voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

I use the Neanderthal method. I bore openings into the wings/ fuselage and use gel cyanacrylic glue to fix a nylon thread in the opening. Then use hot nail or someting similar to stretch them. 

I know there are materials like "EZ line" and such, but am too lazy to give it a try :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, STN said:

I know there are materials like "EZ line" and such, but am too lazy to give it a try :)

Steel guitar strings make good rigging since you can a) "spring" it into the hole and b) know the dia for drilling the hole.

Apologies for the rubbish photo but this is the Tamiya swordfish with 10 gauge steel guitar string used in the float bracing. 

20160613_143148.jpg

Edited by BOO
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Really nice Boo! I used some thin phospher bronze wire one time. Like you said, cut to fit and "spring into place".

2 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Really nice Boo! I used some thin phospher bronze wire one time. Like you said, cut to fit and "spring into place".

Thanks - sadly my modelling day are over - skinning for BOS is a nice replacement though. 

Almost there...

sw13.JPG

Edited by STN
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

After 3 months I am finally done. Phew! The kit was more than I could handle (messed up the geometry)

Anyway, here it is.

Vickers/CASA Type 245 Spanish Vildebeest with floats 

CASA Vildebeest, T-16, Spanish Navy Air Force
San Javier base

1:72 Special Hobby

avc_00235689.jpg

sw14.JPG

sw15.JPG

sw17.JPG

sw18.JPG

sw19.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

@STN

i am completely bamboozled.
Or too uneducated to see it...
How did they drop the torp? The struts are in the way!

Do you know?
*scratching my beard*

Well done the Vickers Floatplane.  :good:

I would put it in a glass box to keep it dust free and eventually adding some kind of water texture underneath the floats with diorama liquid or gel. Or whatever it is called.

And just enjoy the result.

Thanks guys.

Regarding the torpedo- to be honest I don't have the slightest idea how it worked. There seems to be no launching mechanism on the plane, so it must be as Feathered_IV says. It probably just slid out the front.

Yeah, diorama.... I will have to skip that one for now due to lack of space plus me being completely inexperieced with modelling water.

P.S.: Another box has been opened. I was looking forward to this project for a long time :) I hope don't mess it up.

34756430_2028516943856799_9033709266065686528_n.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice one STN, very inspiring for me.  I'd love to do an RAF Vildebeest one day.  Good luck with the Floh!

I'm moving on too.  Done with the Hurricane IID, which worked out fairly well considering.  The next one's going to be a real Battle.  

i7UFzta.jpg?1

hnS9dWF.jpg?1

iH5hnvZ.jpg?1

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Been waiting for some upgrades for the 1/8th E Type build.

Supplied by a nice guy on Ebay, Decals for engine bay "stuff like the chassis plate and odd warning plates" sadly missing from a kit of this scale".

Decals for dashboard and including a nice touch "A Road tax disc" and various period stickers for the windscreen.

Also a carpet set in Biscuit which is a welcome addition from same guy, as the kit has just moulded plastic floor ....yuk!, that's simply no good for as I said a kit of this scale.

Dscf2009.jpg

Dscf2010.jpg

Dscf2014.jpg

Dscf2015.jpg

Dscf2017.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I suppose we should expand our topic to include tanks now.

This is an amazing hand made, all metal Tiger I.

• Upvote 1

Recently had another go at model making after a 20 year gap. First time trying to use an airbrush was a challenge for me . Half way through the build, still got the under carriage and prop to fit.

Mustang Mk. IVa No. 19 Sqn. RAF early 1945

20180716_213045.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 3/19/2018 at 6:26 AM, Gramps said:

That's so they don't see their blood when they get shot... Does seem a little bit off, but you never know. Detailing and painting look great! My projects always seem to stall when it's time for the airbrush. I have a King Tiger that has been waiting for about 8 months or so, along with the Lanchester that is ready for painting. I figured that if I have more that one project to paint I can work them at the same time. With that thought in mind, I have a 3rd project, just starting construction, and will do all three during one airbrush session. The added project is this Gaz AAA vehicle:

Gaz .jpg

Having been an infantry officer and experiencing machine guns firing by my ear I can't imagine how this guy with the binoculars isn't deaf (and not just for a few minutes) after the quad mount opens up beside his head.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:11 PM, Gordon200 said:

I suppose we should expand our topic to include tanks now.

