BlackHellHound1

Great news for Freetrack users! Here is how it works now!

Thanks very much for all who gave advice here.  I am a longtime user of Freetrack.  Now I have made the switch to OpenTrack.  I installed version 2.3.1.4 and it worked immediately.

Thanks again.

Edited by JTurbine

Hi all!

I bought a PC, TrackHat, and IL2 BoS, I have been making progress every day of the week but at this time I have little problems...
First, I am using 3 LED Clip TrackHat with OpenTrack software version 2.3.9.
Problem one: When I look in horizontally, the pilot head do a diagonal roll.
Problem two: I can look down and the pilot head look down so much but when I try to look up, the pilot face go to foward and no look up... ...look to up just a little little bit.
Problem tree: I can not look the instruments, I try looking down, okay (as I said, too much) but i can not to approach the pilot face to the instruments.

Can you please help me?

Hi all!

I bought a PC, TrackHat, and IL2 BoS, I have been making progress every day of the week but at this time I have little problems...

First, I am using 3 LED Clip TrackHat with OpenTrack software version 2.3.9.

Problem one: When I look in horizontally, the pilot head do a diagonal roll.

Problem two: I can look down and the pilot head look down so much but when I try to look up, the pilot face go to foward and no look up... ...look to up just a little little bit.

Problem tree: I can not look the instruments, I try looking down, okay (as I said, too much) but i can not to approach the pilot face to the instruments.

Can you please help me?

Problem one:

You can just disable roll by lowering the curve under mapping to zero in openhat. I only recently started using it. It is not needed. However if you do feel it is needed or nice to have, you really have to be careful with the roll curve in the mapping. You want it smoother and longer than normal, relative to the x, y, z axis' - basically I determined it's curve by noting when it ONLY kicked in when I actually wanted it to! ie avoiding your issue! I don't want roll when I check my 3 or 9 o'clock!

Problem two:

This can be a combination of things. You NEED to have a keybind (key or joystick) that re-centers the tracking software. In opentrack Go to options > shortcuts > center (set keybind there)

Camera position will also affect the translation a lot. For example I used a huge sony vizio 1080p TV for gaming for awhile. The camera sat much higher than my head. So in turn I had to set the camera pitch to reflect this. In opentrack Go to options > camera > pitch and change this value, you will have to experiment. A value of 5 +/- can make a world of difference, then maybe you can fine tune it even more. When testing always sit neutral with height and look directly at the center of your monitor, then hit the key that you have set to center the tracking software. You want to have your camera pointed directly at your head. I use the track hat so all my leds are very centered. I know the clip offsets to one side, so as far as specific settings with that you're on your own. 

I just got a nice ultra-wide monitor which is is much shorter than my old TV I was using. So in turn my tracking translation feels more amazing. Regardless though you also need to pay attention to the little things. For example if I'm playing ground attack, I will purposely center my head and look SLIGHTLY up THEN hit the center keybind. In turn now when I return my head to "neutral position" I am actually looking slighty down more, which is great for scoping out targets on the ground or managing your plane and looking at your instrument panel. I do the same thing but reversed if engaging (or running from) fighters. Look slightly down, hit center, return head to normal, now looking straight up or your high six will translate smoother.

Problem three:

This sounds like the same sort of problem as problem two. You need to adjust all your curves, along with keeping in mind and trying what I have already described. Everyone is different and prefers different feeling tracking, body height, monitor size, camera position ect.

But here is my IL2 settings for opentrack. Don't panic if it doesn't feel right. The first thing to do is change the camera pitch and set up the center keybind of your choice! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ba8e2x9abckp9s8/IL2%20BOS.ini?dl=0

In opentrack go to > profile drop down button > open configuration directory. Move my .ini file into that folder. Restart opentrack, (by default it will say "default.ini" with an orange icon, click that) > select my "IL2 BOS.ini" file.

Just keep in mind you will have to really experiment with your settings. But hopefully my settings will give you a jump start! And remember that 'center' button you have set is your friend! 

Additional note... I am currently using a 34" ultrawide monitor. So if anything, curve wise, you might need to "tighten up" or shorten the pitch and yaw mapping curve (assuming you have a normalish monitor here) , as you will see my top point is at the 30 mark, you might need to move that top point a bit to the left (or else you would have to look PAST your monitor edge) --- you should look at the curves and move your head to see the effect. Remember to hit center with your bloody head centered first though! :)

Another thought, I am not sure if the .ini actually sets the protocol. In case it doesn't, I have mine set to "freetrack 2.0 enhanced" so you know...

