voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

Some shots from my Yak-9k,build a few years ago. (maybe 2007)

9CBAMaB.jpg

4bwaNCV.jpg

FVcZEiW.jpg

RNmTnqq.jpg

woUSLst.jpg

2go10Oq.jpg

..and now to something completely different ^^

I´m on it to make some of my SiFi childhoods dreams come true. Started with the Bandai´s TIE-Fighter

ZhP3YhH.jpg

NAXtCWv.jpg

oLrtgM4.jpg

Next kits will be a Colonial Viper Mk.I and the classic Cylon Raider, both are short-run modells from Moebius.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Nearly finished another little Hurricane.

Had the house to myself this weekend so I retreated to the balcony with a cheeky afternoon glass of red and fired up the airbrush.

Z4Ou2Vr.jpg

h2rkNN6.jpg

Some oils and detailing to follow.  I do love that great big roundel.  :happy:

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Incredible. I have those markings for my Airfix 1/24 version (work in progress). I doubt it will look that good.

Your patience is an inspiration. I just removed all the paint from the fuselage of my Airfix E ii because it just wasn't quite right. A few years ago I would just have said, "sod it. It'll do"!

It has been a while, but the Floh lives... and is driving me nuts.

fl07.JPG

• Upvote 1

This thread is great. I appreciate everybody sharing their work. Its hard not to get inspired, so I have a question to ask.

Any recommendations on a starter airbrush? I have never used one, but I think I had better start. 

4 hours ago, Cpt_Cool said:

Any recommendations on a starter airbrush? I have never used one, but I think I had better start. 

I use a cheap $20 Chinese knock off that I bought on ebay.  It's a double-action one with a gravity cup on the side.  It comes with various sized needles.  I use a .2mm for 1/144 scale, but a .5m needle would be fine for everything else.  I partner this with a cheap/quiet $75 compressor, also Chinese and also from ebay. 

These give an excellent finish and are very enjoyable to use and to practice with.  ;)

HB-BD134EKa.jpg.3b4fd0b1b0348052991cf1e7ab9a0635.jpgHB-BD134EK.thumb.jpg.07546dbd8e95b062022aa5efd95749f7.jpgcompressor.thumb.jpg.a0a89066773f3f07c3ceb5e41a122fb2.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Cpt_Cool said:

This thread is great. I appreciate everybody sharing their work. Its hard not to get inspired, so I have a question to ask.

Feathered is right here. You dont need a superduper high end Airbrush for learning and to archive good results.

After I had to sold my HANSA Aero Pro, I by a cheap Iwata knock off (Agora-Tec for 29,95€) and a relatively cheap Compressor (Fengda AS-18A for 69,95€) from Amazon...yes, I know, the capitalist thing...and both did their job very fine.

Little hint: You dont need to buy these expensive Airbrush cleaners. They are all based on Isopropanol. (pure Alcohol like the ones you can buy in every drugstore)  Just by a bottle of cheap Window cleaner. My one costs 0,70€ and its perfect for cleaning my brush from acrylics and enamel paints. On top, as long as you work with acrylic colours, you can use it for thinning as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting a new project today.  The S.M.S Koening from ICM in 1/350 as a Waterline modell.  It´s a very nice kit with a lot of details, but definitely not suited for beginners.

As if those over 560 parts are not enough, I decided to add a PE set from Tom´s Modellworks and gun barrels from ABER.

First steps here: Filling, sanding, filling, sanding, more filling...more sanding. Yeah, did I mention the good quality of the ICM kits here? 😋

Sorry for the bad picture quality. Light conditions in my House are not the best today.

IMGP0587.jpg

IMGP0590.jpg

IMGP0588.jpg

IMGP0589.jpg

IMGP0596.jpg

IMGP0591.jpg

My Airbrush "Cleaner"

IMGP0593.jpg

..and the brush

IMGP0592.jpg

The Compressor

IMGP0595.jpg

I think this little boat keeps me busy till christmas 😄

Edited by Semor76
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phew! Done.

DFW T28 "Floh"

1:72 ELF Model

fl10.JPG

fl13.JPG

fl14.JPG

fl15.JPG

fl16.JPG

fl18.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

On 3/8/2018 at 12:52 AM, STN said:

Ok, done. 
Junkers J.1, 596/18 

1:72 Eduard

kw10.thumb.JPG.19dacff422fd1f10127626aec66bb3bf.JPGkw13.thumb.JPG.2b356bd795397fc5da365e302a97879f.JPGkw14.thumb.JPG.50ff2ae660c4888932f516420dd66846.JPGkw15.thumb.JPG.e83207ee312aeb810848a16bae6bab8b.JPGkw16.thumb.JPG.a47f70a8c5fb6c7d029c87fd920d11f3.JPGkw17.thumb.JPG.b2f4965aea6e317155ef95ac19a1f3d2.JPG

Excellent. I wonder if I am rude asking you How much money do you take for building me a swordfish 1:32 with wire rigging. I simply suck at that, and no die cast available in big enough scale. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks LuseKofte. To be honest, I do not believe I would be able to finish something in 1:32 scale with acceptable quality. 1:32 is much harder with regards to weathering and similar features.

The other point is= this is only a hobby for me and would like to keep it that way. I would not enjoy doing it for money.

