voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

8 hours ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Nice topic GN.  1/32nd ? Whirlwind ?

Hey - 1/48th - its this guy - the older Revell OG issue. I have the newer Gallery kit which is way more detailed/hi-tech, but I was up for a simpler build. Haha - turns out all the intake screens are actually molded into the surface, so some tricky masking and painting in store.....:rolleyes:

H-34b.jpg

H-34c.jpg

• Like 2

Nice.

Thought I did not recognize this as a late wessex must be an early type?? (In British service)as I thought it had a longer nose section and larger exhaust nozzel......Don't quote me, I could be wrong as I am no expert on whirlybirds the last one I built was the old Matchbox(now Revel) 1/32nd Puma.

But cool build so far GN.

Edited by voncrapenhauser
  • Like 1

Well all done for this one. Iv`e still the rigging to put on but cant do that until iv`e got the Grant on the trailer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

That's a nice job, that's the thunder model kit right? Gives me inspiration to finish off my bergepanther, I like the maintenance recovery stuff. 

Got the famo halftrack and trailer tamiya kit as well but want the dragon wagon, and scammels to add to the stash 

Nearly done - Wingnut Wings Gotha G.1 .Sort of looks a little "Steam-punk" doesn't it?

IMG_5754_edited-1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tyberan yes it is Thunder Models.....

Blitzen that`s a beauty m8.

17 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Nearly done - Wingnut Wings Gotha G.1 .Sort of looks a little "Steam-punk" doesn't it?

Very nice - are you using Easy Line for rigging?

IMG_5753_edited-1.thumb.jpg.ef7a3183ce4602c5eb5d4f64838115e2.jpg

1 minute ago, gn728 said:

Very nice - are you using Easy Line for rigging?

Yes ...definately.My fingers got tired of drilling rigging holes quite a while ago.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:47 PM, Buglord said:

Well all done for this one. Iv`e still the rigging to put on but cant do that until iv`e got the Grant on the trailer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

I wasn't in WW2 but that thing is giving me flashbacks to driving the 5 ton tractor and goose neck while I was on loan to the permanently undermanned 88M section in my company. I can hear those chains rattling and those ramps squeaky hinges as they fall. I am imagining the hassle of getting all the BII laid out for inspection in the motor pool. 

Excellent work 👍

• Thanks 1

Monumental piece of work, Buglord. 

Feathered- very interesting subject... and insane as usual :)

Meanwhile... a bit of progress on my barrell shaped object.

fb06.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Blitzen. What a beauty! First built one I've seen.

STN. Very lovely as usual. Real production line there!

3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Yes ...definately.My fingers got tired of drilling rigging holes quite a while ago.

So - lol - just guessing the DH2 is not next up.....

On 9/23/2019 at 1:07 AM, Blitzen said:

IMG_5754_edited-1.jpg

Steam punk or Dastedly and Muttlys "catch The pidgeon"._._._.I love it!

I just hope I am not The only one old enough to remember that old cartoon sieres.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Steam punk or Dastedly and Muttlys "catch The pidgeon"._._._.I love it!

I just hope I am not The only one old enough to remember that old cartoon sieres.

Don’t worry, you’re not. And it very much is :)

• Upvote 2

Loved the cartoon as a kid :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoots said:

Don’t worry, you’re not. And it very much is :)

Ditto!

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone :) now working on the Grant ..... Its a Miniart with 1110 parts ha ha ha Tracks alone are 632 parts.... :o:... but ive done them already and they are fully functional.. im quite impressed how well they work.

Smashing work everybody.  Really amazing stuff   :good:

The microhawk is coming along.  I've got a public holiday/long weekend here, so I'm pushing through with a will.  Getting ready to start on the 3-colour USN scheme as we speak. 

lWCRyKg.jpg

A2fyOXc.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Finito. As usual, with a lot of mistakes. Overall a nice little kit which leaves a lot of space for DIY corrections/improvments. Some of them I did, some I did not have the will to do.