Very very thanks for reply!
I'm at work now but i will try to do all you have said when i go home!
I'm so very happy with your atention.
I have a 29" UltraWide LG monitor, then your settings profile will help a lot!!
I have setted the center button on my T.16000 stick and it is working well.

Thank you a lot! :salute:

I have good and bad news.

Well, now i can look to both sides without head look to below, very good, but it is happening something really bad, when i look to side or looking down, the head is "shaking", this videos shows what is happening:

Video 1:

Video 2:

Edited by KurtWelter

I noticed that you do not have a filter selected to use. See #3:

post-20713-0-18497400-1515932457_thumb.png

Select the accela filter and then you can adjust the sensitivity for the x,y,z axis. Helps control minor input changes.

post-20713-0-88237300-1515932669_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

I have good and bad news.

Well, now i can look to both sides without head look to below, very good, but it is happening something really bad, when i look to side or looking down, the head is "shaking", this videos shows what is happening:

I also noticed that have not yet calibrated your clip. 

Go to your track-clip settings and at the bottom, you will see a calibrated setting. Will make tracking more precise.

Combined with the accela filter. your problems should be fixed.

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Lol, I don't know how I missed that! 

Was trying out FaceTrackNoIR yesterday, with the settings to use both protocals and the legacy TrackIR setting in startup.cfg I got it running.  Quite impressive but alas I am flying from a laptop and the built in cam is only capable of 30fps which made for a non smooth experience.

Question for myself is weather to bother investing in an OpenTrack setup or wait with baited breath for my VR HMD to come down the line (Pimax 8K backer).  I think I might go with the OpenTrack solution with a PSEye camera, at least for my home monitor which I play on when not on the road.  I would prefer the 1 to 1 tracking VR gives but with dog fighting, at the moment with just the hat switch, I have very poor situational awareness and tracking.

With the FaceTrackNoIR, at least I was able to constantly scan the sky and have an idea of where my place was flying LOL.  Even if not smooth.  Not sure how much better the IR/LED setup is with a fast cam over Face but it might be lighter load on the computer to track.  Interesting though - non the less and I can't wait until the HMD arrives with decent inside/out tracking and depth perception.

Was trying out FaceTrackNoIR yesterday, with the settings to use both protocals and the legacy TrackIR setting in startup.cfg I got it running.  Quite impressive but alas I am flying from a laptop and the built in cam is only capable of 30fps which made for a non smooth experience.

Question for myself is weather to bother investing in an OpenTrack setup or wait with baited breath for my VR HMD to come down the line (Pimax 8K backer).  I think I might go with the OpenTrack solution with a PSEye camera, at least for my home monitor which I play on when not on the road.  I would prefer the 1 to 1 tracking VR gives but with dog fighting, at the moment with just the hat switch, I have very poor situational awareness and tracking.

With the FaceTrackNoIR, at least I was able to constantly scan the sky and have an idea of where my place was flying LOL.  Even if not smooth.  Not sure how much better the IR/LED setup is with a fast cam over Face but it might be lighter load on the computer to track.  Interesting though - non the less and I can't wait until the HMD arrives with decent inside/out tracking and depth perception.

It depends on how long until your VR HMD arrives. Given that with kickstarter you never really know when it might arrive, it might indeed be smart to invest in an OpenTrack setup. 

Of course, you need to make the decision but let me give you some of my thoughts and experiences.

Firstly, with OpenTrack, you do indeed not get 1 to 1 tracking. However, I can say from experience that you get used to the movement quickly. Just a few hours or days of flying and you will not even notice that you don't move your head as much as it does on screen. It just feels natural. I totally see your point but I would not worry about it too much.

Of course, the switch from OpenTrack to VR will require some time to readjust but even that should not be a big deal. I have changed my tracking curves of my OpenTrack profile just a few days ago (reinstall of my PC). I made some drastic changes to make it feel more smooth (no deadzones and more even curves). I expected that it would take a few days to get used to but at the end of my first flyout with these settings, it felt completely natural. The jump from OpenTrack to VR is a bit bigger but I am sure it will not take much time to adjust.

Secondly, you will notice a large increase in situational awareness. Being able to search for and track enemies becomes a lot easier. No worries about losing the target as you switch between views. I would almost say that it makes fighting enemies easier although I still think that is mostly up to your experience and practice.

