Photo

Model Pilot

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#521 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 02 June 2017 - 18:57

Im painting tiger wheels at the moment...... theirs loads of them but been using a trick i found on a modelling site , Paint the black rubber parts first then use one of those circular stencil templates to paint the wheels, its a lot more precise and a lot quicker. :)

test_zpsfyquqibi.jpg

#522 sallee

sallee
  • Founder

Posted 02 June 2017 - 21:33

Oh good! Do they work then?

#523 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:32

yes very well ,the template was £2.50 off e-bay and the circles range from 1 to 36mm which covers all tank wheels in 1/35 scale . :) will post a pic later on...

test_zpsfyquqibi.jpg

#524 voncrapenhauser

voncrapenhauser

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:36

Very nice of you both. Looks a bit shaky next to some of the other stuff on here!

Excellent Matilda.

Nice weathering there Sallee.   Pastels ? .

The Coutach was expensive in the long run but being a part work at least you can spread the cost better.

To buy the kit parts now all at the same time will save you a lot of money, but the kit option was not available when I started it.

Edited by voncrapenhauser, 04 June 2017 - 10:39.

#525 Space_Ghost

Space_Ghost
  • Founder

Posted 05 June 2017 - 14:52

Picked up a Tamiya FlaK 88 to put together as my first kit.

Hopefully be back with some progress pics before the next year.  :lol:

"Stop pulling so hard. You don't have to get someone under the gunsight right this second to win the fight." - Go_Pre

6700K @ 4.7GHz - GTX1080 @ 2.1GHz (11000MHz mem clock) - 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) - Dell S2716DG (1440p, G-Sync)

Proud owner of the Ju 52 and Yak-1B.

#526 voncrapenhauser

voncrapenhauser

Posted 06 June 2017 - 19:21

Picked up a Tamiya FlaK 88 to put together as my first kit.

Hopefully be back with some progress pics before the next year.  :lol:

That's a nice kit, I had that one with the Hanomag half track and crew too , back in the 80s'

It builds into a nice kit, good luck.

Edited by voncrapenhauser, 06 June 2017 - 19:21.

#527 sallee

sallee
  • Founder

Posted 06 June 2017 - 21:01

Excellent Matilda.
Nice weathering there Sallee.   Pastels ? .

It's one of the Mig dirt and dust deposits. Only the second time I've used it and I'm not sure I've got the hang of it yet.

#528 voncrapenhauser

voncrapenhauser

Posted 07 June 2017 - 14:54

It's one of the Mig dirt and dust deposits. Only the second time I've used it and I'm not sure I've got the hang of it yet.

Haven't heard of that product before, but it looks great to me,you seem to have got the sun bleaching effect spot on.

So in my humble opinion you got the hang of it all right.

#529 sallee

sallee
  • Founder

Posted 07 June 2017 - 19:51

yes very well ,the template was £2.50 off e-bay and the circles range from 1 to 36mm which covers all tank wheels in 1/35 scale . :) will post a pic later on...

Bought one!

Haven't heard of that product before, but it looks great to me,you seem to have got the sun bleaching effect spot on.

So in my humble opinion you got the hang of it all right.

Very kind. I'm reading the "Crucible of War" trilogy at the moment and there's a picture of a Matilda which makes it look as if I've underdone it!

Just going back to this, which I put to one side last year when painting the camouflage with Mig paints (which are like diluted ink) was driving me mad. About four coats in all! Now I'm going to cover all my hard work in crap! As you'll see, there were really big birds on the Somme in those days....

Attached Files

• Attached File  mki.jpg   267.55KB   0 downloads

Edited by sallee, 07 June 2017 - 19:52.

#530 voncrapenhauser

voncrapenhauser

Posted 09 June 2017 - 14:11

Nice one mate.

I always liked the ww1 tank design, that's a female Tank (one with guns)  if I remember the right terminology, I could be wrong as I am no expert on armour.

