voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

Good stuff, Pfrances. I wish my return to modelling had been as successful!

4 hours ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Ditto....Nice weathering.

That car looks so cute Wingless ...what is it? ...Nice!

Prety cool Erla too Pfrances ,..not bad after a 12 year break ...I like a lot.

Its a japanese 4x4 light vehicle type 95 thanks @voncrapenhauser

Upper wing attached... multiple times.

Rigging done... multiple times.

Floats attached... multiple times.

I don't dare to breathe near the damn thing 😅

da06.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phew! Done.

Nakajima E8N1 Type 95 "Dave"

cruiser Nachi

Yellow sea

1:72 RS Models

da07.JPG

da08.JPG

da09.JPG

da10.JPG

da11.JPG

da12.JPG

da13.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Hey all - I've seen some Sci-Fi here so I guess its OK. Mainly because its the most recent - The Vandal From The Dark....

but - lol -  I don't neglect the rest..

Vandal.jpg

Jack.jpg

• Like 7

Posting the pics before the decals since it has swas*icas. Ill probably post later with decals when i can shop them out

20190831_031109.jpg?width=1664&height=93

20190831_023534.jpg?width=1664&height=93

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Another nice little bird on the table :)

fb00.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Great work everyone, some good stuff i see, progress on the scammell has been slow on and off but i`m nearly there... Von bet that jag cost a few quid.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:43 AM, STN said:

Phew! Done.

Nakajima E8N1 Type 95 "Dave"

cruiser Nachi

Yellow sea

1:72 RS Models

Nice work, I've always liked those Japanese sea planes.

On 9/4/2019 at 12:45 AM, Buglord said:

Great work everyone, some good stuff i see, progress on the scammell has been slow on and off but i`m nearly there... Von bet that jag cost a few quid.

Yes those De Agostini kits are not cheap as a partwork but are cheaper if you can buy kit all in one.

Liking the BSG. Raider and a Raiden if I am not mistaken GN ?

Nice 110 too good work.

You do like your barrel shaped Fuselages STN? Great work.

Edited by voncrapenhauser

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, voncrapenhauser said:

Liking the BSG. Raider and a Raiden if I am not mistaken GN ?

Hey thanks - yah the 72nd duo Cylon pack, and the 32nd Hasegawa Jack, here's the Cylons buddy - just little guy's...

Buddy.jpg

cocktail.jpg

• Like 2

Aaaand - one more recent.......

Jug.jpg

Jug2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Pfwoar!!!  

Haha Feathered - dunno if that's meant for me - but if so....Thanx!

• Haha 1

It was!  Although I just scrolled up and remembered that STN has finished his beautiful E8N too, so you may have to share. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ohstopitu.jpg

How is that gorgeous WW1 bird of Yours coming along, Feathered?

Been some time since we saw the last few pictures. It seemed like it was about to be finished in a few days back then.

gn728: Can we see some more of the Raiden? Looks fantastic, very precise.

10 hours ago, STN said:

gn728: Can we see some more of the Raiden? Looks fantastic, very precise.

OK - haha - since you insist.....

Jack1.jpg

Jack2.jpg

Jack3.jpg

Jack4.jpg

What the Hell - how about a Viper - that did not serve on the Galactica....

IMG_20180725_214009817.jpg

Viper2.jpg

Viper3.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, STN said:

How is that gorgeous WW1 bird of Yours coming along, Feathered?

Been some time since we saw the last few pictures. It seemed like it was about to be finished in a few days back then.

Still not finished yet.  I've taken a slight detour again, as the 1/144 club I belong to is doing a group build with a Between the Wars theme.  For the moment I'm taking a break from the Fe2 and doing a Curtiss Sparrowhawk.  I actually started it 22 years ago, and its been languishing in the bottom of an old biscuit tin ever since.  The GB goes until the end of November, so if I get a wriggle on I might just get it finished at long last.

