voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

Started another odd bird. This one should be much easier.

sc00.JPG

• Like 1

You do pick some esoteric subjects! No idea what it is but it’s another that looks lovely :)

Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf-109 E-4 with Techmod decals

I accidentally broke some of the more delicate decals and parts, but overall I’m really happy with how it turned out.

B51763FC-055F-431B-9BBA-DDF0686E6894.thumb.jpeg.81c462d63d4bc867baf7e5f20a92d114.jpeg

F801C066-304C-4922-BD31-8B3C63AE6366.thumb.jpeg.b9586b1fd05b042f831b6642b56d6701.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Nice work on the stippling on the fuselage.  I like it a lot.

That's Helmut Wick's aircraft isn't it?  I think he may have killed a relative of mine.

Edited by Feathered_IV

18 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Nice work on the stippling on the fuselage.  I like it a lot.

That's Helmut Wick's aircraft isn't it?  I think he may have killed a relative of mine.

Thanks! Yep, it’s Wick’s aircraft as it was in October 1940.

Sorry to hear of your relative. It’d be interesting to hear more about them.

4 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Thanks! Yep, it’s Wick’s aircraft as it was in October 1940.

Sorry to hear of your relative. It’d be interesting to hear more about them. 

Yeah, there's not much that I know beyond a conversation I heard when I was very young.  I'm guessing it was Hubert Adair, as my grandmother was talking about someone in the family who flew in the BoB and was killed.  The only clue was the last name which is relatively uncommon, and she said his nickname was "Bertie, where's your horse?" because he was so into riding.  I've never followed up on family history as we lost contact with our lot after emigrating, so it will probably remain a mystery.  I looked up Hubert though, and he was a Hurricane pilot who was credited as being shot down and killed by Helmut Wick.  A flamer too, poor bugger.  :(

This build is a breeze compared to the previous one :)

sc04.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just finished the big 1/24th scale Ju-87D with a 28" wingspan(!) I did say BIG! I'm generally positive about the results although I must say for the price it doesn't quite measure up to its previous Messerschmitts ,Spitfires & Hurricanes or for that matter the 1/24th scale Airfix Ju-87B.It has the feel of being scaled up from a 1/32nd kit or maybe even a 1/48th version ( the same as the 1/24th scale Swordfish of a few years back...) It all fits together all right but there is a bit of gap filling necessary esp around the fuselage.It lacks quite a bit of interior detail & exterior modelling we have come to expect.The engine is completely sealed off with no chance of seeing the work that goes into building it. The instruction book is adequate but lacking in most painting instructions and the decal sheet offers only two variations on the Stuka theme & neither is very interesting , to me, visually...Finally the kit includes parts for three different payloads including the cannon packing G model BUT there are several missing parts most notably dive brake supports ...I don't know why they are missing from the kit & the instruction sheets(?)

BUT it is the Dora & that has a real attraction I couldn't pass up! I got the kit at a pretty good discounted price which helped BUT after buying after market CAM decals to supplement the kits paltry ones ,the Montex X supermasks for the fuselage snake , paint colors i didn't have on hand, and finally safety harnesses ( because they weren't included in the kit , the total price had gone into the red zone. You go to hell in small steps,I guess...

So I guess you could say this offers real possibilities for those modelers who want to super-detail & have those sorts of abilities...I don't so this is a straight from the box build, with apologies to the Berta stuka that originally had these markings.i stole the idea from a skin found here in Battle of Stalingrad ...

2019_7_28__20_30_5.jpg

2019_7_28__20_30_13.jpg

IMG_9469e_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9474e_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9484e_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9486e_edited-1.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
misspelled words
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I'm just about to start the 1/24 bubble canopy typhoon. I find that modelling is a great extension to our sim flying. building a model and then being able to fly the exact bird (even more so in VR..build a spitfire etc then fly it..amazing) is something I could have only dreamed of as a boy. I encourage anyone who has yet to have a go at modelling to give it a bash, nothing big or fancy just build something you love.  for those with kids its a great bonding experience on cold wet rainy days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I just bought the 1/24th Typhoon car door version( always a favorite of mine..) and I must admit it looks a bit daunting....You’ll have to report on your build..

• Upvote 1

Another short run finished.

Short S.1 "Cockle"

1:72 Avis

sc06.JPG

sc07.JPG

sc09.JPG

sc10.JPG

Short-Cockle-S1-Flying-Boat-Large-Vintage-Photo.jpg

shorts1-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 8/12/2019 at 4:16 PM, Blitzen said:

I just bought the 1/24th Typhoon car door version( always a favorite of mine..) and I must admit it looks a bit daunting....You’ll have to report on your build..

I always liked the car door version. Quite tempted myself.

8 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Doing chipping is a lot of work 🙁 

IMG_20190814_221208.thumb.jpg.5877c37bbcf2fdcbcfebd66eeaf99ad9.jpg

Mhm, yes, I know that - it's coming nicely.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:18 PM, Finkeren said:

Doing chipping is a lot of work 🙁 

Tell me about it, still loads to do, just bought some real chain for all the rigging stuff & im still deciding on a Valentine ,a Grant, maybe a churchill mk 3 from el alamein ,AFV make a nice kit so still thinking what to put on the trailer.

20190815_235308.jpg

20190815_235332.jpg

20190815_235346.jpg

20190815_235430.jpg

20190815_235442.jpg

20190803_024332.jpg

20190803_024352.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

What a monster. Good job, Buglord.

Cockpit finished. Just did not get the green colour quite right.

da01.JPG

• Like 1

Sweet wear and tear on the scamel there Bug . My E type is finaly finished excepting a replacement part thats in the post.Pictures to follow when its all done. Next project allready started is 1/8th Back to The Future De Lorean._._._ Allready have lots of mods for this one._._.Pictures soon too.