredithF-act said:

Some of my models. Focke Wulf is WIP.

54512391_2222359204746992_216166590592163852_n.jpg

58453891_182514566066811_3940344550342064463_n.jpg

58825905_658750877881262_6306446967175446802_n.jpg

More spitfire pics please..looks gorgeous !!

• Like 3

My recent eBay acquisition. A 1:32 Revell P-38J from 1992. It was difficult to find the P-38 in this scale. I found a trumpeter kit out there but it's an L variant and quite expensive. At 1:32 it's quite a bit model but nothing compare to my HE-111.

This is a decent kit, fully intact with no missing bits which is nice for something it's age. Was a bit disappointed to find out that detailed engine parts agree only included for one nacelle and that the gun bay does not include any internal detail. Nice pilot model included though and a decent amount of surface detail so I'm looking forward to learning how to do a proper polished aluminum finish.

Adding it to the queue. Three to complete before I get to this one. Wife rolled her eyes just a little bit this time, LOL.

IMG_20191030_064052.jpg

• Like 3

I've been doing some of those lovely old Revell jobs. A real trip back in time.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, voncrapenhauser said:

Waiting for more De Lorean parts to turn up , So I was catching up on my Fantasy figure build in 1/4th scale.

Its a figure conversion with mostly sculpted Appoxi sculpt added deatail.

Never done sculpting on this scale before, It's a real challenge..

Dscf2162.jpg

Dscf2163.jpg

Dscf2164.jpg

Dscf2165.jpg

Dscf2166.jpg

Mind where you stick your spatula.

These bring back some memories. All out of the box except for new transfers...I mean decals when the originals were unusable.

20191030_130032.jpg

20191030_124935.jpg

20191030_125041.jpg

• Like 1

1:48 Ju 88 A-4 diorama assembled by Nezih Icoz at finebuiltmodels.com

• Like 2

Broke out the soldering iron and started on the trapeze unit.  Only 12 pieces... :mellow:

M0tBkDt.jpg

P9YWQqn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Well I've done my best on the flying trapeze insignia. However I have to admit, some things are just too bloody small.

I tried home-printing onto a piece of white decal and cutting out the circle, but the ink chipped away when I trimmed the film back. Eventually I decided to print on clear film and trim the insignia slightly wide, then place it over a disk of plain white to get the correct colour.   Bugger it. Near enough I say! I won't gloss coat over the top, so if something better comes along one day I should be able to lift it off with some tape and reapply...

B07yleS.jpg

Yes, I know there should be a half-inch yellow border to the blue disk. But just this once I'm calling 1/144 scale modeller's privilege!  :rtfm:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Well I've done my best on the flying trapeze insignia. However I have to admit, some things are just too bloody small.

I tried home-printing onto a piece of white decal and cutting out the circle, but the ink chipped away when I trimmed the film back. Eventually I decided to print on clear film and trim the insignia slightly wide, then place it over a disk of plain white to get the correct colour.   Bugger it. Near enough I say! I won't gloss coat over the top, so if something better comes along one day I should be able to lift it off with some tape and reapply...

Yes, I know there should be a half-inch yellow border to the blue disk. But just this once I'm calling 1/144 scale modeller's privilege!  :rtfm:

Sorry, did you just say “if something better comes along...”?! Nothing could be better, it’s truly amazing work!

• Like 1

Video posting time here 😁

The first dude is well known, but his work is still outstanding modell art.

The second dude with his video is new to me. check this out:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Made a prop and tailwheel out of scrap styrene.

cqTdLcD.jpg

Then lost my matchstick  :(

esYc8Rb.jpg

9SnvBxh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Slowly working on the Horten. Gotta say I am disappointed with the Eduard photoetch set. Half of the set seems to be sucked from the thumb (when compared to pictures of the real thing) and the instrument panel seems wrong scale. Had to clip it down to size to fit in the cockpit.

hor01.JPG

• Like 1

Nice work!  Are you thinking of doing it with the wings on or off?