Here's how it last looked.  Pretty rough!  :unsure:

file.php?id=16322&mode=view

I didn't have very good references back in the day.  I've since managed to get much better drawings and started taking measurements to check for accuracy.  The side view was good and just needed a few corrections.  Plan view was terrible though with fuselage much too wide.  Some trimming occurred.

file.php?id=16336&mode=view

New tail an rear decking.  New side fuselage and much narrower profile.

file.php?id=16379&mode=view

Over the last few weeks I sanded everything smooth and masked up the wing ribs so they could get sprayed with a coat of primer for thickness. 

file.php?id=16497&mode=view

After unmasking the lines of paint can get sanded and polished back to blend them in.  Still very much a work in progress, but its definitely coming along.  I feel like I owe it to my younger-self to finally get it done!  :happy:

file.php?id=16501&mode=view

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

That Raiden really is something, gn728. 

Lovely work as usual, Feathered.

• Like 1

Ditto x2.

23 hours ago, sallee said:

That Raiden really is something, gn728. 

Lovely work as usual, Feathered.

Edited by voncrapenhauser
  • Like 1

After a long hiatus I'm finally getting back into modeling.

I went ahead and ordered an airfix P-40B kit, I've heard some good things about it so I figured it'd be a good start.

963675-16559-53-720.jpg

Seeing as I'm starting from scratch I need some recommendations on some tools that I might need when modeling.

Airbrush/compressor is an obvious one, I've always painted models by hand but I'd like to get into using an airbrush for the better finish. I'd like something affordable but that will last or at least is decent quality, I can always upgrade later.

I'd also like some recommendations for other tools, especially for the finer details like rivets, panel lines, etc.

Any recommendations?

I'm going all out for this kit and I probably won't start it for a few more weeks but I figured I'd go ahead and gather all my tools/supplies in the time being.

19 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I'd also like some recommendations for other tools, especially for the finer details like rivets, panel lines, etc.

• Hey Legioneod - great you're getting back into it.
  • As far as an airbrush,  first you'll want to know if you want something basic/single action like a Paasche or Badger. Double action literally tons of choices. Iwata is a good brand but everyone has they're favorites. I use a Grex and a Badger 360.
  • As far as tools etc there are tons of books /videos but I saw this on YouTube, and maybe it'll help as a start.....
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=501bmHBi2ME

20 hours ago, Legioneod said:

For a good basic primer I think you'd like this. Not expensive, probably still available from Osprey, Brett Green knows his stuff...

Book.jpg

I think it's worth looking at some of the stuff on You Tube. I have found scale-a-ton really helpful and inspirational. He also makes some good comments about equipment, including airbrushes.

Feathered ... Very Impressive ...

gn758... The Raiden is very cool but that Viper is the dogs Bo**ocks m8 .... :good:

Legion... spend a good time spraying on anything except your model until you get used to the airbrush. :)

• Thanks 1

Got a few more hours in and made the Sparrowhawk's Wright 9-cylinder engine to the point where I can dry fit the parts together.

The central boss was turned up out of a solid disk of 3mm styrene.  After that I made a 9-segment setout in photoshop and printed it out. This was stuck to the remaining styrene sheet and a .7mm hole drilled precisely at its centre. A bit of rod was jammed up the hub's backside and pushed into the hole at the centre of the template. I made sure it was firm but rotated smoothly.

I measured one of the segments of the wedge shaped cutouts and scored this on another bit of plastic that was positioned over the hub and secured with bulldog clips. Pretty rough, but it did the job.

IMG_6174.thumb.JPG.abe6a24fbafbc7958ff6717d009832e6.JPG

Using a sharpened needle, I was able to use the guide to mark the top and bottom of each cutout with a little countersunk mark. After each one, the hub was rotated and the action repeated. After doing each segment I could then take the hub off the template and drill a hole at each end. A .2mm hole at the inner, and a .5mm at the outer edge.

IMG_6176.thumb.JPG.5056d97a98f44492e92cb7d2d6210787.JPG

After that a fresh scalpel blade was used to "join the dots" and cut a Vee out of the plastic between each pair of holes. The needle was used to dig some of the plastic out too, and was often used to burnish the edges into shape. The resultant hub is pretty tiny. Only about 4.8mm across. I may go back later and fuss over it a bit more, but that will do for now.

