SvAF/F19_Klunk

Poll: Next theatre of War?

Next Theater of War  

1313 members have voted

1. 1. Which Theatre of War would you like the BoS team to adress next?

• European Theatre: Eastern Front (Barbarossa, Finland, Poland etc)
    • European Theatre: Western Front (BoB, Battle of Normandy etc)
    • Mediterranean and Middle East Theatre (East/North African, Italy etc)
    • Pacific Asian Theatre (Pacific ocean, Burma, Japan etc)
  2. 2. Which time period do you prefer

• Early war
    • Mid war
    • Late war

So, maybe this is a tad early to talk about considering BoS is yet to be released, but if this title becomes a success and the team can continue their work covering the Air War of World War 2; which theatre of war would you like them to concentrate on and what time period do you prefer?

Would you like them to continue to cover the eastern front maybe, or would you prefer them to take Northern Africa?

I have only listed 4 different major theatres, so after your vote, please let us know in text what part of these major areas that you would like them to adress: e.g "Pacific Asian Theatre; I would love them to take on the carrier wars because it has never really been done well" or "European Theatre: Eastern Front; Finland becuase I would love to see it re-done"

Well you get the picture.

For more information about the different theatres of war, have look here

Edited by F19_Klunk

A Med sim with North Africa, Malta and Italy featured would be great.

It's been hinted at by several sim developers but it never actually happens. Maybe this time :)

Edited by Mogster
  • Upvote 1

European Theatre: Eastern Front to begin with. We have a good base with BoS so I would guess that if they keep at it we might see new planes and news maps quicker than if they were to adress another theatre of war.

However AFTER that I would love them to take on Pacific Asian Theatre: The carrier war and the early campaigns such as Guadal Canal. I just love carrier operations and.. no.. it has never been done well.

Just to let you know we have a special board thread. ;)

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/21-polls/

And we have already a similar poll:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/248-poll-expansion-modules/

Oh dear.. I missed out on that one ..sorry mate.. well.. now they have another one then :(

I think it's very premature to talk about the "next theatre of war" (even though ppl seem to be doing it all the time)

With BoS we won't cover a "theatre of war", we cover the last half of one single battle!

To even suggest, that the sim should move on to a completely new theatre after doing just one battle on the Eastern Front, I find ridiculous.

I'd love to see the Med theatre but honestly speaking, jumping from one theatre to another might not lead to the desired quality and quantity of objects. As for me, we should first stick with the eastern scenario to establish a solid basis for further extensions. That means game modi, planes, objects, etc. The amount of work for one plane exceeds the value we know from IL-2. So it is even more important to carefully think about which planes/objects might allow for an extended scenario / battle theatre without the comprehensive work as it is required at the very beginning (right now). There are so many interesting scenarios at the Eastern front either prior or past Stalingrad, we should not leave alone before addressing a new task where > 75% oft the important planes have to be created (we could use some of the current German planes but when we would still need to build Macchi, Fiat, Spit, Hurricane, Blenheim, P-40, and so on..).

Just my point of view.. even though I'm an Afrika flyer ;)

I went for pacific, because a whole new dimension opens up, plus would help with navigation skills . . .

but its a big thing to tackle, and I wouldn't be mad if the devs chose another 'easier' theatre. Just because there was a lot of promised but not released features (like dynamic climate etc) 

Oh dear.. I missed out on that one ..sorry mate.. well.. now they have another one then :(

Oh well, you can't read every single topic of course before starting one.    ;)

It won't surprise me that after this winter Stalingrad a summer or autumn version will be released. Which is fine with me. :)

So we can strafe some boats and bomb ships on Wolga river.

And perhaps later on we can expect another Russian map like Kursk, Crimea, Karelian region. But it all depends on succes of BoS of course.

On the other hand I don't mind what theater of operations will be next. When map looks yawdropping, planes are well modeled, exiting missions etc I will be happy with any release.

Even PTO with carriers and lots of water. :P

Oh well, you can't read every single topic of course before starting one.    ;)

It won't surprise me that after this winter Stalingrad a summer or autumn version will be released. Which is fine with me. :)

So we can strafe some boats and bomb ships on Wolga river.