This is an amazing hand made, all metal Tiger I.

This looks like 100% custom made metal component fabrication.  If so that's the most amazing model I've ever seen.  Hey, we have drivable tanks in BoX and will have the Tiger in Tank Crew.  

This is a DaVinci-level hobby creation.  I wish the creator would send me a link to where I can see more pictures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TP_Sparky said:

This looks like 100% custom made metal component fabrication.  If so that's the most amazing model I've ever seen.  Hey, we have drivable tanks in BoX and will have the Tiger in Tank Crew.  

This is a DaVinci-level hobby creation.  I wish the creator would send me a link to where I can see more pictures.

His name is Heng Long and he resides in Taiwan. He owns the company that makes RC models.  https://heng-long-panzer.de/en/

Here is one of his off the shelf models in action.

3 hours ago, TP_Sparky said:

Having been an infantry officer and experiencing machine guns firing by my ear I can't imagine how this guy with the binoculars isn't deaf (and not just for a few minutes) after the quad mount opens up beside his head.

Oh yes, the earlier versions of the german SPz Marder had the muzzle of the turret machinegun about half a meter left of the commander's head. No joy when it was shooting.

On 6/10/2018 at 6:45 AM, Feathered_IV said:

I think because it was so slow the torp just slid safely out the front.  

Rather late catching up with this thread but I suspect that the model is wrong: either floatplanes did not carry torpedoes or did not have strut between the floats (but the latter seem to be visible in the photo, unlike any torpedo brackets). There is a picture of a UK Vildebeest (with wheels) dropping a torpedo in the wiki page and you can see that the torp has to drop between the wheels: there is no way a torpedo could slide down in front of a flying aircraft unless it was rocket assisted.  The only other explanation is that the torpedo was supposed to be fired by the plane when it had landed on the water! Which sounds bizarre, but then again people tried just about everything at one time or other...  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Rather late catching up with this thread but I suspect that the model is wrong: either floatplanes did not carry torpedoes or did not have strut between the floats (but the latter seem to be visible in the photo, unlike any torpedo brackets). There is a picture of a UK Vildebeest (with wheels) dropping a torpedo in the wiki page and you can see that the torp has to drop between the wheels: there is no way a torpedo could slide down in front of a flying aircraft unless it was rocket assisted.  The only other explanation is that the torpedo was supposed to be fired by the plane when it had landed on the water! Which sounds bizarre, but then again people tried just about everything at one time or other...  

The Short 184 could drop torpedoes and in fact sank shipping with said weapon during WWI. 

24 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

The Short 184 could drop torpedoes and in fact sank shipping with said weapon during WWI. 

Wiki says this about the Short 184:  "The twin unstepped main floats were carried by a two struts attached to the front cross-tube and two pairs of struts attached to the rear cross-tube, both cross-tubes being arched in the middle to accommodate the torpedo crutches. "  Which I read a saying that the torpedo was carried underneath the struts between the floats, in which case it would have no trouble dropping. I cannot find a photo of one with the torpedo attached, but similarly there is no way that a torpedo can drop forwards of the aircraft carrying it.

What there is is a photo in this thread of a model.....http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50385

And in this thread a drawing: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/short.html

Both show the curved mounting for the torpedo beneath the struts in the 184.

It's been three years and a bloody awful experience, but I've finally managed to get Zvezda's 1/144 scale Fairey Battle from this:

ZBbmNEk.jpg

Into this:

a2C3L76.jpg?1

I can't even begin to describe the number of corrections needed to convert this Monopoly counter into a decent model.  There's light at the end of the tunnel though, and with a bit of luck I might be able to get some canopy masking and a coat of Dark Earth on over the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3