voncrapenhauser

Model Pilot

24 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

The Short 184 could drop torpedoes and in fact sank shipping with said weapon during WWI. 

Wiki says this about the Short 184:  "The twin unstepped main floats were carried by a two struts attached to the front cross-tube and two pairs of struts attached to the rear cross-tube, both cross-tubes being arched in the middle to accommodate the torpedo crutches. "  Which I read a saying that the torpedo was carried underneath the struts between the floats, in which case it would have no trouble dropping. I cannot find a photo of one with the torpedo attached, but similarly there is no way that a torpedo can drop forwards of the aircraft carrying it.

What there is is a photo in this thread of a model.....http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50385

And in this thread a drawing: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/short.html

Both show the curved mounting for the torpedo beneath the struts in the 184.

It's been three years and a bloody awful experience, but I've finally managed to get Zvezda's 1/144 scale Fairey Battle from this:

ZBbmNEk.jpg

Into this:

a2C3L76.jpg?1

I can't even begin to describe the number of corrections needed to convert this Monopoly counter into a decent model.  There's light at the end of the tunnel though, and with a bit of luck I might be able to get some canopy masking and a coat of Dark Earth on over the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

A bit image heavy.  I hope this doesn't count as spamming...  :unsure:

It was a very paintey weekend.

pgNkoOj.jpg?1

eueUmRu.jpg?1

xDSGP2O.jpg?1

qX6S8XW.jpg?1

kSOLEvv.jpg?1

QCX8H0V.jpg?1

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Honestly Feathered, I am amazed at the level of cleanliness You are able to maintain at this scale.

• Thanks 1

It's pretty much clean hands, good light and strong magnification.  I think my habit of working as cleanly as possible slightly outweighs my natural clumsiness. Most of my modelling time is spent either wiping down, or crawling around under the desk, trying to find the thing that I've just dropped.

In good weather I often build with the windows open for all to see. The obsessive/compulsive guy in the apartment opposite admires the frequency with which I wash my hands. While the Islamic couple who live above him are deeply impressed by my piety, as I frequently drop to the floor with my head almost touching the carpet and begin wailing...

• Haha 6

Managed to mask and paint the new glazing.  Not easy in 1/144.

Also tried my hand at some shading and highlights with artist's oils.  Starting to look more Battle-like now.

YyNsLrP.jpg?1

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Managed to mask and paint the new glazing.  Not easy in 1/144.

Also tried my hand at some shading and highlights with artist's oils.  Starting to look more Battle-like now.

Very nice build and paint job - but let me ask a question? Are you some kind of masochistic person to build models in 1/144 with all

these details??? :biggrin:

I started building models at the age of 10 and used the scale 1/72, going then to 1/48. And now that my eyes are getting worse, I switched

to 1/32.

Really, amazing job you're doing.

Cheers

Recently finished the Italeri Hurricane mk 1. There was a few problems with the fit. Needed to cut best part of an inch to get the lower wing to fit !

20180805_181352.jpg

20180805_181423.jpg

Edited by TimJ147
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Hey guys,

I attended the IPMS national convention in Phoenix, AZ this past weekend with our friend GN728 who is an awesome master modeler himself. I wish he'd post some of his work in this thread. Anyways, the show was awesome. Really cool models. Here are a few pics. Some of you may like.

Jason 

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 8

I simply cannot comprehend the technique utilized on these models and the painting of them. Fantastic 

The models and craftsmanship at the IPMS National always blows my mind. I've had the opportunity to attend two of the Nationals when they were held in Virginia Beach, VA. Hopefully it will return to that venue in the near future. Thanks for sharing Jason!

19 minutes ago, JG5_Zesphr said:

Damn,  that F-100 tempering is insane 

Ditto I really love the heated metal effect in particular too........awesome metals all over.

Thanks Jason, for sharing some awesome modelling stuff.

Nice Hurrie too Tim.

Edited by voncrapenhauser
left out stuff
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Ditto I really love the heated metal effect in particular too........awesome metals all over.

Thanks Jason, for sharing some awesome modelling stuff.

Nice Hurrie too Tim.