One last picture to for size comparison. 1:144 builders, please ignore this one :)

fl19.JPG

Edited by STN
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2018 at 8:55 AM, voncrapenhauser said:

Nice one Barron.

E Type Update, more interior and fuel cap corrections.

Dscf2111.jpg

Dscf2112.jpg

Dscf2113.jpg

I can smell the leather!

2 hours ago, STN said:

Thanks LuseKofte. To be honest, I do not believe I would be able to finish something in 1:32 scale with acceptable quality. 1:32 is much harder with regards to weathering and similar features.

The other point is= this is only a hobby for me and would like to keep it that way. I would not enjoy doing it for money.

One last picture to for size comparison. 1:144 builders, please ignore this one :)

fl19.JPG

STN that really is beautiful. Well done!

• Like 2

Another box opened. This should be fun... or not :)

heu00.JPG

• Like 1

Sort of. Focke Wulf C.30 Not sure how I will manage though. It seems to be one of those kits which leave plenty of space for improvising 😄

News from the dry dock.  Had a 3h Tamia Masking Tape session last evening.

IMGP0609.jpg

IMGP0604.jpg

IMGP0603.jpg

IMGP0601.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 12/10/2018 at 4:32 PM, STN said:

Totally understand your point and respect it. Had to try though ☺️

Looks good Semur!The moment when I removed all the tape after applying a difficult camo pattern with the spraygun and see the result,always fearing something went wrong,was always  the best thing in model making for me!

Here is a Type VII D boat I made about 9 years ago. It is Revells 1:144 U-217:

20181213_104612nrecc.jpg

20181213_104356i8daz.jpg

Edited by 216th_SilentEskimo
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Eskimo, that's a great take on the sea diorama. Very clever and a lovely boat as well.

Baron, that looks stunning. 

Here are the results so far of my Fokker

breeding programme...

Not great photo's..perhaps just as well!

20181214_141623.jpg

20181214_141849.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

A Bunch of Fokkers there Sallee........Cool.

More E type Shenanigans soon, have the Main body awaiting, been busy of late with trips back n fourth to Hospital.

Edited by voncrapenhauser

10 hours ago, STN said:

Progress on the FW C.30

I really love those odd prewar designs. And the fact that there are model kit 

Just saw this video on youtube and thought you guys might find it interesting. Wish I had skills like that to build one for myself...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Very nice. Subtle differences between areas and aluminium/fabric surfaces are lovely.

I wanted to get myself a metal spitfire plane. Can't really say why just wanted something more robust that more closely represented the real thing. This is what I found!

https://www.tailwinds.com/spitfire-metal-model-airplane.html

Too expensive right? Kinda would like it though, haha, basically a minuture replica of the real thing. If only I had money to burn! I don't suppose youre supposed to paint those kind of aluminium models? Anyone know of some nice, good quality metal WW2 AC models, that are not quite so expensive?

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, sallee said:

Very nice. Subtle differences between areas and aluminium/fabric surfaces are lovely.

Ditto, Nice job so far.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, Wolf8312 said:

I wanted to get myself a metal spitfire plane. Can't really say why just wanted something more robust that more closely represented the real thing. This is what I found!

Too expensive right? Kinda would like it though, haha, basically a minuture replica of the real thing. If only I had money to burn! I don't suppose youre supposed to paint those kind of aluminium models? Anyone know of some nice, good quality metal WW2 AC models, that are not quite so expensive?

Not so sure about a metal kit Wolf.

I have yet to see an accurate metal model of a Spitfire.

Any preferences on scale?, as this aircraft is well presented in plastic and other mediums with also wide price ranges and accuracy.

1 hour ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Ditto, Nice job so far.

Not so sure about a metal kit Wolf.

I have yet to see an accurate metal model of a Spitfire.

Any preferences on scale?, as this aircraft is well presented in plastic and other mediums with also wide price ranges and accuracy.

1-1 haha with the ability to climb inside and turn it on!

Nah seriously just something for a mantle peice really! Or a bedside table. Do you have any recommendations. I dont mind wood, but really I would like something that doesn't look or feel flimsy.

Almost done. Have to figure out how to attach the blades. I am afraid simply gluing them won't do due to their own weight. 

Spoiler

heu07.thumb.JPG.104423b67df1f300a2ebf294b5ba1a48.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:15 AM, Wolf8312 said:

A bedside table or mantle probably wouldn't want something too large or it might get knocked off too easily.  1/48 scale might be your best bet.

There are manufacturers like Corgi which do painted diecasts.  A cheaper alternative might be to assemble and paint one in silver like this fellow here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235048475-my-spitfire-ornament/&tab=comments#comment-3226371

• Thanks 1

Done. Bit of a fuss trying to keep the geometry at least somehow acceptable, but overall a nice little kit

Spoiler

heu11.thumb.JPG.405320620790c9075edc1b9a8a137a74.JPGheu14.thumb.JPG.f0745d2cb6ed653b63295685e143ccf0.JPGheu16.thumb.JPG.4b74ee94edce275ae85426796506b37d.JPG

1:72 Focke Wulf FW C.30

1936 Germany 

RS Models

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

That's just beautiful STN.  The silver finish looks great.

What he said! Very nice and very weird at the same time.