voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

Great work Carts! :good:

I would like to know which ones were made from scratch.

Talking about 'from scratch', do you know the works by Juliana Lepine?

• Like 2

Perhaps I should have been clearer,I meant that some,like Robocop Ive had for nearly 30 years and have been repainted,whereas the Batman was a recent purchase,I do a bit of scratch building,but mainly bases and diorama settings,and nowhere in the league of the work done above😀

Here is the figurine I made a few years ago:  a 1:16 scale Dutch Musketeer.

As you can see plastic parts didn't match very well. Took me quite some time to make things fit and make it seamless.

But at the end I am satisfied with the result. :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

My 1/6 Scale DAK Luftwaffe pilot figure. Modified version of old BBI figure “Otto Schulz”.

5E072A43-7280-43C1-9D50-6FBC40D8214B.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Nice work!

The Battle has finally got its main undercarriage on. The new tyres and hubs were painted separately then assembled afterwards. The oleo legs are st.silver wire, and I went to a lot of trouble to get the length just right. Measuring the height of the ground line in relation to the propeller hub to ensure that the overall height of the aircraft was okay. The doors and mudguards  were made from .1mm styrene and painted before fixing them in place with PVA one at a time (very tricky). I added the mysterious little rectangles on the wheel doors too from silver-painted decal film.  Not a very flattering photo from that angle though.  :unsure:

YWRAJUX.jpg?1

The rear gunner's position also got its canopy masked, and the starboard landing light was finally fitted. I also made the Vickers gun. Well... most of it anyway.
The gun is displayed in the stowed position inside the rotating cone which houses it.  It seemed the most likely place for it to be when the aircraft was at rest.  This also had the happy side-effect of keeping the barrel out of sight, so I wouldn't have to mess about making it. The drum and rear portion of the gun are there though, just behind the little triangular shaped piece of armour plate, so I made these from strip and rod and glued them in place.

eyO8PMm.jpg?1

Lastly, I fixed the gunners canopy in place with four strategically placed specks of PVA. This was an insanely fiddly job, as it had to sit at just the right angle and line up evenly along three axis at the same time. I spent an age fiddling abut with tweezers and dental tools, then in despair just stuck it in there with thumb and forefinger. Miraculously it ended up in the right place first time. Not wanting to tempt fate I quickly used my best 000 brush to apply the glue and stepped well back.

The light is a bit shite today, so apologies for the slightly fuzzy photos. Next up is the pilots seat and harness, fuselage codes, tailwheel and radio mast. Then its the remainder of the weathering. After that the Battle should finally be over and I can move forward, into broad sunlit uplands.  :happy:

9B7tfON.jpg?1

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Feathered, you madman, how many lifetimes did that take you to do?

I’ve made some models on the small side as well... they don’t look quite as good :lol:

7BA7F84A-2E8D-427A-9DD9-AC709BEB47BA.jpeg

(Also in this photo are a Corgi Panther, Airfix 1/72 D3A1 in Soryu colours and A6M2 in Akagi colours, Academy 1/72 P-40 N in No. 80 SQN RAAF colours, Revell 1/350 Type VII-D u-boat U-217, Hobbyboss Type VII-B u-boat U-48, Revell 1/350 Type VII-C u-boat U-96, Airfix 1/72 Albatros D.Va in Australian War Memorial and Red Baron colours, and Airfix 1/72 Hs-123).

Edited by PB_Cybermat47
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow, Feathered. You are one patient and talented nutter.

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 9:19 PM, Uufflakke said:

Here is the figurine I made a few years ago:  a 1:16 scale Dutch Musketeer.

As you can see plastic parts didn't match very well. Took me quite some time to make things fit and make it seamless.

But at the end I am satisfied with the result. :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Well done. Those things are really hard to make something of. Great job. What did you make the hair from?

• Upvote 1

Cybermat, who makes that little 1/700 U-boat?   I bought some Royal Navy destroyers recently for a change of pace and I'd love to have a sub or two to go with them.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, sallee said:

Well done. Those things are really hard to make something of. Great job. What did you make the hair from?

Very simple, I used the hairs of an old paint brush.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Cybermat, who makes that little 1/700 U-boat?   I bought some Royal Navy destroyers recently for a change of pace and I'd love to have a sub or two to go with them.

HobbyBoss makes them. They’ve done the VII-B, VII-C, IX-B, and IX-C u-boats in 1/700.

You can also get I-400 class, Balao class, and two versions of the Gato class submarines in the same scale, as well as a load of modern ships and subs. As a matter of fact I’m making the Balao at the moment.

http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?m=Product&a=index&p=1&id=166&l=en

I wouldn’t mind making some Royal Navy destroyers myself. Might look for an N-class to make a model of HMAS Norman, my Pa’s ship.

Edited by Pb_Cybermat47
  • Upvote 1

Ah thanks!  I'd been eyeing off the Flyhawk ones, so I'm curious now which kits will suit me best.  Looks like I've got some research to do.  :happy:

Nice figures there Carts great airbrushing on the T Rex and aliens.

Cool Musketeer Salle.

Excellent Pilot Pipa I have still got a few 1/6th scale figures in storage too.

I suppose I should pull my finger out and build some more on my E type.

Been too busy working on my 1/1 scale Mazda 6 TS2 getting it ready for paint.

Edited by voncrapenhauser
Added text.

HobbyBoss 1/700 USS Balao (SS-285). This was a very quick but enjoyable build.

E8ADC461-57AA-471A-A669-B8F55621C775.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Nice one Barron.

E Type Update, more interior and fuel cap corrections.

Dscf2111.jpg

Dscf2112.jpg

Dscf2113.jpg

Edited by voncrapenhauser
  • Like 2

Saw a 1/350 Type B-1 submarine the other day. Nice to see that some Pacific submarines are getting models larger than 1:700.

Of course, I was out of money when I saw it :lol:

Out of the box it has the markings of I-19, the ship that sank the USS Wasp (CV-7) and USS O’Brien (DD-415), and damaged the USS North Carolina (BB-55), all with a single salvo of 6 torpedoes. I’m going to try and make her as I-21, though. She sank 44,000 GRT in Australian waters and shelled the city of Newcastle, before being fought off by the coastal defences at Fort Scratchley - a place I’ve actually visited, and looked out from the gun positions onto where the boat was before being forced away.

Here it is built by a guy called “Toom”, with some aftermarket parts.

m69-486.jpg

@Feathered_IV thought you might be interested in this one, not sure if you’re in the same area as me though. Feel free to PM me if you are, and I’ll give you directions to the store.

But only because there are two of them in stock :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

VonC, that looks superb.  Takes the label multi-media to a whole new level.  :salute:

@Pb_Cybermat47

Thanks for the link!  I must admit my interest in submarines is usually for British and German.  When I go for Japanese subs it is usually for something much smaller...  I really like Kaitens.  :happy:

In the meantime I've been in training mode, learning how to make rib tapes in 1/144.  I'll need it for that Fe2b that I was working on a few pages back.  Worked out pretty good for a first go.

DAeu8Pf.jpg?1

E8Qg8mU.jpg?1

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Bought a HobbyBoss 1/350 type IX-B u-boat the other day, looking forward to making it.

Here’s one built by AndyC of the Britmodeller forum.

96D7D42B-9C85-4ED9-879F-1AB5CD9C5B63.thumb.jpeg.d6c03558e841c9084f017dd75541ff88.jpeg

I’m going to make mine in the colours of U-123, a boat that raided off the coast of New York under the command of former pilot Reinhard Hardegen, who died only a few months ago.

Edited by Pb_Cybermat47