Is really awesome

Resultado de imagen de F-100 super sabre

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, -IRRE-Therion said:

Very nice build and paint job - but let me ask a question? Are you some kind of masochistic person to build models in 1/144 with all

these details??? 

It's not that bad.  One advantage is you never have to worry about making throttle levers again.  :happy:

32 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

It's not that bad.  One advantage is you never have to worry about making throttle levers again.  :happy:

Yes, I know exactly what you mean - I just realized that my scratch build throttle levers in my the YAK-3 cockpit are gone. Was fiddling around

with these seating belts - apparently not cautious enough! Damn!

Did some dirt effects on my old 1/72 Airfix Red Baron Albatros D.Va: 

LiYWXuS.jpg

pR7L9vZ.jpg

WHzh9wI.jpg

5wWZoqq.jpg

FpqeUKS.jpg

VLdD22l.jpg

Also, I never realised that my younger self had left that hair in the engine :unsure:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

LiYWXuS.jpg

pR7L9vZ.jpg

WHzh9wI.jpg

5wWZoqq.jpg

FpqeUKS.jpg

VLdD22l.jpg

Also, I never realised that my younger self had left that hair in the engine :unsure:

IMO it is not bad start. In next model use more diluted color and plane will be much much better.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

LiYWXuS.jpg

pR7L9vZ.jpg

WHzh9wI.jpg

5wWZoqq.jpg

FpqeUKS.jpg

VLdD22l.jpg

That is a thing of beauty. Save that hair. You may need it for the weave.

• Upvote 1

Hey - there's my Viper! Didn't know there was a model forum here - will definitely post some pics...😎...It was great fun hanging out with you in that blast furnace of Phoenix. Glad I talked you in to going - now start working on your Trumpeter P-40...😀..

On 8/7/2018 at 7:33 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Hey guys,

I attended the IPMS national convention in Phoenix, AZ this past weekend with our friend GN728 who is an awesome master modeler himself. I wish he'd post some of his work in this thread. Anyways, the show was awesome. Really cool models. Here are a few pics. Some of you may like.

Jason 

IMG_3166.JPG

Awesome stuff Jason!

This diorama is incredible, but I feel like there's something missing on the tank.

33d9ab75f83ec902800d1be7a204b1ad.jpg

1/72 scale Typhoon IB, brushpainted and trying to represent one sold for scrap, very poorly photographed this morning.

eBsc8qe.jpg

qgQmoUn.jpgV2aNtAB.jpg4Dh49Kx.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here’s another kit I made a while back, the Revell 1/72 Fokker Dr.I. The one I made is the plane that von Richthofen was flying when he scored his last two victories and died, though it had updated national markings at that time.

gZN97H7.jpg

HwGhDzD.jpg

• Upvote 2

First the red Albatros, now the red Fokker.  I think I detect a slight Richthofen fetish there!  :happy:

• Haha 1

The guy with the paper planes is awesome.

I tried a 1/16th scale SE 5a out of paper a few years ago now and that was difficult needing an internal structure, but this guy takes the biscuit, my hats off to him.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 10:08 PM, Feathered_IV said:

First the red Albatros, now the red Fokker.  I think I detect a slight Richthofen fetish there!  :happy:

Yeah... slight :P

Hello again, I recently finished a Mitsubishi Zero A6M3 3A in 1/48 scale :

20180823_171535

20180823_17153920180823_171551

20180819_162936

20180819_163554

Edited by TimJ147
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic work everyone,  ive been away from my modelling table, been enjoying summer , getting back on track tonight, cracking on with the KI-84.

• Like 1

Some great models beong posted here,a bit gob smacked with what Feathered produces in 1/44 scale,I really need to crack off an Aircraft kit,but ive been on a sci-fi kick for a few years,heres a few ive either re-painted or started from scratch.

Horizon T.Rex

frUaP7.jpg

pweuHT.jpg

Aqua Alien from Ressurection

j8tl1v.jpg

1/4 scale Neca Alien repaint

lrdJpT.jpg

3gYlze.jpg

Biliken Batman and Joker

35w8M5.jpg

6Q0Vb3.jpg

Horizon Robocop