Thirdly, you will probably get a lot more enjoyment out of the game. The ability to track your enemy smoothly and without hassle give you a much more immersive feeling. 

Lastly, the IR-LED's are a whole different world compared to face-traking:

• More precise tracking due to the tracking of 3 precise dots instead of a large and constantly moving face.
  • Faster tracking (less input-lag) due to less calculating power required. The program no longer has to find your face in each frame but instead can simply track the 3 dots.
  • The higher FPS of the PS3 Eye (up to 75 FPS) allows for more smooth tracking. It can track your movement with smaller intervals which means that jumps from one position to another are nearly (or completely) unnoticeable. Combined with the correct filter (if needed) and you won't have any of these jumps. It will be completely smooth and seamless.

Whether or not you get a tracking clip/cap with OpenTrack is up to you. In my opinion, it is well worth it. Even if it is just a stopgap measure while you wait for your VR HMD.

I have no doubt that you will enjoy it once you have it up and running. 

BlackHellHound1

Hi  everybody

There is a new beta version, IMO smoother the the others and with the direct access to the PS3 camera in the OT menù.

Another good news is that the OT Sw is a portable kind of, you can save few versions in your PC at the same time and  "cross test" them with no issues.

this is the direct download address:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/823dd4wyhixv5a7/AACB1Iqquvia_keD9jUY2qFBa?lst=&preview=opentrack-test-20180104_02.7z

Just some tips:

check for the better threshold [2 trimming ways here :1st by sensitivity (min & max pixel size must be entered ) , 2nd by point size (automatic threshold "on" by default )]

make a good optical alignment between 3 point clip and the camera ( move your head backward/forward and pay a little  attention to the jaw,pitch and roll, in the raw tracker data window, if nearest the 0 value the better, try to obtain an ideal "1axe" going thru the optical center of the camera and the 3 led plan ) help to  get the mapping  easier and all the axes movements more precise

in the Model Position window enter the correct clip dimensions or run the auto calibration sequence ( move your head from center -> up->down->center->left->right->center slowly,one pass usually is enough and with a good precision)

use OT Wiki 

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki 

for the rest of the procedure

have a good time and....

Good Luck!

Edited by ITAF_Caster

BlackHellHound1, thanks for that advise.  I decided to purchase a Open Track 3 point system not long after my post.  I keep my fingers crossed for Pimax in their development of the 8K system and they have had a 15 million USD injection from the Chinese Gov which will help them as well.  Still, it might be May until they start shipping headsets to backers .  They have great potential even if some are wailing like little kids on their forums over CES2018.

I played more with curves in FaceTrack and had some 1 on 1 in QMB and, you are right, keeping sight on target in a dog fight is much easier with tracking even non ideal 30fps FaceTrack setup on a 15Inch laptop in Realistic settings.  Editing the track curves in FaceTrackNoIR on a laptop is not easy though, mainly a low small response in early stages and then linear for the rest off the movement.  I hope that is easier in OpenTrack.

Talking of which, Caster, thank you for the update, I will try when I get my setup happening.

The only other limitation is the small FOV of a 16:9 screen of which is another reason I am happy to wait for decent delivery of the Pimax 8K HMD as I think the 180+ FOV will be great for us fliers.  In the mean time I play with tracking and learn more about movement setups and diagnosis.

I noticed that you do not have a filter selected to use. See #3:

attachicon.gifot main screen.png

Select the accela filter and then you can adjust the sensitivity for the x,y,z axis. Helps control minor input changes.

attachicon.gif2016-12-14 08_25_45-Filter settings.png

Thanks for help!

You saved my game experience and now my TH is so much smooth.

Go to your track-clip settings and at the bottom, you will see a calibrated setting. Will make tracking more precise.

Combined with the accela filter. your problems should be fixed.

BlackHellHound1

I tryed to calibrate it but it don't work. I will describle what is happening later! Thank you a lot!!

Glad you got it sorted out, well, except for calibration. Try this: Start OT, open the calibration tab, and while in a centered position, click start calibration. Pitch up until you reach the top of your monitor, then yaw right to the upper right corner, pitch down to the lower right, and then continue this movement until you've gone around the monitor till you are back at the top center position. Pitch down to the center position and click stop calibration. If everything went well you should see a red cross offset from the 3 leds. Just make you movements a little on the slow side. Here is a link to a short video on calibrating. It's on an older version of OT, but the principles are the same.