And perhaps later on we can expect another Russian map like Kursk, Crimea, Karelian region. But it all depends on succes of BoS of course.

On the other hand I don't mind what theater of operations will be next. When map looks yawdropping, planes are well modeled, exiting missions etc I will be happy with any release.

Even PTO with carriers and lots of water. :P

:) yeah.. I have actually missed out on the poll sub.forum.. but had a look.. and saw that Zak had a poll for lend/lease planes; Hurricane and P40.. that could open up for a swifter transition for Africa campaign AFTER they have done what they feel they need with Eastern front,,,if this project is successful...which it must be... This title/serie, imo, is the lone contender for becomning The sim. WT is far from what it could have been.. and Luthier's new kickback project.. we don't even know if there will be one

Edited by F19_Klunk

And people say I'm crazy for asking people if maybe they'd like to see 777/1C make a different type of sim in approx. 10 years time.

The game's name is Battle of STALINGRAD. Stick with the program. We have Cliffs of Dover for the Mediterranean and BoB already!

....... mid war(Mediterranean and Middle East Theatre), planes(quality) and quantity were almost equal...... so that should be the most fun for all flightsimmers.

i say, let them make some more Battles ( Map with its specific planeset) at the easternfront before changing the theater.

WHEN they are doing that, the MTO would be my preference.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see the Battle of Kuban next, since I want to stay on the Eastern front and the plane set is going to present the opportunity for a highly balanced and competitve gameplay. :salute: MJ

Edited by =69.GIAP=MIKHA

I suspect we will see evolution rather than revolution, assuming we see anything of course :sleep:

Something Eastern front, either just before or after BoS in the timeline.  Given we know there is a 190 and an La5, maybe Kuban or Kursk would not be too big a step.  A whole new set of planes, carriers, etc makescenarios like Pacific or Western Europe less likely as far as the investment needed to create them is concerned.

Personally I'd like to see Battle of Britain - Cliffs of Dover but playable perhaps - but I suspect there may be commercial issues with that...................

Edited by =FI=Nellip42

the Kuban 43 scenario would have some advantages:

- the german fighters are the same as in BoS , so 777 could concentrate on bombers and attack planes at least for the german side

- the soviets used a lot of western build lend&lease planes

- 777 could use its watertechnologie from their RoF channel map.

- Torpedoeattacks with He 111 and (a possible ;) ) A-20 :)

• Upvote 2

I chose the pacific mid war. The island/islands would be vastly easir to make. Only really needing landing on carriers to be developed. And I'm sure the devs could figure it out. I'd love to see the f4f duking it out with those zeroes while making the f6f or f4u as a premium plane. Not sure which japanese plane to add possibly the ki61? Player drivable ships would also be epic. But jow I'm just day dreaming.

• Upvote 1

Barbarossa, Crimea, Winter War and Kuban 43.  Either one of this would work.

It would be a crime to jump to a new theatre with so little Eastern Front covered.

• Upvote 2

I can see where releasing a couple more add ons set on the Eastern Front would be advantageous from a business point of view. It would be I assume, somewhat quicker to release, easier to expand the existing terrain map and add some new aircraft rather than tackle a new theater. Polish the game, add some features if possible and hopefully show some solid profits. Once that is done, please dive into a new theater, hopefully mid war to correspond with BoS and it's offspring.  

I voted for North Africa, but I could "settle" for a PTO sequel.  ;)

After BOS release, they will have a huge amount of Eastern Front specific objects and content. It would be a very bad business move to start from scratch with a new theatre, where they need new planes, new vehicles, new trees, new houses and so on. 

• Upvote 1

After BOS release, they will have a huge amount of Eastern Front specific objects and content. It would be a very bad business move to start from scratch with a new theatre, where they need new planes, new vehicles, new trees, new houses and so on.

I honestly don't see it as a bad business move at all, in fact I see it as the best option. The pacific or european campaign would garner a lot more american interest and lets face it. America is pretty big. Making the objects isn't that time consuming. The planes would take just as much effort as eastern front aircraft. The big time saver cor the pacific is the ease of map making.

However I do think they can flush out the eastern front a little more. But the bigger money lies in more well known theatres.

