Rolling_Thunder

US multiplayer

It would be interesting to compare the BoS MP numbers 2 months after release with the CoD numbers 2 months after release.  However, I'm not sure that would be fair since CoD was still unplayable for many people 2 months after release.

No it wouldn't be interesting, becaus what was in the past is not relevant for the current status when we compare both games. Look, I try to explain it with my not so good english. I understand this, compare it to the release stated of CloD thing, but it is not relevant. BoS is released in the here and now, and it has to compete at the market which is now existent. It has to compete with the current DCS, CloD and IL-2 1946. It doesn't matter how they were 2 month after their release, because it is far to way back in the history. If BoS wants to dominate the market, it has to be compared to the current market leaders and their current status and NOT what was in the past. It's not working like that.

Istruba, yes that is true but we don't have any further data for BoS nor CloD. But we can make some asumptions based on those data's. Furthermore, we can see how many people purchased atleast the steam keys since the release on steam and are playing that game.

Sure you could compare, although I dont think its relavant to the discussion.

That's odd, it was relevant just a few posts earlier...

but for a new release I would expect a lot more.

Do you have a better chart?

You dont need a chart, just open clod, see how many people are in the servers, then open bos and do the same. You see that depending of the time, there are more people playing BoS/CloD, the difference is that everyone in clod is playing in just one server, while in BoS people are divided in more servers

You dont need a chart, just open clod, see how many people are in the servers, then open bos and do the same. You see that depending of the time, there are more people playing BoS/CloD, the difference is that everyone in clod is playing in just one server, while in BoS people are divided in more servers

Which is not true, because in CloD I see depending on the time 3-4 populated servers. 2 ATAG-Server, the Storm of War Server and the Dogfight-Server. Same for BoS and guess what, we need Charts because your method is simply bullshit. What about the Single-Player players? What about a great data set with several timepoints? We can actually see that in those charts.

We're discussing MP.

Yeah, and you don't see any connection between players, multiplayer and singleplayer playerbase and a success of the game...

Yeah, and you don't see any connection between players, multiplayer and singleplayer playerbase and a success of the game...

I'm sure there is, but we're still just discussing MP in this thread.

I'm sure there is, but we're still just discussing MP in this thread.

Yes, this is true, just like we are only discussing the reason the US servers are pretty much empty, not the European ones, per the OP. So maybe everyone needs to stay OT, instead of posting what is convenient to disagree and start arguments.

S!Blade<><

The OP's question was "Why are there no US MP players?"  It certainly seems plausible that we can look to European MP for hints to the answer.  SP, on the other hand, is completely unrelated.

The game strictly covers a Euro-centric event; paired with Cliffs limiting the playerbase as it holds onto players due its many years of building upon the core game (freshly released BoS has a way to go yet), Americans might be out of luck for now.

There is a metric ton of Americans flying simulator battles on games like War Thunder and sim-light offerings. BoS is an attractive and well presented game and could certainly get into a piece of that pie if it tried.

There's also an onus on us the players to create entertainment content and put the game into online gaming channels like Youtube & Twitch etc. I'd be straight on it if the only part of my flying which was entertaining wasn't just my taxi'ing.

Edited by tehJefu

any chart is fake.

never trust a chart unless you wrote it yourself.

better no chart than incomplete, misleading information.

It would be interesting to compare the BoS MP numbers 2 months after release with the CoD numbers 2 months after release.  However, I'm not sure that would be fair since CoD was still unplayable for many people 2 months after release.

I don't really think it's a fair comparison. We all know CoD was released before it was done and was a poorly handled development. That's the reason it failed. CoD was a new engine with features that (if the past is anything to go on) would still be revealed years after it's original release. Meanwhile BoS is not a new engine. While 777 studios performed a great service by getting the game to us in 18 months, they already had a working engine, which greatly reduced the development time and ensured a rather stable platform for us simmers.

Now if they started fresh from the drawing board, I doubt we'd have this game in the short time we did and there'd be no guarantee that the online numbers would be any better than what CoD's were.

I don't really think it's a fair comparison. We all know CoD was released before it was done and was a poorly handled development. That's the reason it failed. 

CoD fans are saying EXACTLY the same things about BoS now.  And yet, during European times, BoS MP is definitely busier than CoD.  Right now there are more than 100 people playing BoS MP.  Less than 80 are playing CoD.