IMG_6186.thumb.JPG.e63e76c930533b5739c7ebc80c4c9f27.JPG

A master was made for one of the cylinders then cast.  The R-975 engine has offset "branching" cylinder heads so I used a couple of different diameter rods to achieve this.  It's pretty small, but you do notice it.  The hub was drilled around the outside so the cylinders could be pushed in for a bit of a test fit and photo opportunity.  The brass cowling is the one I made 22 years ago and still hope to retain.  Pretty much for nostalgia if nothing else!

IMG_6298.thumb.JPG.658df727dae12c43b823b4816592a929.JPG

IMG_6302.thumb.JPG.4fd9590a822d54091e41fe15477126ec.JPG

IMG_6300.thumb.JPG.993217b2789a3949016ca2c1188ecfbb.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Got a few more hours in and made the Sparrowhawk's Wright 9-cylinder engine to the point where I can dry fit the parts together.

The central boss was turned up out of a solid disk of 3mm styrene.  After that I made a 9-segment setout in photoshop and printed it out. This was stuck to the remaining styrene sheet and a .7mm hole drilled precisely at its centre. A bit of rod was jammed up the hub's backside and pushed into the hole at the centre of the template. I made sure it was firm but rotated smoothly.

I measured one of the segments of the wedge shaped cutouts and scored this on another bit of plastic that was positioned over the hub and secured with bulldog clips. Pretty rough, but it did the job.

IMG_6174.thumb.JPG.abe6a24fbafbc7958ff6717d009832e6.JPG

Using a sharpened needle, I was able to use the guide to mark the top and bottom of each cutout with a little countersunk mark. After each one, the hub was rotated and the action repeated. After doing each segment I could then take the hub off the template and drill a hole at each end. A .2mm hole at the inner, and a .5mm at the outer edge.

IMG_6176.thumb.JPG.5056d97a98f44492e92cb7d2d6210787.JPG

After that a fresh scalpel blade was used to "join the dots" and cut a Vee out of the plastic between each pair of holes. The needle was used to dig some of the plastic out too, and was often used to burnish the edges into shape. The resultant hub is pretty tiny. Only about 4.8mm across. I may go back later and fuss over it a bit more, but that will do for now.

IMG_6186.thumb.JPG.e63e76c930533b5739c7ebc80c4c9f27.JPG

A master was made for one of the cylinders then cast.  The R-975 engine has offset "branching" cylinder heads so I used a couple of different diameter rods to achieve this.  It's pretty small, but you do notice it.  The hub was drilled around the outside so the cylinders could be pushed in for a bit of a test fit and photo opportunity.  The brass cowling is the one I made 22 years ago and still hope to retain.  Pretty much for nostalgia if nothing else!

IMG_6298.thumb.JPG.658df727dae12c43b823b4816592a929.JPG

IMG_6300.thumb.JPG.993217b2789a3949016ca2c1188ecfbb.JPG

As always, simply incredible!

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

My question is: What is actually the size of the match?

Match size.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Well the long road has ended for this one still got to make the grant that will be going on the trailer & the desert base for it all..... Ill start off with the unit.

1/35  Scammell Pioneer TRMU-30. 1st Armoured Division North Africa 1942. 650 Parts to this and the trailer + the few bits i added to it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 6

Jesus that's a beautiful model. Very very very well done.

Thank You for your kind words....I really enjoyed building this even with the nano parts i had to deal with. :)

Now for the Trailer...

TRCU30 Trailer 30t.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Weathering game is 100% on point. I'm going to need to up my game!!  😍

Edited by pfrances
  • Thanks 1

OK - lol - you guy's inspired me - had stepped away for a bit when I realized this guy was going to need quite a bit more attention than I thought - but now back to work.....

H-34.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Nice topic GN.  1/32nd ? Whirlwind ?

Wessex or H-34 depending on who's flying it