WE ALREADY HAVE THE MEDITERRANEAN FOR CLIFFS OF DOVER :rolleyes:

Without the Boston, Tomahawk / Kittyhawk??? No way! :P

Not to mention CR 42, MC200, MC202, SM79,.......

Edited by robtek
  • Upvote 2

my experience from onlinewar playing in classic IL2, the PTO is not good for onlineplay numbers.........servers and campaigns were mostly not very full. And from the midtime, it gets very unbalanced (please forgett the IL2 Ki-84 FM.........), just my point of view.

For singleplayers in US planes these easy burning japanese crates might be fun, yes.

WE ALREADY HAVE THE MEDITERRANEAN FOR CLIFFS OF DOVER :rolleyes:

CloD has the Isle of Wight painted yellow. I gave up on that sort of thing after pretending the Gulf of Finland was the Channel for years in IL2.

Personally i would like to fight my way up trough the low countries in 1940. But having visited Malta i also would love to struggle from Ta Qali.

I honestly don't see it as a bad business move at all, in fact I see it as the best option. The pacific or european campaign would garner a lot more american interest and lets face it. America is pretty big. Making the objects isn't that time consuming. The planes would take just as much effort as eastern front aircraft. The big time saver cor the pacific is the ease of map making.

However I do think they can flush out the eastern front a little more. But the bigger money lies in more well known theatres.

If that was the case, the DCS kickstarter would be racing toward the first stretch goal rather than crawling toward the base goal.

If that was the case, the DCS kickstarter would be racing toward the first stretch goal rather than crawling toward the base goal.

Thats a whole different project.

Yes, apples and oranges. Still, I think the game would be much more attractive to a lot of westerners if there'd be one or a couple of their planes present. Hence, I think the Mediterreanian should be the next location, you can easily cater Italian, French, British and of course the US over there. It's never been done properly before, so that makes it attractive as well. Not sure if they should stop the Eastern front after having done 10 planes and a single map there, might be better to expand with another one or two Eastern front scenarios before making the leap to the next theatre. The big question will be the commercial success of BoS, if it sells well, we'll see more, sooner.

• Upvote 1

Well that KS has nearly 1,100 backers after 10 days with an average pledge of $72 and that's without being able to show much real material at all. Can't say for sure how many pre-orders BOS has - there was 1,700 in the founders group as of yesterday but plenty more presumably haven't activated yet. Could easily be double that or more in reality. But that's after months of promo work, videos being released, good developer interaction & feedback, etc. If anything your comment proves that there is a great demand for WTO planes given that people are backing without seeing much info yet.

But to go back to BOS it's clear they'll go into WTO or PTO at some point - it's just a matter of when. There's big bucks to be made in those areas as there's tons of people who want to fly Spits, 109s, 190s, Corsairs, etc. While there's always those who say they want to fly various Italian and Finnish planes in minor campaigns they're just not going to sell like the big names will.

• Upvote 2

I would love to see the North African campaign from Gibraltar to the southern tip of Italy, including Taranto to be modelled, but I would hate to see the Eastern Front left undone, Kursk, and some of the Northern Campaigns would go down a treat.

I'd like early European, CloD promised a lot and failed to deliver a good working BoB scenario I think 777 could do a really good job but I think there is still much for 777 to do to flesh out the Eastern front and expand from BoS without having to create a whole new map and objects.

What they're going through is normal for Kickstarter's, a period of hectic activity in the beginning followed by another one at the end, and the middle bit is a trough.

Check Star Citizen's Kicktraq:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/#chart-daily

I'd like early European, CloD promised a lot and failed to deliver a good working BoB scenario I think 777 could do a really good job but I think there is still much for 777 to do to flesh out the Eastern front and expand from BoS without having to create a whole new map and objects.

So would I, and with 777/1C every plane will be flyable, including the Defiant, just need to be extra patient.

Barbarossa, Crimea, Winter War and Kuban 43. Either one of this would work.

It would be a crime to jump to a new theatre with so little Eastern Front covered.

+1

After BOS release, they will have a huge amount of Eastern Front specific objects and content. It would be a very bad business move to start from scratch with a new theatre, where they need new planes, new vehicles, new trees, new houses and so on.

+1 +1