Look guys .. CoD is CoD .. BoS is BoS.. we need to stop making these comparisons on every little detail.. BoS can stand on it's own merits.. I understand that comparisons will be natural.. since these are the only two dedicated WWII sims still being flown to any degree ... but CoD is CoD .. and BoS will never be CoD so it would be in everyone's best interest to just remember that when making comparisons. 

With 1946 you might as well compare

and get player numbers from

Ubisoft while you are at it

to compare them to steam.

People play on the Hyperlobby. 

We were given a fully fuctional mission editor along with coop,team.

and standard servers with the old IL-2 1946.

That filled the lobby and is probably the reason why the US BOS servers are empty.

And Bearcat is right there is no use comparing apples and oranges when it comes to diversity.

Edited by WTornado

How much of a donation would SYN need to move the server to New York?

I'm in Western Canada it it would be rad to have a server in the middle of everyone where English speakers play.

Honestly, the English Speaking community needs to build something. Clearly the Russians have. I see the same guys in the Russian teamspeak channels all the time.

The English channels are empty. There is no sense of community and all this screaming isn't bloody helping either.

There is a UK community but it's still separate somewhat. I see Leaf and his boys often.

Anyway, we need to grow the game.

Edited by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
  • Upvote 1

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/13896-new-wings-servers/

New York server run by very experienced and popular RoF team

"Basic Training:  This is our non-pvp server intended to allow pilots to practice with their various aircraft against enemy

aircraft in the AI Circles, bomb and strafe various targets in the Gunnery Range and attack marked strategic targets

marked on the map.  There is also a nap of the earth obstacle course to practice tight flying.

Wargrounds: This is our pvp mission oriented server featuring full real PvP missions against fellow players with scenario
based objectives in a realistic setting.

While there are still some kinks to work out, it is our fondest hope that you have many fun hours enjoying the game in our

servers."

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

you could set up your own server...?

I have to be realistic. While I love the idea I don't have the time.

I've been involved in online FPS gaming for years. I've had a couple of servers and they are work. Seeding them is difficult and requires multiple loyal people who are willing to fly 2 vs 2 for hours just to make sure their own server isn't dead. You also can't stop. This has to be every day or people will play elsewhere. You have to make your server home. People grow to love playing there and will join and stay even when server numbers are low. They know it will go off later.

That takes a lot of time and effort. I don't have the time in a consistent enough pattern to be successful.

What I do have is money. I am willing to front a monthly fee and contribute to seeding as often as I can.

Edited by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER

then ask the syn guys maybe you can contribute in some direct sort of way - best path is to shoot PM's, not to get lost in the clutter of the public discussion.

cheers Dak.

Edited by Yakdriver

I've been on US normal with like 15 people before. Rare though.

Just like Open RA..... NEED MORE PLAYERS! :)

Keep game expanding

Nice rage quit Johnno.

I would dearly love to see more people US servers. Why? Because I am in Australia. My best ping to Euro servers is 340. Please don't whine to me about 170 ping when I need to be psychic to lead a target.

Any chance we could try supporting Wargrounds this weekend to level the playing field a little?

the difference is that everyone in clod is playing in just one server, while in BoS people are divided in more servers

This is something I have ruminated on many times. I think it would have been a smarter move by 1C to limit the number of servers even more than they have to this stage in the product lifecycle. What good are a dozen servers with 4 players each?

This is something I have ruminated on many times. I think it would have been a smarter move by 1C to limit the number of servers even more than they have to this stage in the product lifecycle. What good are a dozen servers with 4 players each?

While I do agree that few very populated servers are better than a lot of low or very-low populated servers, right now the DServer tool is not available to everyone. If we limit even more I guess we would have more problems than we have now. 

I'm also one who support US based servers, since I live in Brazil I would have lower ping, but I have no problems playing with the EU people on their servers, never had lag/warping planes and other ping related issues.

Maybe I can help you ...

1. poor game design implementation.  No online Xpoints to unlock Upgraded weapons.

There aren't any weapon unlocks of consequence that can't be unlocked quickly in the campaign (for the record I don't like the campaign - but it isn't performance limiting for MP in any way). For example - the Yak has no weapon mods period, and the LA5 only offers a choice of HE/AP mix. Most unlocks are skins - woopdedoo.

No Lobby chat room in MP interface screen.

I've never seen a point in a lobby or chatroom - its a flight sim not Facebook. Voice comms on the other hand - mandatory. You have TS for that so the absence of built-in is hardly a show stopper.