#531 sallee

sallee
  • Founder

Posted 09 June 2017 - 18:12

Nice one mate.

I always liked the ww1 tank design, that's a female Tank (one with guns)  if I remember the right terminology, I could be wrong as I am no expert on armour.

Quite right. A Mark I female. Oddly enough "Mother" was a male!
This is going to be a tribute to my grandfather who was a Sergeant in the Machine Gun Corps and slept under one on 14th September 1916 on the night before they were first used. I'm doing D24 and D25 which supported 50th (Northumbrian) Division as I think they are the most likely candidates. I have a little figure to represent him!

#532 voncrapenhauser

voncrapenhauser

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:32

Quite right. A Mark I female. Oddly enough "Mother" was a male!
This is going to be a tribute to my grandfather who was a Sergeant in the Machine Gun Corps and slept under one on 14th September 1916 on the night before they were first used. I'm doing D24 and D25 which supported 50th (Northumbrian) Division as I think they are the most likely candidates. I have a little figure to represent him!

That's cool having an actual connection.

My Dad served in No.2 coy Rifle Brigade during WWII in Italy.

I always wanted to do a large scale Bren gun carrier model that he drove for a while there.

#533 sallee

sallee
  • Founder

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:28

Italy? That can't have been fun. It is good to be able to think of it human terms. I don't know what grandpa can have thought of those tanks when he saw them! Must have been quite hard ground. I think some people were killed under them while taking a nap because they slowly settled into soft ground. Not a nice thought.

#534 Smouch

Smouch
  • Founder

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:02

The fortress I was working on nose dived onto concrete whilst I was trying to lay the top coat down :(

Bit of damage to the nose, not sure what it looks like inside.  Too scared to look.  I'll get back to it and see if it can be repaired.

Anyway here is what I have started on in the meantime...

Attached Files

Respect is something you earn. You can't beg, borrow or steal it
ASUS P5Q Pro, 2.4Ghz Quad Core, 8Gb DDR2 1066MHz RAM, GTX 680 2Gb, X-52 Stick & Pedals, TrackIR 4, Win 10

#535 voncrapenhauser

voncrapenhauser

Posted 12 June 2017 - 21:47

Italy? That can't have been fun. It is good to be able to think of it human terms. I don't know what grandpa can have thought of those tanks when he saw them! Must have been quite hard ground. I think some people were killed under them while taking a nap because they slowly settled into soft ground. Not a nice thought.

Not nice to think about for sure or talk about.

My Dad didn't talk about his war experiences with me until his later years.

He always thought we were not interested...and I suppose we were not until I was much older.

Italy in the The winter of 1944 ,I think it was, was no fun indeed as he was wounded covering a retreat from Tossingano after being pushed out by Waffen SS.

But at least he got a MM  and a letter from the King for his deeds and I will always be proud of what he did there.

But yes your grandpa in the trench warfare of WWI must of been some really tough conditions and a different kind of warfare also.

Edited by voncrapenhauser, 12 June 2017 - 21:49.

#536 sallee

sallee
  • Founder

Posted 15 June 2017 - 20:07

You don't get a Military Medal for nothing. I should think you are proud. Rightly so.
Grandpa was at Galipoli, but not at the beginning, then out to Egypt then back in time for the Somme, but not at the beginning of that so he missed the worst of them both. He went over the top at the Ancre and was nearly blown to pieces. Lucky to survive. I have his records including his medical records from the army which are not nice reading. He showed me his wounds when I was about 9. I don't know why me! No fun, war.

#537 STN

STN
  • Founder

Posted 19 June 2017 - 21:40

1:72 He 178 V1, Special Hobby.
I hoped for a nice and easy build of few parts to get started again. Nope.... nope, nope, nope... I think I will just shove it somewhere very deep in my vitrine and never speak about it again :D

Attached Files

#538 sallee

sallee
  • Founder

Posted 21 June 2017 - 19:58

Lucky you. That would be near the front of my vitrine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users