F3F2 (BuNo 979)
2-MF-10, USMC VMF-2, Captain Carson A. Roberts

1:72 Special Hobby

fb08.JPG

fb09.JPG

fb10.JPG

fb11.JPG

fb12.JPG

fb15.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Quite amazing, Feathered.

STN, any mistakes very well hidden! 

• Thanks 1

That looks just perfect to me STN.  The colours look spot on.

I'm not 100% happy with mine, and I worry the red is too dark and the grey too light.   It was a tricky masking job too, and not one I'm looking forward to repeating.  Insignia is going to be a problem too and I have to make them by hand.  :unsure:

72Ih9mW.jpg

uQhoX6n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

STN - That is a beauty...

Feathered - coming along nicely - lol, guessing your optivisor is of the highest quality....

Posted (edited)

Finally finished something, so I get to post 😄

1/72 Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I

3.jpg.8102be47a6a81809e80ba06b099c8160.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by SvAF/F16_radek
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

I remember that Fury kit well from when I was young.  It still stands up really well. 

The sparrowhawk is such a gaudy little nugget.  I can't get decals for it in 1/144 so I have to make them, painting plain film and cutting them out and applying in layers.

Need to touch up the red and add the dots at the centre of each star.  Also must start thinking about cockpit detail...  :unsure:

uR1qDZl.jpg

RQBrTe5.jpg

2TW3Ekp.jpg

DaA7BhU.jpg

• Like 5

My hands are shaking just thinking about how small those details are.

1:32 is hard enough. For these unstable hands. Very impressive work.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I remember that Fury kit well from when I was young.  It still stands up really well. 

I think it does. I’m sure more modern kits ad surface details and perhaps easier wing assembly, but this build was enjoyable and there’s no doubt the small plane decorating my desk is a fury. All I need.

Feathered how do you even paint a model this small without an out of scale spray pattern (grain) all over? Quality airbrush or a magic paint formula? And do you have any giant scale (1/72) work uploaded somewhere we can see? I'm Guessing a 1/72 model from your workbench would look indistinguishable from the real thing :)

Edited by SvAF/F16_radek
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, SvAF/F16_radek said:

Feathered how do you even paint a model this small without an out of scale spray pattern (grain) all over? Quality airbrush or a magic paint formula? And do you have any giant scale (1/72) work uploaded somewhere we can see? I'm Guessing a 1/72 model from your workbench would look indistinguishable from the real thing :)

I haven't made a 1/72 scale kit in more than 30 years :blush:

I've got a few 1/32 kits stockpiled though (I'm a person of extremes).  If I hook into them I'll be sure to post some shots.

With painting, I use an inexpensive Chinese double action airbrush that I got on ebay for about $30.  I use a .3mm needle and wherever possible use lacquers rather than acrylics.  I usually spray with the paint thinned way down and also use some retarder in the paint to slow it down further so that the paint is still wet by the time it lands.  For the Sparrowhawk I've been using Mr Color Levelling Thinner for the first time and it has been fantastic.  It mixes both lacquer and acrylic too, which is crazy.

I spray outside, as I find there is much less ambient dust around.  Plus I always prime and wet sand with 1200 grit beforehand.  It's good to avoid spraying towards wingroots and such as much as possible, to avoid overspray settling on the surface and causing grittiness.  Also using a quick on-off motion with every pass of the airbrush rather than waving it over the surface continuously.  I also spray with the nozzle of the airbrush very close to the model surface and use very rapid strokes to avoid pooling or dust.