No MP Coop Servers, No MP Coop Campaign Servers

Tell you what - grab some mates and join the same side in an MP server - et voila! you have coop. Why would anyone CHOOSE to fly against stupid AI when you have real people to fly less predictably.

No Dynamic MP Campaign Servers.

A key thing about MP is that it is as realistic as you make it. Plan and preflight your own groups mission within the wider server mission. Use some imagination.

2.handcuffed use of product                No FMB (I know, it is coming this month)

People currently don't even complete the objectives they are given. Most people whining about the late FMB will never appreciate the missions already created let alone author a mission themselves.

No user made skins, nose art.

Total show stopper for enjoyment .... NOT.

cannot use all upgrades and skins online without SP Xgrind

Last time I checked there were no flight model unlocks. My red Yak flies exactly the same as your green one.

no user made content allowed in game yet(user made static or active objects for

more diversity)

Show me a single commercial game that ever shipped with support for modding from the day it went on sale.

3.PR                                                      some, not all, PR is quite disrespectful towards customers: Possibly turning off

US customers from using US Servers(or any server for that matter) obviously, this is IMHO

I have no idea what you are talking about here.

While I do agree that few very populated servers are better than a lot of low or very-low populated servers, right now the DServer tool is not available to everyone. If we limit even more I guess we would have more problems than we have now. 

What problems would we see do you think other than people whining about the lack of a dserver that they will never run anyway? Don't misunderstand - I DO want a dserver, because I'm someone who will actually host a server. But right now, commercially speaking, it would be better for sales and new-buyer-word-of-mouth if there were a small number of full servers hosting quality missions rather than a large number of sparsely populated servers hosting a factory default air-quake mission. 

I'm also one who support US based servers, since I live in Brazil I would have lower ping, but I have no problems playing with the EU people on their servers, never had lag/warping planes and other ping related issues.

Your ping is significantly better than ours. Warping, while bad is not the first sign of latency. When you fight VVS you spend a lot of your time judging the break. Difficult to do when your opponent "sees" 15-30 degrees less angle off tail than you do. Also leading your shot by almost a full second makes things a little harder than they already are. US servers would be the fairest global compromise. Then my ping would be a fabulous 250.

OMG...

:)

Just tired of all the BoS hating. Harden the f$%k up everyone.

Edited by Dave

Your ping is significantly better than ours. Warping, while bad is not the first sign of latency. When you fight VVS you spend a lot of your time judging the break. Difficult to do when your opponent "sees" 15-30 degrees less angle off tail than you do. Also leading your shot by almost a full second makes things a little harder than they already are. US servers would be the fairest global compromise. Then my ping would be a fabulous 250.

Oh my, when I play on the russian servers I sometime get those 15-30 angle off and it drives me nuts!

About the hatred.... It seems that sometimes people go out of their way just to bash on the game, jeez... They like to focus on the flaws off the game (which can be fixed with patches) and forget all the good things in the flight sim, like the immersion that BoS has and I dont have in any other sim (the closest one is RoF). And I just mentioned one... Oh well, cant please everyone I guess.

Il_2_2014_12_18_13_43_09_72.png

Just open your pit/mind...

Landed successfully at the end ;)

Edited by ST_ami7b5

What problems would we see do you think other than people whining about the lack of a dserver that they will never run anyway? Don't misunderstand - I DO want a dserver, because I'm someone who will actually host a server. But right now, commercially speaking, it would be better for sales and new-buyer-word-of-mouth if there were a small number of full servers hosting quality missions rather than a large number of sparsely populated servers hosting a factory default air-quake mission. 

:)

Just tired of all the BoS hating. Harden the f$%k up everyone.

It is not BOS hating Dave it that all of us old pilots flying for well over a decade all

of the ''IL-2 ,Oleg Maddox 1c (remember his name ole Oleg?) games were spoiled.

Not mentioning Ubisoft...bad memories...hahaha

I know a guy coming out of the arcade game like Warthunder or World of Warplanes must

freak right out but we old timers that  used the FMB's and QMB's and coops and dynamic

servers for OVER a decade have seen richer immersive game play online and were spoiled

with all of those goodies.

That is it in a nutshell.                                                               439th_WTornado

... It seems that sometimes people go out of their way just to bash on the game, jeez... They like to focus on the flaws off the game (which can be fixed with patches) and forget all the good things in the flight sim, like the immersion that BoS has and I dont have in any other sim (the closest one is RoF). And I just mentioned one... Oh well, cant please everyone I guess.

It seems the same thing with wives. 

• Upvote 1