With luck I might be able to get the Sparrowhawk finished over the weekend.  The windscreen and telescopic sight are now in place and the majority of the rigging too! 

oa91Hhl.jpg

• Like 3

Wing attached definitely. It would take insane amount of scratch building to resemble the Smithsonian one. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 11:31 PM, Feathered_IV said:

OK, done and dusted.  1/144 scratchbuilt Sparrowhawk finished at last!

ciVbtpG.jpg

aDe8moP.jpg

Daaaaamn! And scratch built too!

I’m really intrigued here by the use of home printed decals. Where did you procure the transfer film from and how was your experience with it all?

Oh what they hey. I’ll post some myself. I transferred off years and years ago from making plastic models to working with wood. The one ship model I finished I still have as I made it some 35 years ago, LeHussard. Somehow she’s managed to still stay intact after half a dozen or so cross country moves bouncing around in a rental truck! 

The three wooden boat models I made are all from Midwest kits. The dinghy I added my own little details. Fun kits. 

Unfortunately my modeling days are numbered as my hands are just getting to shakey. Hand tremors. First started when I began heavy chemo treatments back in 2014. Have some meds to counter the tremors but can only help so much so my PCP suggests I really knuckle down and try to enjoy the hobby as much as I can now as in time things will only get worse.

Oh well, such is life. At least I can still enjoy flight simming and miraculously I’m still around to do so. 

So without further ado, some models from times past...

7C0EC662-CF65-4046-A30F-35173223CF14.jpeg

B4C11C85-326B-40F6-85DC-DCEEFB4E189C.jpeg

4C077977-8C8B-4124-AE93-40645DBA810E.jpeg

AD05ADE6-01FA-4A8F-8846-73BBE0902069.jpeg

7DC5E20A-FAE3-4ECE-B61D-2DCE7459BDDF.jpeg

F9764614-9826-40D2-871B-62B96D16247E.jpeg

EA38618B-AD94-4D24-B876-75433E368D93.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Nice work. I have always admired boat builders.

Congrats on finishing the Sparrowhawk, Feathered.

Meanwhile... back on my table... 

Wish me luck guys. With the next step I will manage to create something nice to look at or totally destroy the kit.

hor06.JPG

5 hours ago, STN said:

Nice work. I have always admired boat builders.

Congrats on finishing the Sparrowhawk, Feathered.

Meanwhile... back on my table... 

Wish me luck guys. With the next step I will manage to create something nice to look at or totally destroy the kit.

hor06.JPG

Thank you!

Saaaay...is that a Horten Ho 229? Who made (makes) it and what scale? Sweet!

Looks like something right out of Star Wars!

88D36594-DA83-4A84-B5E8-C4EFE53E63D5.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle

Yep, it is the Horten. I have decided to try and go for the unpainted wood finish.
This one is the old Revell kit (repackaged Dragon) 1:72.

I wanted to wait for the Zoukei Moura one, but got this one as a present in the meantime so decided to experiment a bit and see how it will turn out.

The Zoukei Moura is way ahead of the Revell kit and definitely more precise.

Awsome boat build Born to.

I know the feeling trying to get enough energy in the tank to build something too.

I had a tripple heart bypass and have only 40 percent heart function now.

Keep up the good work there mate.

I have the zoki mura 1/32 horton on my to do list ,Ijust hope I can do it justice

Edited by voncrapenhauser
Bad spelling

FW190 A6 at 1/48 

6C0BC6F9-DFCD-42A1-A13C-91C7A50BB8C8.jpeg

F829FCE7-6666-4AEC-B01F-EA33985B7FCA.jpeg

Edited by RAY-EU
  • Like 2

I really don´t mean to criticise, but I am afraid the landing gear on the FW is attached the other way around (front to back and vice versa).

Also some minor progress on the Horten. Hope it resembles wood at least a bit.

edu632057.jpg

hor08.JPG

• Like 2