I was able to get the red dots on today.  Some decal film was painted in XF-7 and a quick circle punch made by sharpening the inside of an appropriate bit of brass tube.

zSDxDYt.jpg

A quick dunk into water...

xmLxdor.jpg

Ta da!  I'll never fear running out of US insignias again.  :happy:

The whole thing looks pretty garish for now though and I'll have to tone it down later once the other details get added.

gVmT8Er.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Added some more details.  Test fitted a new set of wheels, data plates and struts etc. with more to come. The black pinstripes either side of the red bands is made from scrap decal material, cut to 0.15mm wide.  It nicely covers that slightly fluffy edge to the red!  :happy:

6Tl9r9Y.jpg

VSRq0fZ.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welll - for a few reasons - My H-34 build went South. I could have started over with the much better Gallery kit I have of it, but no, lol, went another way.....

Tub.jpg

Tub1.jpg

Tub2.jpg

• Like 3

New here and just now found this topic so I will share some of my past and current work. Mix of 1/72, 1/48,and 1/32

IOH3aLA.jpg

KDnn5c0.jpg

xjPyz30.jpg

YYy5PIA.jpg

NtMJgFZ.jpg

TiQLu0S.jpg

1TCYcvt.jpg

YvBC2eD.jpg

FB_IMG_1568604565134.jpg

Currently working in Tamiya 1/48 P-47

hca98b38.jpg

And cannot forget my 1/32 Wingnut Wings Gotha. Hope they will release this kit again some day.  

hebc102a.jpg

hbb45882.png

Edited by AKA_Big10
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Nice colletion big 10. Have not s een a big F14  in a while.

It's Tamiya 1/48th and a very very good kit.  Thanks. 

21 hours ago, gn728 said:

Welll - for a few reasons - My H-34 build went South. I could have started over with the much better Gallery kit I have of it, but no, lol, went another way.....

Tub.jpg

Tub1.jpg

Tub2.jpg

Hasegawa P-40?

2 hours ago, AKA_Big10 said:

Hasegawa P-40?

Yep - 32nd E

• Thanks 1

Here's a progress update on my IL-2 single seater. I'm using the game as my primary reference except for feature such as open hatches and engine details which, of course, aren't shown in-game.

It's a 1:32 Hobby Boss kit and has great detail but I'm experimenting with adding additional features. I'm start, as is standard with the cockpit.

The main detail I wanted to add was the cables that wind around the trim crank and run up the left side of the cockpit, seen here, top middle:

20191005081452_1.thumb.jpg.35fd741f2dfd015524843e23bb9e48a1.jpg

The kit includes the crank already with good detail:

IMG_20191016_182559.thumb.jpg.3394eade7dba217488f35587bfd03cb7.jpg

I used 0.2mm copper wire that I salvaged from an old toy DC motor, stretched some sprew to make small pegs to stand in for pulleys and ran the wire as close as possible to where it should be:

IMG_20191016_183549.thumb.jpg.95c8a1ab48b53def4b2f4d0ee5f3df71.jpg

IMG_20191016_191504.thumb.jpg.a1c314fa22af8d8907b119d945eb2f83.jpg

IMG_20191016_191533.thumb.jpg.408680fc7b5ae300e67308dad0a9f4d6.jpg

Added some 0.5mm lead wire for the fuel lines:

IMG_20191016_192819.thumb.jpg.bdc79dd202ba6a37969fbb406991e87f.jpg

And here it is with some other parts dry fit.

IMG_20191016_192847.thumb.jpg.7dd366ed349adcf172c6414995c3ae5b.jpg

IMG_20191016_193050.thumb.jpg.276c77c150b232e95c3350f76eeef7c6.jpg

I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out but I couldn't quite get the red wire as taught as I would like it to be. I think I'll try to make it tighter now that all glue is fully cured but it's solidly in the good enough camp. Not everything is quite to scale but we're talking fractions of millimeters here so again, good enough. I'm no Feathered_IV. I can't work on atomic scales. 😜

I think it'll look great once it's all painted but for now I've started assembling the engine and researching where to add wires n' tubes.

IMG_20191007_070514.jpg

• Upvote 2

Wow that Gotha looks great. It's a big kit I saw one at a model show this year. I've got one WnW kit, they are nice but so expensive.