Sign in to follow this  
=AVG=Zombie

Dare I?

Start another thread about in game name change? :wacko: Any thoughts? Should I or just leave it alone?

This request requires much database work and we are focused on more pressing issues at the moment. Hopefully we can find a way to do it.

Jason

• Upvote 1

This request requires much database work and we are focused on more pressing issues at the moment. Hopefully we can find a way to do it.

Jason

Thanks Jason.........

Jason

So basically if you cant im stuck using my long winded real name. Which is a privacy nightmare. :rolleyes::dry:

Edited by Flack88

So basically if you cant im stuck using my long winded real name. Which is a privacy nightmare. :rolleyes::dry:

Can't be worse than the guy I saw using his fullname@gmail.com!

Maybe they can give you a new account and shut down your current one? Granted you'd lose unlocks, it'd get you back in the air.. Did you talk to support?

Can't be worse than the guy I saw using his fullname@gmail.com!

Maybe they can give you a new account and shut down your current one? Granted you'd lose unlocks, it'd get you back in the air.. Did you talk to support?

....guess that'll be the easiest way for all those who wants to change it, I discussed this before with the support and as far as I understood is this not possible (new account).....but I'am not sure...

<SA> all! :salute:

....guess that'll be the easiest way for all those who wants to change it, I discussed this before with the support and as far as I understood is this not possible (new account).....but I'am not sure...

<SA> all! :salute:

So not worth asking for then? I dont really care about my unlocks I would just like to be able to play as Flack88 online.

Jason,

I'm one of those who entered their real name upon installation. I take it you understand the query during installation ('enter name') wasn't done right by the game and misleading. If it's too much work to correct in the database I suggest 1CGS support, on request of people with the real name issue, cancel the current activation and exchange for a new one. That won't cost you anything but will finally make the whole game accessible for those with the problem.

It's been a year...

MAC

• Upvote 5

That is a great idea MAC .. and HT.. Just adding another line for Username would solve that problem.

Not being able to change the ingame name is a major design flaw in my opinion.

I know of only one other multiplayer game (iRacing) that doesn't let you change the name and that is because they insist on you using your real name and not a nick. But they do tell you before hand about that.

The one year we had databases as a subject at school my teacher said that if we do not plan your database in a perfect way, if we miss san important factor in the beginning, if we did not think BIG - we would end up redoing the whole shebang.
and being noobs... we did. a couple of times.
It was not fun. NOT at all.

And it shouldn't involve a major change to the database if the name isn't used as a foreign key in other tables (which would really be a bad design pattern).

• Upvote 1

Wrote to IL2 Support with my problem and asked for exchange of my activation code, or a refund. Here's the replies:

19.Nov: 

Hi,

We don't have this option for technical reasons at this moment, and we're working on adding this feature. Unfortunatelly, there's no detailed info about the exact date when renaming may become available yet.

I replied that it's been a year and that even Jason had said on the forum there are other things taking priority and therefore it's not clear at all for me when I'll be able to use multiplayer with my purchase. So again, I've asked for an exchange, or refund. Here's their reply:

Hi,

Currently, work is underway to synchronize "Username on site" and "Username in game". We recommend that you wait for the completion of these works.

Nothing too committal here, but at least some information that will please the ones who want to change squadrons and the like. I replied by asking if they anticipate this to be functional before the year's end, in which case I could wait, otherwise I'd have to repeat my request for exchange or refund if unable.

This is where it stands for now, haven't heard back yet.

MAC

Edited by MACADEMIC

Thanks for the response Macademic. This is a huge issue for some of us it seems, im not fussed about loosing my progress and unlocks just as long as I can play online with my user name instead of my real one. :wacko:

Keep us updated on what they say.

Thanks for the response Macademic. This is a huge issue for some of us it seems, im not fussed about loosing my progress and unlocks just as long as I can play online with my user name instead of my real one. :wacko:

Keep us updated on what they say.

Yep Flack88, will do. Still think an activation code exchange would be the way to go for people who entered their real name, unless the mentioned solution's around the corner.  Small but significant game design flaw, shouldn't make the customer suffer for this for too long.

MAC

....like I said!

Trash my key, let me resign, gimme me new key! Dunno!

And more and more I come to the conclusion it wasn't my fault, it was definetly misleading!!!

It meant "name"! not nickname, pilotsname, gamersname or s/thg.

Won't see me online with my real name (not a fuzz, but I just don't want too!)

And offline the sim  gets boring very quick at the current state!

Pls. developers do s/thg. quick or I feel that I also will be a MIA!!!

v.Greiff

v.Greiff

Mac,

Trading keys seems reasonable. Deactivating a key and issuing a new one has to be really simple. Couple of emails tops. Set up one guy to handle it at 1c/777 for an amnesty week. Make the users get it done then or not til the actual fix is implemented at 1c/777's leisure.

They should be able to lose one guy for a week or ten days to get it solved and make these topics evaporate. Is the activation screen still worded poorly? If so, fix that too!

Edited by HerrMurf

I wouldn't make it for anyone. Only the ones who's user name matched their subscriber name. That sample should be relatively small.

Edited by HerrMurf

Hmm... don't know why they couldn't just add a cross-reference table... it's an easy way to adjust** your database design... the table would need REAL_NAME, ACCOUNT_NAME and CALL_SIGN or something similar. Then the MP servers can reference/validate your account but display your callsign (instead of your account name or real name).

** where "adjust" is a polite term for 20/20 hindsight re: said database design...

not that this has ever happened to me... :dry:

Sorry, but as a project leader for fairly complex business and financial applications, I find this statement rather amusing. By that I openly state I don't believe it one bit, whatever your reasons, time to implement it is not the one.

I'd fire developer from my team that would claim something like this as too hard or time demanding task. Whatever the software, user logging and storing credentials and rights are near identical at this day and age.

Given you have two competent programmers at disposal, it takes no more then couple of hours work for each to make web (even faster if desktop) application that can change any database field, however badly database is designed, without destroying data integrity. It takes even less for serious development team that normalize their database to at least 3NF. Worst case scenario, ask for volunteers in your team to do it over weekend and get payed some overtime. 

I have my name quite like I want it, but I feel for players that do not, and simply can't understand, or even imagine the reasons why you would not do this to make customers happy. It is very basic feature to begin with...

• Upvote 2

Didn't see it as a problem to provide them with my real name, as this is the matching name on my credit card. I saw entering my real name as a requirement for the completion of game activation ('Enter Name').

No reply from Support as yet to my request to exchange codes, or refund (respectively commit to provide a solution until year's end). Will keep at it, and report here.

MAC

I have my name quite like I want it, but I feel for players that do not, and simply can't understand, or even imagine the reasons why you would not do this to make customers happy. It is very basic feature to begin with...

Well, apart from the technical side (which I leave for others to judge), this is at the real core of the issue. There are customers who can't use half of the product (without having their real names disclosed), who've paid full price in advance over a year ago.

It shouldn't require much understanding of customer service basics to know that this needs to be fixed immediately, if there's no fast technical solution, then by administrative effort. Ignoring customer's justified needs won't make the problem go away. But customers.

MAC